• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Disappointments with the 5th Gen Thus Far?

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
Years
Even though there are crazy new things they are introducing, there are some things I dislike.

I dislike that they kept the battle backgrounds bland. I was hoping for more than just a bunch of colors in a smudged line again. They have done that for many of the past games.

So far that is my only problem, but I am assuming all of you people out there dislike different things than me.

Tell me what you dislike, and why.

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
Years
My disappointment is that in all of the screenshots there was no pokemon walking around behind the trainer. What gives? I liked having my pokmeon with me in Heartgold and Soulsilver. \./

Redrup

The Gentleman
Years
My disappointment is that in all of the screenshots there was no pokemon walking around behind the trainer. What gives? I liked having my pokmeon with me in Heartgold and Soulsilver. \./

Yeah, I'd be quite surprised if they scrapped that concept, especially since it was added into HG/SS despite not featuring in the original G/S/C series.

It made me think that perhaps this was the approach they would be taking in all future versions of the game. Maybe they are planning to add the feature later on, as it's still early in the development stage yet.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
I have small disappointments over it. Not much. But those small do add up for being a bit big.
For example, I think Pokabu could be designed much better.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Unless it's just the screenshot's quality, the battle system looks cool, but then again it looks a bit pixely as well. I don't like the starters' sprites either; I like the bigger sprites of Gen IV, why are they shrinking 'em again? Could just be the screenshot and it's quantity though. :x

Other than that, I'm finding Black and White to be better than I thought it was going to be... so far.

Safetyfirst

Chloe Moretz Fan
Years
In the pictures that have come out about the pokemon center in the big skyscraper, I dont like that. I think it looks stupid, and I like the old alternative where its not in a city, and it actually has the feel of an adventure

loliwin

→ Level 69
Years
I knew Nica would complain

Disappointments so far? I'd just fix the gauge meter a little. :)

Other than that, B/W is looking FANTASTIC so far. :D

R3D

"TAKEN DOWN ON THE WORD GO!"
Years
How could you have disappointments with a game that's not even out yet, I don't even know..

Thunderpunch

Pokemon Master
Years
How could you have disappointments with a game that's not even out yet, I don't even know..

You're posting in a black and white forums, and you expect people not to have opinions on black and white?

I'm disappointed in the starters, the 3D-ness, and the fact that they seem to be doing the same old "new region, new pokemon" things. I think we have enough pokemon

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
Years
What's wrong with you people? :P Why are you being so negative about these games that - as R3D stated - are still half a year away? I for one can't wait for Black and White because it's something different, yet familiar at the same time.

Mind you, it looks like they kept the same battle animations (the actual attacks like Leaf Storm etc)

Guy

just a guy
Years
I'm disappointed in the starters, the 3D-ness, and the fact that they seem to be doing the same old "new region, new pokemon" things. I think we have enough pokemon
I don't get what you mean by them doing the same old "new region, new Pokémon" thing, but if they didn't then every new game they made would pretty much be a different alliteration from the original. So instead of getting something new, we really would be getting back something old, except changed around a bit. Having said that, I don't see that to be something to complain about considering it's to be expected.

None yet. Or at least, nothing I really cared about that much.
This is basically how I feel. I don't see anything to complain about as yet, and honestly I doubt I would have much to complain about by the finishing product either. :\

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
As Hiiro says, I really haven't found anything to complain about. It all seems pretty good right now.

In the pictures that have come out about the pokemon center in the big skyscraper, I dont like that. I think it looks stupid, and I like the old alternative where its not in a city, and it actually has the feel of an adventure

I disagree; exploring a gigantic city seems like an adventure to me....and there are other cities that have yet to be revealed.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 2, 2022
No complaints whatsoever. I liked having my pokemon behind me too, but if it's not in the game so-be-it. I see it as a small trade for huge ones: animated pkmn in battles, 3D!!, older protagonists, etc.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 21, 2011
The sprites for the main characters looked sucky. >.> They need to let you CUSTOMIZE your character for once. Also the graphics looked very crummy. I heard someone on a different forum say they reminded him of early PS2 3D games.

Years
3D.

Go back to 2D, plz.
I sort of agree. It's not something I'm disappointed in since I haven't really seen it in action, but I don't know why they went 3D other than that they could. I don't see what it brings to the games. The 2.5D we had in recent games is enough to give me the taste of 3D.

Rokusasu

Scientist Salarian
Years
The sprites for the main characters looked sucky. >.> They need to let you CUSTOMIZE your character for once. Also the graphics looked very crummy. I heard someone on a different forum say they reminded him of early PS2 3D games.

I agree with this... I love the new female character's design, but her sprite isn't so awesome. >: Customisation would be awesome- we saw our characters in HG/SS play around as a Rocket for a little while; surely they could give a few alternate outfits for the trainers at the start of the games?

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
Years
I, too, am annoyed at the 3D-ness. Pokémon was one of the few 2D games I enjoyed playing, and now it's been upgraded, and not necessarily improved.

Also, the protagonist sprites were dissapointingly generic.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 13, 2011

Totally agree with you. It will be ehart breaking (at least to me) if they take out a feature that actually let you bond with your lead Pokemon. It also personified the Pokemon too, to make it less like a fighter, and more like a friend.

This feature is so important, that if Black/White doesn't have it, it may make me not buy it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
I can only complain about the Pokémon following you feature being left out. I like that feature in HG/SS, it's too bad it's not in B/W as far as we know. Hopefully they might do something about that...

Back