• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Zubat.....so.many.Zubat

pokehearts

I like trains.
Years
  • Whenever you walk into a cave, you are bound to encounter a Zubat or a Geodude or some other Pokemon that's too common. What do you think about it, Do you like the opportunity to capture Pokemon, do you stay to look for a super rare Pokemon, or do you just use repel to avoid all the hassle.

I just use Repel.

Last edited:

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Zubat may be a bit of an annoyance, but their being common in caves and other dark places mirrors many small species of bats in reality. Zubat and its evolutions are largely based on vampire bats, and the myths surrounding them. The three species of these blood-drinking (they don't suck, they create a gash in the victim's skin and lick the blood out) bats are common throughout their range, which extends from southern Mexico through much of South America. Regardless of species, a single cave can be home to thousands upon thousands of bats, which can be seeing flying out in swarms at dusk. If you were to venture into a cave, you'd be much more likely to see bats sleeping, or rocks lying around (Geodude) than you would a moon fairy.

The general trend with Pokemon is that those based on endangered animals and mythical creatures are more rare than those based on common animals. Of course, many of these less common Pokemon are worth the patience required to obtain them. Personally though, I tend to use Repels while in caves unless I'm looking to catch a certain Pokemon or I'm level grinding.

Munchlax11

Munch?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Feb 15, 2014
    [SIZE="a"]I usually save my money and don't buy repel, but I run away from all the Zubat and Geodude[/SIZE]

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I find there presence rather helpful for EV Training, also catching a male Geodude is something I consider a blessing in most POKeMON installations. I call him the Thunder Repellent.

But if I'm in a hurry, I try to avoid caves, because, all in all, they are rather frequent.

Years
  • I stay away from Repels generally. The allure of that random shiny encounter makes me suffer through all the caves. :P Of course nothing ever comes of it. I just like to think it will though haha.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ah usually if I'm wandering through a cave it's because I'm training a Pokémon. Or if I'm going through first time I'm gaining levels anyway. So I just knock them down for a bit of experience and I don't mind them much! I hardly ever end up using repels and when I do it's for surfing haha.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • In a final opinion, I believe money towards REPEL would be better spent for items like POKeBALLs, POTIONS or STAT BOOSTERS... I really see no necessity in them.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I really don't like traversing through caves since Pokemon always seem to pounce on you every two steps, so I usually blitz through them while spamming Repels. All the missed experience from knocking out those Zubat and Geodude is probably why I'm frequently underlevelled when I play through a game, haha.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
    Years
  • Mostly, i use repels, but much thought has been debated in my head whether to or not. They ARE a waste of money outside of caves and are completely useless if your pokemon aren't of the right level. BEING a shiny hunter and a somewhat successful one at that, i need to stop buying them - my first random encounter shiny was this year, Shroomish in Petalburg Woods. That tells me something, i have been spamming repels for way too long. My other RE Shiny is Deino, but i was hunting it. Other shiny's i have were MM'ed and SR'd.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Pokemon like Zubat and Geodude are annoying to me and whenever I see one, I just run from it unless I'm EV training.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Earlier on I just endured them because I wasn't aware of the effects of repel, so obviously I hated going through Mt. Moon and such, though nowadays I just use repel, unless there's some specific Pokémon I want to catch in the caves.

AxeyWaxyWoo

Awesome Sauce Trainer
    Years
  • lol, my first random shiny encounter was a Geodude. XD

Anyways, I hate using repel. I really don't know what I've got against it.
    I just battle, and if I really can't be bothered, run. :P

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Unless I'm in some sort of rush to get through an area or my Pokemon are running low on HP/PP, I'll usually bite the bullet and battle the wild Pokemon that get in my way. It's experience, at least. It's usually if I have to backtrack through an area later in the game and I'm 25 or so levels higher than the wild Pokemon that I'll use Repel to avoid them. However, in later parts of the game, I will welcome battles with the evolved ones (Golbat/Graveler) instead of their former forms simply because they would give me more experience for beating them.

Besides, if it wasn't Zubat and Geodude you encountered every three steps, it would be some other Pokemon.

Red99

World Champion
    Years
  • Depends on the point of the game. When I'm first starting to train my pokemon, caves are good things, because the pokemon are generally weak. But when I'm champion of the pokemon league, I don't even bother. I just use a max repel.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
    Years
  • I usually fight them, unless they're way under my level and their exp don't mean at all. I rarely use repel, so I run from battles. Sadly, even though I'm doing that, I haven't encounter a shiny yet :(

In my latest playthrough of Blue, they were great foes for my Butterfree as they don't stand a chance against it's Confusion.

Years
  • I don't fight Zubat, they don't give out much EXP points and they annoy me like hell... darn confusion and poison.

Geodude also annoy me, at least early on.

I usually use a Repel so I don't have to fight them. I usually just catch one for the Pokedex and that's it.

If I didn't have to encounter Zubat and Geodude every few steps, I'd actually enjoy the caves much better.

Speaking of which, I never found any Shiny Zubat yet although on two occasions (both in Gen IV games) I caught a Shiny Graveler.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    When moving to a new place, I generally pass through random encounter areas without a repel, and fight every encounter. If one takes what is potentially grind in their stride as a part of normal game progress, one won't be underpowered for boss-type fights and the route itself can become a challenge (fighting one's way to the top of Mt. Silver, finishing versus Red, especially). This is true in most any RPG.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    I don't bother fighting them because I am the Pokemon League Champion and I have much better Pokemon to fight.

In Gen I, Zubats were just like, THE ONLY THING YOU CAN ENCOUNTER (Joking, but it's only got 1 evolution then)! I never played it, but I know Crobat didn't exist then.

People probably catch more Zubats than they used to because of the Crobat. But really, they used the REALLY ANNOYING method so pretty much I don't know why I bother.

Back