• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

ARE YOU ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Turn caps lock off for ****'s sake...

Anyway, nah, my friends are a diverse and open-minded bunch.

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    Oh, dude, I remember that one episode of Arthur with the love ducks. That show was like a freaking acid trip. o_o

I'm not embarrassed at all. I'll openly admit it if it comes up or if anyone sees me playing it. Sure, some people may call you a loser for it, but a lot more people play it than you'd think. I brought my DS to school one day and came home with a few new friend codes. :]

solopy567

Giga....Drill....BREAKER! !!!!
    Years
    I actually quit liking Pokemon for a long while, but i got back into it...I keep it a total secret, every time i play on my GBA and hear one of my parents walk up the stairs, i hide it under the blanket.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Eh...the subject I never wanted to see >.> You're about to see why...

I'm quite the Spongebob fan, and at school I am bashed like I never thought possible for it. They say I'm immature because of a TV show I watch (though it is immature to judge somebody's maturity level based on what entertains them, yes?) Either way, it's pretty much made me hate the youth of America, and I openly bash them...now where this becomes relevant to the topic...

Pokemon is my one secret, though I hate to admit it. I am normally very secure with myself and I don't care what others think, but the possibility of being canned for SB AND pokemon isn't a very happy thought. I usually voice my opinions with a VERY strong voice (just ask those in S&M), but this one topic silences me. I'm not proud of it, but I'm not the proud pokemon fans others might be...at least with everybody around me, including my own family.

I have actually made up some pretty solid excuses about the presence of pokemon games in my house and life...again, I'm not proud of it, but eh, it's true. I actually wrote my old username (Anti-Pop Culture Warrior 13) on my binder, and I actually feared being discovered here, so I shortened my name and colored my binder black. My excuses are actually well thought out...I apparently "run a business" on Ebay buying and selling pokemon games. The excuse...always works...

I actually think I should be proud of pokemon and being a part of this forum. Most of the people here are awesome people, and pokemon isn't even close to the joke people make it out to be (though the show does give it a "kiddish" image). I think it's my own fear of taking any more of a battered from my pathetic classmates, and even my "friends." Maybe that's why I like PC so much...and why my attempt to leave failed so horribly. I don't care about my social status or any of that overrated crap...it's more of my sensitivity and my unwillingness to be annoyed further by the future of The USA...and the fact that my classmates are the future of this country worries me...A LOT.

But yeah...you get it. I wish I could say I was as strong as some of you guys about this...but...I'm just not. Of all the issues I could be quiet about...this is the last I would have chosen...but I can't get myself to come clean with everybody.

So yeah...

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
    Years
    Ashamed? NEVAR!
    Embarrassed? Hell yeah.

At school I get:
    "POKEMON IS GAY!"
    "POKEMON IS STUPID!"
    "POKEMON IS FOR RETARDS!"
    "HEY! WE SHOT {Pikachuu/Lucario/Ash} (Pikachuu is commonly used, Lucario isn't used as often {only time is when the other person knows I'm a huge fan of Lucario}, and I've only heard that Ash one ONCE... in conjuction with Pikachuu o_O)"
    "POKEMON GOT SHOT LAST NIGHT!" (That last one makes absoluetly NO sense. {Pun intended})

the only time I've "shrugged it off" was when the one guy said the one thing I mentioned... I said to him "Whatever. I could careless about that runt." (Though seriously, I kinda meant it in a way.)

Heck, some of my older friends have spilled into the bad crowd and have turned against me... T_T

I think I'm the only one that gets picked on about it... I haven't seen other Pokefans get picked on...

I wonder... If I grabbed all the *good* Pokefans together and we stuck together as much as possible, would the jerks stop?

Ársa

k.
    Years
    Eh...the subject I never wanted to see >.> You're about to see why...

I'm quite the Spongebob fan, and at school I am bashed like I never thought possible for it. They say I'm immature because of a TV show I watch (though it is immature to judge somebody's maturity level based on what entertains them, yes?) Either way, it's pretty much made me hate the youth of America, and I openly bash them...now where this becomes relevant to the topic...

Pokemon is my one secret, though I hate to admit it. I am normally very secure with myself and I don't care what others think, but the possibility of being canned for SB AND pokemon isn't a very happy thought. I usually voice my opinions with a VERY strong voice (just ask those in S&M), but this one topic silences me. I'm not proud of it, but I'm not the proud pokemon fans others might be...at least with everybody around me, including my own family.

I have actually made up some pretty solid excuses about the presence of pokemon games in my house and life...again, I'm not proud of it, but eh, it's true. I actually wrote my old username (Anti-Pop Culture Warrior 13) on my binder, and I actually feared being discovered here, so I shortened my name and colored my binder black. My excuses are actually well thought out...I apparently "run a business" on Ebay buying and selling pokemon games. The excuse...always works...

I actually think I should be proud of pokemon and being a part of this forum. Most of the people here are awesome people, and pokemon isn't even close to the joke people make it out to be (though the show does give it a "kiddish" image). I think it's my own fear of taking any more of a battered from my pathetic classmates, and even my "friends." Maybe that's why I like PC so much...and why my attempt to leave failed so horribly. I don't care about my social status or any of that overrated crap...it's more of my sensitivity and my unwillingness to be annoyed further by the future of The USA...and the fact that my classmates are the future of this country worries me...A LOT.

