• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
Years
  • The problem I have with the majority of the new Pokemon is that they don't really look like Pokemon, if you get my drift. It would be quite a task to list all the new Pokemon that I dislike (because it would be much longer list than the list of new Pokemon that I do like).

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • The problem I have with the majority of the new Pokemon is that they don't really look like Pokemon, if you get my drift. It would be quite a task to list all the new Pokemon that I dislike (because it would be much longer list than the list of new Pokemon that I do like).

XD That's your opinion and you're entitled to it; however, your reasoning for it is rather shaky, because there is no set of traits that define a Pokemon. A Pokemon is whatever the game creators decide it is; whether it looks like a CD player or a floating log, it is nevertheless a Pokemon, because there is no objective or scientific way to classify what is and isn't a Pokemon.

Does that make sense? A bird is a vertebrate creature which has a beak, two limbs modified into wings, two feet, feathers instead of scales or fur, and most of them are able to fly. We can clearly classify birds objectively: a frog is not a bird, and a starfish isn't either, for they do not possess all these biological traits that define a bird.

However, Pokemon is a fictional creation of Satoshi Tajiri and his team; although they clearly recycle some ideas, there is no given set of traits that a Pokemon must have in order to be a Pokemon; a fire salamander (Charmander) is as much a Pokemon as a two-scoop ice cream cone (Baibanira/Vaivanilla), for they have both been "stamped" as such, officially, by the creators, and they are both featured in Pokemon games.

Do not misunderstand me; I get what you meant by it. However, I am tired of seeing this old "They just don't look like Pokemon to me" argument; it is incredibly weak as it hasn't got a solid base to stand on. It is better to simply say "I don't like these new Pokemon" rather than "I don't like the new Pokemon because they don't look like Pokemon", because at least the first relies purely on subjective opinion, whereas the second relies on a fail!reason.

It is the equivalent of saying, "Oh, I do not like kangaroos, because they do not look like mammals to me!" Because, you know, kangaroos are mammals through and through because we have studied them and they possess all the biological traits that we know mammals to possess. We do not subjectively decide what is or is not a mammal, but we most definitely decide what is or isn't a Pokemon (well, not you and me, but rather, GameFreak and co.) and we do so subjectively. You cannot say X Pokemon hasn't got these traits which all Pokemon have, therefore, it is not a Pokemon. A Pokemon is, simply put, any fictional creature that is the creation of Satoshi Tajiri and all the people who work with him. XD

Last edited:

Asrodrig

#1 Meowth fan
    Years
  • Very true, and you bring up some excellent points. I suppose a better way of saying what I wanted to get across is that the prototypical "pokemon-ness" that made Pokemon so epic to begin with is a little lost in this newer generation. The designs for the older pokemon were a lot simpler, which made them perhaps more believable. Take, for instance, Charizard. One of my favorite pokemon, and perhaps one of the most iconic pokemon of all time. Compare that to the fire pig thing. I think you can kind of get what I mean if you do that.
    At any rate, just like you said, we are entitled to our own opinions, and I'll definitely respect yours if you'll respect mine. :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2010
    i'm not sure but i think i love daikenki and genosekuto the most;) but actually i love how some pokemon looks like older pokemon. like baokkie as monferno. and janovy as grovyle. and the eyes of rankurusu looks like budew's eyes. and kurumiru's head looks like drifloon's head if he doesn't have his mouth, and if his head is purple :D

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • That reminds me of something I wanted to post xP

Spr_5b_628.png
    and
    630.png

Quite interesting these two. Version exclusives (I'll admit, when I saw Wargle or whatever it's called was exclusive to White, I was a bit sad D=). Gender different too - Wargle is a male only species, while Barujiina is female only. Both seem to have quite a strong western theme to them. Counterparts if ever I saw them.

What do you lovely people think of these two?

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
    Years
  • I hate Baruijina. It reminds me of Cavemen. It's gross too. Baruchai is even worse. Its cry is horrible and it has disgusting "diaper". Wargle is meh for me too...
    @down
    Maybe,but it closely resembles a diaper and it is named "Diaper pokemon."
    And sorry for my mistake. I'm not from an english-speaking country. xD
    And yes,it's not an egg. It's a skull.
    2u97qbk.jpg

Last edited:

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • facepalm.jpg

@helloehello001 - Please pardon Gamefreak for not meeting your standards of acceptable.

