• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Unpopular Opinions

LadyLurantis940

The Bug-type Impostor
    Years
    Share any unpopular opinions about any aspect of Pokémon here! And no, please refrain from talking about _____ x Ash ships unless it's actually unusual, like Lieutenant Surge x Ash. (XD) Feel free to debate, so long as you're being civil!

First, one of mine! I adore the Scorbunny line, especially Cinderace. It's such a cute design! I don't understand why some people hate it so much, especially when they had a neat concept, truckloads of personality, and a strong battler. I've never picked anyone but Scorbunny when playing Sword and Shield.

Also, I've had this weird NPC ship from ORAS for a while, Delinquent Destinee x Street Thug Blaire. They're both in a beachside hut, both toughies, and Destinee has a Minun on her leather jacket while Blaire has a Plusle. SOULMATES.

Roaming Emboar

Unovian Enhtusiast
    Years
    Well, I'm not really a big fan of Gen 4 (Diamond, Pearl, Platinum). I felt like it was too slow and the characters weren't that memorable. I'm not a big fan of Gen 6, however Fairy type is amazing ( Primarina😊).

Years
    I consider Kanto to be quite bland and I've never had much interest in playing a game that takes place in this particular region. I think the Kanto's layout is especially horrific, with all the major cities being clustered together, alongside the fact that there seems to be little contrast between locations.

I really love all of the gen 7 starters and I think they're collectively some of the best designed starters to date, and yes, I LOVE Incineroar! Though Primarina is my favourite. I've never understood the hate that Brionne receives either, I think it's such an adorable Pokémon!

I think Inteleon and Rillaboom are the worst designed starters by a landslide. Raboot, however, has a splendid design, and is much more appealing to the eye than Cinderace.

Black/White are average titles and are some of my least favourite main series games (though Black and White 2 are some of the best!)

Samurott and Serperior are criminally underrated, and gen 5 Pokémon all have excellent designs.

The soundtrack in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum is ✨ immaculate ✨

I LOVE all of the cutscenes in Sun/Moon, they are perhaps my favourite part of those particular titles!

Ultra beasts shouldn't have existed!

Minigames such as contests/pokeathlon are the best part of any Pokémon game!

Last edited:

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
    I think Eevee line are catdogs (except Espeons), i think Flareons and Glaceons are useful. And i like Incineroar more than Litten and Torracat. I like Persian. Why? Because of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3khL6_J4mLY I think Pichu and Raichu are more adorable than pikachu

Last edited:
    Years
    Rock and Ground don't need to be two different types. Game Freak should've just combined them or something.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    I really love all of the gen 7 starters and I think they're collectively some of the best designed starters to date, and yes, I LOVE Incineroar! Though Primarina is my favourite. I've never understood the hate that Brionne receives either, I think it's such an adorable Pokémon!
    Oooh finally someone who loves Incineroar's design! Alolan starters really have good designs. Also, have to agree with you about Intelleon.

My unpopular opinion: Pokémon should go back to 2D. It was charming, and considering that they're on the Switch anyway, they can do something like Octopath Traveler.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've yet to find a single unpopular opinion in this thread. :P

Let me show you how to make yourself unpopular with your opinions:

1. Gen 1 is truly a masterpiece for what they offer in terms of resources. They're the real original open world Pokemon experience and nothing afterward was ever capable of recapturing that including the remakes. People complaining about the bad movesets of Pokemon fail to recognize that this is very much intended as it puts you into the position of making them stronger. They're equal in effectiveness, equally bad. But as you use TMs you make them better, turn them into something special. But you only have limited uses of TMs so you have to make a decision. HMs are more lenient and actually viable as moves. But the resource scarcety is actually not too bad because the games are fairly short. So being locked into a single party isn't all too bad due to the inherent replay value that comes with this brevity. The games aren't even too difficult and you can beat them with a full party without grinding a single level as simply balancing your party and doing a bunch of exploring will put you to about level 45 which is enough to beat the league quite comfortably.

2. People who redirect the bad design argument towards Voltorb have clearly not understood the intricate design of it. It looks simple, but it is actually quite effective for what it is trying to accomplish. It looks like a ball, a Poke Ball, or rather: an item ball. You know the things that can be found everywhere in the Poke World that contain random items that make you think "I wonder what's in there. Maybe I should pick it up!".
    Here's the catch: Voltorbs design is heavily inspired by a monster from DnD. It's called a Mimic and its main trait is that it disguises itself as a treasure chest waiting for adventurers to foolishly walk into their trap and get eaten in the process. Voltorb is very much a Mimic, but instead of eating you it just blows up in your face. If anything GF has undersold its value in the games by limiting its utility to only few areas. Who here ever thinks when encountering an item in the game "Is this an item or is it gonna blow up in my face?"? Probably nobody.

3. I first wanted to complain about gen 2s postgame but I think there's an even bigger underlying problem: people's impressions that you have to match your opponents level. Gen 2 does this really interesting thing: it actively tries to discourage you from grinding by giving you a lot of weak random encounters which drags out the grind a lot. This is meant to encourage other strategies like investing into a balanced party and taking advantage of typings etc. Yes, in that regard gen 2 might be one of the hardest generations but on the other side: X-Items still exist and are meant to be used.

