• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Top Ten Manga

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    What are your top ten manga?

Here are mine in no particular order:

• Absolute Boyfriend
    Shy high school student Riko Izawa aches for a boyfriend but guys just won't look her way. Then one day she signs up for a three-day trial of a mysterious "lover figurine," and the next thing she knows, a cute naked guy is delivered to her doorstep--and he wants to be her boyfriend! Has Riko died and gone to heaven? The cute naked guy turns out to be smart, super nice, stylish and a gourmet chef. Plus, he looks like a million bucks…. Trouble is, that's about what he's going to cost Riko because she didn't return him in time!

• Kare Kano
    Straight As, athlete and overall "Ms. Popularity," Yukino, is the perfect student. Or at least that's how she appears to the outside world. But when the curtains are drawn, a lazy young egomaniac lurks who will do anything and everything to be the top student in her school. Yukino finds her resolve put to the test as after years as the Idol of her class a threat emerges in the MORE perfect Soiichiro. A good-natured, studious and athletic boy he is her equal in every way but one – that behind the act is a genuine heart driven to succeed. Yukino is desperate to regain her status anyway she can, but through embarrassing flub-ups at every turn, Soiichiro remains untouched even as they find respect for one another, and maybe, after all the dust has cleared, something more.

• Love Attack
    Chiemi Yusa's high-school record is far from perfect. She's already been suspended twice for fighting, and she's not even half-way through her first year! In danger of getting expelled for starting yet another brawl, her teacher approaches her with an unexpected offer: get her classmate Akifumi Deranged Devil Hirata, the nastiest fighter in the whole school, to clean up his act, and her record will officially be cleared. Reluctantly she accepts, and immediately goes on the attack. But as she's waiting for him to retaliate, she discovers that he has more in store for her than just a fight! From the creator of Girl Got Game and Heaven!! comes a rollicking brawl of a good time as the roughest guy and girl in school get themselves into trouble--and find themselves in love.

• Kare First Love
    The age-old dilemma of choosing between your friend and the one you love is the lesson for the day for these bubbly high schoolers. 16-year-old Karin Karino finds herself torn between keeping the friendship of her classmate Yuka and entertaining the advances of a boy named Kiriya. Plain-Jane Karin experiences the gut-tingling roller coaster ride of her first love and first kiss as fate pairs her up with Kiriya, who also happens to be Yuka's object of affection.

Through a series of chance meetings, Kiriya discovers the exquisite beauty lurking behind Karin's thick glasses and coy demeanor, and asks her to be his girlfriend. But living happily ever after in high school isn't on the curriculum, a Karin soon fins herself the center of Kiriya's attention, as well as the bulls eye in embittered pal Yuka's dartboard of hate.

• SA (Special A)
    Her whole life, Hikari Hanazono has been consumed with the desire to win against her school rival, Kei Takishima--at anything. He always comes out on top no matter what he does, and Hikari is determined to do whatever it takes to beat this guy...somehow!

At age 6 Hikari lost to Kei in an impromptu wrestling match. Now, at 15, Hikari joins Special A, a group of the top seven students at a private academy, for the opportunity to trounce the guy who made her suffer her first defeat.

• Tsubasa
    Sakura is the princess of Clow—and possessor of a mysterious, misunderstood power that promises to change the world. Syaoran is her childhood friend and leader of the archaeological dig that took his father's life. They reside in an alternate reality . . . where whatever you least expect can happen—and does. When Sakura ventures to the dig site to declare her love for Syaoran, a puzzling symbol is uncovered—which triggers a remarkable quest. Now Syaoran embarks upon a desperate journey through other worlds—all in the name of saving Sakura.

• Cardcaptor Sakura
    Once upon a magic night, an English sorcerer mixed Western wizardry with Eastern enchantments to create a magical deck of cards called the Clow Cards. These cards were hidden inside a dusty old book for decades, their powers virtually wasted. Then one fateful day, a young girl named Sakura Kinomoto discovered the book in her father's library. When she opened it, however, the Clow Cards were gone -- and so was life as she knew it. Now Sakura is the Cardcaptor; her mission: to collect all of the missing cards before disaster befalls the Earth. Joined by Kero-chan, the diminutive Guardian Beast, and Tomoyo, her best friend and self-proclaimed wardrobe consultant, Sakura must track down the cards one-by-one and do whatever it takes to stop them. It's not going to be easy, but Sakura's clearly the 10-year-old for the job.

• Hana Kimi
    Japanese-American track-and-field star Mizuki is transferring to a high school in Japan...but not just any high school! To be close to her idol, high jumper Izumi Sano, she's going to an all-guys' high school...and disguising herself as a boy! But as fate would have it, they're more than classmates...they're roommates! Now, Mizuki must keep her secret in the classroom, the locker room, and her own bedroom. And her classmates, and the weird school nurse, must react to the new transfer student who looks like a very pretty boy...

