• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favorite team

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    If you've played more than one Pokemon game, you've probably used multiple teams of Pokemon. Maybe you rotate them, maybe you solo games, or maybe you have favorites that you use whenever you can. Regardless, as you think back on the teams you've used, are there any teams or Pokemon that stand out as being great? Any you got especially attached to? Any teams you never felt a connection to, despite using them for an entire game?

For me, I use different teams in most games, with some common patterns (water starter, and if I can get them, Blastoise and Pikachu). Yet the team I really think of as my "true" team is my one from Gold (Totodile, Blastoise, Quagsire, Pikachu, and Noctowl). It certainly wasn't competitive, and it has a number of glaring issues. Yet I'm more attached to that team than I've been to any of my carefully-constructed competitive teams in recent years. What about you?

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Quagsire and Togetic were always musts in GSC. Quagsire was so versatile. I used Togetic mainly because it was so damn cute to me. I always get Breloom when I can. He's hench. I liked his RSE sprites better than his later ones but he still kicks soggy bottom.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Quagsire and Togetic were always musts in GSC. Quagsire was so versatile. I used Togetic mainly because it was so damn cute to me. I always get Breloom when I can. He's hench. I liked his RSE sprites better than his later ones but he still kicks soggy bottom.

I loved how Quagsire was immune to Electric. So much of my team was weak to Electric that it was nice to have something to check my friend's Ampharos with. Plus, the idea of a water type with some form of immunity seemed awesome at the time. The only person I played against didn't use any Grass types, so that weakness was never an issue. Swampert (and some others) can do the same thing now, but Quagsire's line was the first, which made it great. Plus, I've always loved its expression. Wooper was one of those Pokemon that I randomly caught, kept around for a while for Surf, and then realized was actually pretty good (at least for my team) once it evolved.

I ditched my Togetic soon after it evolved in GSC, but I've used a Togetic (now Togekiss) on HG, and it's been great. I recently tried Breloom out on some game (XD maybe?), and it had some definite perks, though it's not one I've personally ever gotten that attached to.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    I almost always have an Azumarill on my team for my play-through, other than that I generally just try to build a well-rounded team based on what I can catch along my journey, I'm not terribly picky.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I almost always have an Azumarill on my team for my play-through, other than that I generally just try to build a well-rounded team based on what I can catch along my journey, I'm not terribly picky.

How did you first settle on Azumarill? It seems like an interesting Pokemon to use, though I'll admit that I don't think I've ever used one on my team before.

Jessie

Years
    How did you first settle on Azumarill? It seems like an interesting Pokemon to use, though I'll admit that I don't think I've ever used one on my team before.

Honestly, I just used one for my Sapphire play through when I was little and it's just kind of become a tradition to always use one. I would say that Azumarill is definitely in my top 3 favorite, and probably my #1 favorite Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Honestly, I just used one for my Sapphire play through when I was little and it's just kind of become a tradition to always use one. I would say that Azumarill is definitely in my top 3 favorite, and probably my #1 favorite Pokemon.

Nice. I think I haven't tried out as many water types as I could have because I always use water starters, and since Gold, I've made an effort to train more balanced teams (i.e., not half water types). What are your other favorites?

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I think my favorite team is my HeartGold recreation of a team that got wiped from the original Gold.

Meganium, Pidgeotto, Espeon, Scizor, Arcanine, and Lanturn.

The little walking sprites really endeared me to them in this game. They were so adorable and it made me feel closer to my Pokemon. They were pretty much all pretty useful, but I found that Lanturn was especially useful in defeating Dragon-type users like Lance. A lucky freeze on Blizzard got me through that tough battle. Also, I did a special challenge with these guys. I EV trained them as I played through the game, looking up the specific EVs of each trainer's Pokemon and switching in the appropriate one or having some fodder for unwanted ones. Not for competitive play or anything. Just because I could.

Although my Black team comes pretty close.

Serperior, Stoutland, Swoobat, Volcarona, Swanna, and Excadrill.

Swoobat was kind of useless, but it was still cute. Stoutland and Swanna though? They were surprisingly useful. Stoutland took out Ghestis' Hydreigon with Ice Fang and I have just thought of it as a badass ever since. Swanna's combination of Water and Flying proved useful not just for HMs, but for countering a variety of types. And Volcarona? Once it finally evolved, it kicked all sorts of ass too.

Jessie

Years
    Nice. I think I haven't tried out as many water types as I could have because I always use water starters, and since Gold, I've made an effort to train more balanced teams (i.e., not half water types). What are your other favorites?

I've been enjoying playing with my Ampharos and Togekiss lately. Togekiss can kick some serious tail.

