• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Reaction: IF there were no new megas in Sun and Moon

Years
    • SC
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Rather than no new megas, I'd rather see Pokemon that need megas get megas. Several Pokemon that are able to mega evolve really didn't need a mega evolution in my opinion. Such as Metagross, Salamence, Charizard, etc.
    Of course it's awesome to see favorites get megas in theory, but they should focus more on Pokemon that would really benefit from a mega evolution, and possibly get some underused Pokemon more usage. But I agree that they need to focus on giving better movepools to Pokemon that need them, as you said.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    Such a clickbait title...

I feel like there are Megas that making worse would improve the game although I can't remember any examples of this. Maybe Mega Kangaskan having the second attack only do .25 damage, some other Megas I have felt that they need less stats.

I have no problem with there being new Megas though.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I would be THRILLED if there were no new mega pokemon. If they were just stat boosted pokemon, that would be one thing, but way too many are completely different pokemon when they mega evolve (so a physical pokemon is suddenly a special pokemon, or their new ability suddenly can only be utilized well by a completely different moveset than what they would normally have) so you have to train some pokemon ENTIRELY for their mega evolutions and if you trained a pokemon one way, a new game comes out and suddenly the mega fits into the previously mentioned category, suddenly the pokemon you have is no good anymore if you want to make use of that mega and start all over again and if so, you ALWAYS need to mega evolve it because it's trained for that form, rather than having the mega as an OPTION. Honestly, if they not only did no more new mega evolutions and even removed megas altogether (so it would have been a gen 6 exclusive thing) I could not be happier!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I would be shocked if there are no new mega evolutions in these games. Absolutely shocked.

Of course, it's GameFreak. Who knows what they are planning...

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've changed the thread title so it doesn't give the impression there was an announcement made about mega Pokemon.

I'd be pretty surprised and doubt it'll happen as well. And a metagame that doesn't change doesn't sound interesting to me tbqh.

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Great! Finally they won't be focusing on megas, so maybe we can get evolutions to past mons instead, and a more fleshed out game!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Several Pokemon that are able to mega evolve really didn't need a mega evolution in my opinion. Such as Metagross, Salamence, Charizard, etc.

Except Salamence, Metagross, and Charizard do need Mega evolutions because right now they're in the low tiers without their Megas. Charizard had been suffering the most, despite being one of the most popular Pokemon, and since the beginning of Gen 6, Salamence and Metagross dropped out of OU when Fairies were introduced and Steel lost their Ghost and Dark resistances.

I can't believe you guys are all for this. The days of cross-gen evolutions are over (unless you're Eevee), as Mega Evolution provides a solution to giving older Pokemon a new purpose to battle in the high tiers without being criticized for their appearance, which was a major criticism for cross-gen evos (e.g. Probopass, Rhyperior, etc.). No megas in Sun and Moon would be extremely disappointing for those who were hoping for new Mega Evolutions of other older Pokemon who were waiting in line to get one.

Years
  • As Marcin said when he changed the thread title, we don't want the impression that Megas aren't returning. As Pinkie said, it appears Megas are the new focus to improving older Pokemon so that's why I don't get my hopes up for evolutions to old Pokemon. Sylveon was an exception because it was mainly to showcase Fairy-type.

Years
    • SC
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    Except Salamence, Metagross, and Charizard do need Mega evolutions because right now they're in the low tiers without their Megas. Charizard had been suffering the most, despite being one of the most popular Pokemon, and since the beginning of Gen 6, Salamence and Metagross dropped out of OU when Fairies were introduced and Steel lost their Ghost and Dark resistances.

I can't believe you guys are all for this. The days of cross-gen evolutions are over (unless you're Eevee), as Mega Evolution provides a solution to giving older Pokemon a new purpose to battle in the high tiers without being criticized for their appearance, which was a major criticism for cross-gen evos (e.g. Probopass, Rhyperior, etc.). No megas in Sun and Moon would be extremely disappointing for those who were hoping for new Mega Evolutions of other older Pokemon who were waiting in line to get one.

Touche. I guess my point was just that there weren't many Pokemon who aren't/haven't been fan favorites that got megas. But, at the same time, the best way to introduce something new is to introduce it with something that is already loved by the fan base.

I want to see new megas, but I want to see them go to under used and older Pokemon. There are a lot of Pokemon people don't use because their stats aren't the best and could really use that boost. And there are a lot of Pokemon people don't use because of appearance, as you said.

I love Mega Evolution despite my opinions on which Pokemon should and shouldn't get them, and I honestly don't think Game Freak is going to just throw out something they've been pushing on us since X/Y came out.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    What if certain pokemons both get a new evolution and that new evolution get a mega at the same time ?

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    What if certain pokemons both get a new evolution and that new evolution get a mega at the same time ?

It be interesting, but I'd prefer them give the evolution time to shine before slapping a mega onto it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    The only way I could see this is if they did away with mega-evolution in general, which I don't see them doing. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to stick with just the ones that have them now, as it is a very peculiar group of Pokemon.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I wouldn't really care either way. I'd be slightly disappointed if there wasn't at least a Mega Flygon, but giving things Megas isn't really all that important to me. I'm more interested in seeing new designs.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I can't say I agree in regards to it being "healthier" for the metagame: if there were no new Megas, the only way for people to use Pokémon other than Mega Kang, Mega Mence, Mega Mawile is if the normal (non-Mega) Pokémon were stronger than that. But that would break the metagame, because it would be one of the worst cases of power-creep I've ever seen. It would lead to really really awful balancing and I don't think anyone wants that... It would truly be for the best if more Megas were introduced, even if the number was less than what we saw in XY/ORAS.

Outside of mechanical/balancing reasons, it doesn't make sense for a new gameplay mechanic to just be dropped like that. That would be like saying "Game Freak won't make new Fairy-Types this gen," or saying "Gen 3 won't add any more Steel- or Dark-Types."

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023

I guess. I still like the idea of cross-gen evos, personally, especially for Pokemon that can't evolve. I've never been fond of the Mega Evolution mechanic, and I don't really care if it returns or not (though I expect it to be a big part of the series from here on out, so that's probably a moot point). One of the things that bothers me about megas is that while they make Pokemon better, you can only have one on your team, and certain megas therefore never tend to get used. The same issue occurs with regular Pokemon, sure, but the mechanics of megas make them particularly centralizing, and I didn't feel like we needed another centralizing mechanic. As someone whose favorite Pokemon got a mega that improved it, but still doesn't make it particularly viable for top-level play, I guess I'm annoyed (even though I happily use that mega on my in-game team).

That being said, megas are a good way to get new forms for Pokemon without having to worry as much about appearance (though poorly-designed megas still bug me). And now that megas are part of the franchise, it would probably be weird not to make them for the Pokemon that remain. But I still can't say I'd be all that upset if they were removed from the franchise entirely, and not featured in Sun and Moon.

Back