• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your thoughts about Ash

What do you think about Ash?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2dragonmager

Randomness Occurs
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2012
    What do you think about Ash?

Even though Ash is a good trainer, he is pretty annoying in the beginning.
    Your thoughts about Ash

Last edited:

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Why did you use that picture of evil AshXD Well any ways, I like him. Ash is my favorite character in the series, he makes me laugh and does some awesome things.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    Why do so many people create topics about what people think of Ash? Seriously, the mods should make one a sticky, so some people can enjoy cyclic monotony in their own time.

He's a stock character, nothing more, and pretending he has depth could be laughable. I've never encountered a character with a bigger, redder seasonal reset button than Ash. His base personality isn't bad- I don't personally dislike him, but I'm sick of him and the threads he indirectly springs up.

There are Ash debates EVERYWHERE.

Years
    Debates? I'm positive that the majority of the older fanbase finds Ash to be a horrible character. Many are even asking for him to just be cut from the show.

Where should I begin? How about his positive points?

Pros

• His name is pretty cool.
    • He owns quite a few Pokemon I like.
    • He doesn't evolve all his Pokemon which makes him unique.
    • He doesn't always win.
    • He can alter reality to suit his needs. What's that? Ground types are immune to electric attacks? That's okay; the horn is now vulnerable! Losing a double battle due to bad typing? Fine, just electrocute your flying-type teammate! It won't hurt them; they'll get armor!Is your Oshawott missing its shell? Go ahead and shoot water at the wall; it'll ricochet off rocks and hit your shell at the right angle right back to you. Is a pirate with belts on his beard stealing a legendary Pokemon? No problem; just go super saiyan. The list goes on and on.
    • He's always saving a Pokemon, town, forest, temple, etc. and has even saved the world a couple times.
    • He's based off Red.
    • He's also died about 5 times now but keeps being resurrected. That's pretty cool.
    Cons

• He's been 10 years-old for 14 years.
    • He's incredibly immature, yet he's suppose to be "our hero".
    • ^After all that time he still doesn't know how to catch Pokemon.
    • He treats Pokemon as if they're disposable items, despite what he says about compassion and kindness. Some Pokemon have seen very little use ever since he caught them.
    • He's a complete idiot and knew absolutely nothing about Pokemon when he started. He can't recognize Team Rocket when they're wearing glasses, his immediate reaction to a major crisis is to ram into the thing causing the problem, he thinks aromatherapy is a Pokemon, etc. His idiocy isn't even funny, unlike characters like Team Rocket and Luffy from One Piece.
    • He's a horrible trainer and relies on ridiculous and obscure methods to win his battles. It's extremely anti-climatic.
    • He cries to get his badges.
    • He's a horribly boring character.
    • He's a complete idiot yet somehow he manages to make it very far in prestigious tournaments across the country. Usually with his obscure methods. Really, there is no way that Ash may be one of the 4 best trainers in the Sinnoh region (Albeit he may be considered an amateur due to people like Cynthia). You'd think there'd be more experienced and older trainers out there.That's just bad writing. If Ash makes it that far in a tournament you need to make him seem somewhat competent. Then again, this is a world where no one ages...
    • Thunderbolt on everything.
    • He can't beat a young Snivy without electric moves, even though electric moves are resisted by it anyways.
    • He now catches many Pokemon I dislike, and I hate how he somehow manages to find all the starters.
    • He tends to use very cookie-cutter teams.
    • The majority of the problems in this list have persisted ever since the original series. Most of these issues have yet to be addressed after 14 years which is another instance of bad writing.
    I'm sure I can think of more cons.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I feel like he never developed very much character wise due to him being so young for so long and that he should have evolved Pikachu a long time ago now TBH.

GStheHero

YouTube Battler
    Years
    Ash would be an alright character if it weren't for the resets. By this point, he should be at least 14 or so and know a good deal about Pokemon.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I preferred dull, serious DP Ash to the over-excitable BW Ash. I know that he's supposed to be going back to his noobish Indigo League personality, but it's actually much more insanely annoying him acting this way when you know he's acted more maturely through AG and DP.

Why do so many people create topics about what people think of Ash?

Might have something to do with him being the main character.

Pros

• His name is pretty cool.
    • He owns quite a few Pokemon I like.
    • He doesn't evolve all his Pokemon which makes him unique.
    • He doesn't always win.
    • He can alter reality to suit his needs. What's that? Ground types are immune to electric attacks? That's okay; the horn is now vulnerable! Losing a double battle due to bad typing? Fine, just electrocute your flying-type teammate! It won't hurt them; they'll get armor!Is your Oshawott missing its shell? Go ahead and shoot water at the wall; it'll ricochet off rocks and hit your shell at the right angle right back to you. Is a pirate with belts on his beard stealing a legendary Pokemon? No problem; just go super saiyan. The list goes on and on.
    • He's always saving a Pokemon, town, forest, temple, etc. and has even saved the world a couple times.
    • He's based off Red.
    • He's also died about 5 times now but keeps being resurrected. That's pretty cool.

