• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Your Pokémon Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2006
    Deathspector said:
    On the topic of Tyrogues, how do you determinie which evolution it will become?

But on the topic of my team...My Venosaur is now at level 52, and the rest of my team...fifty-one
    (at lvl 19 i.e. the level before it evolves)

attack>defence = hitmonchan
    attack=defence = hitmontop
    attack<defence = hitmonlee

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    My Red theme team is coming along just great. I have beaten the Elite four and I'm training my team now.

Venusaur level 52
    Adamant nature (+Atk -Sp.Atk)

- Tackle (to be replaced with either Body Slam, Synthesis or Sludge Bomb)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Leech Seed
    - Razor Leaf (going to be replaced with Body Slam, Synthesis or Sludge Bomb)

Raichu level 52 (I know, I know. Red never evolved his Pikachu, but it just plain sucked before I evolved it.) @ Leftovers
    Gentle nature (-Def +Sp.Def) - Darn, I only kept this nature because my brother told me Gentle nature raises Sp.Atk and I couldn't check it at the moment. <.<

- Thunderbolt
    - Thunder Wave
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute

Aerodactyl level 56
    Quiet nature (+Sp.Atk -Speed). I accidentaly saved after getting this sucky nature. <.<

Wing Attack (I'm saving the Aerial Ace team for trading over to Emerald so I can give it to a Pokémon that needs it more.)
    Rock Slide
    Double-edge
    Fire Blast (thought I could at least get something out of this sucky nature. I'm not wasting my Earthquake TM on a Quiet Aerodactyl that can't even breed it further. Besides, Gyarados needs Earthquake more. <.< Oh well, at least Fire Blast might lol at Steel types.)

Gyarados level 55
    Adamant nature (+Atk -Sp.Atk)

- Return
    - Earthquake
    - Thunder Wave
    - Dragon Dance

Standard.

Snorlax level 50 @ Leftovers
    Quirky nature (Neutral) - The other one had Impish nature, but its DVs sucked so badly this one will actually get higher defense once it reaches level 100. This guy's other stats are better too)

- Body Slam
    - Shadow Ball
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

So what if I like Stalkerlax?

Poliwhirl level 54 (I won't evolve it before I get over the need of using Surf. My Poliwrath is going to need Hydro Pump for random STAB fun.)
    Docile nature (Neutral) - For some reason I only got Poliwags with neutral natures. This one had the best DVs

- Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Hypnosis
    - [EMPTY FOR NO APPARENT REASON]

Any moveset suggestions for a Poliwrath (for the Battle Frontier in Emerald) are welcome. I have access to Firered, Ruby and Emerald and I'll have access to Leafgreen soon, because my brother is going to buy it shortly. And one more thing, I know the current moveset sucks, I just want people's opinions on a good Poliwrath moveset.)

I'm also training a couple of newly hatched Pokémon now. They are:

Dragonair level 31
    Naughty nature (+Atk -Sp.Def)

- Return (Going to be replaced with Wing Attack once it evolves. The Aerial Ace TM is too valuable.)
    - Thunder Wave (Might be replaced with a random physical move.)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Ice Beam (I'm training this thing against the lady in Resort Gorgeous who has a Hoppip and a Skiploom, so this move is rather useful in training. It will obviously be replaced later.)

Flareon level 31
    Jolly nature (+Speed -Sp.Atk)

- Flamethrower (going to be replaced with Overheat or Fire Blast once I trade it to Emerald. I accidentaly sold my Overheat TM, you see. <.<)
    - Iron Tail
    - Bite (going to be replaced with Body Slam.)
    - Shadow Ball

I also have a bunch of Qwilfish that I bred Flail on in my box. I'll probaly start training the Naive one soon.

Last edited:

Kazyx

H(u)Gs & (ki)SSes for everyone
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2009
    This is the last time I checked my team, and right now they're being used to get Ho-Oh from Colluseum.

