• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your Pokémon Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr_Smilie:)

<3 SAKURA <3
    Years
    Lucky_Clover said:
    My Emerald Team:
    ~ Blaziken @ Focus Band -> lvl 52.
    -Earthquake
    -Flamethrower
    -Double Kick
    -Mirror Move
    ~Crobat @ Cleanse Tag -> lvl 50.
    -Fly
    -Bite
    -Poison Fang
    -Return
    ~ Gardevoir @ Amulet Coin -> lvl 51.
    -Thunderbolt
    -Psychic
    -Future Sight
    -Hidden Power
    ~ Absol -> lvl 50.
    -Fire Blast
    -Blizzard
    -Thunder
    -Shadow Ball < TM-Shopping in Lilycove City...>
    ~ Manectric @ Quick Claw -> lvl 50.
    -Thunder
    -Strength
    -Spark
    -Bite < Need to work on this one...>
    ~ Lanturn @ Mystic Water -> lvl 51.
    -Thunder
    -Blizzard
    -Surf
    -Hydro Pump

ur pokemon are really weak against rock u should teach absol or manetric a fighting move if u r gonna change there moves i would of crushed u with my old rock pokemon golem, rhydon and tyranitar muhahaha

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2006
    In training:

Arcanine LVL 50
    Extremespeed, Take Down
    Flamethrower, Fire Blast

Steelix LVL 16
    Tackle, Screech
    Bind, Rock Throw

Smeargle LVL 17
    Sketch

Spinarak LVL 17
    Poison Sting, Night Shade
    Scary Face, Constrict

Politoed LVL 19
    Water Gun, Hypnosis
    Doubleslap, Perish Song

Gyrados LVL 100 (just incase arcanine faints in the elite four, since the others stand no chance)
    Hydro Pump, Thrash
    Dragon Dance, Hyper Beam

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Blackbird said:
    Weak against rock? How so? Lanturn knows Surf and Hydropump.
    Not to mention the fact that Blaziken has Earthquake (bad choice, but whatever), and both Absol and Lanturn have Blizzard (again, bad choice).

Just an observation, Lucky_Clover, but you should really stay away from teaching your Pokes those low accuracy moves. I mean Absol has THREE (Fire Blast, Thunder, AND Blizzard). Keep in mind that while all three of those moves are 70% accurate (too risky, IMO), Thunder drops down to 40% when Sunny Day is out and Fire Blast drops to 40% when Rain Dance is out. Just not worth. Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, and Flamethrower are slightly less powerful (95 compared to 120), but keep in mind that two Flamethrower attacks can do 190 damage while you run the risk of only getting one Fire Blast attack to hit for only 120 damage.

BTW - seeing special attacks on Absol just make me cringe. While its Base SAtk is only 75, its Base Atk is a strong 130. That said, it doesn't learn many strong physical attacks, making it a poor Pokemon to use anyway.

Just my two sense.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2006
    Oh and I got a Beldum in training...

I dumped politoed because it's a bad choice.

And yes you need to have a well-rounded set of attacks. Like I think my Arcanine is well-rounded. A pretty powerful fire attack then a low accuracy, high attack fire move. Then two normal attacks on pokemon that aren't very affected by fire moves.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Blackbird said:
    Gyrados LVL 100 (just incase arcanine faints in the elite four, since the others stand no chance)
    Hydro Pump, Thrash
    Dragon Dance, Hyper Beam
    May I please try to convince you to change your Gyarados? You have a GREAT move in DD, but your physical attacks (Thrash, Hyper Beam) are not good. Neither is STAB, and both can cause your Poke to skip a move altogether. What you want are more effective moves like Earthquake. EQ is a little less powerful (100 to 150), but consider that you have a forced recharge after HB (you cannot switch out) while you can attack again with EQ, making two hits 200 to 150. Not to mention the fact that you have twice as many PP for EQ. I didn't even mention that also with EQ you can get a SE hit while Thrash/Hyper Beam are not SE against anything. As for your other move, since this is in-game (I am assuming) HP Flying would not be practical. Why Gyarados doesn't learn a Flying-type move is beyond me. You could either go with a special move (i.e. Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Ice Beam), a disabling move (i.e. Taunt, Thunder Wave, Toxic), or a more reliable physical attck (i.e. Facade, Return, Strength) to take advantage of its high Atk stat.