I think the team I'm working on now will be Azumarill, Togekiss, Ampharos, Noivern, Mismagius and an undecided fire Pokemon.

I kind of suck at putting teams together, but I have fun with it, so that's all that matters. :)

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
    I have to say my favorite is from a past Emerald run of mine. The team was:

Swampert, Exploud, Cacturne, Skarmory, Ninetales, and Flygon.

Exploud saved my ass in numerous ways, like my fight against Wallace. Cacturne missed a Needle Arm, and it used Ice Beam. Cacturne was left in the red zone. Then i switched out into Exploud, and went for the Hyper Beam. And he straight up one-shotted the Milotic. Cacturne was also my MVP. Possibly the best Grass type i ever used.

On the other hand, there is my Black team.

Sererior, Unfezant, Sesmitoad, Eelektross, Chandelure, Haxorus.

One of the toughest teams to assemble. I couldn't get Tynamo until after the 5th Gym, so i was stuck half the game with a Servine, an Unfezant and a Palpitoad. But it paid off really, really well.

And my very dear White 2 team.

Emboar, Braviary, Excadrill, Scrafty, Vaporeon, Flygon.

Jesus Christ, this team kicked major ass. With Emboar's awesome and powerful moves (Flame Charge and Hea Smash ftw), came my special Excadrill. If it set up Sandstorm and Swords Dance, it's practically unbeatable. It's probably my best sweeper in my ingame teams. Well, those are my three favorite teams.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2024
    The very first team I completed Kanto with, 17 years ago: Blastoise, Pidgeot, Haunter, Marowak, Flareon and Zapdos.

Nowadays, only Pidgeot remains a constant on my team.

Crin

Life is all about choices
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    My all-time favorite team I have ever bulit was on my first play through of Platinum.
    Torterra, Staraptor, Togekiss, Flareon, Raichu, and Floatzel

Years
    I'll never forget my first pokemon team ever: A level 95 charizard, with level 20-30 revive/healing decoys...
    My strategy for the elite 4 was:
    Lorelei: Spam wing attack on her dewgongs and flamethrower the rest
    Bruno: Wing attack/fly and metal claw for his onix (flamethrower for the steelixes)
    Agatha: make dem burn (basically just spammed flamethrower)
    Lance: wing attack/fly for the dragonair/dragonites/gyarados, metal claw for the aerodactyl
    Kaz(Gary): flamethrower on his exeggcutor/pidgeot/alakazam, metal claw for rhydon, wing attack/fly on the blastoise/arcanine
    It probably took me 50 tries to beat them, I was such a noob :D

My favorite actual team is:
    Charizard, Tyranitar, Dragonite, Alakazam, Nidoking, and Lapras (Fire red)

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    I wish I could remember my past teams as I know I have had a couple I was really connected to but its been so long that I dont remember who was on it. I know for usre I was connected to my first ever team on Crystal that included Feraligatr and Suicune (possibly the Red Gyarados) I really loved the water types growing up (since passed by fighting types). As for specific Pokemon, Swellow, Buizel, Infernape, Hitmonchan, Sceptile, and now Hawlucha are all very special to me.

As for a recent team that is very close to my heart is my current run in X that could even give my first ever team a run for its money. My team is Vivillon, Greninja, Pangoro, Gogoat, Hawlucha, Aegislash, Golurk, and Aurorus

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
    I've had so many varied teams over the years that it is only the more recent ones (that I spent more time designing and breeding) that stick out in my mind.

It is easier for me to acknowledge the monsters that I have chosen repeatedly to feature in my teams. One of these is definitely Pidgeot. I have always loved this gargantuan bird for its access to STAB Return, Quick Attack, the utility of Fly and the ability to cover a great deal of its own weaknesses with Steel Wing.

Another of my favourite players is Ninetales. It is remarkably versatile for a Fire Pokémon (with access to Psychic, Confuse Ray, Solar Beam, Hypnosis, Energy Ball, Dark Pulse, the list goes on). That in Gen V it gained the Hidden Ability of Drought made me fall for it even further. Plus, there is the question of looking stylish, which Ninetales pulls off with few equals.

I can rattle on about more. Maybe later.

drfaustfaustus

Not a real doctor
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2018
    I found myself getting really attached to the last team I had put together during a ROM Hack playthrough, which was:

Marowak, Arcanine, Nidoking, Poliwrath, Venusaur, HM Slave/Pidgeot.

It was so satisfying seeing my Marowak's Bonemerang OHKO almost everything, or my Venusaur pull out a Leech Seed-Sleep Powder-Solar Beam against enemies ten to twenty levels higher.

Back