• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite Generation and Region?

Edsbob

TECHNOLOGY TODAY IS INCREDIBLE
Years
  • I was just wondering which generation and more so which region everyone liked the most.

This is based on just the overall thoughts (game play, landmarks, music, plot, pokemon/characters, extra features, etc.) you have from the games. You can expand on your thoughts if you would like to. And while we're at it, any generations you have missed?

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I think Hoenn is still my all-time favorite region by geography, but Unova comes close. Unova's Team Plasma storyline totally toppled my previous favorite of Hoenn's Team Magma/Aqua storyline though. :D

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • Hm, that's a tough one. I think, though, that my favorite region would have to be Johto. I've always loved the simplicity of the Johto region and I love the Pokemon of said region, as well. I always enjoy going back to Johto when I play SoulSilver and in all honesty, get more nostalgia returning there than I do when I return to Kanto. (Even though R/B/Y were the very fist games I played.) Unova, though, comes in a very close second. What knocks it out from being my favorite, however, is the number of cities it has. I'm not a big city kind of person.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I like Hoenn (Gen III) for its music and Sinnoh (Gen IV) for its storyline. I also like Unova for the Pokemon available.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • My favorite generation is gen V, just because I'm really weird about having everything included. So yeah. lol But for region, I say Hoenn. I know that place like the back of my hand and love playing RSE because of it! :) Aaaaand gen V will be even better because there will totally be RS remakes in gen V...best generation everrr.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Definately Generation III (Hoenn, R/S/E) Such great games yet so under-rated. They offered a great storyline, a handful of brilliant new Pokémon, soundtracks, scenery, towns, cities, landmarks, characters, plot I coudn't flaw it and also has great re-play value. Yet strangely enough, most people do when really I think it was better than R/B/Y & G/S/C. The only real reason People discredit Hoenn is because people had either A) grown out of it, or B) saw Kanto & Johto as the originals and just slated Hoenn because "it didn't compete with the origians" so don't Sinnoh & Unova?
    Anyway.. seconding what Syd said, Gen V will be much much better once the RS remakes come along (hopefully anyway)!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Unova. Best generation, best region, best everything. Well, will be apart of best generation.

Johto comes second and nothing else matters to me. :)

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Best generation:

1. 5 [Black and White]
    2. 4 [Platinum, HGSS]
    3. N/A [I haven't played the older generations yet]

Best region:

1. 5 [Unova]
    2. 4 [Sinnoh]
    3. 1 [Kanto]
    4. 2 [Johto]
    5. N/A

Vulpixel

Chocolate Milk
    Years
  • I have to say I really like them all. My favorite generation, though, is gen 5. My least favorite gen was gen 1, honestly. :/ Yes, gen 1 was the first gen and I should like it blah blah blah.
    But really, I find R/B/Y kind of boring. The towns are a little plain and there's not a thing to do after the elite 4.
    Gen 2 is really overrated.
    I think hoenn has to be my favorite region. It had some awesome towns, like Fortree and Dewford. xD

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • Not having played HG/SS or Generation V at all (DS issues) these are my opinions:

Favorite Generation is still easily Generation II. I had loved R/B/Y and played them a lot, when I got Generation II it was even better. It was like the perfect sequel in my eyes, it just felt like an improvement to Generation I, with no real big downsides.

I've never been big on the plot in Pokemon games, but I did appreciate how G/S/C were in the future from R/B/Y and made tons and tons of references which just made the adventure all of the more fun.

For music, I still have to give it to Generation II. There were a few songs I didn't really care for, but it happens. However I'd say that Generation IV is really the only music I can't get into, and that may be changing now.

For region, I've got to say Generation II again, right? Personally I did really like the look of the Johto region. Having all of the evergreens and the ruins and the old Japanese look. It may seem strange but I also liked the colors used in Johto back in Generation II (I also liked how night was actually really dark and not just a slightly darker tone like it is in Gen IV). Graphical limitations or not, it set a tone that I got used to and when Generation III came around and the colors were all bright things were different.

However, for diversity in a region it has to go to Hoenn.

I think I may end up liking Unova better though, because it has large cities and seasons. If I actually had to live in Hoenn I would hate it because it would be way too tropical and hot for me. lol

Last edited:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • The best generation, for me, would be Gen IV. It may become Gen V over time, but I'm not sure about the lasting legacy of it for the time being, despite the fact that, like Syd says, everything is included.

The best region, however, is Johto hands down. Playing it in Gold, then replaying it again in SoulSilver just reminded me of how rich and varied it is in comparison to some of the other regions out there. A definite fave from me.

Years
  • Fave generation: V, only because it's the newest :P
    Fave region: A definite draw between Johto and Hoenn. (Where are you, Ruby / Sapphire reamkes?)

-totodile42

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • My favorite region is actually Kanto. The original is always the best. However, my favorite generation so far has to be Gen. IV. @_@ I know, weird, right?

Years
  • My favorite region is Johto and my favorite gen is II (Johto) XD

I love everything about Johto; the places, pokemon, etc.

<3

UltiMoth

The Ultimate Ulgamoth
    Years
  • I'm actually a big fan of the 2nd gen GSC. Somehow, I think I enjoy the nostalgic feel of Johto and have become attached to the music in each of the areas. GSC is my favorite generation so far, but Unova really comes close to topping that actually. In Unova, you can definitely see more interesting variations in each of the towns/cities (from rustic to technological), and the 3D feel of it - esp. in Castelia city - was actually pretty impressive. But since I'm a nostalgic fan of Johto and have played GSC the most, it remains my favorite region above all.

Years
  • My favourite generation is definately IV. I love the story and the thematic motifs: myths, history and space because I like mythology. A LOT. HG/SS remakes were awesome, the best Pokemon game I've ever played is SoulSilver and Platinum is a very close second (Distortion world FTW!!).

Sinnoh is my favourite region, Unova comes second.

Back