Some people like Ash for being a genuinely kind character and putting himself before his Pokemon *used to haunt an Ash fanclub*

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Seems more like why did Ash reset again threads. Or OMG how could Ash lose to a Snivy! Some of them are debates. But what do you expect he is the main character of the series of course there will be a good deal of threads focused on him.

As for how I feel about Ash. He has almost little to no developement over 14 years. His antics are still the same as they were first gen. His teams are so predictable, wow regional bird, wow starters, I'm impressed. He over uses that Electric Rodent way to much. I would prefer if they just used Pikachu for big matches, cause his usage detracts from other newer pokemon. He uses luck over skill some times to win his matches, so it's no wonder he loses to gym leaders from time to time. A lot of times he relies overly on one pokemon be it Pikachu, Charizard, Infernape that just doesn't sit well with me spread the love around. He loses all sense of intelligence upon the arrival of a new saga, making his character almost unbearable through the first half of the series.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
    and that he should have evolved Pikachu a long time ago now TBH.

If you paid attention to the episode when Ash battled Lt. Surge and lost, he tried to evolve Pikachu. But upon seeing the Thunderstone Nurse Joy gave Ash, Pikachu swatted it out of his hand. Meowth then translated that he wants to be a Pikachu, and prove that he can beat Lt. Surge and his Raichu without needing to evolve.

And honestly, Pikachu is the face of the anime. A lot of little kids like Pikachu, and having him evolve would make a lot of little kids sad.

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
    I really started to like Ash as a character during the Sinnoh arc. It was the first time he was actually showing some signs of character development: it was almost as though Gary putting him in his place just after he won the Battle Frontier knocked some sense into him, and he started to actually develop a little over the course of the series - I think this was due in part to Dawn's journey having almost as much emphasis as Ash's. There were contests in , but Ash never showed the same level of interest or support for May as he did for Dawn, he was always so single-minded through the Hoenn and Battle Frontier arcs, always focused on the whole "gotta be the very best" mentality...when he started taking note of the world around him, and his companions, he became so much more interesting, and likeable.

His rivalry with Paul made his horribly self-righteous preaching about treating Pokemon with kindness etc actually stick; he actually sounded like he meant it, rather than just dully reciting some motto for the kiddies at home, such as it was. He became a character, rather than just a figurehead...and then he lost in the league, again. All that strategy, all that development he had undergone...it all vanished during that battle against Tobias. He just threw his Pokemon out; all strategy went out the window, and it went completely against the entire character he'd built up over Sinnoh. A couple of hundred episodes' worth of development, torn down in less than twenty minutes. Now, he's back to being the same immature little brat he was in the earlier series, and it's like the Sinnoh episodes never even happened. He's absolutely unrecognisable, and it's gotten to the point where I can't stand to watch the anime anymore.

It's a fairly standard pattern, Ash losing in the final rounds of the Pokemon League. But he had really developed as a character, and he could have easily gone all the way, even winning against Tobias, if he had just stayed true to his character and planned things out properly. The writers just won't let him win, even when he actually deserves to, and they constantly undo his character development just for the sake of the next series, and its extremely annoying. I'm getting sick of seeing Ash go through the same crisis that he went through in another region. It's like he's stuck in a time loop, and it just reset itself all the way back to the very first series for the Unova episodes: he's a clueless, irritating brat. Which makes no sense whatsoever, because he's been across four regions now (five if you count the Orange Islands, six if you count the Battle Frontier) and he should have developed by now. Maybe not into someone who wins all the time, but into something. Not just a mascot.

Ash is one of the most useless anime protagonists in existence. He's little more than a figurehead, and on those occasional episodes where he does show some signs of having a personality, he quickly wrecks it. He's been all over the place! Has he learned nothing? Are we EVER going to see him actually turn into a character that could be admired, rather than this useless figurehead who is all talk and nothing else?

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
    Years
    I really don't know what to add to this since Kirbychu & Kenshin5 but i'll just share some of my thoughts.

My view of Ash has wavered over the years because it's the same old repetitive stuff being recycled now and i'm a little fed up of seeing him at the beginning of each saga because he reverts back to this novice trainer with no knowledge with any of his experience, it just gets a bit tedious.

Also, the fact that he hasn't really grown up at all is just another bit of an annoying factor if you ask me. 14 years and there hasn't been any sort of development on his maturity and when he does mature a little bit, he reverts back with the introduction of a new region to explore, it's very much a reset button. Although, I understand the reason, it's so mundane for fans who have stuck it out this long only to have all the development and achievements erased because he went to another region. Just no.

