• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your parents aren't perfect....

How badly were you affected when you found out your parents aren't 'perfect'?

• I still don't trust them to this day...

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • So what if they can't make all my dreams come true?

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • I don't really care about it...

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • I still have emotional scars that will never heal.

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
Years
  • It comes in every child's life that they realize that their parents aren't perfect. Parents can lie as well as you do. Parents can devistate your entire world because of a promise that they 'forgot'. Parents can ruin your childhood, and those who do have 'perfect parents' are lucky they weren't let down. But they tend to normally end up as spoiled brats...

How badly were you effected when you found out that they can't make all your dreams come true(even after feeding you stories and promises which ended up being lies and facades)?

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • I have never doubted their perfection insofar as their love for me.

Otherwise - I wouldn't say it was a shock to discover they aren't superhuman and don't always make the correct decisions. It was more of a gradual realization. My parents happen to be fairly steady, dependable people, anyway. I can't help but think I am lucky to have emotionally mature adults taking care of me, as opposed to some other kids my age who end up having to take care of their parents a fair amount of the time.

So no, they've never betrayed me in any huge sense. They have never promised to "make my dreams come true", although they have promised to support me in anything I do. They always put me and my sibs first, which is comforting.

But they tend to normally end up as spoiled brats...

If anything I'd say me and my siblings end up slightly on this side of the spectrum, when all's said and done. Not that we're all gigantic whiners or have lots of expensive crap, but my mother does so much for us that sometimes I feel like I'll be lost when I have to leave.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I am now 20. I can't think of an instance we my parents have lied to me (beyond little things like... idk, the Easter Bunny?), my childhood wasn't ruined, my entire world hasn't been devastated because something they did. I've never had the assumption that "my dreams would come true" because of my parents. They can support me. They can encourage me. But if I succeed or fail at anything in life (mostly fail) no matter how small or how big is my doing, not theirs.

CaptainSpicyClouds

You Will Respect My Authoritay
    Years
  • My Parent's are on the weird side, and I mostly grew up without them, but this also helped so that when I relized that they weren't perfect, it wasn't a big burden on me.... but over all they are pretty good parents.

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • I wasn't affected at all I guess? I never expected my parents to be perfect, just as I don't expect anyone else to be perfect. I think they did a fine job raising me.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Um yeah, parents aren't perfect. They're perfect up until the age where you realize that parents are just people. They were your age before, and they will grow older and die. They are not superbeings. It's clear they can't make everything come true, and that realization comes with age, as well as philosophical reflections about society itself. We all come to the age where we start thinking for ourselves, and it shouldn't affect us that harshly when we realize that our parents aren't "perfect."

Ayselipera

I never thought of them as perfect. So nothing they ever did devastated me. My mom does lie a lot which is just annoying not devastating.

The only people who I ever thought were perfect were teachers. I thought they just knew everything and nothing they said was wrong. I learned though.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I don't remember ever thinking they were perfect. If I did, I wouldn't have thrown so many tantrums.

Years
  • I wasn't affected at all I guess? I never expected my parents to be perfect, just as I don't expect anyone else to be perfect. I think they did a fine job raising me.

Exactly the same for me.
    Never expected them to be perfect.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I always knew my parents wouldn't be the "perfect parents" and I don't think any parent ever will be even those that you think may be. Every person has their own flaws, and that doesn't exist in parents alone. As for my parents, they weren't terrible either, and they still aren't. I knew when I was young I hated when they would yell at more or punish me, but I was a kid. It wasn't until I started growing up that I realized what they did was for a reason. And now that I look at myself, I can say I wouldn't be the same person I am today if it weren't for my parents; which is a good thing.

I know there are those who don't have this opportunity. It's sad to hear and watch too, but that isn't to say that all kids will grow up terribly because of this either. Some have the sense to say "I won't be like this when I grow up," or something in relation to that.

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
  • My Mom kind of made it known that she wasn't perfect. I don't think she wanted me to grow up in the sense where I thought she was flawless; she wanted me to know that we are all human and we all make mistakes. There was no devastation, no tears, and there weren't tantrums. Not because I came to a realization, but because I never really had a reason to be upset by the imperfection of my mother. As for my father? Far from perfect and I always knew that. 'Cause when a father leaves his family and has addictions, you kind of know that he's not perfect either from the start.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
    Years
  • I have great parents... I couldn't wish for better really. But I was upset when my own ideologies started clashing with my parent's own views. It's sad to outgrow such a blissful ignorance...:(

Years
  • My parents always emphasized hard work as a way of life, so I wasn't taught to think they'll spoon feed me my future. While they may not be perfect, I can't complain; I couldn't wish for better parents than my own. They're awesome people, always there when I need them...and tell me to go do things myself when I should xD;

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • I may be just 14, but I've known my parents weren't perfect for about as long as I can remember. My Dad yelled a lot, my mom got me angry sometimes, but I know they do those for a reason. I never really thought they were invincible and could handle anything (though, I did wonder how my parents worked so much, made money, etc, but that's natural curiosity). Back in 2004, my grandmother died. I knew that she was sick (my grandmother had a stroke when I was three) and would die eventually. I knew she wasn't invincible. She was the parent of one of my parents, so I applied that knowledge subconsciously, and resulted that my own parents weren't invincible.

Almost common sense once I realized my grandmother was going to die, really.

just a worthless piece of watermelon

... i want a blog ;__;
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2009
    My parents have never been ideal; or even close to ideal.

There's been times where one wrong move could have ruined everything, and it even felt as if I was responsible for their life at certain stages.

My dad is idealistic and my mum is realistic-but-not-enough as she will be there waving the handkerchief with tears in her eyes every day.

Yeah they're not perfect, never have been, but I'm happy that I could see that they are not the same people they'd like me to see; I hate long-term deceit..

Anxiety.

Walking on sunshine.
    Years
  • I don't really care. I knew they weren't perfect, because they smoke and drink and argue.
    And for my dreams, they never promised to make the come true.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • As with all young children, I thought the adults around me were more or less astounding. They had their own homes, cars, jobs, and really neat stuff - amazing things like bills, and mortgages, and something awesome called a loan. :D I was blissfully unaware how my parents made money, or that there was a limit to it. All I knew is that I wanted a toy, dang it. Even so, never once did I think my parents were perfect. I had seen my father cry, I had seem my mother late to work, I saw my kindergarten teacher trip over her own feet. Never did it cross my mind that adults possessed some kind of superhuman abilities - I just thought they were infinitely wiser than me, but still able to make mistakes.

My parents always encouraged me to be whatever I wanted to be in life, and I knew deep inside they'd support it. I've always been the kind of child that wanted all their parents attention and love, so I've always went above and beyond. Due to this, my late-adolescence was filled with huge amounts of self-realizations and heart break. No, I wasn't the smartest kid at my school. Nope, I wasn't even close to the most athletic, and no, my parents just couldn't afford to give me everything I considered a necessity, but they encouraged me, and that's all I ever really needed.

So no, my parents can't make my dreams come true, because that's up to me. They gave me everything I needed and more, I'd say.

Back