• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Emerald: Pit of 100 Trials (1.3)

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024

Pokémon Emerald: Pit of 100 Trials (by Shiny Till Dawn)

Important Notes

This game was inspired by Manekimoney's original Pit of 100 Trials game. I used many of the same concepts for my Emerald spin-off, like item prices and general layout of the area before the Pit itself. I also got permission from them to make this spin-off:
    Spoiler:

All in all, if you play and enjoy this game, please consider checking out the original version for a challenge like this in the Kanto region!
    Update: If you want to play this game, only get the patch from this forum post, and not some other web site, as you could install malware, which you do not want.

Story

Welcome to the Hoenn region! But...everything looks different! And the trainers have much stronger Pokémon than before!
    That is right! You have entered the Hoenn Pit of 100 Trials. In other words, the region is the Pit. Your challenge is to conquer this Pit's 100 trials! Each trial is one battle against 1 (or 2, in some cases) trainers, and all of their Pokémon are Level 100. Most trainers have 2 Pokémon, but boss battles have more! All gym leaders have 6 Pokémon that specialize in their type. By the endgame, you will face the Elite Four, Champion, and 10 secret boss battles that will put your battling and endurance skills to the limit! The only way to heal during the Pit is via your healing items!

You are normally used to having a Pokémon Center right around the corner, as well as a Poké Mart that sells you all the items you need. But here, the challenge is making it through this pit without those luxuries in between battles! Additionally, you have to stick with one team of 6 Pokémon throughout the Pit; no switching out Pokémon in PC boxes between battles!

On the other hand, you are given unlimited Master Balls to catch just about any fully evolved Pokémon you want, aside from certain legendaries − those are exclusive to the postgame! Do not be afraid to use legendaries, as your opponents might have their own! You also have relatively quick methods of EV training! Beware, though, as money is tight! You only have 3,000 PokéYen, and that's it. You also get all the HMs and 1 of every TM, so teach your Pokémon moves wisely. However, there is a move tutor that teaches level up moves, some egg moves, and some move tutor moves, and you have infinite Heart Scales! Use the move tutor before teaching TMs.

Do you think you can conquer the Pit of 100 Trials? Only one way to find out! One more thing, if you white out, it's game over!

Start the game:
    • Pick up the Poké Ball on Route 101. You will have a starting Crobat, but you don't have to use it.
    • Everything you will need is in a bag in Oldale Town. Interact with it and you will receive Master Balls, Vitamins, Heart Scales, and other items.
    • Talk to the man with the microphone. He will give you all the TMs and HMs.
    • Oldale Town has a Pokémon Center, Department Store, Move Reminder, Move Deleter, Name Rater, and the area where you can catch Pokémon.
    • There are EV checkers and IV checkers in Oldale Town's Pokémon Center.

Extra Tips:
    • If you cannot find a particular dual−typed Pokémon, then check the areas related to that Pokémon's other type.
    • Aim for optimal natures and IVs. You can check your IVs at the Oldale town Pokémon Center.
    • Catch Espeon with the ability Synchronize. There's a 50% chance (if one of those is your 1st Pokémon in the party) for the wild Pokémon's nature to match yours.
    • Revives are the most important item in this game, so buy enough of those!
    • Leftovers are probably your best held item.
    • If you think you are not going to use a TM, or HM08 Skill Swap, you can sell it for 10 extra PokéYen.

Extra Challenges:
    • Set mode instead of Shift.
    • No items in battle. Items outside of battle are fine.
    • Don't use Legendaries.
    Those are some extra challenges you can utilize for this game, but if you're going in blind, you may not want to play with those rules.

Features

• Just like the original version, there is no Physical/Special split.
    • Infinite Master Balls, Heart Scales, Vitamins, and Stat−reducing berries.
    • Most Pokémon got points added to their base stats to make them better.
    • Learnsets are mostly updated to Generation 4 (with some Pokémon getting moves they would have learned in Generation 6 and 7).
    • Few Pokémon get moves that they would never learn in the vanilla games, like Sneasel and Murkrow getting Night Slash, and most ghost types getting Shadow Punch.
    • Edited some TMs AND HMs so they contain different moves.
    • New 4th and 5th Generation moves like X-Scissor, Stone Edge, Iron Head, Energy Ball, Air Slash, Scald and Rage Powder.
    • Revamped parts of the region so that there are Level 100 wild Pokémon.
    • All vitamins give 64 EVs.
    • Stat reducing berries take off 128 EVs of their respective stat.
    • EV Cap lowered to 252.
    • EV Checker and IV Checker (in Oldale's Pokémon Center).
    • Department store for held items, some berries, healing items, and more!
    • Pokémon names (and some other words) are no longer in all capital letters.
    • Early access to the Bicycles and the Running Shoes.
    • Healing items are cheap, but you will have only 3,000 PokéYen until you start the Pit challenge.
    • Removed most held items from wild Pokémon to prevent money farming.
    • Sleep Talk move tutor in Oldale Town.
    • There is an NPC that teaches Bug Buzz, but he can only be found very late in the game.
    • There is an NPC in the postgame that teaches Nasty Plot.
    • Changed the base power of some moves (and Rock Slide has 100% accuracy) like Knock Off, Crabhammer and Magical Leaf.
    • Removed Pay Day and Pickup from every fully evolved Pokémon.
    • Return is always at 102 base power.
    • There is a postgame area after beating the secret final boss where you can fight some bonus trainers and catch Pokémon you could not catch in the early game.
    • The postgame has an additional Pit that has 20 trials, but every legendary is allowed!
    • Shortened the item usage animation.
    • Removed the Low HP beeping sound.
    • A secret Easter egg!
    • One added abililty: Regeneration (works like it does in the official games)

