• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on the Master Ball

johnr754

I am JOHN, heck yeah!
Years
  • I only use it on roaming Pokémon. Except for some reason, not Pokémon Black and White. I have never used the Master Ball in Black and White. I easily caught Thunderus and Tornadus. Other than that, in FireRed, I caught Suicune in a Master Ball, along with Lati@s.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I never used it on anything. I call it a "gamebreaking" ball.

Yup. I've learned it the hard way after I used master ball exploit on Emerald to get 40x masterballs, used it on literally every pokemon I came across, then pokemon as a whole got REALLY boring at that time. I knew it was boring, but I just couldn't stop duping those master balls. It was like I was on a drug or something. (only as a 5th grader, mind you :P)

I'll only use them on critical emergencies, such as coming across a shiny beldum and it eventually struggles. Or something to that effect.

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • I have a level 100 Smeargle I've been using sense 3rd gen. It took me forever, but I was able to get it to learn False Swipe, Thunder Wave, Facade, and Mean Look

As long as you got a Pokemon with Mean Look or any of its "other forms" then you don't need a masterball. If it gets into "struggle zone" or has "roar" then it sucks (I think the dogs may of had roar)

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I don't use them any more. I have special pokemon breed just for catching.

Watchhog@Smokeball
    Mean Look
    Super Fang
    Hypnosis

Awesome at catching Pokemon!!

Silence Rewritten

Trainer/Breeder
    Years
  • I usually save it for whatever my target Pokémon is. Like, Suicune or Articuno if I can't get them too easy. In Platinum, I usually save it for after I get my National Dex so I can catch an Eevee. ^^

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
    Years
  • I never use my Master Ball, I always have the patience of capturing legendaries. All I do is to paralyze them and drop their HP to the red zone. if they're roaming PKMN, I'll use my Wobbuffet or Crobat with Mean Look then start throwing random balls till they get captured.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    For example if I have Soul Silver and I want to capture Lugia, I use Master Ball on it. It's tradition for me. I've always used Master Ball on first legendary I encounter. It may be stupid way in some games but so what. If I want to capture Mewtwo, I use Ultra Ball on it, simple.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Roamers or shinies. I don't want to take the chance of the shiny either running, or getting knocked out. The roamers I just have no patience for what so ever.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
    Years
  • I use my Master Balls for roamers. All stationary legendaries are at least kinda-sorta easy to catch, and you can always get right back in the fight if you accidentally KO it. With roamers, since they flee, I always use the Master Ball; it saves a LOT of frustration. The problem is, though, that with G/S/C and HG/SS you have more than one roamer, but only one Master Ball... Yet, in B/W, you have only one roamer, but two Master Balls. Go figure.

Years
  • I usually forget I have it, but I'll save it until i feel like restarting my game. I'll catch a roaming legendary or something, trade it to another game, and then restart that game.

SS01

#PoC Collab
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Being a devoted shiny hunter, I usually save mine for that time where your hatching eggs so all you've got is a couple Lv. 1s and Volcarona, and some shiny pops up at Lv. 3 and escapes all your poke balls. Not that that has happened yet, but I still save them.

Sayan

is tightening its focus
    Years
  • Good to know I'm not the only one who finds Master Ball cheap! I just paralyze the legendaries and False Swipe them, then keep throwing Dusk Balls. It's really not that hard, especially since money is so easy to get in later parts of the game.

Barrels

The Fresh Prince of Kanto
    Years
  • I know we're supposed to save them for shinies, but... *sigh*

Why did Ho-Oh have to be so hard to catch? I now live in perpetual fear that I'll encounter a shiny Stantler or something with only a Great Ball to my name. And then fail to nab it. And then cry for days.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2013
    I think it's fairly ugly, but I keep them just incase I run across a shiny or something :P

Back