@Above - My apologies, I was in a mood xD Holy crap you're right! :O A skull - I'm definately getting one ^w^

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Wow, I haven't seen Maggyo's animation until the above few posts and it made me change my mind a little further. o_o; That does make me quite dizzy after a while and at the speed it's turning at, it is hard to imagine that in a battle. It's definitely one of those Pokémon everyone is going to treat like a Magikarp, or at least as far as other comments I've seen have in thought. I don't really like Maggyo that much, but there's several others in the game to take notice of, so it's alright. n_n

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • Wow, I haven't seen Maggyo's animation until the above few posts and it made me change my mind a little further. o_o; That does make me quite dizzy after a while and at the speed it's turning at, it is hard to imagine that in a battle. It's definitely one of those Pokémon everyone is going to treat like a Magikarp, or at least as far as other comments I've seen have in thought. I don't really like Maggyo that much, but there's several others in the game to take notice of, so it's alright. n_n

XD That is not Maggyo's animation in the games. Like I said in my previous post, he wiggles cheekily and then does a funny thing with his eyes and mouth that makes him look like he's smiling at you. Why would a flat fish flop like that, lol?

- - - - - -

@ Wargle ("Wooguru) / Vultina ("Barujina")

I love both of their pre-evos but their final evos not so much, which is very unusual, because I usually love final-evo pogeys but not pre-evos. I don't like either to use them, but I adore Baruchai enough that I might use Vultina in the end, and I very much love Dark/Flying as a typing (Donkrow <333), so yeah.

otakulily

Pokemon is okay, I guess.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    OH WHAT THE. That Musharna in your avatar is creeping me out, man. I'll never be able to look at him the same way again.

Years

Spr_5b_628.png
    and
    630.png

Quite interesting these two. Version exclusives (I'll admit, when I saw Wargle or whatever it's called was exclusive to White, I was a bit sad D=). Gender different too - Wargle is a male only species, while Barujiina is female only. Both seem to have quite a strong western theme to them. Counterparts if ever I saw them.

Wargle is so full of win/awesome, it makes Chuck Norris jealous. True story.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

Spr_5b_628.png
    and
    630.png

I fell in love with Wargle the first time I saw it. It's just too full of epicness. I started to like it more when I saw its stats and moves (like Staraptor, it got a Fighting move; too bad it wasn't Close Combat, it was Superpower).

As for Barujiina, I hate it in terms of design and stats. It's got bad offensive stats as well as a caveman-esque design. I don't get why it's a female-exclusive only.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I fell in love with Wargle the first time I saw it. It's just too full of epicness. I started to like it more when I saw its stats and moves (like Staraptor, it got a Fighting move; too bad it wasn't Close Combat, it was Superpower).

As for Barujiina, I hate it in terms of design and stats. It's got bad offensive stats as well as a caveman-esque design. I don't get why it's a female-exclusive only.
    I don't get why Wargle is Male only either...
    Well Barujina is the defensive opposite of Wargle who is the offensive...

Years

Spr_5b_628.png
    and
    630.png

Seriously, I don't get why people like Wargle so much. =/ Yeah, it's a representative Pokemon of America, but Barujiina is just sooo much better in terms of design~

I usually like Pokemon that are offensive, but seeing how defensive Barujiina is... it's kinda interesting. :P I mean, she doesn't look like a defensive Pokemon at all. DAT JUST PROVES HOW COOL DIS POKEMON IZ. And it's pre-evolution wears a SKULL as a diaper. You never know who's skull it can be wearing... O_-

I also like the fact that we finally have a fierce looking Pokemon that's only female. <3

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
    Years
  • XD I thought it was obvious, but I guess it's not, huh...

Ever heard of harpies, y'all? You know, winged old women with ear-piercing screeching and the like? Well, anyway, Vultina is clearly inspired by them, hence why 'tis female only. I have no idea why Wargle is male only, but it probably has to do with his Native American-inspired design, particularly the crest: to my fair but not extensive knowledge of pre-Columbine cultures, most Native American tribes and groups did not allow women to wear the feather headcrest, at least not a warrior's one. I'm fairly certain in some cultures they could have it as healers or elders if they were high in the hierarchy, but Wargle is specifically designed warrior-like, and since you can't have female warriors with feather headcrests to indicate your high rank in the society, you can't have female Wargle. 'Tis just a theory, but seems to make sense to me: harpies can't be male; NA females can't wear warrior feather headcrests.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back