• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your parents and technology

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
  • What sort of relationship do your parents (or guardians) have with technology? Do they struggle to send a simple text message? Are they coding stuff for their custom-built tablet computer? Or are they somewhere in-between?

It'll be interesting to hear how many parents are tech geeks and how many are Luddites! :D

Years
  • My parents aren't that bad with technology actually. My mum knows quite a bit about computers, such as using spreadsheets and the sort because she use to do that sort of stuff in her job before I was born. But since then her levels of understanding technology have dropped. She can email and setup a laptop or her phone so it's connected to someones wifi connection. She doesn't have much of an interest in technology anymore, but she's willing to learn what she needs to get by.
    My step dad on the other hand is different. He likes to think he knows everything about technology and speaks like he knows the most. He can put together a computer from a box of computer parts, and he can set up games consoles and TVs and stereos and such, but apart from that he knows pretty much nothing. Whilst speaking to him a few weeks ago about giving me the password for the router so I could open a port instead of listening to what I had to say he continually shouted "You need to ping the box" over and over again assuming he knew everything about it. So yea, he's the type of person who acts like he knows it all but doesn't really know much.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    My mom used to be super into playing a F2P MMO. So she's familiar with the internet, not so much with computers though. She knows her way around one, but she's much more familiar with memes and such since I keep her up to date on that kind of thing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Haha well, my parents arent that great with techology. I mean they can do simple stuff like send e mails, surf the web and stuff, they both use computers at work but my dad tends to like technology and gadgets more. He likes collecting the latest gadget, lol. Though, I probably dont know alot more than them myself.

blackmorale

風の行方
    Years
  • My parents both use computers at work, but my dad has the upper hand since he has internet. My mom is a complete n00b when it comes to using anything related to the internet (or any other gadget that isn't a cellphone for that matter). She would ask me to come over whenever she needs to send some e-mail, and gets mad at me when I grab the mouse and "go too fast". She's okay now and doesn't need my help as much as before.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • My mum can do stuff that she's interested in, but if she doesn't care about something - e.g. texting (!!!) - then she won't bother to learn how to do it. Even if it's extremely simple (like the aforementioned texting). But checking stocks and sorting out her eBay profile: she's a whizz at those things. It's really weird, as she has a natural knack for figuring out how stuff works... but only if she's in the mood.

My dad, on the other hand, can do most general computer stuff, but he often feels insecure about his own knowledge, so has to often ask my brother and I for help on troubleshooting issues. That being said, he doesn't really like his touchscreen phone all that much - a HTC, I believe - and would rather go back to the days where there was a keyboard. But at least he accepts that this change is semi-inevitable, unlike my grandparents, who refuse to even entertain the notion of getting a computer!

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Mi madre es bueno with el technologia. Er . . . for the most part. She can use a computer and text and everything, but it's not like she's a "I'ma recode the entire worldwide web, mwuhahahaha!" kind of person. So she's no better than me, likely worse. (Except for texting; I don't text)

As for my father . . . okay, if it's not a car from like the 1960s then I don't have much confidence in him. He can't text and I doubt that he even knows how to turn on a computer. :/

My mom's boyfriend is at about the same level as herself, and my stepmom . . . is only slightly better. I think she may have figured out how to send a text, although she never does it.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • My dad isn't very good with technology at all. He barely knows how to use the computer and browse the Internet. He's constantly asked me questions on how to do certain things. Composing emails has to be his weakest point. He needs help to do the simplest task such as how to add contact to the recipients bar or how to copy and paste a document to an email. Little does he know is that you can just attach a document to an email and I'm probably gonna have to teach him how to do that. Being at home all the time, I'm always the one helping him with computers. I will admit though, my dad's pretty good at using Facebook. Though all he really does on it is play games like Farmville, Hidden Chronicles,Pawn Stars and sharing things he finds interesting. As for cell phones, he only had one when my grandma was alive cause she was the one paying for it. He knew how to make calls because he mainly used it for emergencies and for me and my brothers to be able to call him when we needed something.

My mom wasn't around long enough for me to experience how she was with technology. She passed sometime after we got a computer and internet. I don't remember how well she was with computer cause didn't use our computer/internet often enough. I bet she would of been better than my dad though, she was a bit smarter than him, I believe.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    My mom struggle a lot to tackle PC .. Whenever she sits on it ! .. i peeked that it spends her the maximum time to fidget with the mouse to get the pointer to a relevant locations . :P .. sometimes this act funny.. but trying to help her in every way

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    My dad can relate when it comes to technology coz he do uses computer everyday. Unlike my mom who dont even know how to use cellphone.lol

Back