• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your starter?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Just a simple question--which starter did you wind up selecting in your play-through of Pokémon X and Y, and why? Have they made a valuable member of your team?

Years
froakie.gif
frogadier.gif
greninja.gif

As you can tell, I swore loyalty to the Water starter again. Froakie's line was the one I definitely fell in love with the most (despite initially being my least fave of the three, but its evos changed that) because the ninja theme is something that seems to go well with frogs, but also because it's fast and hits hard which tends to be my kind of battle style. Given Water-types are my fave type, it's no surprise.

Years
I picked Froakie for Y. I liked Froakie the most from the start, and I created my nickname two months before X and Y, which was Blubs. Blubs, the Lv. 5 Froakie, became Blubs, the Lv. 100 Greninja after defeating the Hall of Fame about 8 times.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
Fennekin, nicknamed Fenny, and stayed as a cute little Fennekin until I beaten the PKMN League. xD

...I still don't like how Braixen and Delphox looks. :/

fennekin.gif
Braixen_XY.gif
655.gif

Team Fennekin all the way! I don't care that it's middle evolution looked a little strange! It gains the Psychic Type when it fully evolves, and in my book, that adds about 50 extra Cool points. My Delphox in X, Elphaba, was my MVP on my first League team, even though I had to teach her Grass Knot to take care of Callem's annoying Greninja. I still love Delphox and I really want to get around to IV breeding one someday. And do I even need to mention it's shiny sprite?
shiny_delphox_global_link_art_by_trainerparshen-d6v3ws3.png
I don't care what anyone says, I think it looks cool.
Case closed... :)

JGGray6

Huge PokeFan
Years
I have used all three but my favorite is Chespin because I love grass types and he evolves into a power monster as Chesnaught.

Dark Phantom Samurai

Finesse & Perfection
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 10, 2014
I Started and played through the game without any knowledge of what new Pokemon were in it... I just chose froakie.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
Years
I usually pick the grass starters, but this time around I chose Froakie. I kind of regret it. I like Fennekin more. Which is also very weird for me.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I started with Fennekin because I always use the fire starter, but Delphox disappointed me. Greninja was so much cooler so I restarted the game and picked Froakie instead. Now my Greninja is a beast.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 14, 2022
I initially liked Fennekin best as I normally go with the fire types but didn't like the look of either of its evolutions. So I broke a long standing tradition of never choosing the grass type and picked Chespin. I don't think it ever saw the inside of a box until postgame when I started breeding projects and started levelling loads of others for the dex entries lol.

Years
I picked Fennekin its my favorite starter full stop. Kalo's really has a great bunch of starters as a whole and i have used all three of them in my game at some point.
Kalos and Kanto must be the only starter setS I like all three in (which is kind of cool you get a free Kanto starter as well in X and Y)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I've used both Froakie and Fennekin, starting with Froakie when I first got X. Unfortunately, it had a neutral nature, but I liked Greninja's stats, typing and learnset. I got a lot luckier next time around, by getting a Modest Fennekin. I'm currently considering whether to re-EV train my Delphox or not, so I could use it for competitive battling. :3

Years
Feels like we've had this topic several times already but sure, why not reply to it again.

Anyway, my main playthrough of X had me choosing Chespin. It's my favorite of the three starters by design, and it did do me pretty good even if it wasn't too good against any of the Gyms I came up against. But one of my challenges, a very difficult Wedlocke, had me picking Froakie based on my ID No, but it became a Greninja and it lived all the way to the end, as a Frogadier there were a couple times where it came super close to dying but it didn't. It was quite good for the team.

To say the least I really like all three starters in this game, they're probably my favorite batch of starters yet.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
10 out of the 11 copies (new copies of the game, I never restarted) of XY I started playing, Fennekin has been my choice (the other time I choose Chespin).

It's my 2nd most favorite starter of all time (Oshy o the 5th gen takes first), love the typing and especially love it's fox design - every time I used it, it's always been an excellent addition to my teams (it was also the first shiny starter I ever used)

RetroFanatic

Warlock
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Mar 14, 2015
I went with Fennekin but traded for the other ones. Don't particularly like Chesnuaght much, double-weakness and all.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I'm used to choosing the Water-type Pokemon since the very first generation. Sadly this time I couldn't resist the idea of a Psychic/Fire Pokemon LOL!

Years
I chose Fennekin, and named him McCloud, however when I got Charmander he became my main fire pokemon and eventually I dropped McCloud from my main team. I should have thought it through, though since I could have just picked Chespin and I would have had reliable fire and grass types on my main team.

rhydon91

THE Pokemon Master
Years
XY: Froakie, BW: Snivy, DP: Turtwig, RS: Treecko, GS: Cyndaquil, RB: Charmander

I have played the games over enough times to experience every starter of every generation, but these are my inital choices/favorites! Some are really close, especially RB, but these are my faves.

Back