• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favourite Game Developers

Years

• Favourite Video Game Developers

With so many games developers out there, which do you hold in high regard?
    It can range from the top dogs like Square Enix, to lower end companies, but still amazing like Gobo Games.

If you are unsure of some or need refreshing, here is a list of some of them:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_game_developers

Obviously, it is hard to get all written down, but maybe look at your game collection, then go from there.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
    Years
  • Nice....

My Favorite Developers are 2, I tie them both according to different properties.

Valve: Just which sane person would not like Valve, simply my personal best when it comes to quality of simplistic and addictive gameplay, backed up with so much love for the modding community. I simply love they way they are going. They definitely know what they're doing. Whatever game is to be released by them, it should be great.

Croteam:
    Well I don't think much heard of this a bit small development group. They are behind the beloved Serious Sam titles. What I love about Croteam is not basically their games, it's actually the love they show to their gamers. I notice that Croteam dedicates its game only for the fanbase, it features noway of corruption of gameplay. Serious Sam is a straight forward classic game, PURE classic fps. No silly money-juicing plans...just for their fanbase...I admire those guys for them to sustain the same gameplay of their title, regardless of how small they sell.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Atlus is probably my favorite of them all, I've never seen a game that they've made that I would consider anything short of good, they're kind to their customers, and they have a great backlog of games (such as Persona 4, which is one of my all time favorite games).

Monolith Software is also up there for me, they're games are always expansive and innovative, while at the same time the respect the player's time as well as the money they've invested into the product, and the games themselves tend to write their own conventions rather than feed off of cliche.

Capcom (as a developer, not a publisher) is also one of my favorites, having games like Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Resident Evil, and Dragon's Dogma (to name a few) also have a host of incredible games behind them, but the problem is...well, they're Capcom, and as a publisher they can get excessively greedy at times (though still not as bad as Activision and EA).

Square Enix is reclaiming its place for me. They too can be greedy, but in recent years they've been trying to innovate...everything. Games like Final Fantasy XIII, My Life as a King (and as a Darklord), The Last Remnant, and The World Ends With You are just some of the games that have shown that they have been listening to fans and critics and are trying to change up their formulas to keep things new and fresh (even if it's those same critics and fans that are bawwing because they are).

Though those are just off of the top of my head, though Atlus and Monolith are definitely two of my favorites (in that order), the latter two are simply notables.

Edit: Looking at Algo's post reminded me of another one that I can't believe I didn't add.

Level-5 is an incredibly talented, incredibly versatile, and incredibly innovative company that has so many conventional games behind it's back it's scary. Inazuma Eleven, which I discovered for the DS ("discovered", because it's not available in the States) is a jaw-droppingly fun Sports RPG that takes innovation in Sports gaming to new levels (it's rare for me to even look at a Sports title more than once); with it's deceptively child-oriented appearance, Inazuma Eleven is a game that actually has quite the dark story, especially for the message it tries to convey. On top of that, it's gameplay is deep and very fun, I'd say it (or rather, its sequel) is one of the best DS games out there and is certainly the best Sports Game in existence. That's just a single game. Then there's the various Dragon Quest titles that they've taken on, the classic Dark Cloud series, the ever-popular Professor Layton series, and a boatload of other titles and upcoming titles, Level-5 has truly given itself its place in Video Gaming History.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Rare Ltd. BEFORE they got completely owned by Microsoft.

My argument for this? Banjo-Kazooie (and Tooie), Conker's Bad Fur Day and Donkey Kong 64. Seriously, 3 classics for the Nintendo 64, designed with a blend of humor that just fits. Also, they stand up well against the test of time (Banjo-Tooie is still as brilliant as ever to me)... Oh yeah, and the infamous Battletoads apparently.

Need I say more? Oh... Also, they're based semi-near to me at this moment in time (Twycross, woo!)

Kroso

Sleeping soundly
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Dec 22, 2016
    The top three dogs of the PS3.

Sucker Punch - First game that I received that I got when I received and also the first game that I own, even though I used to have a PS1 but I don't have a clue how I got it. Though I've played their gem "Rocket Robot On Wheels" I feel like that game was underrated even though I had to emulate it, but the next two series were composed beautifully and showed that Sucker Punch was indeed talented.

