• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Z moves questions...

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
Years
  • What I heard is that Z moves are meant to make weaker Pokémon more appealing, but how does that works? Is there a mechanic that causes Z moves to be stronger for weaker Pokémon or will only weaker Pokémon be able to use them? If none of this happens, then why use weaker Pokémon if stronger Pokémon will cause more damage with Z moves?
    I'm all for weaker Pokémon being better (my main reason for loving Mega Evolution) but how exactly does Z moves makes weaker Pokémon more appealing?
    If there's already a thread about this, I'm sorry, I did not see it.

Years
  • It's been confirmed Z-Moves can be used by any Pokemon, as long as you have a move of the same type as the Z-Crystal you're holding, you'll be able to use the type-based Z-Moves (e.g. Bloom Doom, Inferno Overdrive, Hydro Vortex, Gigavolt Havoc etc). Some Z-Moves can only be used by certain Pokemon, like Catastropika for Pikachu, Guardian of Alola for the Tapus, and so on.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • It really depends... a level 5 pokemon 1st stage pokemon using a z-move won't be as strong as a level 50 3rd stage pokemon. Stats do matter.

However the power of the moves themselves is enough to tip the scales on an even fight... As GF stated - They wanted you to be able to use your pokemon in any type of battle. So they gave every pokemon of each type (And some signatures) a powerful game changing move that could make any pokemon viable if you build them right.

Of course there will always be meta picks... but with the introduction of a plethora of new supports moves (Such as terrain moves, move negation, and protection) It'd be easier for your favorite Pokemon to go toe to toe with meta picks... without resorting to a disgusting amount of cheese tactics.

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
    Years
  • It really depends... a level 5 pokemon 1st stage pokemon using a z-move won't be as strong as a level 50 3rd stage pokemon. Stats do matter.

However the power of the moves themselves is enough to tip the scales on an even fight... As GF stated - They wanted you to be able to use your pokemon in any type of battle. So they gave every pokemon of each type (And some signatures) a powerful game changing move that could make any pokemon viable if you build them right.

Of course there will always be meta picks... but with the introduction of a plethora of new supports moves (Such as terrain moves, move negation, and protection) It'd be easier for your favorite Pokemon to go toe to toe with meta picks... without resorting to a disgusting amount of cheese tactics.
    I feel that this post best answer my questions... Thanks!
    EDITED IN:
    I totally didn't pick it because of the person having the best signature! <3 <3 <3

Years
  • Oh, and Z-Moves can only be used once per battle even if multiple team members hold Z-Crystals, similar to how if multiple Pokemon have Mega Stones only one can be used in the whole battle. This means competitive teams will have to limit to having one Pokemon as the Z-Move user, similar to how you're only allowed one Mega Evolution user.

Wow Pulverizing Pancake might be exclusive for Snorlax

That's because it is exclusive to Snorlax, requiring the Snorlium Z to be used.

Other Pokemon with exclusive Z-Moves include Eevee, Pikachu, Alolan Raichu, the Tapu family and as discovered in the latest leaks - Mew, Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina and Marshadow.

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    Oh, and Z-Moves can only be used once per battle even if multiple team members hold Z-Crystals, similar to how if multiple Pokemon have Mega Stones only one can be used in the whole battle. This means competitive teams will have to limit to having one Pokemon as the Z-Move user, similar to how you're only allowed one Mega Evolution user.

That's because it is exclusive to Snorlax, requiring the Snorlium Z to be used.

Other Pokemon with exclusive Z-Moves include Eevee, Pikachu, Alolan Raichu, the Tapu family and as discovered in the latest leaks - Mew, Decidueye, Incineroar, Primarina and Marshadow.

It will be a hard choice to evolve from Eevee!

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    You can turn Z-Moves into status if you use em on Status move. The effect is different depending on the move.
    Spoiler:

Back