Sceptile (lv. 100)
    Nature: Quirky
    Item: Amulet Coin
    Attacks:
    Leaf Blade
    Aerial Ace
    Dig
    Dragon Claw

Rayquaza (lv. 100)
    Nature: Hasty
    Item: Leftovers
    Attacks:
    Dragon Claw
    Fly
    Outrage
    Fire Blast

Mewtwo (lv. 76)
    Nature: Quiet
    Item:N/A
    Attacks:
    Psychic
    Swift
    Recover
    Mega Punch

Flygon (lv. 88)
    Nature: Lax
    Item: N/A
    Attacks:
    Crunch
    Steel Wing
    Sand Tomb
    Dragonbreath

Tyranitar (lv. 61)
    Nature: Lonely
    Item: Blackglasses
    Attacks:
    Crunch
    Thunder
    Earthquake
    Blizzard

Zapdos (lv. 71)
    Nature: Modest
    Item: N/A
    Attacks:
    Fly
    Thunder
    Rain Dance
    Drill Peck

TheFrozen

The frozen feelings...
    Years
    My Team in Ruby is:
    Danger - Mewtwo Lv100
    Meadow(M) - Meganium Lv100
    Flygon(M) - Flygon Lv100
    Blaze(F) - Blaziken Lv100
    Tyrana(F) - Tyranitar Lv??? (Training on colosseum)
    Blitz(M) - Lapras Lv???(Training on Colosseum)

The funny part is that I got 2 pokémons from each generation in my team. ^^;; And mewtwo is from fire red and meganium & tyranitar is from colosseum.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    my team....oh so powerful

arcanine
    nicknamed: stripes
    lv:100
    moveset:
    flamethrower
    fireblast
    extremespeed
    hyperbeam

dragonite
    nicknamed: aurora
    moveset:
    dragon claw
    outrage
    thunder
    hyperbeam

electabuzz
    nicknamed: streak
    moveset:
    thunder
    thunderbolt
    iron tail
    psychic

charizard
    nicknamed: comet
    moveset:
    blast burn
    flamethrower
    fly
    brick break

alakazam
    nickamed: mystic
    moveset:
    psychic
    psybeam
    recover
    shadow ball

kingdra (may i say everyone should have one only one weakness [dragon] woohoooo!!!)
    nicknamed: blue ghost
    moveset:
    hydropump
    ice beam
    hyperbeam
    surf

and i know i should of had a grass instead of two fires but meh...they work well.

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    You probably weren't looking for a rate, but there are a few things you should know. First, avoid putting two attacking moves of the same type on the same Poke. Every single Poke on your team has this problem. I have never understood why trainers do this, as you routinely will only use one move, making that other slot useless and preventing your Poke from being more versatile. Next, avoid using crappy two-turn moves like Hyper Beam. They may seem like a good idea on the surface, but it really is not a good practice. Lastly, type coverage is nice (and typically preferred in-game, with such a pathetically weak AI) but what you want to do is cover your physical and special weaknesses better. You can get the in-game rather easily by using an all-out sweep team, but one of these years GF/Nintendo is going to add difficulty levels where the AI will actually be a little difficult where a six-year cannot beat the whole game. Your team is full of good attackers, but most are frail defensively. If you ever went up against another trainer, they would exploit that weakness right away.

As for your team, I will offer some suggestions. Fixes in bold:
    fell-pokemon-trainer said:
    my team....oh so powerful

arcanine
    nicknamed: stripes
    moveset:
    - Crunch
    - Extremespeed
    - Flamethrower
    - Roar/Toxic/Howl

Having one Fire-type on a team isn't a good idea, and you have two. There are just too many better options. I highly suggest dropping this cat for either Venusaur or Snorlax. Both are much better defensively and make your team stronger and more diverse. If you insist on keeping Arcanine, at least change its moveset. Two Fire and two Normal moves. That SEVERLY limits what Arcanine is able to do. Granted it has a crappy movepool to begin with, but make it a little happier by allowing it to do more. With its high SAtk, FB is not needed. Breed for Crunch instead. Extremespeed is actually a MUCH better move than HB since it takes you two-turns to pull off a 150 AP attack, while you can attack TWICE with an 80 AP attack, that will attack first. 160 > 150. Plus, you can switch out after one Extremespeed attack. The last slot is indicative of its bad movepool and the main reason why Arcanine is a better NB Poke than in-game/link Poke.

dragonite
    nicknamed: aurora
    moveset:
    - Focus Punch//Aerial Ace
    - Ice Beam//Dragon Dance
    - Substitute//Earthquake
    - Thunderbolt//Ice Beam/Thunderbolt