Also, switch out Hydro Pump for Surf. It follows the same premise as the above example, where Surf does 95 damage, but is 100% accurate and has THREE times as many PP as its stronger but less reliable counterpart.

Blackbird said:
    And yes you need to have a well-rounded set of attacks. Like I think my Arcanine is well-rounded. A pretty powerful fire attack then a low accuracy, high attack fire move. Then two normal attacks on pokemon that aren't very affected by fire moves.
    Well actually I was going to talk to you about your Arcanine, but forgot. You should really avoid having two attacks of the same type on a Pokemon. Your Flamethrower is all you need. Overheat is too situational to keep, not to mention that its PP sucks and it drops your Base SAtk once you use it. This also applies to your two Normal-type attacks. Extremespeed is great because of its effect of going first, so definitely keep that one. You should add either another attacking move or go with Sunny Day and add a disabling move like Toxic or Roar. Personally I think Crunch and Howl would be good moves, but you can only get them from breeding.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2006
    Well since the Elite Four are not that strong, the highest is only LVL 58 my Gyarados can afford HB just because of it's extreme level. I could go to that guy in Fallabor Town and see what previous moves I might be able to teach it.

And yeah, Extremespeed was my last move i've been able to teach it. Since I cheated it in (got it at the start of the game, LVL 2 and trained it 49 LVLs) I don't know what levels it learns moves?

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Blackbird said:
    Well since the Elite Four are not that strong, the highest is only LVL 58 my Gyarados can afford HB just because of it's extreme level. I could go to that guy in Fallabor Town and see what previous moves I might be able to teach it.

That still doesn't account for the fact that you still have to wait a turn after Hyper Beam. Don't bother going back to teach it old moves either since they are all crap as well. Go with one of the moves I suggested (all are TM moves) and switch HP for Surf and you will be set.

And yeah, Extremespeed was my last move i've been able to teach it. Since I cheated it in (got it at the start of the game, LVL 2 and trained it 49 LVLs) I don't know what levels it learns moves?
    Ugh. Cheated for an Arcanine? You must really like it. Anyways, again don't bother with its learned moves as those are equally crappy, and the reason Arcanine isn't used a whole lot. The moves I suggested (besides Crunch and Howl which are Egg Moves) are all TMs and I believe all of them can be purchased within the game. Go shopping.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2006
    Unless someone didn't tell me, it's impossible to catch a Growlithe in Ruby, kind of have to cheat it in.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2006
    Bah, new team.

Arcanine LVL 55
    Extremespeed, Return
    Flamethrower, Fire Blast

Latios LVL 40
    Memento, Refresh
    Luster Purge, Psychic

Metang LVL 31
    Take Down, Earthquake
    Psychic, Scary Face (waiting for one of it's learned moves to replace this)

Rayquaza LVL 71
    Fly, Rest
    Extremespeed, Outrage

Dragonair LVL 50
    Dragon Rage, Thunder
    Waterfall(needed at the time being), Surf

Tropius LVL 54
    Magical Leaf, Body Slam
    Solarbeam, Synthesis

Last edited:

mew_rocks

Sell the kids for food
    Years
    My team is still in the making cos I restarted:
    Dragonite. Modest nature
    thunderbolt
    dragon claw
    flamethrower
    ? still trying to think of special attack increaser any suggestions?

Evee Mild nature
    All unkown trading to my ruby to evolve it into espeon any suggestions for moves its a special sweeper?

Chickorita lover!

Chickorita lover!
    Years
    My FireRed team is... embarrasing... But they are strong as a team!
    Vaporeon: level 61: Dig,Surf,Hydro pump and water fall
    Zapdos: Level: 57: Thunder Wave, shock wave, steel wing and drill peck
    Moltres: Level 52: Fire spin, Rock smash, endure and flame thrower.
    Venusaur: level: 59: Strengh, sleep powder, frenzy plant and cut
    Articuno: level 54: Mist, blizzard, fly and ice beam
    Dratini (training): level 25: wrap, dragon rage, thunder wave and twister
    Thats my FireRed team... embarrasing? I KNOW

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    mew_rocks said:
    My team is still in the making cos I restarted:
    Dragonite. Modest nature
    thunderbolt
    dragon claw
    flamethrower
    ? still trying to think of special attack increaser any suggestions?

