• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You're so wise/smart/intelligent/clever

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
  • How do you define and differentiate wisdom, intelligence, being smart, and being clever, among other similar terms?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Intelligence comes from education and learning.
    Cleverness comes from experiences and life.
    Wisdom comes from intelligence and cleverness combined.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Intelligence comes from education and learning.
    Cleverness comes from experiences and life.
    Wisdom comes from intelligence and cleverness combined.

Does that inevitably result in the wisest people being the eldest? I feel like even people of lesser experience could be just as "wise" as anyone else and that there's no particular formula for being wise, but that's just me.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Does that inevitably result in the wisest people being the eldest? I feel like even people of lesser experience could be just as "wise" as anyone else and that there's no particular formula for being wise, but that's just me.

The eldest people most often have the most experiences in life, while also being the most educated (not necessarily school subjects). When I seek advice, I tend to go to a parent or grandparent, rather than someone similar in age. That doesn't mean everyone that is older is wiser, but that, more often than not, we seek out the advice of those with more experiences and education when we need help.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Wise - Experience
    Clever - Makes good use of his/her knowledge
    Smart - Born that way
    Intelligent - Only has knowledge

At least that's how I define it.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I always associated 'wisdom' with a sense of calm and a come-what-may attitude toward life in general. Kind of like Dumbledore. He was almost always calm in the face of anything.

Cleverness I've always associated with wit and creation. If a guy creates something amazing like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, then that guy must be really clever. Also if somebody says something witty that makes me laugh, they must be clever too.

Intelligence is about being articulate and well-spoken. Book smarts aren't entirely necessary, though the knowledge that comes from books can certainly help.

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • Wisdom generally benefits Magic Defence, Intelligence is usually associated with Magic Attack, being smart is using elemental spells that are highly effective against your opponent, being clever is pretty much the same, really.

But in seriousness, I'd say it's pretty open to interpretation really. Personally I see "wisdom" as knowledge gained from experience, "intelligence" as your general capacity for figuring things out/learning things, being smart as more of the bookwork studying side of it, being shrewd as having social intelligence/good intuition, and being clever as a mix of the previous two?

idk, I'm surprisingly not that pedantic about this.

Years
  • The way I see it

Intelligence = A persons capacity to think at a higher level.

Wisdom = The appropriate use of intelligence. So if you are intelligent and use your intelligence to influence your choices you are wise. Typically those who have experienced more will be better able to use their intelligence effectively, but I don't think wisdom and experience are directly related.

Smart = Possessing a high intelligence.

Clever = I think clever is more about being to think on your feet and come up with effective and simple solutions to a problem quickly more than thinking at high levels. So in theory you could be clever but not overly intelligent.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2014
    intelligence - To analyse and dissect the components of every scenario from it's context
    cleverness - To define and take heed to the paths and fulfillment of your destiny
    smartness - To wit and to excel, though perhaps with slight arrogance.
    Wisdom - To rise from the darkness of human error. The peak of morality and prosperity.

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2014
    Intelligence I think can be broken into two: desire to learn and natural ability (like you actual IQ).
    Cleverness comes from the way you approach or assess a situation and if you are able to grasp an uncommon view on it.
    Smart is a very broad and general term that mashes it all together in a way that is very third person and perceptual because we as individual value different things and smart can cover creativity all the way to intuition.
    Wisdom is taking your experiences and using them in such a way that gives advantages to you moving forward because you are motivated to not make the same errors.

Years
  • The fact that some of these are direct synonyms means I will eliminate some. Smart and intelligent are the exactly same thing. Cleverness can also be eliminated. The only two distinguishable are intelligence and wisdom. If you wanted you could add knowledgeable.

Intelligent: Capacity to understand information, ideas and abstract concepts

Wisdom: Experienced and ability to apply past experience to new and varied situations/scenarios

Knowledge: Educated, with memorised information.

You can be all 3, a combination or none.

Looking at some of the comments from others you could also add creativity/innovative, which would be the ability to use and apply information in new ways.

Last edited:

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • Wise people are those who give life advice to teenagers who wanna learn karate & ♥♥♥♥ (Karate Kid style, y'know what I'm sayin'?), or like the coach guy on Rocky.

Too lazy for a serious answer, I might add something later.

Last edited:

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I think I'm pretty intelligent logically. I'm also creative. But I'm not so smart socially and I can't really tell where one might lead to the next. So yeah. Some people say that I act a lot older than my age, hmm

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Wisdom- Age/Experience
    Intelligence- Street smarts/natural know how
    Smart- book worm
    Clever- MacGyver

Back