I mean, they've only really seen their mistakes with D/P and started to speed up the process of the series because honestly, they wasted Ash's Sinnoh team. Turtwig's evolution was so rushed whilst Chimchar had a gradual pace to it and it was timed and carefully planned. It was meticulously focused on and I didn't like (something that Kenshin5 mentioned) but the fact that they seem to focus on one Pokemon each team (besides Pikachu) is annoying. Last series it was Chimchar, the one before that was Treecko and before that, Chikorita (idk?). I just think they need to focus on the team as a whole and really put Pikachu to one side unless there's a big match or have him have an episode now and again.

I think the writers need to broaden Ash's selected Pokemon. Get him to catch a fire type that ISN'T a starter like they did with Torkoal (whom I loved.) and just not have the starters for once. Perhaps the other main somehow collected all three or just two but Ash needs to stop being predictable. I'd love to see Ash have a team of the more unpopular Pokemon for once. Or a Pokemon that wasn't aesthetically made up.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    When I think of Ash, I sometimes think of that coma theory that has been going around the web for years... like when he got struck by lightening he was put in a coma or something.

Below is copypasta of the "coma theory" in a spoiler (tl;dr warning)

Spoiler:

Now, I know it's just a theory and not the real thing, but about Ash not growing up after 4 regions, I can kinda see the "truth" behind SOME of this, but I'm not a believer of this whole theory either. Just presenting a whole new insight to this (if you didn't know about it already)

Last edited:

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    the problem with ash is that over 14 years he as not aged or matured one bit. he goes in every season being the same inmature kid over and over for example this season he goes in and battles trip we all know ash is a way more expericed trainer than trip but some how he still loses. i mean my personal oppinion is that i think they need to age ash for the next season if they keep him.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    He was good until the end of johto. His character showed a lot of growth since the first season. But then around the time of Hoenn, its like the animator brought him back down to beginner level.... pretty irritating.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Ash, as the protagonist for a series that keeps re-inventing itself and attempting to introduce new players (kids that are mature enough to understand the concepts of the games), is all-in-all a decent character. He pretty much characterizes the kid we all once were when playing Pokemon: "I wanna beat all my friends and be the very best!"

Now, as a character who's been around for years, Ash is horrible. He has no development what-so-ever. But, that's for the sake of the kiddies, not us.

2dragonmager

Randomness Occurs
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2012
    yeah ash should be like 15 now.He hasnt had any major changes since season 1 which is pretty sad... =
    But in the next pic u willl see why pikachu has improved!!
    Your thoughts about Ash

Years
    yeah ash should be like 15 now.He hasnt had any major changes since season 1 which is pretty sad... =
    But in the next pic u willl see why pikachu has improved!!
    Your thoughts about Ash
    WOW! What was Pikachu's secret? Pikachu was a big fat mouse when i wasn't born yet.

Kanto: Kiddy, yet cool.
    Johto: Got a little matured but kinda the same.
    Hoenn: Puberty hits, he's an epic doodle kid.
    Sinnoh: Was like OH NO OHNOES. There were a lots'a scenes he was crying. UNCOOL MAN, UNCOOL.
    Unova?; ....uh....YOU LITTLE WEAK [Translation Not Available] AND LOST PUBERTY THEN GOT PWNED BY A LVL 5 SNIVY.

Yeah, i hope he can get his Hoenn-ish strength back.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    aint ash like 20 lol. pikachu is like what, 10, whats that in mouse years? xD

they need brock back in the unova anime, i miss his eyes, or lines, whatever the animators call them.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    He now catches many Pokemon I dislike, and I hate how he somehow manages to find all the starters.

That sounds like a bit of jealousy if you ask me ;)

anyways after looking at Kirbychu's Pro's and con's list, Ash's common sense really sucks but as a trainer, he's pretty okay now due to the fact that he is capturing more Pokemon in the Unova region.

:t354:TG

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    That sounds like a bit of jealousy if you ask me ;)

I don't really agree with you on that. Him and only him getting all the starters was definetely unnecessary. He could have just stuck with one starter and have other people take the other ones, like how they did it with the Hoenn starters. May got Torchic, Ash got Treecko and Brock got Mudkip. Maybe Brock and Mudkip didn't receive that much attention, but at least Torchic and Treecko did.

I think I mentioned it a few times but I believe I was pissed about Ash's reset this time. It was particularly this one because in Sinnoh, he actually had character development compared to the previous seasons. He stopped being an idiot and learned how to developed strategies and use it well, and with that he finally defeated Paul, who had curbstomped him or tied with him every single time they battled. (Not counting the Staraptor business, mind you, that was a different kind of battle.)

And then after that, his development was basically thrown away. It's like the writers didn't even care about the development that they themselves gave him. They wanted to go for a speedy end to D/P so that they can introduce Black/White on time, and what did they do? Introduce a character who had legendary Pokemon for no reasons whatsoever and make Ash look like a fool by curbstomping him.

That's very horrible writing if you ask me. They could have at least left a little of that maturity he developed after these 14 years! But no, they had to reduce him into an idiot who can't even catch a Pokemon.

tl;dr - Ash, you're not even treated as a character anymore. GTFO the series already.

Back