• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Thoughts on new Pre-Evolutions/New Evolutions of older Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    ^There's always the cost-benefit decision of "do I want to evolve it for better stats?...Or keep it looking lovely?"

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    ^I'm having a hard time between Lickitung and Lickily...I should love it unconditionally...but Lickily is just bleh.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Pre-evos...creep me out, to be honest. I didn't like them or any of their designs (except for Tyrogue, which I was kind of neutral about) when they were first introduced in G/S/C and my feelings on the subject have only been influenced for the worse by the most recent baby boom. What I dislike most about them, though, is that they have nothing new to bring to the game whatsoever; they're just wimpified editions of their grown forms, almost always with near-identical designs, and just generally reek of poor planning and lack of ideas. I mean, there aren't even any new moves of note to be gained for all your bother. >.<

As for the new evolutions...I have to say that it depends. Some were sorely needed to lift otherwise obscure pokemon into the spotlight, (Roserade, Probopass, Yanmega and Tangrowth, anyone?) but others were just pointless buffing of ones that had already found their niche (Rhyperior, Porygon-Z and Magnezone in particular stick out for me here <.<); a few modifications to traits and/or movepool could easily have substituted them. Rather than making the buff even buffer with evos and giving the wimpy something even wimpier to boost their egos with the pre-evos, I would have liked to see some love for those overshadowed species that would really have needed that little extra edge to stand out (Castform, Corsola, Kecleon, Pinsir, Sableye, and Farfetch'd, anyone? There are lots more where those came from. Chimecho would have far preferred an evo to a pre-evo too. XP).

So...overall, I don't mind existing species gaining new evos, but I would like to see a bit more thought put into what pokemon get those evolutions, as well as some more effort to make the evolutions not just 'the same with better stats and/or trait' but an actual change in what they can accomplish. Pre-evos, on the other hand, I could easily live without.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Pre-evos are horribly unessecary in my opinion. Riolu is okay, but the rest are just...in the way. My Budew evolved at level 33 on Pearl. I got the puppy at level 4 and it never fainted. I personally think that most pre-evos are just a waste of time, especially the friendship ones.

As for new evos, there are some good ones such as Leafeon, Glaceon, Roserade, Weavile, Mismagius, Honchkrow, Togekiss(I've come to love this thing. <33), Porygon-Z, Magezone, and Gallade. But, there are others where you can say "What the heck were they thinking?" and those would have to be:

Mamoswine: Holy moose. Piloswine is short and furry and cute, and it evolves into this giganto fat hog with insane tusks and eye shadow. What the heck?

Yanmega: While you may say this is great for competitive battling, and I'm sure it is, it ain't really that appealing in my opinion. It's pretty...ugly. Yanma becomes this nasty...ugh. It looks like a locust.

Lickilicki: O_O The name's wrong, it looks freaky, it's makes a funny noise and why evolve one of the most forgotten Pokemon of all time? Why waste your time, Nintendo?

And I'd love to go on, but I might've just run out.

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    Pre-evos are horribly unessecary in my opinion. Riolu is okay, but the rest are just...in the way. My Budew evolved at level 33 on Pearl. I got the puppy at level 4 and it never fainted. I personally think that most pre-evos are just a waste of time, especially the friendship ones.

You're right, there. pre-evolution Pokemon just don't look right in the whole game, in my opinion; at least when they come after their evolved forms, which is the case for pretty much all of them. Generation II pre-evos weren't so bad, but then they made the most pointless pre-evo in history at the dawn of Generation III; Wynaut. I ask you; why does something as nasty (as in Pointless Pokemon Alert) as Wobbuffet need a "baby" Pokemon...? o_O

As for advancing evolutions of past Pokemon; I'm none too bothered about them. Though there are some I just wonder why they were created. I'll go through a list of those I can be bothered to comment on:

Mamoswine: They could have done better with its evolution. (I, for one, didn't even know it was an evolution of Piloswine, when I first saw it) Its true that Pokemon change their appearance when they evolve, but in the case of Mamoswine, that was a change that really should have been more subtle.

Electivire:I actually like Electivire. Its one of those evolutions I've grown to like, over the time that I've owned one. The only thing I'm not too keen about are those things on its... back? I've heard they're actually tails, (apparently, in the Anime, they glow when it uses Iron Tail) but they don't really look like it...

Magmortar: Probably one of the lesser Pokemon that I like; its actually closer to dislike, though. I don't really like its design.