What you have here is one STAB move, one that causes confusion, one that isn't accurate, and one that takes two-turns. Other Dragonite's are making fun of your Nite behind its back. Dragonite has such an incredible movepool, that it is just a shame not to take advantage of it. The first option is the SubPunchBoltBeam version. This Nite can be an absolute terror and is a great team player, with its good defenses and great typing. The next option is the Dragon Dance version. It is more physical than special, and takes advantage of its already high Atk.

electabuzz
    nicknamed: streak
    moveset:
    - Cross Chop
    - Fire Punch/Ice Punch
    - Light Screen/Psychic
    - Thunderbolt

Another versatile Poke that is being limited by its moveset. You will need to breed for CC, FP, and IP. Which punch you use is up to you. I would lose the two Fire-types on your team and go with FP. LS can be a big help to your team or you can go with Psychic for some diversity.

charizard
    nicknamed: comet
    moveset:
    - Aerial Ace
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower
    - Swords Dance

Do not use Charizard if you go with DD Dragonite. Also, NEVER use Fly. Aerial Ace is 9999 times better. EQ over Brick Break, and then add SD over the crappy Blast Burn. Charizard just isn't as good as it once was. Personally, I would switch out Zard for a Poke that can utilize physical attacks better. Aerodactyl instantly comes to mind.

alakazam
    nickamed: mystic
    moveset:
    - Calm Mind
    - Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Thunder Punch
    - Psychic
    - Recover

A couple of things with Zam. First, don't bother with SB since its Atk is so low that non-STAB SB won't do a whole lot. Go with Ice/Thunder/Fire Punch instead, preferably not the same punch you gave Electabuzz. Use Calm Mind to allow it to sweep hard.

kingdra (may i say everyone should have one only one weakness [dragon] woohoooo!!!)
    nicknamed: blue ghost
    moveset:
    - Ice Beam
    - Rain Dance
    - Rest
    - Surf

Kingdra has the Swift Swim Ability, so it is a must to give it Rain Dance, since it will make it faster than any other unboosted Poke in the game. Also give it Rest and then have it hold Chesto Berry. Now it can fully heal/remove status and wake up the next turn. I wouldn't use this strategy in link battles that tend to last longer, but against the pathetic AI, one Rest should be all you need. Its lone Dragon weakness makes it a solid in-game Poke, as Dragon moves are almost non-existant and you can outspeed any Dragon-type you face anyway. Using RD also makes it necessary to avoid using Fire-types.

and i know i should of had a grass instead of two fires but meh...they work well.
    With a few changes, your team becomes a lot more versatile and much easier to use.

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2006
    this is my team, i would highly appreciate any suggestions!!

Venusaur
    nature: jolly
    frenzy plant
    solarbeam
    sludge bomb
    earthquake

raichu
    nature: lax
    thunder
    slam
    quick attack
    thunderbolt

vaporeon
    gentle
    surf
    ice beam
    substitute
    rest

gyarados
    hardy
    ice beam
    surf
    hyper beam
    dragon dance

flareon
    brave
    flamethrower
    smog
    quick attack
    body slam

entei
    bold
    flamethrower
    toxic
    fire spin
    stomp

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2006
    rate by shanec davis

thanks and i only have two of the same type moves on the same pokemon because of fear of them running out of pp.

Years
    • Seen Jun 23, 2007
    Since I just started a new game on my Firered... these are all I got:

Machoke LV 48:
    Low Kick
    Cross Chop
    Revenge
    Karate Chop

Gyarados LV 49:
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Flamethrower
    Hydro Pump

Kadabra LV 48:
    Trick
    Shadow Ball
    Iron Tail
    Psychic

And last but not least... CHARIZARD! LV 49:
    Flamethrower
    Slash
    Wing Attack
    Fly

Yeah I know they aren't that good... I did just start a new game.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    First I will have you refer to my comments to fell-pokemon-trainer, just up the page a little bit concerning:

- two attacking moves of the same type
    - crappy two-turn moves like Hyper Beam, Solarbeam, Frenzy Plant, etc.
    - knowing your Pokes physical/special weaknesses and strengths, not just their type

As for your team, fixes in bold:
    Viviene said:
    this is my team, i would highly appreciate any suggestions!!

