• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

you're so far away

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Have you ever had to leave behind a good friend because you/they moved away? Did you keep contact or feel it was pointless?

Have you ever had to be apart from your family for a long period of time?

Do you find it hard to deal with such things, or is it easy?

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • None of my friends that are close to me moved away. :P But there was this one girl I went out with before, and I still text her on my cell... Lol.

And no I've been with my family always.

I don't find it hard though, 'cause it rarely happened.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Well I haven't moved away since I was 1 and none of my friends have moved. If it counts I moved schools for my intermediate school (Middle School). I tried to keep contact but they didn't reply back. Though I recently added them back on facebook but we don't talk to each other except for the Happy Birthdays and stuff

Does camp count? I was away in the South Island of NZ (I live in the North) for camp in Year 8 (Grade 7). A lot of the other girls in my class were suffering from homesickness, I did miss my parents a lot but I was fine with it. Again I went to camp in Year 10 (Grade 9) but it was a lot closer to home but still far away. Both of the camps lasted for a week.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Have you ever had to leave behind a good friend because you/they moved away? Did you keep contact or feel it was pointless?
    I've had to move away from friends multiple times. I kept in contact with a few, not all.

Nope.

I think I'd find it hard. :/

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Have you ever had to leave behind a good friend because you/they moved away? Did you keep contact or feel it was pointless?: I had to leave my old elementary school friends when I moved away from the US. I only kept in touch with 1 or 2 of them.

Have you ever had to be apart from your family for a long period of time?:
    Can't remember exactly.

Do you find it hard to deal with such things, or is it easy?: I find it rather easy to deal with because I'd rather do other things on my own.

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
  • Yeah, I remember I had this one friend who moved cross-country. I've not spoken to her since xD

No, I've never had to be away from my family longer than a week.

It depends on how close I am too the person.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • I've moved on from a lot of people in my life, in both terms of distance and in terms of relationship. It's hard for a little while but you get over it. As I said in another one of your threads just now, I don't find it hard to flexibly attach or detach from people.

I guess it's worst when a friend or family falls into such circumstances that you can never see them again, for example by dying. This is so much harder because you weren't at all ready; most of the time you can see the change coming, and you can prepare yourself for losing them but in that case it just came on completely wrong.

I've been apart from my family before for a while and it's a little bit hard but not that bad since I know I'll be seeing them again, etc. It's almost harder with friends since I've been reliant on friends all my life, even more so than my family at some points, but even then people come and go and it's a fact of life and you move on from it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I just got a phone call the other day from a friend that moved away when we were 11. It's great to hear from him every now and then.

We used to call each other every Friday after he'd moved away, and he came down to my house in the school holidays for a few nights each time. Then we sort of grew apart a little and the calls and visits stopped. Now we just catch up once in a while, because he lives a little closer again now.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • Have you ever had to leave behind a good friend because you/they moved away? Did you keep contact or feel it was pointless?
    Yes, my best friend in year 7 moved to Switzerland and we did keep contact :D We met up a few days ago. :3

Nope, but I want to. :P

Friends : Hardddd
    Family : piece of cake

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Have you ever had to leave behind a good friend because you/they moved away? Did you keep contact or feel it was pointless?
    Yeah, it was my old girlfriend, although we had already broken up before on good terms, we did become great friends, and we did have a lot in common. But she had to move last year because her dad got a job in another country. We have kept contact on facebook and MSN, but we don't talk as much as we used to, and only occasionally really.

Well yeah, on a few school trips we've been off for like sometimes a week, like two years ago me and some friends decided to go on the trip to paris (yes we went to disney land) and we were gone for a week. I did miss my family but I had a great time.

It's not that hard for me, although I do miss her (the friend that moved) it hasn't affected me in anyway and we do still talk a bit.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Plenty of times, I keep in contact with some, others I gave up.

All the time as a kid, I would stay over at family members house or friends.

If I'm never going to see the person again, it depends on how close they are. The closer, the harder it is.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Every single best friend I ever had moved away. I lost contact with most of them, and the ones I do have contact with, we don't actually communicate. It's rather unfortunate, because I do miss the times we used to spend together. I try to keep in contact with them, but things get in the way and it becomes hard when you don't have the internet to help you out with. I'd say the last time I had decent communication with one of my friends who moved away was either some time two years or three years ago. Since then, we don't really speak. It's so hard for me to come to terms with the fact that people change, and move on.

Years
  • STORY OF MY LIFE. I'm a military brat, so we moved around often. Every time I moved I'd lose my friends. It was harder back then due to the Internet not being as widespread and I wasn't allowed to use it. Once I started using it and got my own cellphone, though, I still didn't use it to keep in touch with people. >_< I just... I suck at keeping in touch with people. I want to but things slip my mind and the next thing I know it's been months and I fear they've stopped caring about me. They have to be living with me or in the same city otherwise I just don't talk with them. It's even like that with my parents...

I'm also been away from the extended family for a long, long time. Again, because we moved around so often due to the military, we could never live in Wisconsin or Nebraska (after my mom remarried and we moved away from there). We were living in the same state for a few years but still a few hours away so even then we didn't visit as much. I think both families are just used to my immediate family not attending anything besides funerals.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Most of my friends from school have moved away, but thanks to the magic and power of Facebook, I've been able to keep in touch with them to a certain degree.

As for spending time away from the family, I did that every year when I went to college. And those were the very best times I had, being free of my personal ball and chain :P

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Have you ever had to leave behind a good friend because you/they moved away?
    Yes

Did you keep contact or feel it was pointless?
    I felt that it was pointless because that is the part of life, you make friends and you lose friends

Yeah, it's called going away to college

Yes I have

:t354:TG

Years
  • I moved once when I was... in the 3rd grade, I think. I had some friends that I didn't keep in touch with, and at the time I was really angry about it, but I never tried to keep in touch with them either. I'm more the kind of person who thinks "Oh, well, I guess if they want to stay in touch with me that'd be okay" rather than "I need to make sure I keep in touch with them."

I'm quite good at adapting to my circumstances. It's easier sometimes to accept some circumstances than dwell on how they could be different and angsting over them.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I have never moved so I have not left any friends. I have only been away for a week at most.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I had a few good friends that I had lost contact with because I moved away to another school. I didn't feel like it was pointless then, but I do now.

Yes, I have been away from some of my cousins for about 4 years now, but for my nuclear family no.

Yes, I do.

Back