• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Reaction: IF there were no new megas in Sun and Moon

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
Years
  • My reaction?

*UNIVERSE END*

Basically, that will never happen. Fan demand, well deserved megas like Pachirisu,Minun and Plusle, and Raichu, and they are just straight out awesome. What I do expect is that most previous megas will be impossible to obtain in Sun and Moon. However, IF there weren't, I wouldn't care much at all. Mega Latios is the best and the only Mega evolution I use not counting Mega Blaziken. Latios is bad compared to Latias but Latios Mega is all I need to kick Latias and pretty much most other Pokemon butt.

Last edited:

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I guess. I still like the idea of cross-gen evos, personally, especially for Pokemon that can't evolve. I've never been fond of the Mega Evolution mechanic, and I don't really care if it returns or not (though I expect it to be a big part of the series from here on out, so that's probably a moot point). One of the things that bothers me about megas is that while they make Pokemon better, you can only have one on your team, and certain megas therefore never tend to get used. The same issue occurs with regular Pokemon, sure, but the mechanics of megas make them particularly centralizing, and I didn't feel like we needed another centralizing mechanic. As someone whose favorite Pokemon got a mega that improved it, but still doesn't make it particularly viable for top-level play, I guess I'm annoyed (even though I happily use that mega on my in-game team).
    They had to keep it one Mega per team for balancing purposes. Otherwise, a full team of Megas would be no different than a full team of ubers.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • "No new megas? Meh, who cares... There's new Pokémon, that's more important!
    That would be me.

Years
  • It would be surprising. It probably wouldn't make that much of a difference, although it might be an interesting choice. Might be underwhelming if they just added the Mega-Evolutions later, though. They probably want to keep as many of the Pokémon from earlier in their series, though, rather than replacing them with Mega-Evolutions, both to anchor the series, retain their popular appeal and meaning, and in general due to more symbolic Pokémon like Pikachu.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    That would be surprisingly sad, I would feel bad for M-Mawile, M-Gardevoir in particular. They saw the light when Mega Evolutions were given to them.

Years
  • That would be surprisingly sad, I would feel bad for M-Mawile, M-Gardevoir in particular. They saw the light when Mega Evolutions were given to them.

I agree, if the Mega Evolution mechanic as a whole was removed, I could imagine many Pokemon that rely on it will get booted back down to the lower tiers. Charizard was one that I know suffered until Megas came into play.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • They have said they wanted all pokemon to eventually get Megas. I don't see them booting them out.

However, if they did, I would be disappointed. When I first heard about them, I really liked the concept as long as they weren't considered new pokemon by Dex Entry. I don't see why they would stop making Megas when those would be far easier to make than new pokemon. They work with a design and change it more.

If they don't add megas, I hope they have a massive amount of new pokemon to deal with the lack of Kalos Pokemon because of so many Megas. Not to mention Megas have become extremely popular, if they just up in remove it, it would make little to no sense.

Not to mention that Megas play a massive part in the movie with Magerna.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Well, it would depend on what they're adding to replace them - are we getting some new kind of power-up for regular Pokemon? Perhaps new evolutions for older Pokemon to improve their stats? If it was just the removal of Mega Evolution, I'd be quite disappointed; it doesn't really feel like they've fully explored the concept yet. Very few Pokemon have Mega Evolution, and they certainly haven't properly wrapped up the story in the games. Ending it now would feel very incomplete, so I'd expect something to either replace it or continue it. Just cutting it out...too soon, in my opinion.

Years
  • That would be excellent imo. It's good for the health of the metagame and I'd rather have them add a few tweaks such as better movepools to Pokemon that need them. Perhaps that'll actually keep me around and I'll play some SM.

Healthy, HEALTHY? No new Megas won't fix Gengar Son. Some Pokémon got megas unlike their counterparts, Movie 19 will have Megas, and we might get more due to the Sundial. Besides, Gamefreak could easily focus more on Defenses when making new Megas instead of having Froslass cheated.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I think it'd be awesome. Yeah we keep the megas we've got, but do we really need to megafy everything? Leave it in generation six. Other things that have mysteriously been "discovered" in one generation have been lost in another, so it's not uncommon. But we probably will get megas, and they will be overpowered, and yeah it brings variety but we already have lots, can't we be done with them and go back to normal evolutions? :')

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I would be a bit surprised if they made no more mega evolutions. Mega Evolution was by far the most hyped/marketed feature of the 6th generation, to the point where it factored into the stories and lore of X/Y and ORAS (though they screwed it up a little lol). It would be odd to see them suddenly ditch mega evolution; they've rode that train too hard to stop right now.

Behexen

Mediocre Trainer
    Years
  • I'm also totally for the Gen 4 route. New evolutions please, even if I have to trade them with an item. Or more than 50-some pokémon this time? Either way, I prefer new pokémon over new megas, so I really wouldn't mind. On that note, we will be getting plenty of new megas, that's just obvious, so I hope they go to some deserving pokémon. I'd love to see a mega darmanitan personally.

Years
  • Touche. I guess my point was just that there weren't many Pokemon who aren't/haven't been fan favorites that got megas. But, at the same time, the best way to introduce something new is to introduce it with something that is already loved by the fan base.

I want to see new megas, but I want to see them go to under used and older Pokemon. There are a lot of Pokemon people don't use because their stats aren't the best and could really use that boost. And there are a lot of Pokemon people don't use because of appearance, as you said.

I love Mega Evolution despite my opinions on which Pokemon should and shouldn't get them, and I honestly don't think Game Freak is going to just throw out something they've been pushing on us since X/Y came out.
    To be honest, all of them did need Megas to be viable in VGC though.

I'd actually be a little bummed out if there were no new Megas. New Mega evolutions means we get to see Pokemon that wouldn't be viable otherwise see usage

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    As a competitive player i would be very disappointing if there were no new megas because it means the meta game would still revolve around the same mons in Sun and Moon

Back