4. Modern Pokemon designs are very boring. Mind you: not the design idea, what I mean is the execution of the design. How many more generations do we need that oversimplify the design by focusing primarily on less details and more on "how can we incorporate enough round shapes so it looks cute and sells well".

KantoBound

Professor Arthur Pine
    Years
    I've heard people talk about how the Gen VIII starters having "too much personality" (e.g. all Inteleons are confident snipers), but I really like the designs. Considering you can only get one starter, it's my opinion that the Basic form is the creature, but the "personality" behind the 1st and 2nd stages is less about the species and more about how your partner grows with you and as a team you discover more about each other and yourself.

pkmin3033

It's difficult to have an unpopular opinion in this fandom really - everything is liked to some degree or another.

- Gen V's "story" is absolutely nothing to praise. It's Gen III's story all over again.
    - Aesthetically speaking, there is not a single fighting-type Pokemon that isn't disgustingly bad.
    - Pokemon based off of inanimate objects are more creative and interesting than those that are based off of real-life creatures.
    - The Mystery Dungeon games are better than the main series titles from Gen IV onwards. Even Gates to Infinity is better than anything post-Platinum.
    - The Kalos anime was pretty rubbish.
    - Gen VI is not easier than any other Gen from a design standpoint, and the removal of the tedious reduced EXP mechanic is actually what makes it BETTER than Gen V.

Years
    i think pokemon games are alright, actually. while there's certainly much to criticise, it's definitely not gloom and doom. yet. i dunno, i play the games as a destressor and i don't overthink the mechanics of pokemon games because i feel like that's slightly missing the point of them.

Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    The overworld sprite for gen 5.............so tall, small hands , big head . make me wanna throw up (i don't like it)

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Reforming an obnoxious character isn't cute, impactful, or needed. Let evil / annoying characters stay that way.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hatred for Gen 7 is undeserved. It reminds me Black and White. They were clearly passionate with trying something different in these games, but they were met with ridicule. I feel many years down the line the opinion for these games will change, as the general opinion did with gen 5.

Related to Gen 7, The "Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon" titles were unique and the criticism in calling them the same as the original Sun/Moon was unwarranted. I loved the take on how halfway through the game the story takes an alternative path. If these games are bashed for being too similar, then Emerald and Crystal deserve it too. I'll give Platinum a pass as they made some great changes such as the increase in game speed.

I'd actually go as far to say Gen 7 was equal in quality to the more beloved generations such as 3, 4, and 5. It gets ragged on for having too many cut-scenes but I loved the fact that it went for a different angle. Ultra Sun and Moon were some of the most challenging games with the Totem Pokemon incorporating real strategies. The variety of Wild Pokemon were fantastic, and it was lovely watching the characters grow up through the story. It wasn't a great story, but it was a step in the right direction and I would take this again over another formulaic, bare game such as Sword/Shield any time.

Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2022
    Gen 6 is perfect in almost every respect (other than the post-game and perhaps the difficulty level).

Blue is BY FAR the best rival. It's not even close.

Pokémon following you is nice but pretty useless.

The Delta Episode in OR/AS is the most epic moment in Pokémon history.

I don't find spin-offs very engaging (not saying they're all bad games, just that I personally didn't find any of them as addictive as the main series games)

Years
    I want pokemon to go back to gen 4/5 graphics don't rate the newer graphics as alot of pokemon look crap now compared to there older sprites

I prefer the the pokemon that are based on real creatures and plain that tend to be classed as boring as they are more realistic and the pokemon based on objects are crap looking

I like really like the gen 5 anime

I think the manga has a better story than the anime and even tho it's similar to the games it's executed better in the manga

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    1. Johto is the worst region
    2. First generations designs are boring with a few exceptions
    3. Sunflora and Girafarig are cute and underrated tho
    4. Cyndaquil, Totodile and Chikorita are the most boring set of starters, from stage 1 to stage 3
    5. Gen 6 anime is overrated
    6. Alola's trials were actually okay
    7. UBs are valid
    8. Lillie was more annoying than Hau
    9. Sinnoh soundtrack isn't that good
    10. Most male protags are boring and look very generic
    11. Toucannon deserves more love
    12. Cinderace is ugly
    13. Greedent too, but everyone already knows my thoughts about that aberration
    14. Intelion is actually ok
    15. SM story was actually okay, and Lusamine was a good villain.
    16. Blue is an overated rival
    17. Friendly rivals aren't even bad lmao
    18. Emboar is actually a neat design and the best Unova starter final form

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    1 Kanto is the blandest and most boring region of them all. Yea, Unova was linear, but at least you went through many different environments.
    2 I love Vanilluxe
    3 I think Alola is among the best regions
    4 Pokemon contests are fun
    5 The original dub theme song is overrated, both as a Pokemon opening and as an anime (in general) opening
    6 Battle Frontiers are nowhere near as unfair as it's often portrayed
    7 Serena is the blandest anime heroine.

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
    Years
    Chimchar is a Charmander clone
    Mewtwo is the worse legendary
    I actually like the designs in gen 5
    pokemon super mystery dungeon is My favorite game of all time
    froakie isn't even in top tier

and much more Just stuff i don't remember rn tho

Back