• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your First Anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2022
    I have vague memories of watching anime when I was little. I watched episodes of Pokemon and DBZ when they were on, but I never really got into them.

The first anime I really got into was Naruto... its turned into absolute garbage, but I still follow the manga out of nostalgia.

But the earliest anime I remember watching was a movie a long time ago... it was about some kid (or kids) whose mother dies and they move to an island and meet a seal who has a weird colored spot on it that reminds them of a soup their mother made, so they name it after the soup....

That is pretty much all I remember... does this happen to ring a bell for anyone? I've been trying to figure it out for some time now.

Rainy Day

Perfect Weather
    Years
  • My first anime was... well if it could be called Anime... Robotech. Don't really remember much about it. I think I liked it, though.

My "gateway drug" into anime was Code Geass though.

Years
  • I'm a little bored and curious and procrastinating so here's a poll!

What was the first anime you ever...
    • watched?
    • watched knowing it was "anime"?
    • watched subbed?
    a) Naruto
    b) Naruto
    c) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

a, b) Cartoon Network...ah, the days fly by. I remember watching the very first episode on CN, wondering what it was. After a few episodes I got really into it, and have never stopped loving. In fact, I'm about to watch an episode right now.

c) I really didn't know what this anime was AT ALL. I discovered it 3 years ago, when I was only 12. At then I really had no idea about what Haruhi was doing to poor little Mikuru about 95% of the time, but it was a good anime. It has a very special place in my heart.

The first manga I've ever read was きつねのよめいり (Kitsune no Yomeiri); Fox's Weddin. I'm a sucker for romance anime/manga, and this was perfect. I don't want to spoil it for others, I could go on about it for hours.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • a) First anime I ever watched was Beyblades, or maybe Zoids. I was into both at about the same time. Never watched many other cartoons at that age, though . . . even without knowing it, six-year-old me was a discerning fan!

b) First anime I watched knowing it was anime was either Sailor Moon or Ouran High School Host Club. I watched them about the same time (late 2008/early 2009) so I don't really remember, especially as I didn't watch much more for a year or more (suddenly noticed I had an internet cap so started reading manga instead). This is also my answer to c), because I watched them both subbed.

Between the two phases, I watched some Pokemon as well, but only a couple episodes. I only really got into the franchise after playing my cousin's Ruby eight years ago, and even now I only watch Pokemon because it's Pokemon, and not for any real entertainment value. Except perhaps nostalgia.

Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2012
    Umm..I used to watch multiple anime at the same time, but the first one, if I recall, was Detective Conan. I used to have this channel that daily broadcasted the show at 6:30 AM and I always woke up only to watch it, along with Pokémon and some others.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • a. The first one I watched was Pokemon or Digimon. I can't really remember.
    b. The first anime I watched that I knew was actually anime was Bleach, but I was watching it dubbed initially.
    c. The first subbed anime I've watched was Bleach, which I started dubbed then progressed to subbed when there were no dubbed episodes left.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    • watched? Pokemon/Digimon
    • watched knowing it was "anime"? Naruto
    • watched subbed? Naruto/Bleach
    :3

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • 1) Watched? That was Pokémon, waaaaaay back in the 90's when I was still a little kid. Not much has changed since then though. XD

2) That would be Bleach. My friend Kevin sent me a link to the first episode dubbed in English, and I instantly got hooked on both it, and anime in general.

3) That would also be Bleach. The moment I caught up to the English dub(which at the time consisted of only 16 episodes), I immediately went searching for subs. The rest is history.

As for manga, my first was probably Mermaid Melody, after I fell in love with the anime and wanted to get all the merchanise I could get my hands on. The manga was a little more mature than the anime(which seems to be the case with many series), and I wanted to check that out first-hand. ^_^

WhiteWizard

Mewtwo Hax enabled.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2011
    my first one was sailormoon! and i loved it... absolutely. I was ,ike 6

Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2011
    The first I watched knowing it was indeed anime was probably Death Note, followed by Monster.

rennir

Dragon Friend
    Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2014
    When I first moved to Canada and saw DBZ playing on some channel...I forget. Detective Conan is pretty close too...

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • What was the first anime you ever...

watched?
    That would probably be Pokemon, although at the time, I just assumed it was another cartoon where the characters did weird things like form giant tears out of the sides of their heads and do crazy stuff with their eyes.

watched knowing it was "anime"?
    I've watched a fair amount of Ghibli films knowing they were anime, but in terms of anime that aired on TV, that honour would be reserved for FLCL, which I saw about a week ago.

watched subbed?
    Same as above. I've seen Spirited Away subbed, as well as FLCL. (Although the DVD wanted to force me to watch it dubbed: took about 5 minutes before I realised the Japanese wasn't coming! XD)

Lunyka

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • What was the first anime you ever...
    watched? Speed Racer at the age of 4
    watched knowing it was "anime"? Inuyahsa at the age of 14
    watched subbed? Sailor Moon at the age of 6, before I knew what anime was even.

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
    Years
  • I have seen every episode of Digimon Xros Wars subbed so far. Next week will be episode 32 out of 52 episodes total. Does that count as "Completed?"

Starlite

extraterrestrial
    Years
  • Watched: Pokemon
    Watched knowing it was "anime": Card Captor Sakura
    Subbed: Card Captor Sakura
    Manga: Heck, I don't remember. :(

Years
  • Watched: I think it was Sailor Moon...
    Watched knowing it was anime: Inuyasha, years later.
    Subbed: Vampire Knight.
    First manga: Either Bleach or Vampire Knight, I can't remember which came first.

Zenith95s

El Psy Congroo
    Years
  • Frankly, my first anime was Pokémon then Beyblade :)
    And Pokémon is still my favorite anime but not Beyblade that much :( I never knew I was watching anime, but when I got into the net-world, my world changed o.o

a. first anime ever watchedPokémon
    b. watched knowing it was anime— Inuyasha, maybe :S
    c. watched subbedShaman King

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back