• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your own personal relationship with disaster

Years
  • New Zealand has now been added to a list of countries struck by deadly natural disasters. Thankfully they have a lot of people ready to help save lives, but the images of it are still shocking. The pictures of Christchurch remind me a lot of places where I grew up so I feel more affected by this disaster than others and it has reminded me that I need to make a disaster kit in case something bad happens where I am.

I don't have any particular questions to ask. I just want everyone to picture what their lives would be like in the aftermath of a disaster that they might encounter in their area. Or maybe you've lived through one and could say what it was like and how it changed you. I'm kind of hoping it might encourage you to take a few precautions like it has for me. There isn't much you can do to stop a natural disaster, but there are things you can do ahead of time to make things not as bad after.

*Note: zombie apocalypses and alien invasions don't count as disasters. Neither does 2012 unless Sarah Palin gets elected president.

Years
  • I couldn't even begin to imagine what living through a disaster would be like, having never expierienced one before. But seeing all the devastion on the news is shocking and heartbreaking to watch.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Living in Florida, we are a standing target for natural disasters such as hurricanes. I would say the biggest advantage to a natural disaster such as this is that we can predict its time line and path ahead of time. Thus giving the people time to prepare for what's to come. Gathering cases of bottled water, stocking up on food that doesn't require electrical need, and preparing your house to live up to the expected conditions are all list of things that can be done to avoid a tragic aftermath. Also, locating your nearest shelter in case of emergencies and having a supply kit with essentials are great to keep ready not only for disasters like hurricanes, but for those unpredictable like earthquakes.

I know with some disasters like that, it's hard to avoid a horrible aftermath such as the most recent one in Christchurch. Earthquakes are one of the most scariest disasters to face. Luckily, I've never come to encounter one, but I think the best thing to do is just be prepared in case one were to ever happen. Know what to do if a natural disaster were to strike, run drills, and have essentials stocked.

I... just can't imagine how horrible it is to go through something so terrible. Losing your home, lives; it isn't something I'd ever wish upon anyone or anywhere.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • The only natural disaster I've ever encountered was an ice storm. It was bad enough to rip trees in half (some falling on cars and roofs) and knock out power for some people for a few weeks. I didn't think the trees could ever recover after that, but they did. The yard was impassable until we finally got around to cleaning it up, though.

However, that really wasn't all of that bad. I live in Tornado Alley, so it's probably shocking that I say that the ice storm is the worst natural disaster I've ever experienced - well, honestly, it's the only one. I've been through many tornado warnings, but never have actually been through an actual tornado. I've dodged lot of bullets with that. There was this really bad one back in May of 1999 that was headed straight for my town, but then it didn't. It's crazier that around 2003 or 2004 we had a week full of tornado warnings and they all missed us. It's weird. All I know is that I'm moving somewhere outside of tornado alley ASAP. Tornadoes are starting to appear very commonly in the winter and I don't need that. I want it to be cold during the winter.

I've always been happy that I haven't ever had to deal with big natural disasters. I'll take a bad ice storm over any of the other natural disasters any day (it certainly is the 'tamest'). In fact, I wouldn't mind having another one. (but don't tell anybody else that. =P)

What is scary, though, is the increasing amount of earthquakes in the state lately. None of them have been all of that bad, but I'm pretty sure they're increasing in number. That's never anything one wants to hear. Our buildings are not built to withstand earthquakes. Or at least I wouldn't think they are.

Years
  • Like a lot of people in California I live on top of a fault line. I personally have never lived through any major disasters though. I was alive during the 1989 Loma Prieta quake, but not too close to it for it to affect my family, although people everywhere felt it, and I was way too young to even remember it. I've lived through dozens and dozens of quakes since, but none that were even remotely dangerous.

Despite that I've made some plans in case something does happen. I've got a box where I keep important things like documents and such and just the other day I filled up some water bottles to keep around and tomorrow I'm going out to get some first aid supplies. I hope that by doing whatever I can to keep myself safe (even though there's a limit to what I can do) in a disaster I'll be able to help people instead of being another helpless victim. As much as I don't want to think about what it would mean to loose everything I have, I think I wouldn't be able to live with myself very easily knowing I could have done something to help someone and didn't.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    I've never ever been in a disaster. I hope that I won't ever have to experience one, and should it happen, I hope that it is not that devastating of one. That would be some pretty scary stuff. First of all, we are barely prepared for one, if we are at all. Secondly, just all the loss would be horrible. I would not be coping very well.

But... should it happen... I know that my first desire would be to help people. Above me own safety even. Because I mean, what is the point of trying to help people if you can't even help the one's right in front of you? There isn't much of one. My first priority would be getting as many survivors as possible and get back to living life.

The worst "disaster" I've been in isn't even a disaster. Just some snow. It made a few trees break, and that's the worst. So, I can't even really say how I'd cope in such a situation. I have felt a few small quakes from time to time, but nothing dangerous(i.e. just a shake for like two seconds.)

If I could, right now, I would go out and be helping the people faced by disasters right now. However, at 14, that is rather quite a difficult task. Not, however, impossible. I plan to join up with my local church and go on some "missions", so to speak, to help people. I don't have much experience with disasters, but I'll do what I can to help those who must face them.

helix

tea-binger.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 21, 2016
    I was hit directly by the Boxing Day tsunami in Thailand; that's to say the broken wave went right through the boat I was on and I was pretty much petrified. I'm sure if I hadn't experienced the terror of such an occurrence, I wouldn't be the same individual I am today.
    Adversity truly does show the nature of people. I hope that once I am able to, I can volunteer and help those who won't be as fortunate as I was to emerge unhurt from a natural disaster.

Back