• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

:( Your PC ran into a BSOD and needs to restart.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
  • :( Your PC ran into a BSOD and needs to restart.

BSOD, also known as Blue Screen of Death, is the screen which pops up when computers can't handle problems anymore. Do you often getting this screen or variants of it, what do you feel when seeing that screen, and what's your experience or opinions involving BSOD?

Years
  • The last time I got a BSOD was about a month ago when I went to restart Skype by closing it and once it closed I immediately reopened it without waiting. Usually whever I do get a BSOD, I typically will say something in a bit of frustration, especially if I have a lot of work open that goes unsaved. And typically for me, BSODs happen once in a blue moon.

Years
  • I don't think I've ever seen a BSOD. Of course, I know people that have had them, quite frequently, too.
    Having said that, my computer does enjoy freezing for minutes on end, sometimes for no real reason. Minutes later, it'll be fine, as if nothing happened.

Years
  • Since this is a secondhand laptop i've got, and a pretty low-end one at that too (2.2 ghz dual core processor, Nvidia 7400 Go, 3 gig ram) I'm mostly like 'Again? Well, let's restart it then'. All my BSOD's are MEMORY_ALLOCATION. Oh well, i'll get a new one soon enough, i suppose

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I have not gotten the BSOD in so many years now, not sure what I'm doing right to not get them, I remember that when I used to get them (about once 2 or 3 months) I get annoyed and angered at having to restart (my windows ME used to take long to load).

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
  • Well, I've gotten my PC for quite a few years and I've never gotten a BSOD. However, my brother has the exact same computer and got BSODs very frequently.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Once, I accidentally had a virus installed on my computer, and it would always send out fake blue screens of death. I always thought it was odd that I didn't have to restart my computer when they appeared (they went away after two or so minutes).

Years
  • I've only gotten a BSOD once on my computer, and that was a few months ago (I can't even recall what caused it). Considering my computer's nearing on 12 years old, I'm shocked that I haven't run into them more often, let alone the fact that it still runs fairly well.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2014
    I got a BSOD just yesterday. I was playing Volt White 2 on my computer, and my wireless driver triggered a BSOD. I was frustrated, as I had not saved for like 3 hours and had to do more than 3 gyms again.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Proper term is 'stop error'; seeing people say BSOD peeves me. The default Windows 8 stop error screen is offensively uninformative. It's actually what makes me hate the OS more than anything else, since it leaves open the implication that the entire OS is made under such a condescending assumption regarding user competence.

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Something wonky is going on with my laptop, Hyper-V (where I use for virtual machines and Windows Phone emulation), and the network bridging driver (bridge.sys), causing unexpected BSoDs that are pretty hard to recreate because there doesn't seem to be a definite cause yet.

And yet since it doesn't show up much, I guess I can live with that.

If you want to use 'stop error', may I use 'bug check'? It's way easier to refer to things that everyone knows using a term that everyone knows.

Renpuu

Gengar !
    Years
  • The first time I got a BSOD when I built my first computer was due to a audio driver error not liking Windows XP and had to downgrade the driver so it would work correctly on XP. The next time my computer BSOD was due to faulty memory...I bought a 8GB RAM set and within a few months it found out to be faulty, so I had to buy new memory and send back the old ones..I didn't want to go without a computer :D !
    Within a month got a replacement set..hence why my computer has 16GB worth of RAM when I was happy with just 8GB..oh well ^_^
    I suggest you guys get your computers checked out if they keep freezing...usually if your computer BSODs it's usually a hardware error or some sort of driver not working correctly.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've done a lot of multitasking on my laptop, but never ran into one. I did have a BSOD on my dad's laptop once, though. I was trying to open up Firefox, and the screen randomly appeared. I know for a fact that Firefox can't cause a BSOD (well, unless your computer's really, really old), so it might've been a virus.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I've only experienced this twice on my old computer, I'm sure both the times were due to the graphics failure. They both subsequently went on to cause problems with the graphic card. Typically, I was surprised, but never agitated or troubled since it didn't frequently occur.

Looking at your image up there, Windy, I can see terror if I ever saw it. Imagine the only way to solve the problem is to search for something well out of your memory's capacity to remember, and you only have ONE SECOND to remember it. Computer won't help either, it's gonna crash.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • My last BSOD was in 2010 with an incredible old Dell PC from probably 2006-ish running Windows XP. Lost most of my school work due to it - I was pissed. Never personally experienced any BSOD's from Vista onwards.

Back