• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your parents reaction?

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
Years
  • Pokemon was like, the biggest part of my childhood. My parents don't really seem to find it to weird that I still get excited about pokemon. I think now they think I'm mostly over it, which I am to some extent (not really a big pokemon player or watcher anymore). I only occassionally watch the show, and they don't even know haha.

I'm more into the games though, I only really watch the show for nostaligia. Games are games as far as my parents are concerned. If my dad can play mario, I can play pokemon. I used to try and hide my games from my friends as I was embarrassed. However, so far, none of my friends have really questioned it when a pokemon game gets left around. It's just a game right. And now that I have a job they better watch out. I;m going to buy so much pokemon clothing hahaha

To be honest, I think mum thinks it's a bit weird, but I think it's more to do with her just not understanding whats so good about pokemon. When I talk about getting the new game (still haven't gotten B/W yet haha) she gives me a similar look to the look she gives me when I say I like to watch the same movie more then once, or when me and my dad joke around and she doesn't understand our sense of humor.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    No need to tell them coz they know ive been watching pokemon since i was a kid and till now i still love watching it.

Last edited:

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
  • Honestly, my parents have known I've liked Pokemon ever since I was a kid. There was this time they thought I got over it, I think. I remember the time when I bought the Season 1 box set, and my parents were freaking out. xD;
    But yeah, they're cool with it. Don't think they really care, haha.
    When I got into MLP, well... that's a different story. xDD;;
    They accepted that pretty quick, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2012
    Yes, my parents knew that I watch pokemon series on tv and on PC and they keep on telling me that I'm still childish but it doesn't matter. The fact is, I'm enjoying to be a fan of Pokemon :D

Years
  • I think my parents like it... because, it's a lot easier to get me some Pokémon cards than all the other (more expensive) stuff that I like. My hubby doesn't mind for the same reason. Chocolate and cards, and I'm good to go. ;)

Seeing as I'm in my own family now, my parents don't care.They know what a big part of my childhood it was, and it is something fun to use my time on. :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2012
    I was playing Apples-to-Apples with my parents and my grandmother, and I can't remember what the Green card was, but it was my turn to pick the winner of that round ... flipped over the three Red cards, saw Pokémon, and it was an automatic win. My grandmother knows me well. :) But if either one of my parents had that card, they would know to use it for me as well. I don't know exactly what they think, but they seem to accept the fact that that is what I like. :)

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Oh my parental units all know and have always known. They don't mind, either. I got like all my siblings into Pokémon as well so that's probably why they think it's a bit less weird, since they're all younger. And they like that somebody understands what the kids are on about and can help them with the games and such.

I think they're pretty cool about it because for the most part they still play video games [though mainly Mario/sports games] and watch the good cartoons what are on so they know how it goes.

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • My mum doesn't care, haha. :)
    I mean, yeah, she thinks it's a bit childish, and she says I should sell all my cards and stuff (although my card collection just gets bigger and bigger! XD), but she never refuses to buy me anything Pokemon related for my Birthdays or anything.

I guess she just knows it's something I'll never 'grow out of,' because it's just something I'll always love.

Booster boxes and merch from mum for Christmas = <3

:D

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    They don't even notice actually. Sure, I do tell them about release dates & new stuff so they know I'm interested & will get it for me. Of course, I don't get it for free, I have to accomplish something first.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • My parents actually didn't let me watch the show, play the games, or collect the cards when I was younger. They didn't want me going broke for the franchise. I actually bought my first pokemon anything while on a band trip as a sophomore in high school. I bought pokemon black and have loved the games ever since. I have actually started a pokemon club and am the nuber 1 seed. My parents know I play and crack a few jokes when I watch the anime, but I don't care. It's all in good fun.

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • They just called it Pokemans, but they didn't mind at all. They saw it as any other cartoon. Nowadays they know I still enjoy it, and I get to use "at least I'm not doing drugs" excuse. They know I'm into Japanese games so they just don't care anymore, lol.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I won't watch Pokemon unless its the old episodes and my parent's don't know I still watch the old ones which I haven't watched in a long time. They know I still play the games and they didn't say anything about it, because I told them it has so much complexity that a little kid wouldn't understand. There is more to Pokemon than just beating the game and getting your Pokemon to lvl 100. Most little kids don't realize the math and stuff behind the games. But I'm 20 and they don't care, all my dad said was hey, "It gives you something to do right?"

Years
  • Actually they know I like Pokemon, but don't care (they've even seen me play Pokepark 1 & 2 (the most childish game in the franchise) and still didn't say anything, so I guess they're cool with it)
    Should they start saying stuff like you're too old for Pokemon, I'll simply quote "Chavo", "there are young people with 88 years, and old people with only 26;" age is something mental and it doesn't matter
    I'm not gonna give up something I like because you think I'm too old for it

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
    Years
  • When I was about 13 I stopped watching the anime because my father would make fun of me. He told me to grow up and I stopped watching it, well I watched it when he wasn't in the living room. :\ I still played the games then, I didn't give a crap what he thought about them. However when I would play Blue,Red, or Yellow on my Gameboy Player he'd make fun of me and the music so I'd have to play it on mute. >.> Now that I live on my own, I usually don't tell my parents what I do in my spare time because i'm a young adult and they probably aren't interested in tiny things like this.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Have you ever told your parents that you are still watching Pokemon, or did they found out by them self? Did they make jokes about that, or did they seriously told you to grow up? My parents don't know that i watch Pokemon, and i'm not afraid of telling that to them (they would just find that a childish).

Staff Edit: Since this is in PG now, let's broaden it some! Don't just talk about watching, but also playing the games, reading the manga, playing the trading card game, etc.

My mam just gets irritated by the anime taking up the Sky+ planner :laugh: other than that, she doesn't really care about that. Same goes for the games. And manga.

The cards are another issue, however. While ultimately I can do what on earth I want with my money (I am 22 after all), she still judges me to high heaven about spending money on Pokémon cards. They're currently £3 a pack here, which is... eh, I don't think it's that expensive, but yeah. I probably do have better things to spend my money on tbh, but still... I can't resist buying Pokémon cards when I see them :P

Years
  • I thought being away at college my parents wouldn't really catch on that I still play the games. But to my surprise my dad brought up the topic one day. I didn't deny it, they just laughed and I was like whatever. They dont really care, they just think I would be better off focusing my attention elsewhere. Why get a boyfriend when I got all my Pokepals who will never leave me haha. :3

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    My parents really don't care about it. Theyve even see me buy the games, and haven't questioned me once.

As far as the show itself, still the same.

Back