Yanmega: This one isn't so bad, but it does look strange, to have been an evolution of Yanma; but from looking, I did actually assume this to be a Yanma evolution, unlike the Mamoswine incident.

Glaceon & Leafeon: Without a doubt, probably two of the visually best evolutions, of a past Pokemon. Though that's coming from an Eeveelution fan. XD Eevee is probably one of the only Pokemon exempt from the rule of evolution, in the fact that there will always be evolutions of Eevee, (should they continue in Generations) until all of the types contain an -eon. Personally, I feel that this stands true to the Normal type, as well, since I've strong hopes that they'll bring out a Normal type Eeveelution, one day.

Rhypherior: Probably the one that looks the strangest. I'm not really a fan of this one, for how it looks. They kind of did a number on Rhydon, when it evolved, in their minds.

Porygon-Z: With its name, I actually think they'll start doing branch evolutions named "Porygon-X" and "Porygon-Y". but on with the Pokemon at hand, Porygon-Z is another of those I like. It looks a little strange, but that's to be expected from a virtual Pokemon, right?

Lickilicky: I really don't like Lickilicky... ._. It looks like some sort of gang boss, or something obscure, like that. Personally, I don't think Lickitung needed an evolution, if Lickilicky was the best they could come up with.

Magnezone: It looks like a flying saucer, is all I can say about it. Its a pretty drastic evolution; as with Mamoswine, but its still recognisable with the Pokemon it relates to. I'm none too fussed about it; even if people think its one of the best from D/P/P.

Probopass: Probopass is the strangest; it has to be. Visually it looks really weird, but it can't be mistaken for much of anything else, other than a Nosepass evolution. Personally, I don't think it was needed, regardless of what people say about Nosepass's stats. All I have to say to them is look at some of the evolutions; they didn't go so well for the Pokemon they evolved from, did they? *kind of looks towards Sunflora* On top of that, not every Pokemon evolves.

I think I'll leave it at that, for now. I don't really have anything else to say on the matter, other than pre-evolutions are probably the worst thing for them to keep repeatedly doing, and that advancing evolutions are always going to be up in the air. Not everyone is forced to like what others do, and likewise with dislikes.

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
    I think I sadly just disagree with all of you. I think Mamoswine, Magnezone, Rhyperior, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Magmortar, etc. are all way way cooler than their previous forms.

And if you don't like it, don't evolve them. But geez I think people are just too resistant to change or something.

You would think that I'm one of these kinds of people just becuz I find most evos/pre evos unecessary. Well I will admit that I absolutely hate Lickilicky and Tangrowth, Rhyperior looks cool but is WAYYYY to spread out if you know what I mean, Magnezone looks like a magneton whos center head got pancaked by a steamroller. Yah so I really only complain about it's looks.

But I'll say that there are other factors that I'd bring up about whether a pokemon should have an evo or not, but it focuses on competitive battling and it seems as though none of you people understand that that is one of the primary factors of creating a new pokemon.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the new Pr/Evolutions? It's only natural that most Pokemon will have baby Pokemon, and what's so bad about weak obscure growing into monster powerhouses? Not a problem for me...

Glaceon_

Years
    Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with the new Pr/Evolutions? It's only natural that most Pokemon will have baby Pokemon, and what's so bad about weak obscure growing into monster powerhouses? Not a problem for me...

The way I think about it is that the slots used (or wasted, in Wynaut's case) for pre-evolutions are something they could have used to make more original Pokemon for that Generation; something that doesn't feed off of another Generation, such as what has happened in Generation III, and more so in Generation IV. Imitations are quite high in D/P, as well. Everyone knows that Pachirisu is really a Pikachu in Squirrel form. I half-expected seeing a Pachirisu evolution, but I was surprised that there wasn't. I'm contemplating if that is yet to come, as "Raichirisu".

Though like I said in my other post, there are those Pokemon (mainly the evolutions of, over the pre-evolutions of) that I really don't mind.

But I can respect the thoughts of others who like or dislike those I dislike or like. I'm all for peoples' opinions.

YOOM-TAH

Piplup Fanatic
    Years
    You're right, there. pre-evolution Pokemon just don't look right in the whole game, in my opinion; at least when they come after their evolved forms, which is the case for pretty much all of them. Generation II pre-evos weren't so bad, but then they made the most pointless pre-evo in history at the dawn of Generation III; Wynaut. I ask you; why does something as nasty (as in Pointless Pokemon Alert) as Wobbuffet need a "baby" Pokemon...? o_O

As for advancing evolutions of past Pokemon; I'm none too bothered about them. Though there are some I just wonder why they were created. I'll go through a list of those I can be bothered to comment on:

Mamoswine: They could have done better with its evolution. (I, for one, didn't even know it was an evolution of Piloswine, when I first saw it) Its true that Pokemon change their appearance when they evolve, but in the case of Mamoswine, that was a change that really should have been more subtle.

