• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Forum Persona

Spiff

love child
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    We have a raging love affair with the internet. The anonymity that encompasses websites like this is sanctuary for us to hide in. It's a place where maybe we can get the attention we haven't gotten anywhere else, and why not? On the internet, you truly are whoever you wish to be. The world's knowledge at your fingertips, the time to think about what you say, and no crippling fear of being judged when you say it -- all while being nameless. There is an elusive intimacy we all have with it.

So Pokecommunty, who are you on the internet, on this forum? How is this person different from you irl? Do you like yourself online more?

In before "I'm the same" posts -- we're all different online in some way. You're either lying to us, or you're lying to yourself.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • yo I really am the damn same it's way too much effort to be two different people
    if anything i'm nicer irl because i work in customer service? but that's work, not social.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I would say I'm more or less the same as irl. I'm pretty nonchalant about things and tend to keep to myself, but I try to be an all-around friendly person. I guess online I'm a little more "out there", I'll share more personal stuff about myself and try to crack jokes that I definitely wouldn't in real life.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • It's too easy not to be.
    idk I don't see a point anymore personally
    I used to be happy peppy whatever but I got too much to do so I ain't gonna bother with splitting personas. I had enough trouble getting to the point of expressing myself super candidly irl and I'm not gonna waste that work by hiding it in another aspect of my life.

i dunno man I just think that since all of this is real, that since the interactions we have with anyone and everyone are pretty important, may as well be the same person when interacting with everyone.

Years
  • I would be banned right now if my personality here was the same as it is in real life. I'm a very uncaring, mean person in real life, and that kind of personality is not going to get me anywhere here, so I'm friendly here. I am still really anti-social here, though.

Years
  • I would be banned right now if my personality here was the same as it is in real life. I'm a very uncaring, mean person in real life, and that kind of personality is not going to get me anywhere here, so I'm friendly here. I am still really anti-social here, though.
    Why are you "mean" in real life though? If you can acknowledge that you're at least friendly here but not so much in real life, I don't see how you would need to feel rude in real life, really.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I'm more successful at being who I want to be IRL than on here, but that's only on PC. In other parts of my OTI existence and IRL I'm more or less happy with myself - I'm seen as intelligent, and good with jokes, I'm that guy that can be brutally honest if the opportunity presents, and I'm totally against the norm and have no concern with what others are doing. I'm good for giving tough advice and love to laugh. Can be serious when need be and lax when I need not. People like me for being real, and cool.

Still trying to figure out why I can't be that on PC, but can everywhere else.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • Yeah I'm not very nice irl. Openly spiteful and rude, both in behaviour and in speech, provided you can get me to actually open my mouth. Every other word out of my mouth is a swear, and I keep my thoughts and feelings to myself.

But online? Hell I'd spill my everyday thoughts right here right now if it were the thread focus, I don't care. I can be the friendliest motherfucker y'all ever did see. Don't swear as much online either but honestly that's just because of the forum rules, not how I'd actually behave.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I'm a lot more laid-back and chill on PC. I'm more "myself" on Twitter because it's so easy to just go on tangents on there.

irl I'm a very high strung anxious ball of stress but I try to keep that offline because I come online to unwind.

Bay

Years
  • I'm a little more quiet irl than online. While here and on other sites I won't mind talk about any series I'm into, in real life I don't mention some of those things like certain video games or anime due to afraid my friends might think of me differently. Otherwise I'm pretty friendly both online and real life.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    There's not much of a difference between online me and real life me, apart from the anxiety that I get when I interact in real life.
    On PC it's pretty easy for me to just say what I want, so it's like the real me without as many filters.

Years
  • The biggest difference is that I'm a bit more open about things on the internet than I am in real life. Without worrying about people looking at me and judging me (since I have some self-esteem issues), I feel like I can let my personality actually fly a bit more. Otherwise I pretty much do act about the same.

Although I might be a little more blunt about things online than in real life. Not to the point of being a jerk though - not on purpose, anyway! - just enough to let people know how I actually feel about something.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Offline, I'm very quiet; there's times when I've gone days without actually speaking

Online, well, I'm very outgoing, although my sense of humor takes some getting used to

Armed with my overabundance of useless information, I like to browse the internet for things to amuse me

...on another forum, I have nearly 22,000 posts after 4 years
    To compare, there's people that joined long before me with less than 1/4 of that

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I like myself a lot more offline than I do online. Online I think I come across as rather arrogant and condescending, or other things like that. I don't really intend to at all. I think it mostly has to do with how I type and the way I word things.

Years
  • I am way more chatty, fun and open online because I have no friends in real life, plus the online world is way more entertaining and full of laughter.

But in real life I am actually extremely shy and crippled by the anti-social issues caused by ASD, and as a result I'm usually insecure when I go out in public. In fact, due to said "no real-life friends" problem I often find myself closing out from the outside world.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm much the same, I'd say. Ask Went or Gav or someone else who has met me from here :) at least I thiiink they'd agree.

I guess I care much less about what people think of my interests here though. I'll always be a bit too worrying about what people think of me as a person, online and offline, haha, though I'm getting stronger. But yeah, I don't flaunt my nerdy side much at all irl. Because I don't want people to look at me and see "the geek", I want them to look at me and think that I am just another girly person. The offline world is where I live my life, but it's darn quick to judge sometimes.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    in real life i am a really stressed and nervous person, while online i tend to be more relaxed and silly.

i'd say it works out pretty well, given that i'm able to leave most of my offline feelings away from my online stuff. B);

Back