• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I really like Shinbora, if it wasn't for my overbearing love of Rankurusu it would definitely have had a place on my team.

I don't always feel I have to understand a pokemon fully to enjoy it, but maybe that's just me. I love it's quirkyness...and how it's seemingly random. Plus it's species name is "Pseudo-Bird" which is very interesting. It's like some ancient civilization painted a Nazca line of a bird in a very stylized and artsy way....and then it just came to life.

I still wonder which are it's main eyes, the top one....or the two bottom ones. Are they even all functioning eyes? Sometimes I think it's actually a cyclops and the two eyes on it's body are just markings....

The folks over at Bulbapedia say all three eyes are functioning. I think it's just a little too detailed for my taste. This generation faced the same problem the Third Generation had in terms of Pokémon design. A majority of the new mons like Shinbora & Crimgan are heavily detailed and turn off a lot of players who were brought up with the more simplistic designs of Generation I & II.

The Red Chain

I'm not bothered by Shinbora's complexity as much I am bothered by just the sheer creepiness of it. :x
    It's complex yes, but that never really bugs me with Pokemon. In fact I love it's colors and I would have loved it even more if it didn't have such a chilling face..

What's even scarier is almost every Pokemon closes it's eyes now when they are under sleep status.. not Shinbora though. >___<;

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021

This generation faced the same problem the Third Generation had in terms of Pokémon design.

It looks then like your problems are my positives since my favourite gens for pokemon design are the 3rd and 5th generation.

Really though, I don't find any pokemon designs complex.....and even if some pokemon are more detailed than others I certainly wouldn't class that as a negative.....so that doesn't factor into my opinion of a pokemon design.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I don't really think that Shinpora is complex... It is just that it has a really colourful design, which I love.

Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites
    That is a complex design.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I'm not saying all complex Pokémon are . I have no problem with Gen III and some of Gen V. Take Reshiram & Zekrom into consideration.

Both Reshiram & Zekrom's designs are detailed, but contain a rather simplistic color scheme. Overall their complexity seems tamed in comparison to Shinbora.

King Gumball

Years
    I actually thought that gen 3 was pretty old school with their designs and that gen4 was the complex generation. Gen V seems pretty old school excluding a couple of pokemon. Zekrom and Reshiram are pretty complex even with their simple colouring, especially Zekrom. IMO Shinpora has a simple, old school pokemon design, there is nothing complex about it. There are no tiny details that can be seen, it is just that it has a very vivid colouration.

1300 post XD

Last edited:

ToWriteLove

On Her Arms
    Years
    I agree, I think this Gen went back to its original designing. Gen IV just went overboard, hardly any Pokemon from that Gen that I liked. With Gen V there are actually a lot the I like, with original real life creature designs like the crocodile, octopus, polar bear, deer, like those of Gen I and unique different designs such as shinpora, gigalith, and rankurusu such as those of Gen II and III

There are some I don't like, such as the gothimu chain and dasutodasu.... Ugh. But that's to be expected.

The Red Chain

I ruined the transparency, but here. I outlined the face that people are seeing, and I'd say that's pretty convincing! I'm not sure if the bottom gear is part of the face but at that angle it looks like a mouth so I just went ahead and outlined it anyway. I'm starting to not mind Gigigear, especially since I can now see that awesomely cute face. XD

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

I ruined the transparency, but here. I outlined the face that people are seeing, and I'd say that's pretty convincing! I'm not sure if the bottom gear is part of the face but at that angle it looks like a mouth so I just went ahead and outlined it anyway. I'm starting to not mind Gigigear, especially since I can now see that awesomely cute face. XD
    I don't think that the red part is Gigigiaru's mouth. If you look at its sprite, you see a white pattern (^). I think that could be the mouth.

Her

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2024
    why are we talking about that abomination
    I thought the small gear was the face, and the huge back engine gear thing was just a huge back engine gear thing. I suppose I'm wrong?

jimmefoxx

Beatlemaniac Jimme
    Years
    that coffin pokemon looks really dumb and im dissapointed in ken sugiyama or w.e. his name is for getting lazy but overall the game looks awesome

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think that the red part is Gigigiaru's mouth. If you look at its sprite, you see a white pattern (^). I think that could be the mouth.

Really? I've always thought that was the mouse. D:
    ...mouth lol.

I don't really see why people should hate it, because it isn't ~that~ bad.
    (It'd look nicer if one of the parts of the gear was golden though or something)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    why are we talking about that abomination
    I thought the small gear was the face, and the huge back engine gear thing was just a huge back engine gear thing. I suppose I'm wrong?
    The small gear is one of its faces and the big gear is the other one.

Really? I've always thought that was the mouse. D:
    ...mouth lol.

I don't really see why people should hate it, because it isn't ~that~ bad.
    (It'd look nicer if one of the parts of the gear was golden though or something)
    Like I said earlier in this thread, I hated Gigigiaru at first, but eventually grew used to it.

twistedpuppy

Siriusly Twisted
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2015
    I remember a lot of people were bashing Klink's evolution line, but I never understood why. It's just gears. Lots of them in fact. Gears just rotating around. Floating in mid air, even though it doesn't have Levitate as an ability...ok now I'm bored with it. ¬.¬

King Gumball

Years
    Gigigiaru is heaps cool now, I really like it. I hated it too, it just far too complex, and was unappealing to me. I grew used to it though XD It must be difficult for it to eat... I would love to see how it operates in the anime!

Years
    The Klink evolutionary line seems pretty decent to me. I always thought they were the counterparts of the Magnemite evolutionary line, but dang, they're not even Electric types. =\ I doubt I'll be using them, I dislike most Steel types.

King Gumball

Years
    Yeah but they don't look anything like an electric type though :/ Would have been cool if it were. Actually Gigigiaru should be part electric because of how it's gears move. You need some serious power to keep the gears moving all the time.

Years
    Actually, they do learn quite some electric type moves too. Anyone might easily mistake them for electric types. Magnetism and electricity are related, hence Magnemite was an electric type. Similarly Gear or Klink evolutionary line if represent machinery would be related to electricity too.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2011
    I think Gigigiaru is a pretty decent pokemon. It's also nice to see more pure Steel types. The thing that kills him for me though is his weak movepoll and a huge lack of powerful physical moves :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back