Screenshots

Spoiler:

Credits

Creators of these Tools:
    • Universal Pokémon Randomizer
    • Gen 3 Tools (by Kurapika)
    • Gen 3 Hacking Suite (by DoesntKnowHowToPlay and others)
    • Advance Map (by Lu-Ho)
    • XSE (by HackMew)
    • HexManiacAdvance (by haven1433)
    • Nightmare (for Steven's Pokémon in one of the battles) (by Agastya)
    • THUMB Compiler/Assembler (by HackMew)
    • Pret's pokéemerald Decomp.
    Other people who helped me with ASM routines/ROM hacking advice:
    • Lunos
    • haven1433
    • BluRose's ASM routine for an EV/IV checker
    • DoesntKnowHowToPlay for his ASM routine that adds EVs to some post−game trainers
    • DizzyEgg on their tutorial on how to create animations for moves in Emerald
    • Artemis64 for the offset that allows me to change the EV cap to 252
    • Avara's scripting tutorial
    • HackMew for the fix to the Pomeg Glitch
    • kleenexfeu for the offset that disables Mew's/Deoxys' obedience checks
    • Manekimoney for creating the original Pit of 100 Trials, providing resources on offsets about vitamins, and spotting a few bugs
    • VGmusic for one of the custom music tracks
    • PotatoBoss for one of their MIDIs from Pokémon Unbound

Bugs and Other Notes

Spoiler:

Check the patch at the bottom to download. Let me know if it does not work. Use Lunar IPS to patch a clean Emerald game.

View online documentation for move changes here.

Attachments

• Pokémon Emerald Pit of 100 Trials (1.3).ips
      463.4 KB · Views: 126
    Last edited:

Manekimoney

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2024
    EV training is quite tedious, so hopefully you can find a way to implement a way for vitamins to give above 100 EVs. The thought of reseting to train a new team does not seem appealing right now.

Otherwise, it seems to be actually tougher than my version in some areas (especially Tate & Liza). I have yet to beat it, but it's quite fun (well, I'll see if the lategame changes my mind lol).

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    EV training is quite tedious, so hopefully you can find a way to implement a way for vitamins to give above 100 EVs. The thought of reseting to train a new team does not seem appealing right now.

Otherwise, it seems to be actually tougher than my version in some areas (especially Tate & Liza). I have yet to beat it, but it's quite fun (well, I'll see if the lategame changes my mind lol).

I did the math, and you'd have to battle the EV training NPCs 5 times to max out EVs in 1 stat after using the vitamin. I agree that it takes time to do this to a full party.
    I looked at your old thread about circumventing the 100 EV cap from using vitamins, but I could not find the byte sequences that you showed in FireRed in Hex Maniac Advance; I was only able to change the EVs gained from the vitamins themselves. I can search again in Emerald. I also tried looking at pokéemerald but I could not find a file that has anything along the lines of "if HP EV > 100 then cap HP EV at 100 end".

Manekimoney

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2024
    I did the math, and you'd have to battle the EV training NPCs 5 times to max out EVs in 1 stat after using the vitamin. I agree that it takes time to do this to a full party.
    I looked at your old thread about circumventing the 100 EV cap from using vitamins, but I could not find the byte sequences that you showed in FireRed in Hex Maniac Advance; I was only able to change the EVs gained from the vitamins themselves. I can search again in Emerald. I also tried looking at pokéemerald but I could not find a file that has anything along the lines of "if HP EV > 100 then cap HP EV at 100 end".

In the emerald's "pokemon.c" file, there is a reference to "EV_ITEM_RAISE_LIMIT". If you go to the "pokeemerald/include/constants/pokemon.h" file, you should be able to find "#define EV_ITEM_RAISE_LIMIT 100", which might be what you have to change.
    Editing it to 252 might do the trick.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    That means I have to build from pokéemerald in order to generate the changed offsets. BUT I really am against the idea of installing 5 programs in order to do this. But I will do what I must to enable the fastest EV training possible.