Naughty Dog - Despite knowing that they made the original Crash Bandicoot before Activation killed it, I enjoyed the Jak series but Uncharted despite being good just doesn't appeal to me.

Insomiac Games - A big producer, even though Resistance doesn't sell much. f*** you COD
    However, I do enjoy the Ratchet and Clank series and after hearing that they're making a collection I'm personally excited.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • The top three dogs of the PS3.

Sucker Punch - First game that I received that I got when I received and also the first game that I own, even though I used to have a PS1 but I don't have a clue how I got. Though I've played their gem "Rocket Robot On Wheels" I feel like that game was underrated even though I had to emulate it, but the next two series were composed beautifully and showed that Sucker Punch was indeed talented.
    Wait...Sucker Punch made Rocket - Robot on Wheels? Dang, that was one of my all time favorite N64 games, I think I've got some new found respect for them, now.

Algo Fonix

oh god
    Years
  • Level-5, because of their wonderful work with the Dragon Quest series as of late. They've made the eighth and ninth entries in the series incredibly enjoyable. I also liked what I played of the first Professor Layton game.

Monolith Software... because if nothing else, they gave me Xenoblade. Forgetting that they gave me the other Xeno titles or Baten Kaitos... they still made my favorite game of this generation. I absolutely love them.

Genghoul

Composer & Aspiring ROM Hacker
    Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Oct 27, 2023
    Camelot, they made the Shining Force games (the good ones on Sega Genesis and Sega Saturn), the Golden Sun series, and Mario Tennis and Mario Golf.

Retro Studios for the Metroid Prime series.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • My favorite game developer (obviously) is Valve, I just can't stop playing Team Fortress 2 with my friends. It's very addiciting and I just love trolling with Spy and Pyro. o3o

Plus they made Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, another memorable co-op game I played with my buddies throughout the years.

My SECOND favorite game developer is Mojang, they made Minecraft, and building whatever the heck you want is pretty cool. Also jumping off a cliff into a lake that is in the top of a building about to be demolished by TNT is cool too, and I can do THAT in Minecraft.

Last edited:

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • Square Enix as I love the FF franchise.
    Atlus for all their lovely stuff.
    Bandi Namco for Tales games.
    SEGA (even though we get the short end of the stick in NA/EU) for Phantasy Star, Valkyria Chronicles, and the beloved Sonic.
    Nintendo, obviously.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I have to go with Nintendo. Compared to the other big platform makers Sony and Microsoft, it's amazing how much game development they do in-house. and have created some of the most recognizable characters in the video gaming world (Mario, Link, and Kirby to name a few). They've been in the industry pretty much since the beginning, and have produced many influencial, high-quality masterpieces in every generation. Also, Shigeru Miyamoto is the man. xD

Klinklang5

Bowties are Cool
    Years
  • Nintendo- Classic gaming.
    Team Meat- Some dark and twisted games, sort of like me sometimes.
    Bungie- 10 years of Halo games, can you believe it?
    Terry Cavanagh- Cool little Indie Games.
    Mojang- Minecraft...

Years
  • Atlus- I really can't think of a bad thing to say about them, and I've yet to play a game by them that I didn't like to some degree. Plus, unlike many companies out there, they actually LISTEN to their fans (most of the time, anyway).

Bethesda- While their games are filled to the brim with glitches, that doesn't stop their games from being awesome- in fact, said glitches tend to add to the hilarity of the situations that can arise in their games.

Square Enix- I can't say I've liked what they've been doing these past years, but they still manage to put some fairly decent games every so often.

Namco Bandai- Because Tales, which they've gotten progressively bahaha the opening song for Tales of Xillia is called Progress I made a funny hahaha... better with how they handle the series

Game Freak- Need I explain?

And I guess I'll give Nintendo an honorable mention.

Years
  • I guess the in house studios for each console developer are obviously pretty special. Although Microsoft's don't do much except Crackdown, which is awful.

I don't rely on too many companies to actually produce more than one good game series, and they'll usually disappoint me after I've enjoyed one of their games. Sports Interactive haven't developed anything except Football Manager really so they can still be in my good books.

I guess the only real one I can go for is Valve.

