• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on cutscenes

TY

Cutscenes... They are in almost every game. Some of them are casted by real people, some are animated. Some are really long while others are short... In short terms, cutscenes are like mini-movies sometimes.

What are your favorite cutscenes? Do you think they are important for the story? What do you like about them and what not? Which cutscenes do you dislike?

Years
  • I have a hard time taking video game cut scenes seriously. It's a suspension of disbelief problem. I'm playing Mass Effect 3 right now, and everytime Shepard says something cathartic while clipping through the scenery I want to laugh. Something about the lifeless 3D graphics makes everything come across as corny.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
  • Cutscenes are something I always look forward to while playing a game. In games like The Last of Us, they are a huge part of the story telling process, and I love to see the story development. A lot of people don't like games with a lot of cutscenes because they're like "interactive movies" in their opinion. I actually really enjoy that.

And then there's games like Jak and Daxter or Grand Theft Auto where the cutscene begins a mission and is usually funny or entertaining in some way, so I look forward to those cutscenes as well.

The only time I don't like a cutscene is when it seems random or unnecessary. If a cutscene takes away from the flow of the game or doesn't make sense, that's when they irritate me.

TY

Cutscenes can be stupid like in Need for Speed Rivals where you cant even skip them and they appear a lot.

But in games like StarCraft and The Last of Us, its like watching a movie.
    I dropped a tear when i saw the betrayal on Kerrigan in Wings of Liberty to be honest

Sortiariux

Pokémon Wizard
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen May 15, 2014
    Personally I'm not such a huge fan of cutscenes, I feel that they take away from the game just a little in terms of flow. The only exceptions that I have for cutscenes is if they are introductory, tutorial, or ending. These events along with cutscenes make for a much better experience but in-game story advancement is disrupted with cutscenes that suddenly jerk the perspective of the player. An alternative to cutscenes that I prefer are those that give you control, such as the cutscenes in World of Warcraft how I am still able to move around and perform actions while seeing the story of a dungeon or that of Assasin's creed.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • Cutscene in games like Naruto I tend to skip, mainly because if you've read the manga, watching the cutscenes are pointless in the "You've seen one, you seen 'em all." Kind of way. I watch cutscenes in every other game in it's full-length entirety unless I've already watched it.

On a scale of 1 to 10 on how much I enjoy cutscenes, whether I've seen them or not? 3.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    I love cutscenes but sometimes the cutscenes look a lot better than the game does. My favorite would be the Dark Souls one how every time a giant beast comes out of nowhere he seems surprised even though everyone playing it is like "GOD NO PLEASE NO!!!!"

Crunch Punch

fire > ice
    Years
  • I like cutscenes, yeah. I do look forward to watching them in games, but like Chuckles mentioned they are sometimes better looking than the actual graphics in the game which can be a bit weird and can take you out of it just because of the huge graphical leap from cutscene to actual gameplay. Can't think of an example from the top of my head but I can say with confidence that I have had experiences of that.

When cutscenes are seamless however and integrated perfectly with the gameplay (example being Tomb Raider) it's much more natural and just... better.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    It depends on how well executed they are and the types of games.

For examples, MGS does cutscenes perfectly (well, the first three anyway). They actually add to the game design and blend perfectly with it. On the other hand, cutscenes on Mario Sunshine? I can do with out it...I'd prefer that, actually.

Oh and screw unskippable cutscenes.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Cutscenes play an important role in the story sometimes, and sometimes they don't. Either way, I like them—they're fun to watch! One of my favorite cutscenes would have to be in Need for Speed: Most Wanted (old version, not the new one), when you get to see Razor for the last time.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • They tell the story from a cinematic point of view, and help to get you into the game. I like the games with some brilliant voice acting to boot, or graphics and mood (Battlefield 3 has a good example; with Dima's speech after you capture/kill Kaffarov).

TY

Same, though im okay with that you cant skip them the first time as a introduction, but if you cant skip them every single time i just wanna throw the game in the thrash can >_>

Decimosoma

Free to dream, free to smile
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2014
    I'm fine with them, it doesn't really bother me, skipable or not.
    I'm very fond of the cutscenes in Monster Hunter 3 when you're about to face off against certain monsters.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2015
    I quite like them. It really depends on how much effort was put into them and them being paced well rather then extremely long or short and forgettable. The only time cutscenes really bug me is when it's to show things I could do, or when you take an action (like a QTE) and it plays OVER and OVER again.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • That really depends on the game and how the cutscenes effect the gameplay and the story. I mean obviously cutscenes are usually crucial to the understanding of the story, but sometimes they're just thrown in to have them, and sometimes they're just there for hilarity or as an indication that an event has been triggered. In some games I'm completely fine with them, as they feel completely natural and fit in with the game entirely. I mean some games are even based around cutscenes (Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, The Last of Us to some extent), while in some other games, they just ruin the experience and feels totally out of place. Some games also drag them out for really long (Final Fantasy :p), and I really would wish every game just had the option to skip cutscenes, whether you'd seen them before or not. I mean, I often really want to play Skyward Sword again, but the amount of cutscenes in the beginning that are unskippable, as well as just the amount of cutscenes to come just kinda discourages me, since I feel like Skyward Sword's story is more of a "first time" experience only. I know it now, and I loved it, but I'm not as interested in seeing it again, I just want to play the game :p The same thing goes for all of the Zelda franchise's other unskippable intro scenes; especially Wind Waker.

In the end, I'm kinda happy cutscenes exist, since they can give you kind of a breather in between gameplay, and at times they are really interesting or hilarious, and they further contribute towards games being considered art :p

大輔

Adventurer
    Years
  • I ove cutscenes to a certain extent. I think some games like the Last of Us or Tales of "insert name here for the many Tales titles", it creates a movie setting and creates reason to play the game. But sometimes, games are just fun to play all the way through without cutscenes to stop the flow. I think about old games, or games based off of older consoles when I say this of course. Plus, the story has to be good...

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I think cutscenes are fine, because they show you important parts of the story, as long as they don't interfere with the game for too long. I'd rather play the game than watch a cutscene. A game should have a way of relaying the story beside relying too much on cutscenes, though.

Nakala Pri

Can't really remember... maybe the intro on SolatoRobo: Red the Hunter? Or maybe Final Fantasy VIII's cut-scene where Snow saves Lightning and Fang by riding on the Shiva Sisters...

Effortlessly cool style. *puts on sunglasses*

Back