Edit: I went through all of that and I found all the offsets I needed to change so that vitamins like protein no longer abide by the 100 EV cap. Now vitamins give 64 EVs per stat just like the original version, so you need 4 EVs to max a stat. I'll keep the EV training NPCS and the wild Pokémon at level 98 because I don't want to go through all those changes.

Last edited:

Manekimoney

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2024
    When I make it to the
    Spoiler:
    looking area, there is no way to exit the room and it's impossible to trigger a battle of any kind. Checking the area with Advance Map reveals that the exit is placed in an unreachable location (and seemingly on a tile that cannot be used as a warp)

Also, since I'm bug reporting, you can use the Acro Bike in the poison catching area to skip all the way to Flannery

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    When I make it to the
    Spoiler:
    looking area, there is no way to exit the room and it's impossible to trigger a battle of any kind. Checking the area with Advance Map reveals that the exit is placed in an unreachable location (and seemingly on a tile that cannot be used as a warp)

Also, since I'm bug reporting, you can use the Acro Bike in the poison catching area to skip all the way to Flannery

Shoot, I didn't think about the Acro bike exploit. For the other area, are you talking about the areas where you catch Psychic type Pokémon? If yes, you should be able to encounter wild Pokémon by running in the center. If you're talking about Slateport city, I can check...

Manekimoney

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2024
    Shoot, I didn't think about the Acro bike exploit. For the other area, are you talking about the areas where you catch Psychic type Pokémon? If yes, you should be able to encounter wild Pokémon by running in the center. If you're talking about Slateport city, I can check...

No, I'm talking about the near end of the pit, when you are supposed to fight
    Spoiler:
    I made it to that point in my last run, but was unable to proceed

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Spoiler:

Edit: I fixed it in the new patch.

Last edited:

Manekimoney

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2024
    Well, I've done it. Spoiler-y content ahead.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Well, I've done it. Spoiler-y content ahead.
    Spoiler:

Nice job! I remember doing the same when I playtested it. As for graphics, I'm not very experienced in editing map graphics. I mean, I can edit some of the tilesets so certain tiles look consistent with the others, but I'm not very artistic, and I have to beware of possible side effects. Move animations are hardly documented in Emerald, and I have trouble comprehending how to implement them. Thanks for playing!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    New Update: beta 1.1

With new updates, you have to patch a new copy of Pokémon Emerald, and rename files so that your current save and the newer verson of the game have matching names.

I added a postgame area, which does not have much, at the moment, but you can fight 2 bonus boss battles in this house! However, once you beat the final boss in the Pit, the rules cease to be enforced, so you can heal infinitely in this new area.
    Pokémon Emerald: Pit of 100 Trials (1.3)

You can encounter some mythical Pokémon, too. (Mew will obey.)

Other than that, I mainly fixed some other issues involving audio. Petalburg Woods has the original audio, this time, as it sounds better than it did, before.
    Lastly, I changed a lot of messages in the game's data to remove lots of excessive capital letters, and to update some of the messages to later generation standards. See some examples below:

Also, the message "A critical hit!" is colored red.

Lastly, before starting the Pit challenge, the woman on Route 102 now asks you if you are ready, in the event you did not know who she was.

Have fun with this new update∼

Attachments

• Pokémon Pit of 100 Trials - Hoenn Edition (beta 1.1).ips
      109.7 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Version 1.3 is out!

Version 1.2 expanded the postgame, where you can catch more Pokémon than in the Sealed Chamber. Here are some screenshots:

Also, there are screenshots for some of the postgame boss battles:

I also added a secret battle to the main game. And I'm not going to tell you how to access the secret battle.

I added some more later−generation moves like Mirror Shot, Ice Shard and Snarl to some of the Pokémon to make them more viable. And I fixed some TM compatibility issues.

A new addition that will be pretty helpful throughout your playthroughs is an altered Pokédex. Press [Start] and scroll to "DOCS" and you can view the base stats of caught Pokémon.

One of the Pokémon exclusive to the postgame gets a new ability called Regeneration! (It's Regenerator from the newer Pokémon games.)

Other miscellaneous features:
    − Added the "Room of Rhythm" where you can hear some of the custom music tracks I added to the game. One was remixed from one of PotatoBoss's compositions from the Unbound soundtrack, and another one was a remix of a song from Pokémon Colosseum (VGmusic). You have access to it in the postgame.
    − More decapitalization.
    − Added pinch berries (like the Mago berry) to the Poké Mart in Oldale Town.
    − Changed move animations for moves like Iron Head and Poison Fang.
    − Removed the beeping noise when a Pokémon is at low HP.
    − Like Radical Red and Unbound, the item usage animation is shortened.
    − Buffed Stockpile and Charge so that they have their Gen 4+ effects.

Download the patch today! (Patch a clean Emerald ROM.)

Attachments

• Pokémon Emerald Pit of 100 Trials (1.3).ips
      463.4 KB · Views: 9
    Last edited:
    Back