First off, NEVER use Modest nature on Dragonite. It has a Base Atk of 134, which is one of the strongest in the game, compared to only a Base SAtk of 100. I highly suggest you use Brave (+Atk, -Spd) instead, and then use the following set:

Focus Punch
    Ice Beam
    Substitute
    Thunderbolt

The strategy is simple - put up a Sub to take advantage of Nite's powerful defenses and then either Punch, Beam, or Bolt. This is called a SubPunchingBoltBeamer and can be devastating in link battles, let alone against the computer. Focus Punch is a TM and Substitute you get from a Move Tutor. Until you get them, feel free to run a special sweeping Nite with Flamethrower and Dragon Claw as your other two moves.

Evee Mild nature
    All unkown trading to my ruby to evolve it into espeon any suggestions for moves its a special sweeper?

Calm Mind
    Morning Sun/Baton Pass
    Psychic
    Shadow Ball

Espeon is much better with HP Fire/Ice instead of SB, but that is near impossible to get in-game. You can also switch MS for BP and then give another Poke the CM boost.
    twenty---------------five

Synchronize

Donphan: My Fourth Love
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Oct 5, 2008
    Hey shane, you're getting a little into the NB strats. Modest Draggy with Special attacks is fine. The last move should be Ice Beam, although I'd say Surf over flamethower or Dragon Claw. But as far as shane's suggestion, that's based on the fact that Dragonite uses Physical Attacks alot better than special attacks, since it's base Attack stat is evidently higher than its base SAtk stat.

Btw, I thought it was Quiet Nature, not Brave O_o

im just gonna include my fav pokemon on it blastoise
    mego punch
    mega kick
    hydro pump
    surf

Mega Punch and Mega Kick shouldn't be used at all, as Body Slam, Return, and Double-Edge are the dominant normal-type moves, and even then, Blastoise shouldn't be using them. Take a look at this:

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Torrent
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Counter / Mirror boat / Toxic / Roar / Rapid Spin
    - Counter / Mirror boat / Toxic / Roar / Rapid Spin

It's best used as a utility, as its base stats don't allow it to be very offennsive. Defensively it's something tough to pierce, allowing for the ability to take at least 2-3 Hits and OHKO with Counter and Mirror Coat. Other than that it can stall with Toxic and Phaze with roar. Rapid Spin has competitive use for getting rid of Spikes.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    True, Synch a special Draggy is okay, but I just heart physical Draggy too much I guess. I choose Brave over Quiet to boost physical attack, but Quiet certainly makes sense. Thanks for the clarification though. Much appreciated.

As for Mr. Smile, thanks for saying what I couldn't tell him myself. LOL

Last edited:

Mr_Smilie:)

<3 SAKURA <3
    Years
    well i have actually changed my moves for my blastoise and i wont say them cause u'll just critizi it but my other team r and no one plz critiz my team but they r
    gloom
    hypno
    blastoise
    pigeot
    nidrina
    vulpix

every1 i have posted a question in the simple question thread which will majorly improve my team so plz answer it

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    We are offering suggestions to help make you a better trainer, Mr. S. It isn't criticism, but whatever.

The only people I would ever criticize are people who think they know what they are talking about, but really don't. There is only one person here in PC that falls into that category and if you go to Movesets you can probably guess who that is. I hope that you change your attitude and take our suggestions to heart. You will be better for it. I promise.

Phazon Elite

I see "Add Men" is censored.
    Years
    shanecdavis said:
    I mean Absol has THREE (Fire Blast, Thunder, AND Blizzard). Keep in mind that while all three of those moves are 70% accurate (too risky, IMO), Thunder drops down to 40% when Sunny Day is out and Fire Blast drops to 40% when Rain Dance is out.
    .....Hmmm............normally, I wouldn't bother with correcting somebody who is telling somebody else what to do(as I have no idea how important you are to the community), but I guess I will.
    Fire Blast has an accuracy of 85%, not 70%(Blizzard used to be 90% accurate back in ye olden days of Red and Blue). Also, Thunder's accuracy drops to 50%, not 40%, when in the bright, beautiful sunshine. In addition, Fire Blast does not drop in accuracy when in the Rain(waaaaalk................in the rain[/obscure Cowboy Bebop OST quote] ><), but it's power is halved to sixty.

I love this edit text....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back