Venusaur
    nature: jolly
    - Leech Seed//Earthquake
    - Sleep Powder//Razor Leaf
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Synthesis//Swords Dance

Ouch on the Nature. I would have suggested Careful. Venusaur isn't much of an attacker and its Nature even makes it moreso. But, this is in-game afterall. The first is the typical preferred tank set. The second set is more of an attacker. SD is necessary to raise its Atk high enough. RL might not hit very hard with Jolly though. At any rate, DO NOT use Frenzy Plant or Solarbeam. Two-turn moves are horrible. Only use Solarbeam with Sunny Day, and not on this team as it will hamper Vaporeon.

raichu
    nature: lax
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Thunderbolt

4 moves that are only Super Effective against ONE type. Bad strategy. Raichu is no Jolteon or Electabuzz, but it is the Electric-type with the highest base Atk. Take advantage of that with SubPunch. Works very well against the pathetic AI, since its attacks are so random.

vaporeon
    gentle
    surf
    ice beam
    substitute
    rest

Looks like you already used your Sub on your Vaporeon. Unfortunate. I guess it will come in handy. I much prefer Wish over Rest, but it certainly works. I would suggest that Vaporeon hold a Chesto Berry, so that it wakes up immediately after resting. Works great in-game since battles don't last nearly as long as the do otherwise.

gyarados
    hardy
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Hydro Pump
    - Return

Poor, poor Gyarados. Let me explain a few things. First, DD only works with physical attacks. Gyarados base SAtk is horrible, so don't bother giving it any special attacks that aren't called Hydro Pump. Hyper Beam doesn't need a DD boost, and shouldn't be used in the first place. Neutral Natures are bad. Gyarados was meant to be a physical attacker, especially with DD. It is a much better Poke in NB, where you can utilize Hidden Power [Flying] and Taunt, but it can still be good in-game. It looks as though you have wasted your EQ on Venusaur as well. Normally I wouldn't suggest Normal moves on types not called Normal, but Gyarados has quite a limited movepool. If you cannot get EQ, I suggest a different Poke, like Aerodactyl.

flareon
    brave
    - flamethrower
    - Shadow Ball
    - quick attack
    - body slam/Return

If you are planning on keeping Entei on your team, than this guy is absolutely useless. Entei can do anything Flareon can do, even more, and even better. Personally, I don't like Fire-types on teams at all, but that is just me. If you keep Flareon, then switch out Entei. Brave is an excellent Nature for Flareon, but you failed to take advantage of it. Shadow Ball gives it more versatility and at least addresses your Ghost weakness. Still, I would get rid of one of these two and add a Psychic/Ghost/Fighting type.

entei
    bold
    - Calm Mind/Reflect
    - flamethrower
    - Substitute/Sunny Day
    - toxic/Solarbeam

This Poke just seems out of place. Fire is one of the worst types in the game, and Entei is certainly the worst "Dog". The limited movepool doesn't help either. Sadly the Sunny Day set is its best option and not one I would consider for your team.

You have pretty good defensive Pokes in Vulvasaur and Vaporeon, but lack a strong physical attacker. Address your issues and your team will flow much better.

Green Bulbasaur

Grass Lover
    Years
    What do you guys think of my moveset for Venasaur:

Venasaur (Docile Nature)
    -Solarbeam
    -Sunny Day
    -Leech Seed
    -Sleep Powder

adeebsworld

dragon pokemon collector
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2010
    my team

mine is:

Blastoise level 56
    Alakazam level 56
    Arcanine level 55
    Raichu level 55
    Dragonite level 56
    Aerodactyl level 56

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    More information on your team would be highly appreciated.

What moves? What Nature? Is this team for in-game or link battles? Helpful info like that.

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    Neutral natures aren't all that bad. Of course if you know about what EV's you want your Pokemon to have you wouldn't try to get a Neutral nature, but you could be stuck with worse natures however...like a -Att. nature on a Attacking Pokemon, or a -Spd nature on a Pokemon that needs speed.

If your going to pack a Fire type IMO it should be Houndoom, I think he's one of the most useful Fire types...he can come in on a Gengar, or Alakazam Psychic, Shadow Ball, Fire/Ice Punch...and then OHKO it with Crunch or Pursuit if it tries to switch out, not too mention both of Houndoom's types counter Celebi, and Jirachi.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Meh. Houndoom is still part-Fire. Being weak to both Water and Ground will forever make Fire one of the worst types in the game. Sadly, if they ever come up with decent Bug moves and decent Bug Pokes (that don't follow the same mold of evolving early then becoming utterly useless later), Fire and Poison will slide into the worst slot.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back