• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zoom

Years
  • I'm sure if you are a student in college right now or communicating via social distancing at this point, you probably have heard of Zoom. It's been used from meetings with lots of people, to classes, to even a way for people to call up a helpdesk.

Have you used Zoom since the coronavirus pandemic began? What have you used it for? Had you ever heard of Zoom before this year?

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    I had never heard of it. I don't have to use it, and I'm quite happy I don't have to. I'm sure it's not that bad in the end, but I do have some personal issues with the application and platform.

I've been using Wire to initiate video/screen sharing meetings for my Linux distro team, and we've all enjoyed it for the most part.

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Have you used Zoom since the coronavirus pandemic began? What have you used it for?
    Yes. I give English classes and zoom was a good alternative for classes online. The only problem I had is that some classes ended before 40 minutes, but there was a way to continue the class despite this.

Had you ever heard of Zoom before this year?
    Yes, but I had thought nothing of it, since we have Whatsapp and Discord for that sort of thing. But once I tried it I liked it because to me it was simple enough to learn and it was also interactive.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    I thought I could get used to it, but honestly my attention span is that of 0.0001 seconds and it's easier to get distracted with online classes. Obviously that is not the platform's fault, which I don't see any issue with honestly, it was easy getting a hold of it but I had some issues with the mobile app at first

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I've heard about it, later I've watched a video from someone who kept explaining why you shouldn't use it and not too long ago I read somewhere that useraccounts of this app where being sold and whatnot. I'm not too eager to use it to say the least.

But I was forced to use Skype for work and that was only because I don't use Whatsapp.

Ultimately, they're all the same in that regard. Pick your poison.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I begin to heard about Zoom in about weeks ago, as a way to arrange some communication between several friends and colleagues in real life. The only minus for me was the 40-minute limit if the host didn't pay the premium version, otherwise it works nicely.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Have had to use it for school.

I feel incredibly awkward on it and I don't like it.

Years
  • we used it before for work. but since we heard about this, we stopped all of that. :')
    What have you guys been using in the meantime? o:

Personally, I much prefer Microsoft Teams to Zoom. However, I'm having to use Zoom for a call-in helpdesk at my job, despite already having Teams available. It's because we need a link for people to be able to connect up with us, in addition to the option to call in from a telephone.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've just been using Discord in the interim, as Zoom seems to have a lot of security issues that seem rather... Uncomforting (See here for how they used to install on MacOS, although it was fixed). It makes me wonder if they abused that what else they did.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2023
    What have you guys been using in the meantime? o:

Personally, I much prefer Microsoft Teams to Zoom. However, I'm having to use Zoom for a call-in helpdesk at my job, despite already having Teams available. It's because we need a link for people to be able to connect up with us, in addition to the option to call in from a telephone.

I use Discord for quite a lot of my online chatting. I also use it for a bit of screen sharing/voice calls. I've moved most of that over to Wire though (especially since the team that requires that is a Linux distro team, and I would rather keep things as FOSS as possible). I've been using Telegram to communicate with my wife and 2 other groups as well. For work, we've been using Microsoft Teams for the past year or so.

Honestly, nothing has really changed as of late for me personally.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Have never used Zoom until now but I've used it for a lot of university work. Classes are held on other platforms but in terms of meetings with other students, I do use it quite a bit because people seem to like it. The virtual backgrounds are fun too. Mostly stick to Messenger though when it comes to calling and keeping in touch with friends - was never much of a Discord user but that also works too!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I jump between ZOOM and Microsoft Teams for work and school...just wish ZOOM would fix their crap together and be more secure. >:(

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I have to use it for school, since everything is remote now. It's not bad but I just kind of have bad relationships with it because I have to use it for classes and such all the time. It is also annoying since I was abroad, and the class times have not changed- so all of my classes are at weird times since I am back home now.

Years
  • My company just bought premium, and now we have scheduled meetings for it. Now I will associate it with work and loathe it (just like what happened with Viber lol.).

Pavlov'd

Back