• Girl Got Game
    Kyo Aizawa is very excited about getting to attend Seisyu Academy, which is famous for its adorable girls' uniforms. Her spirits are crushed, however, when she opens the package containing her school uniform to find a boy's uniform.

Her father explains to her that, as Seisyu Academy is also famous for its boys' basketball program, he enrolled her as a boy so she can fulfill his own dream of becoming an NBA basketball star. To make matters worse, she has to stay in the boys' dorms, and her roommate is the same boy she came to hate at tryouts.

• Bitter Virgin
    Popular high school student Suwa Daisuke has no interest in dating newcomer Aikawa Hinako, a quiet loner. That's because she recoiled from his flirtatious touch, and he took it as a personal affront. Daisuke informs one of his buddies that he wouldn't date her, not knowing Hinako was listening. Daisuke's attitude changes after he accidentally hears her confession in an abandoned church; she's been sexually abused by her stepfather and has given up a child for adoption. His former annoyance turns to compassion and concern. Hinako is unaware that he knows her terrible secret. Believing him to have no romantic interest, she becomes more relaxed and comfortable in his company. Their relationship faces a lot of obstacles, including jealous classmates.

Last edited:

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Here are mine, I read a lot more manga but this list right here are my best so far. Not in any order.

1. Lovely Complex
    2. Kodocha
    3. Tsubasa
    4. Ranma 1/2
    5. Bleach
    6. Naruto
    7. Chobits
    8. Kare Kano
    9. Marmalade Boy
    10. Azumanga Daioh

That is a wonderful list you got Angela! Wow...nice! I hope to read some of your top ten. XD As time goes on when I read a lot more manga, my list will change.

Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    ... not really in order.

[10] Lovely Complex
    [09] Ranma ½
    [08] 7 of 7
    [07] Furuba
    [06] Tokyo Mew Mew
    [05] Lovely Complex
    [04] Neon Genesis Evangelion
    [03] Urusei Yatsura
    [02] Fullmetal Alchemist
    [01] InuYasha

demonmike

Missing-Nin
    Years
    Cant be bothered to do a complete write up, its taking enough thought as it is about which one I like most

Death Note
    Naruto (Yeah, it aint finished, but its awesome)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Mahoromatic
    Yotsuba
    Keroro Gunso
    Welcome to the NHK
    Cowboy Bebop (Quite a funny 3 volume manga)
    Phantom (Italixed for the reason its a Manhwa, Korean and read left to right rather than right to left)
    Bleach (First 20 or so volumes only, god its repetitive after that)

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    You don't have to do a write up - all I did was copy paste the plot summary.

Here are mine, I read a lot more manga but this list right here are my best so far. Not in any order.

1. Lovely Complex
    2. Kodocha
    3. Tsubasa
    4. Ranma 1/2
    5. Bleach
    6. Naruto
    7. Chobits
    8. Kare Kano
    9. Marmalade Boy
    10. Azumanga Daioh

That is a wonderful list you got Angela! Wow...nice! I hope to read some of your top ten. XD As time goes on when I read a lot more manga, my list will change.

I really need to check out Kodocha - too bad its out of print. =/

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2008
    Best manga I have ever read:

1) CAIN SAGA/GODCHILD!!!!!!! *ahem* sorry obsessed Kaori Yuki fan...
    2) Gravitation
    3) Mars
    4) Full Moon o Sagashite
    5) Ouran High School Host Club
    6) Fairy Cube(more Kaori Yuki!)
    7) Strawberry Panic
    8) Descendants of Darkness
    9) Galaxy Angel
    10) Rozen Maiden

Kumo-dono

ヨマワル
    Years
    -Love Hina
    -Marmalade Boy
    -CardCaptor Sakura
    -Kazan
    -Ouran High School Host Club
    -Ultra Maniac
    -.Hack//Legend of the Twilight
    -Alice 19th

Can't really think of anymore right now.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    My list has changed so much - especially after the last year in which I had an insane amount of time to read new manga. One thing that's never really changed, and I doubt ever will, is what my favorite manga is.

10. Bakuten Shoot Beyblade - A lot better than the anime, not the most groundbreaking thing out there, but it's a really fun read.

9. Dragonball / Z - It's mostly fights but it has a fun cast of characters. I loved watching Goku, especially as a child, learn about the world around him and then mature into a great hero. The rest of the characters were great as well, especially my favorites, Gohan and Goten. Unlike the anime, the fights in the manga were fast paced and not drawn out to taxing lengths.

