• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You're offended? So what.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Meh. I know I'm gonna take some heat for this, but I feel that a racist or homophobic joke is OK if the jokers aren't actually prejudice.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Meh. I know I'm gonna take some heat for this, but I feel that a racist or homophobic joke is OK if the jokers aren't actually prejudice.
    Around friends or a group of people who know you're joking, I can see that okay. If you're out in public where people who don't even know you can easily hear what you say, then I personally feel like that's an inappropriate time to make a racist or homophobic joke. For myself, however, I don't even waste my time with such jokes, because even if I meant it or not, I'd feel like I'm being disrespectful and acting immature when I could be doing something more worthwhile of my time.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • How far should we go to avoid offending others? What comes first? Our right to an opinion and to voice it or being 'polite' and 'tolerant'?[/FONT]

Shutting up and being nice is not a restriction of one's civil liberties. It's just being polite.

How far should we go? Just don't insult people. It's not hard, just whine to your friends like everyone else does.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2023
    If you're a stranger, and it's just a "hello," or "how's your day" kind of conversation with small talk, I'll be polite. However, if they something that begins to agitate me, I'll tell them to "shut the hell up." (Yes, those are my usual choice of words.) If they being to bore me, I'll tell them to stop talking to me unless they think of something interesting to talk about ( I say that to everyone.).... I believe that everyone is offended too easily now-a-days...

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I don't waste my time trying to sound politically correct. If someone gets offended by that, then why should I waste my time dealing with them or tolerating them?

I don't see any point in sugarcoating the truth excessively. I speak the barest truth whenever possible, and paint a very thin glaze of sugar over it when needed...but I'm not going to pretend the truth is all beautiful buttercups, and not roses with their own thorns. Doing so is just detrimental in the long run, because if people know you give candy, they come running back for more...and yes that was a metaphor.

If I'm going to give 'candy', it's because there's nothing unpleasant to hide in the center of such. I'm not trying to feed you "caramel dipped veggies" or any hideous creation like that.

I value honesty above all else, if you can't be honest about how you feel...how can you be trusted or expected to be honest about anything else? There is a phrase from a song I like to think suits me..."You may not like where I'm going, but you sure know where I stand..."

At least when dealing with me, if you quest to know how I feel then I'll either say how I feel, say "I don't know" or say nothing at all...which means I may not feel it right to tell you and end up changing the subject. If I don't say how I feel, well then maybe it's not appropriate for you to ask, or appropriate for me to tell.

Back