• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite spooky VGM

pkmin3033

It's Halloween month, so let's get into the spirit of things with a thread dedicated to video game music that has a sinister vibe! Share your favourite menacing, disturbing, or otherwise creepy VGM for our listening pleasure here!

I'll kick off the proceedings with something from a game I actually cannot stand, but did a very good job at setting the mood:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's funny, it was a different Metroid game that my mind went to first when I thought of creepy track. This one specifically:

Years
  • Obligatory Pumpkin Hill theme. I got a whole playlist of spooky VGM if y'all wanna keep this thread going throughout the month!

Years
  • Feels like cheating using Luigi's Mansion, but this is one of the first songs I think of when it comes to video games Halloween music.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • was this thread made for me... lol i used to host dubtrack rooms for scary vgm during october years ago... too bad dubtrack is gone bc i don't have access to my playlist so i've undoubtedly forgotten some good tunes. i had huge playlists. but anyway my top picks are...

river twigz bed - super paper mario

scissorman chase (reprise) - clock tower

i don't know how the hell to make videos work lmfao????

god i used to know so much lol at least there's this thread now so i can rebuild my playlist...and this time save it to youtube instead of a site that wasn't very reliable (this is going to bite me in the ass in like 2031 or something isn't it lol)

Years
  • was this thread made for me... lol i used to host dubtrack rooms for scary vgm during october years ago... too bad dubtrack is gone bc i don't have access to my playlist so i've undoubtedly forgotten some good tunes...
    If it was October 2015 I think I might have been there! I'm really stupid for assuming dubtrack was still around... cuz now I lost my playlist as well and will actually have to use my brain to remember stuff. No spooky playlist either on plugdj either...

Anyway back on topic here's my favorite most unsettling song in all the DR games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • If it was October 2015 I think I might have been there! I'm really stupid for assuming dubtrack was still around... cuz now I lost my playlist as well and will actually have to use my brain to remember stuff. No spooky playlist either on plugdj either...

it totally was!! i remember that year bc i made vodka gummies and ran the room when i was done with classes that day aha. good times.

remembered another, which like. really freaked me out bc this is literally not even a scary game, but this is the first dungeon and there are people in test tubes and you get to see someone die. so that's. yeah. thanks!!!!! bamco!!!!!

rampant malice - tales of xillia

wow i figured it out lol

[C]

The Fifth Pillar
    Years
  • Spoiler:

1. Fantastic track from one of my favourite games, I wish it played more in the game, like when wandering around town.

2. Very tense theme from a game I didn't really like, I do like the realm ideas a lot.

3. Extremely disturbing and creepy theme, even more so when you know the context, not going to go into details with this one.

pkmin3033

I see Sonic OST, but I don't see Mystic Cave Zone. What is going on.

Also here's something rather creepy that is very difficult to take seriously if you've played the game and know what it's the background for:

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • Spoiler:

1. Amazing piece that not only fits the mood but hits you like a truck when you reach a certain spot in the game and just get filled with dread.

2. I found the zero gravity part pretty horrifying since you don't know where things are going to come from and sometimes have your oxygen depleted and this theme just adds to the panic.

3. I honestly want to put all of the dark themes from Metroid 2 on here, considering how each one is very disturbing as well as the Ing ones.

4. I'll never forget pressing that button and the words "Metroids have been released" displaying on the screen, nor will I forget how terrified I was to play that game in that one moment. This music just added to it all, let alone being themes for other creepy bosses.

5. Yeah, once you're discovered, this theme really shoots up as you are "literally" running for your life in that game.

6. The creepy atmosphere and boss fight was well complemented by this piece.

7. Just everything about this theme fills me with dread, especially in the context of the game.

8. Red sirens go off in my head whenever I hear this theme, and rightfully so.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Everyone who said Dead Space, Metroid, and Silent Hill I 100% agree with!

Years
    • Seen today
    Ikana Canyon from Majora's Mask https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuYCxuVKZkc

Clock Town, Day 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS_42yIISl8, I love the undertones, it's upbeat but behind it is a sense of dread, like most of the game carries. (Everybody carrying on with day to day activities, ignoring the end of the world). This song conveyed it perfectly.

The game had more of an effect at making me feel uneasy than a majority of horror games have. In it's own unique way, it could be classified as horror.

pkmin3033

I present to you all, "Please stop following me" the theme:

Also something I found kinda disturbing from Dark Souls III:

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I kinda hoped I could come up with more than one, tbh. Oh, well...

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years

• Decided to give some Indie love. Everything about this place just screams dead and simply listening to the track alone makes me want to leave as soon as I can. Add this with context and some of the more run risky enemies and you've got yourself a nice horror show.

Back