8. Pokemon Special - Pokemon, with an actual plot. Yes, it's still shounen, but it has a plot that stands above most and really gives a new atmosphere of greatness to the monster genre.

7. Fullmetal Alchemist - I love seeing the different takes on the later parts of the story and FMA just has an amazing plot going on right now and Ling Yao is a really interesting character, wish he was in the anime.

6. Cyborg 009 - Incredibly dated art, but I love the story and think the plot involving racial differences that was made to make a point back in the 60s still works today.

5. Zodiac P.I. - Not the most well known manga out there and it's pretty short, only four volumes. That aside, it's still a really intriguing piece of work, a little predictable, yes, but nonetheless fun to read. This was the thing that really got me into the shoujo style of manga.

4. Card Captor Sakura - A shoujo with more of a shounen appeal and it has a great set of characters. It was one of the early "collect XXX item to save the world" manga/anime, but it did it really well. It had a great love story and the trails placed in front of Sakura, and the sacrifices she had to make were great.

3. Honey and Clover - Another amazing love story, with shoujo aesthetics, but the entire series felt much more mature. It was kiddy at times, but it knew what it wanted to do and had an amazingly bitter-sweet ending that I will always love.

2. Kamen Rider SPIRITS - It takes most of the characters from the shows in the 70s and 80s and gives them much more depth. It does a great job at showing what the struggles of a hero can be. Having your very humanity just yanked away with you and all of a sudden expected to protect a world that largely doesn't care for you and not always being able to be a hero, often giving into the very human emotions of hate and fear. The manga adds a tremendous amount of depth to a genre that a lot of people see as a generic and childish one.

1. Rurouni Kenshin - From start to finish, it's always been my favorite. Kenshin is an amiable guy with a horribly tragic past. What he wants and what he has to do to obtain it is pretty much always at conflict with the guilt he feels for the pain he caused during the war. It's a great series about a man trying to come to terms with his sins and learn that everyone can be given a second chance.

Other manga that I really enjoyed: BECK, BLEACH, HUNTER X HUNTER, Death Note, Ai Yori Aoshi, Kinikuman Ni Sei, Ranma 1/2, Sandland

Last edited:

Himawarii

LOOOONGITUDE
    Years
    1. InuYasha
    2. Kanon
    3. Rozen Maiden
    4. BLEACH
    5. Neon Genesis Evangelion
    6. Lucky ☆ Star
    7. AIR
    8. CLANNAD
    9. Ranma ½
    10. Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni

;D

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I've only got six right now, only because I haven't been reading very much manga lately. And they're in no particular order either.

[1] Yu-Gi-Oh! (the original, not Duelist)
    [2] Ranma 1/2
    [3] Slayers (Super-Explosive Demon Story)
    [4] Azumanga Daioh
    [5] Fushigi Yuugi
    [6] Inu Yasha (to a certain extent, I think it's overrated, but I still enjoy it sometime.)

Umi Ryuzaki

アデ
    Years
    my top ten:
    inuyasha
    tsubasa reservoir
    xxxholic
    lucky star
    neon genesis evangelion
    card captor sakura
    sailor moon
    magic knights rayearth
    dragon ball z
    pokemon special

PokemonRox

h a r u h i
    Years
    Lets see..

10. Lucky Star
    9. Fullmatal Alchemist
    8. Inuyasha
    7. Bleach
    6. Mamotte! Lollipop
    5. Kodocha
    4. Naruto
    3. One Piece
    2. Fruits Basket
    1. Tokyo Mew Mew

Sanctuary

Member #11,352
    Years
    I don't get to buy too much manga, but these are mainly the ones I read online and some are from scanlations sites:

- not in order of preference -

+ Ouran High School Host Club
    + School Rumble
    + Naruto
    + Mamotte! Lollipop
    + Absolute Boyfriend
    + Koko ni Iru Yo!
    + Mamacolle
    + Bleach
    + Mermaid Melody
    + Fruits Basket

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    10. Bakuten Shoot Beyblade - A lot better than the anime, not the most groundbreaking thing out there, but it's a really fun read.

Someone reads Beyblade! Yey. =D

Oh, well, my top 10.

1. D.N.Angel
    2. Alice 19th
    3. Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden
    4. Fullmetal Alchemist
    5. Beyblade
    6. Ayashi no Ceres
    7. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Manga
    8. Naruto

Uhm... that's all I can remember I have readup to now... If I remember more, I'll put it up here.

Last edited:

sillyjoke

Are You Kira?
    Years
    My Top Ten Favorite Mangas:
    1. Death Note
    2. Naruto
    3. Yotsuba
    4. Bleach
    5. One Piece
    6. Full Metal Alchemist
    7. Fruit Basket