Electivire:I actually like Electivire. Its one of those evolutions I've grown to like, over the time that I've owned one. The only thing I'm not too keen about are those things on its... back? I've heard they're actually tails, (apparently, in the Anime, they glow when it uses Iron Tail) but they don't really look like it...

Magmortar: Probably one of the lesser Pokemon that I like; its actually closer to dislike, though. I don't really like its design.

Yanmega: This one isn't so bad, but it does look strange, to have been an evolution of Yanma; but from looking, I did actually assume this to be a Yanma evolution, unlike the Mamoswine incident.

Glaceon & Leafeon: Without a doubt, probably two of the visually best evolutions, of a past Pokemon. Though that's coming from an Eeveelution fan. XD Eevee is probably one of the only Pokemon exempt from the rule of evolution, in the fact that there will always be evolutions of Eevee, (should they continue in Generations) until all of the types contain an -eon. Personally, I feel that this stands true to the Normal type, as well, since I've strong hopes that they'll bring out a Normal type Eeveelution, one day.

Rhypherior: Probably the one that looks the strangest. I'm not really a fan of this one, for how it looks. They kind of did a number on Rhydon, when it evolved, in their minds.

Porygon-Z: With its name, I actually think they'll start doing branch evolutions named "Porygon-X" and "Porygon-Y". but on with the Pokemon at hand, Porygon-Z is another of those I like. It looks a little strange, but that's to be expected from a virtual Pokemon, right?

Lickilicky: I really don't like Lickilicky... ._. It looks like some sort of gang boss, or something obscure, like that. Personally, I don't think Lickitung needed an evolution, if Lickilicky was the best they could come up with.

Magnezone: It looks like a flying saucer, is all I can say about it. Its a pretty drastic evolution; as with Mamoswine, but its still recognisable with the Pokemon it relates to. I'm none too fussed about it; even if people think its one of the best from D/P/P.

Probopass: Probopass is the strangest; it has to be. Visually it looks really weird, but it can't be mistaken for much of anything else, other than a Nosepass evolution. Personally, I don't think it was needed, regardless of what people say about Nosepass's stats. All I have to say to them is look at some of the evolutions; they didn't go so well for the Pokemon they evolved from, did they? *kind of looks towards Sunflora* On top of that, not every Pokemon evolves.

I think I'll leave it at that, for now. I don't really have anything else to say on the matter, other than pre-evolutions are probably the worst thing for them to keep repeatedly doing, and that advancing evolutions are always going to be up in the air. Not everyone is forced to like what others do, and likewise with dislikes.

Why exactly is strangeness a bad thing? I think it would be boring and bland if they made the evolutions more similar looking to their predecessors, and if they made them less "out there" in design. I think every single one of those pokemon you named is a freakin awesome evolution.

JKLAZ

FireHeart and Kale are Awesome
    Years
    Not like there stats and anything... take bidoof for example. or purugly. The sprites are just... hideous.

and i like the new evs of older pokemon like evee because only people who have played the old games would feel that they are significant poke's.

Glaceon_

Years
    Why exactly is strangeness a bad thing? I think it would be boring and bland if they made the evolutions more similar looking to their predecessors, and if they made them less "out there" in design. I think every single one of those pokemon you named is a freakin awesome evolution.

There are two sides to the word, strange. There's the good kind of strange, and the bad kind. The bad kind would be, as you said, the "out there" design, in some cases. I'm not entirely saying that the evolutions should be similar-looking to those of its previous stages, but the evolution; at least in some cases, definitely needed to be a bit more subtle, in my opinion. If I made it sound like I felt they should all somewhat resemble something from their previous evolutions, then I apologise for that, since I know there are those that do resemble changes that aren't really far out there. To note some; Gliscor, Froslass, Roserade, and a number of others.
    *taps head* I sometimes ramble, as well, so that probably rubbed off in that post, as well. ^^;;

Also, I mentioned Porygon-Z to have a strange design, but I didn't mean it as a bad thing, because I quite like the Porygon line.

I'll respect your opinion of you believing that those Pokemon I named are awesome evolutions. But please note that I didn't just list those that I felt seemed a little OTT in design and other such features. The Eevee evolutions and Electivire being a couple of examples towards that.

Back