• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your starter pokemon isn't your partner

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 4, 2024
    Well did you ever had a playthrough were you "ditch" your starter and made another pokemon your partner?
    And what was your starter pokemon then?
    And who was your partner?

I had two times I did that. One time in Ruby and one time Soulsilver.
    In Ruby I ditch Torchic because I wanted to send him to my diamond and Breloom was my partner then because I used him and liked him a lot.

In Soulsilver I traded my Chikorita and two other pokemon (probarly first route pokemon) to HG to fill up my pokedex and got the three kanto starter pokemon I went for a Kanto team and my partner was Jolteon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I've ditched starters mostly in DPPt (though I usually will keep Empoleon) and BW. I just don't like those starters that much. I rarely ever ditch my starter in RSE, GSC, or RBY, unless I'm doing a challenge where my starter doesn't meet the criteria for the team.

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2013
    Quite a few times actually. I've switched a Squirtle for Pidgeot and Torchic for Ralts To name a few

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    I usually don't, unless I'm trying to use a really unusual team that I've never used before. I was going to ditch my starter in B/W, because I didn't like any of them, but Oshawott grew on me over time, so I ended up keeping him. lol

blue

gucci
    Years
    In previous generations I never ditched my starter but now, there's so many more Pokémon I'd like on my team in place of my starter who will most likely end up in the Daycare.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    For the most part, I tend to ditch my Starter critter after a suitable alternative comes along. The most recent example is in Black: I chose Oshawott and kept it until it became a Samurott; I would have ditched it (because it's sooooooooo bad, you guys!) sooner, but there aren't really any good Water critters until after the completion of the Elite Four. In Gold/SoulSilver, I ditched by Typhlosion as soon as I could get my hands on a Houndoom (again, after the E4, unfortunately). I think I did end up keeping my Charizard/Blaziken, however, so they are definitely exceptions to this rule.

dnomyar27

Beginning VulpixEevee Lover
    Years
    [SIZE="a"]I ditch Meganium in HeartGold. It has powerful moves but only grass normal, so i gave it to daycare lol, it was lvl54 but anyway. Then i raise a gloom, i dont know why i like it[/SIZE]

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
    More often than not, actualy. I almost always keep my Johto Starters, cause I LOVE Typhlosion, and don't use Maganium enough to get bored of it.

Years
    I never ditch starters until I defeat the elite four. I dont know why, I feel weird if I dont have a starter on my team. I grow very attached to them anyway :3

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2013
    All the time. Waaay back in RBY days when I was like 8 I did a run where Butterfree was my main as well as a Pidgeot. It just depends on my mood when I start playing.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Not really. I remember popping Chimchar into the PC box and taking a Shinx with me in Pearl once though. Don't know why, I think it's because I figured out how rubbish Chimchar actually is.
    Chimchar line is rubbish? I guess that is what Infernape is OU and Charizard is NU cause the line is rubbish. I get you may not like the style, but Infernape is quite usefully in terms of battle. Albeit both are quite useful in-game.

For the most part, I tend to ditch my Starter critter after a suitable alternative comes along. The most recent example is in Black: I chose Oshawott and kept it until it became a Samurott; I would have ditched it (because it's sooooooooo bad, you guys!) sooner, but there aren't really any good Water critters until after the completion of the Elite Four. In Gold/SoulSilver, I ditched by Typhlosion as soon as I could get my hands on a Houndoom (again, after the E4, unfortunately). I think I did end up keeping my Charizard/Blaziken, however, so they are definitely exceptions to this rule.
    Jellicent is available pre-elite four as well as Carracosta and Seismitoad. Each of those seem just as viable if not more then Samurott.

As for me I plan on ditch my starters in BW2 since I'd rather use others close to the beginning as my go too. Not to mention I already used Oshawott and Tepig before and I don't really have a desire to use them again, and I am not fond of Serperior so I can't see me using it.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Jellicent is available pre-elite four as well as Carracosta and Seismitoad. Each of those seem just as viable if not more then Samurott.
    And I really dislike those as well! Believe me, I did consider my crappy, crappy options before finally sticking with that fugly otter/sea-lion thing. :D

Years
    I don't main any Pokemon. I train all equally. A slogan of mine: "Dual-types are all I train, and I train all dual-types." And there are a lot of dual-types in each game. Put it this way: I re-match much. But my starter is on the same level as all my others.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2012
    I don't think I ever have ditched my starter. I always felt connected to them in some way so i never let them go. ^^

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    hmm, ive only ditched my starters in BW and DPPT because those starters do not interest me unlike the others. usually i replaced them with fillers or just hm slaves

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    If I recall correctly, I only started ditching the starter once BW came out. The first time I played through White, I switched out my Dewott once Frillish was available. During my second playthrough, when I had planned a 'multicoloured' team, I ditched Emboar (red) once Pawniard (red) became available.

Every other time since then, each time I replay any of the games, if I plan on not using the Starter from the beginning, I end up boxing them once I get access to my first team member.

Years
    Chimchar line is rubbish? I guess that is what Infernape is OU and Charizard is NU cause the line is rubbish. I get you may not like the style, but Infernape is quite usefully in terms of battle. Albeit both are quite useful in-game.

He's right, Infernape is way more awesome than Charizard.

Prior to the 5th Gen, I used to ditch my starter due to me wanting to use Pokemon based on looks although I'm considering restarting Platinum and choosing Chimchar cos it's my fave Sinnoh Starter.

Never ditched my starter in Black cos I love the Oshawott line.

Back