But yeah...you get it. I wish I could say I was as strong as some of you guys about this...but...I'm just not. Of all the issues I could be quiet about...this is the last I would have chosen...but I can't get myself to come clean with everybody.

So yeah...

you...are...soooooo...right.

I agree 100% with everything you say. PC is my safe-haven away from the world. Never would I say that I play pokemon in public, for fear of social rejection. Believe it or not, I am in the 'in' crowd at school, and I intend to keep it that way. I especially like your view on the anime Anti. I think it is absolute crap, and I get shivers down my spine whenever I watch it and think 'how in the hell could I actually like this?' But then I get my DS out, go through my boxes and then I say to myself 'because pokemon gives you the ability to test your mind and strategic processes.' The little monsters aren't what do it for me, it's the test to be the best and to beat the rest. I am constantly opening Notepad and typing in new teams then working on them over and over until I feel that I like them. If they lose at least once without hax, back to the drawing board...

I just love the strategy involved in the game, but unfortunately some people outside of it cannot see that. Everyone has something they are ashamed/embarassed about.

Thankyou Anti for speaking out, as I'm sure many of us are in the exact same boat as you.

~T_S

XaRhS

I agree 100% with everything you say. PC is my safe-haven away from the world. Never would I say that I play pokemon in public, for fear of social rejection. Believe it or not, I am in the 'in' crowd at school, and I intend to keep it that way. I especially like your view on the anime Anti. I think it is absolute crap, and I get shivers down my spine whenever I watch it and think 'how in the hell could I actually like this?' But then I get my DS out, go through my boxes and then I say to myself 'because pokemon gives you the ability to test your mind and strategic processes.' The little monsters aren't what do it for me, it's the test to be the best and to beat the rest. I am constantly opening Notepad and typing in new teams then working on them over and over until I feel that I like them. If they lose at least once without hax, back to the drawing board...

I just love the strategy involved in the game, but unfortunately some people outside of it cannot see that. Everyone has something they are ashamed/embarassed about.

Thankyou Anti for speaking out, as I'm sure many of us are in the exact same boat as you.

~T_S

well,i actually agree with both of you guys and i think we mustn't hide that we like pokemon.i don't say that we must play pokemon publicly but we can't hide from it anymore as we started our life with it.if someone talks to you and says ''hey how can you play pokemon anymore?'' you just answer in a polite way ''hey you know something?go to hell!''
    that's what i have to say and i finished

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years
    *sigh* I guess I'd be classed under ashamed/embarrassed. I don't make my liking of Pkmn publicly noticeable...though technically nor do i hide it. Online I usually am quite forth coming with it and will talk about it whenever I feel like doing so, but when it comes to IRL...its better for my own safety I don't. What with the town I live in having the kind of people interest in only getting high/drunk and partying, the kind of people that would make you an outcast (more then you already maybe) and a target just for picking on and such. I really dislike having to get into fights (Not saying I couldn't win them though) and its really not worth my time to deal local idiot is and there moronic statements

Tater Tot

I used to be popular here~
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Why all capital letters? XD

Anyway, I don't really care what people say anyway. I'm not ashamed, or embarssed at all. I just don't care. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Why keep it a secret? I dislike almost everyone in my class.

Say all they want. Someone made fun of me for playing Silver Version on the bus and then asked if they could watch. I told him no, because he was being an immature idiot for mocking me.

His response: HUH?

Point taken.

Decypher

Craig Marshall
    Years
    All my friends know I like Pokemon, they have an occasional laugh about it, but I know they're just kidding, so I'm not embarassed or ashamed.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    None of my friends know I'm an intense Pokemon fan (they know I buy the games but that's just about it) and I intend to keep it that way. Everybody has their secrets.

Snivi

..•.¸¸•´¯`•.¸. ஐ
    Years
    ARE YOU ASHAMED OR EMBARASSED THAT PEOPLE KNOW THAT YOU LIKE POKEMON, OR THEY SAY ITS BABYISH?
    FOR ME IM NOT, EVERYBODY KNOWS I LIKE POKEMON IN SCHOOL(I STARTED IT ANYWAY)I LOVE POKEMON WHO CARES WHAT THEY SAY & IM PROUD OF IT!!!!!!^_^"!
    Good for you! That is how I feel too! If you like it, why hide it? I think if you do hide things like liking Pokemon - then you just make friends with people when you are not truly being yourself so its best to just admit your likes. Who knows they may like it too! If someone makes fun of you, so what? Its their loss. Its stupid to end a friendship because you desagree with something someone likes.

I have a friend do this before. She was a hardcore Pokeshipper and when I decided I didn't like it anymore - she ended the friendship.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
    I too am a proud PokeFan. I've played Pokemon cards around school in random places. Heck, I even wore a PokeBall on my backpack for a while. I'm not ashamed of it at all. I just wish more people would get into it.

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    I'm kinda embarassed, as pokémon is so outdated and "weird" in my school. I try to keep it a secret, but when people found out, i was pretty embarassed.

Years
    Yeah, nobody except my mum knows, and that's because i give her the money to go and buy me the games and say they are for my cousin lofl.

Don't care that i keep it a secret. I'm only hiding a game that i'm interested in, i'm not not being myself. I always am myself and that's what some people thing i'm weird, crazy or great for i geuss.

Back