• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What looks better shiny or non-shiny Pokemon?

What looks better Shiny or Non-Shiny?

• Shiny

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Non-Shiny

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Yes another ______ or _______ thread.
I was wandering if people preferred the look of shiny Pokemon over non-shiny Pokemon and what Pokemon they like their look shiny better and vice-versa. Give an example.

Some of mine:
Shiny > Non-Shiny
Beautifly
Spr_5b_267_m_s.png
>
Spr_5b_267_m.png

Beedrill
Spr_5b_015_s.png
>
Spr_5b_015.png

Ponyta
Spr_5b_077_s.png
>
Spr_5b_077.png

Non-Shiny > Shiny
Sneasel
Spr_5b_215_m.png
>
Spr_5b_215_m_s.png

Gorebyss
Spr_5b_368.png
>
Spr_5b_368_s.png

Sunflora
Spr_5b_192.png
>
Spr_5b_192_s.png

I like Non-Shinies better because their colouring is designed for that Pokemon.

Last edited:

aglaya

Duchess of Heracross
Years
It depends on the species. Some shiny pokémon are actually kinda ugly.

PS: The shiny Beedril is just so cute.

Garde

Fallen Angel
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2015
As Aglaya said it depends on the species.

I love shiny Milotic, Roserade, Gardevoir, Luxray, Ninetales, Absol and Flygon to name just a few (but I still love the original colors).

But some shinies, like Mewtwo, Mismagius, Crobat, Ursaring, Kyogre...they're just awful in my opinion.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Depends on the pokemon in my opinion.

Like with Ponyta, I am lovin the blue fire. But with Sneasal, it's just ugly in that color.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
Years
Really all depends on what species the Pokémon is but I come to the conclusion that non-shiny looks better for one reason, almost all Pokémon looks 'ok' or very good in it's original colors while sometimes the shiny can be somewhat ugly.

In majority non-shiny is usually better looking. In some case the shiny form of a Pokémon can be just as 'goodie' looking in general and sometimes cooler. Non-shiny are generally better looking to me. :3

Haberdasher

suffers from nostalgia
Years
It depends on the species, but usually I prefer non-shinies, simply because they tend to be betterthought out in terms of color scheme.
Shiny Rayquaza and Armaldo are much better than the originals in my book, though.

Ayselipera

I've never been a big fan of shinys. I find their other coloring to be really ugly most of the time. It usually just doesn't fit my image of the said Pokemon. For example I'm not a fan of shiny Beedrill at all. Lime green on a hornet/wasp doesn't look right to me.

I can only think of one Pokemon that I like as a shiny and that's Azumarill. I love the bright yellow more then anything, but unfortunately I've never been able to find a shiny one. :( Oh, and I guess shiny Bellsprout is okay too, but I love everything Bellsprout so I don't know if that counts. :D

Spr_5b_184_s.png
Spr_5b_069_s.png

Years
  • Seen Mar 1, 2012
Depends for me as well. Ive looked at a lot of Pokemon on bulbapedia and some are just ugly. They tend to use lighter colors like light blues, pinks, and purples and its just gross.

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
Years
Some shinies are terribly ugly, and I don't know what the designers were thinking. But there are several very nice shinies like:
Milotic-Pt-Male-shiny.png

129MagikarpMale.png

sdpoke9.png

It depends on the species. Haunter is a disappointment for me, because it looks so much like the original. I wanted to see something shocking, but I got blue mouth instead.
shiny_Haunter.png

Hoppip

Hoppip used Solarbeam!
Years
  • Seen Mar 25, 2011
It really depends but I generally like Non-Shinies better such as Hoppip or Sudowoodo.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
It really depends on the Pokemon. For instance, I like shiny Gardevoir and Charizard, but I don't like shiny Sneasel and Excadrill.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Pretty much depends on the species. Some shinies look good, but others look kind of ugly.

I'm not too fond of green Dragonites or grey Gengars, for example.

Years
As many people will agree, it depends on the shiny.
There are awesome looking shiny Pokemon, then there are some shocking ones!

However, I am always shiny hunting on the games, so I will go with shiny Pokemon.​

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
I'm going to be a parrot and echo exactly what everyone has said. It depends on the species, and while some Pokemon can look amazing when they're shiny, some look horrible. For example, I ahve a shiny Meowth and I think it looks dreadful. I much prefer the original colouring.
Spr_5b_052.png
is much better than
Spr_5b_052_s.png

Meanwhile, I prefer shiny Caterpie to regular Caterpie. :)
Spr_5b_010_s.png
Spr_5b_010.png

Andrut

Collecting dust since 1898
Years
Well, of course it just depends on the shiny form, but most of the shinies look better for me because look different.
I like some shinies like Vanilluxe, Minccino and Solosis, but i dislike some like Heracross, Caterpie, Poochyena or Chikorita.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
Years
It more so depends on the pokemon and the person's taste in that pokemon.Myself i hate shiny pokemon except for a few.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
Years
Non-shinies. Mainly because I have failed to catch multiple shinies, only caught 2 in my lifetime. The only shiny that I really adore would have to be Charizard. Having a black Charizard on your team is so flipping cool.

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
Years
Generally speaking I prefer regular Pokemon to their shiny alternative, however I do adore the only two shiny Pokemon I've ever caught (excluding the red Gyarados) because they are unique. That is one of the reasons I refuse to do things like shiny hunting, because the only thing that makes them special to me is being unique (since I generally prefer the regular colouring as said).

But each to their own, I have no problem with those that do go shiny hunting. They paid for the game hopefully and they have the right to enjoy it the way they want and I'll enjoy it my way.

Back