• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ARE YOU ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED?

.emerald

☆ + ♥
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    ARE YOU ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED THAT PEOPLE KNOW THAT YOU LIKE POKEMON, OR THEY SAY ITS BABYISH?
    FOR ME IM NOT, EVERYBODY KNOWS I LIKE POKEMON IN SCHOOL(I STARTED IT ANYWAY)I LOVE POKEMON WHO CARES WHAT THEY SAY & IM PROUD OF IT!!!!!!^_^"!

Rizapop

pika-chaaaa~
    Years
  • You shouldn't post in all caps. People who think you're screaming at us. I don't wanna be sceamed at. 3:

But yeah, I'm proud to love this wonderful fandom. They actually call me pika-girl at school, but who cares, right? ^^

DaiLinn

Furry for Lucario
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2010
    lol I'll be 100% honest... I am a little embarrassed sometimes. But then I realize that Pokemon is one of my more normal interests... and I feel a little better. ;P

My mom makes fun of me though, kinda.

.emerald

☆ + ♥
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2014
    sorry for posting in caps, i just wanted to express my feelings^_^"!

A Loc BK

4425 1371 5707
    Years
  • Im really into pokemon as most of you are xD
    I dont watch the show/movies, dont have all the games (use to when i was younger) i dont play them or really talk about them xD

My friends know too, I use to live in what you would call ghetto... i hate it when people say "Thats ghetto" threw a brick at someone for callin my family ghetto, i didnt know him dont know if he was joking but as i said i dont know him, haha thats gettin off topic....
    I just play pokemon as something to do when im bored
    but
    tv > pokemon > halo 3 > outside > money > football xD

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, I was I did get fearful of People calling me a baby just because I watched it, so I didn't try to rewatch it (well, that and May came onto the show and I didn't like her portrayal, but that happened AFTER the incident at the hospital.)

Unlike most people, I learned of this thing, not from personal experience, but from a TV show.

In the PBS show "Arthur", Arthur often picks on D.W. for watching something known as "Mary Moo Cow" quite a bit of the time by calling her a baby (well, he more called it a baby show, but that's the exact same thing as calling HER or anyone whose seen it a baby). He has done this for several episodes that had Mary Moo Cow in it, even after he apparantly learned his lesson.

He even called that "Hopalog the Frog" a "Baby Book" (and consequently, called D.W. a baby as well), and he HIMSELF read that as his first book!

Plus, when they got to the whole "Love Ducks" episode, Arthur had watched Love Ducks (Ironically after dissing D.W. about Mary Moo Cow as being a Baby Show), he grew fearful about it, and when his secret let out, everyone laughed at him!

Thanks to those traumatic memories, I grew fearful of watching Pokemon due to that (Ironically, when I went into a fetal position due to fear in a childrens hospital when Pokemon came on, it also truly started my hatred for a certain female in AG). I may no longer fear watching it now, but still. Now, I also plan to write Marc Brown a personal letter mentioning my distaste for what he had Arthur do (I think he started it, but then again, PBS might have as well, since Arthur became an Independent tv show after he quit writing the books). It's actually developed quite a bit, but I'll wait on sending him the letter until i edit it.

so in that sense, no, I was never "embarrassed" about Pokemon, I was fearful of people calling me a baby for watching it, yes.

XaRhS

i really like pokemon and i'm not enbarrassed at all.although,if someone in my school heared that i would be ''dead''(gossips everywhere).it's a life style i think.

Cid

Years
  • Yeah, I feel embarassed sometimes, but only around people I have just met or I have no relation to... My friends already know that I love Pokemon and they're not doing anything to me to make me embarassed... Though sometimes my parents embarass me...

XaRhS

parents.....who undestands them?my sister claims that pokemon is not for me because i'm old for that kind of stuff and bla bla bla........

Moonlit Umbreon

Elusive Within The Shadows
    Years
  • Pokemon's awesome, everyone here would agree, but if I go walking around telling everyone I like pokemon, their going to think I'm psychodic. I only talk about it with people who share the same interest in it as me, I'm not ashamed or embarassed to talk about it to others, but real cautious, of what they might think, might say, and how they'd react. I'd be the laughing stock to everyone in my year, in other words. D: D:

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
    Years
  • Yeah, I feel embarassed sometimes, but only around people I have just met or I have no relation to... My friends already know that I love Pokemon and they're not doing anything to me to make me embarassed... Though sometimes my parents embarass me...

same here especally at school no one knows i play it only neighbrohood friedns that i grew up with that dosent have as much intrest in it as i do but they still play it..

Years
  • When I was younger I used to be. After the fad ended in 2000 everyone was going on about how uncool Pokemon was and stuff. People got bullied for it so I stopped saying I liked it even though the Pokemon TCG was awesome as were the games. I wasn't much of an Anime fan after the Orange Isle ep's but still I was a fan of the movies at least. But when I got to year 12/13 in school and I stared working at the cinema, I found LOADS of people who liked it that were my age and older and I felt more confident in myself. No practically everyone knows I like Pokemon ^_^ It's awesome =D

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • When I was in middle and high school, yeah, I was afraid because everyone I knew was so melodramatic. If you didn't like the right bands and the right TV shows, you were screwed.

Then, I graduated and entered college, where I was surrounded by people who liked things like Captain Planet, Final Fantasy, and ReBoot, and suddenly, my fandom interests just seemed ordinary. My friends even applauded me the times I cosplayed as Jessie and schoolgirl James. Literally, they don't care.

So, I don't care anymore. I feel comfortable with my fandom, sharing my fanfiction, and even showing my friends episodes now and then. To them, it's a nostalgia trip. To me, it's just being able to feel safe with what I like.

Years
  • I'm 21 and I'm not embarassed at all about my addiction. Sure some of my friends make fun of me for it, but at the same time I have converted a few of my friends already. One of my friends went out and got diamond after I told him how much fun I was having with it. I also got one of my sorority sisters to buy pearl since I have diamond so now we can both be nerds together :)

I don't think you should ever be embarassed about doing something you love. If people don't like you because of your interests, then they probably aren't worth your time.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    Meh, I don't care what my friends think and besides, they also like pokemon as much as I do.
    We used to play TCG In school and I mean all of us, me and my friends are all pokemon nerds in school. So I don't even care about what other people think about it. It dosen't matter about what other people think about it! And besides, it's very addictive!

XaRhS

yeah that's true.......when you start it you can't stop.especially when you play a new game

Apathetic_Yen

very original
    Years
  • na i m usually not bothered with it. No one really says anything about it except hat im a little too obsessed

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    Sadly, people like to pass judgement on things that they don't know anything about. Chances are, if you ask anyone for the reason behind their criticisms against people liking this or that, then they will likely come up with some poorly thought out excuse such as the infamous "it's for little kiddies" one.
    The reality is that people are sheep and follow the common opinion because they are too blind to think for themselves.

If you do something and find that you genuinally do enjoy doing it, so long as it is nothing terrible, then you should keep doing it regardless of what others think.

So no, i'm not embarrased about liking Pokémon, even though I only play the games. If I ever got the chance then i'm sure i'd watch the Anime too :P

MetalMEB

O_______O
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 18, 2012
    Eee... I'm sometimes embaressed about it, I remember even lying about my age when I was like, 12 lol, because I liked Pokemon. Which of course now I think that's kinda dumb though...

But yeah, I feel kinda uncomfortable when I go to the toy section at certain stores to find Pokemon toys I like, so sometimes I leave the section when somebody comes over xD

I know I shouldn't be ashamed of it, but yeah... Its something I'm trying to break off... (I mean the shame, not the Pogeymanz of course.)

So yeah...

Back