If it was my most hated game developers, I could roll off a huge list.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • I also forgot to mention NIS for their hilarious games, no matter how awkward they may be, and they tend to make characters so OP that it makes anime seem like a cartoon.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Nintendo SPD Group No.1: Warioware and Rhythm Heaven/Paradise are one of the most creative and addictive games to me. No other games bring me the amount of joy these two franchises do, it actually makes me feel like a child again, for better or worse.

Retro Studios: Donkey Kong Country Returns, if not my favorite, is one of them from this gen. Beautiful, charming game with the best level design to ever grace a 2D platformer. (suck it NSMBWii) Gonna give them credit for Metroid Prime as well, but I like the 2D games more.

Shu Takumi's Team: Yes I know I could just say Capcom but after the abomination that is Street Fighter x Tekken the Ace Attorney series is really the only thing I enjoy from Capcom right now. Big applause to Ghost Trick as well.

Bungie: I love Halo. However, I thought Reach was a huge disappointment

343i studios: Yes, I know they're new, and it's kind of weird to list them considering their only game that was released is a remake, but Halo 4 is really one of my most anticipated games this year. So yeah.

Namco: Well mostly for Harada's team, because I'm a big fan of Tekken. Pac Man is a part of my childhood too.

Next Level Games: Mario Strikers was one of the best multiplayer games I played with my cousins. (Though nothing tops Rayman Origins) There's also Punch-Out!! Wii which is a great return to a classic franchise. I'm also loving what they're doing with Luigi's Mansion.

Naughty Dog: Crash is the game of my childhood, and Jak&Daxter is an amazing series. Haevn't played Uncharted, sadly, but it's at the top of my list when I get a PS3. (Or a vita, whatever.)

Camelot: Not trying to be cheesy, but Mario Golf and Tennis hold a special place in my heart. <3

Kojima Production: Metal Gear Solid. I need nothing else to say.

Ubisoft Montpellier: Dunno if I should list this considering I only played Rayman Origins, but man if it wasn't the best game to play with others. Hyped for Rayman Legends. Zombie U seems pretty good too, but I'm generally not a fan of zombie games. (Dead Rising being the only exception.)

Oh crap that is a lot. Not my fault title said developers, OK? :(

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2014
    Nintendo - How could one not like Nintendo? (I respect those who don't.)

Valve - I've just gotten into them this past year and I love what they have.

Infinity Ward - Call me crazy for liking CoD. But Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 were amazing games. This year's Modern Warfare 3 isn't the best though.

Treyarch - The Zombies is one of their best aspects. Not to mention they make awesome campaigns.

Seiren

Playing the Spirit's Tune~
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2013
    Nippon Ichi Software are my favourite overall, because they cater to my every need. Hours of gameplay, mechanics that are as simple or as complex as I want them to be, and the best humour in the industry. I've probably put more hours into the Disgaea series than I have anything else, and their one-offs, like Zettai Hero Project, never fail to entertain me.

Monolith Soft have made my list for Xenoblade Chronicles as well, which is, in my opinion, the greatest game ever made, and given the state of JRPGs these days, is unlikely to be surpassed any time soon. Xenoblade was a joy from start to finish, and is one of the few games I don't have a single criticism for. It's as close to perfection as is possible for a game to come.

Gust also get a mention, for the Atelier series, which continues to surprise me by being consistently brilliant, and also for getting consistently localized. These big-name developers who make games that are practically identical every year or two could learn a thing or two from the Arland trilogy, which progress admirably in gameplay mechanics with every installment...and will remain a trilogy, since Gust know when to let it lie and move on to their next project. Gust are also unique in that their JRPGs aren't the same old save-the-world story, for which I shall be eternally grateful.

tri-Ace, and to a lesser extent, tri-Crescendo, have made some incredible games as well. A lot of their titles aren't very popular, but the likes of Resonance of Fate and Baten Kaitos are amongst my favourites, for trying to do things differently, and being something few other JRPGs are these days: murderously hard. They're also responsible for the Valkyrie Profile games, which I adore.

They're gone now, but I'm mentioning Cavia anyway, for Drakengard and NieR. Suda51 hasn't got anything on Cavia when it comes to sheer insanity. I miss Cavia terribly; those two games alone were enough to put them on my favourites.

Back