PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon and your Parents...?

Miss Doronjo
April 23rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
One day, while your playing your pokemon yellow, or cuddling your prescious reuinclus doll, your mom, or dad walks by and notices you. Now, the main question I want to ask you is...

Has your parents or guardians ever said anything between you and pokemon? What did they say about pokemon? Do you agree with them? Why or Why not?

Seeds Horizon
April 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
My Grandmother or Mother (cant remember which) bought me my first Poke game, Yellow, with that special yellow Gameboy Color. Every game after that, they continued to support my quest for beating each and every game. They bought me R/S/E, Lg/Fr. And the ones before, like G/S/C. After that I lost interest in Pokemon for awhile. *shrugs* But anyway, they dont really care, and like that I take an interest in something so fun :D. Even though im too old for it ;_;. Hey, my 12 year old sisters watch Barney and those little kids shows (<3 that purple dino) So I guess what I do isnt as bad eh?;D. Thoug I dont care what they think ^_^. I used to have a Pikachu camera and a pillow..And when I used to cuddle mah pillow they were like "Ahhhh so cuuute" XD.

Misheard Whisper
April 23rd, 2011, 09:18 PM
When I was a kid, I was actually raised with the belief that Pokemon was rubbish, and it took me a long time to get over that prejudice. I don't know why they even had that opinion, but it was there. Maybe it tied in with Mum's attempt to raise me Catholic, I don't know.

Even now they occasionally ask me why I still play the games. I tell them - truthfully - that it's because they're fun and I love them. It's all there is to it. On the whole, they're pretty accepting of what I do, even if they don't get it. There's a good bit of give and take - they don't ask what I find so interesting about anime, and I don't ask what Dad finds so interesting about motorsports, or why Mum loves mystery novels so much. It works.

Dragonite's Wrath
April 23rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
My step dad is always saying games(especially pokemon) are all I care about, and he's saying that because I have ADHD. He's gonna pay for all he's done to me( don't ask what he's done, because my answer will be 5 pages). All he cares about is his computer, so I'm gonna sabotage it. I hate what he's said about pkmn, and I hate him.

Seeds Horizon
April 23rd, 2011, 09:46 PM
My step dad is always saying games(especially pokemon) are all I care about, and he's saying that because I have ADHD. He's gonna pay for all he's done to me( don't ask what he's done, because my answer will be 5 pages). All he cares about is his computer, so I'm gonna sabotage it. I hate what he's said about pkmn, and I hate him.

Dont sabotage his computer, get back at him through more practical means. Stuff cockroaches in his ears at night, up his nose. Put bricks in his pillows. Disrupt his cars battery. Anything but the computer! And dont say you hate him..Just say you dislike him a lot. I personally am Half and Half with my step father, but on a whole I really..love him. Even though we get into fights a lot, and he makes me so mad I punch a hole in a wall..*shrugs* Anyway, do what you want to :D.

flight
April 23rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
My mother just thinks Pokemon is something insignificant that I play, and something that I've been into for pretty much years and years. She gets sort of annoyed whenever I want a new Pokemon game and all, but it's been that way for like ever, so it's expected.

Lily
April 23rd, 2011, 09:58 PM
They just kind of shrug it off. I've had a Pikachu plushie since I was 10 years old. They know how important it is to me. They know I like Pokemon, but they've never really made a big deal out of it because I haven't, too.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™
April 23rd, 2011, 11:12 PM
My parents know I play Pokemon, and they don't understand why, but they typically pay it no mind and leave me to my own devices.

Dave_
April 23rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
My parents don't care because it's just a game?
They're well aware I play as are anyone who knows me and noones ever even brought up that it might be a problem..

Toshiro.
April 24th, 2011, 04:56 AM
My parents know that I play the games, but they don't mind it. I mean, it's just a game after all.

Spanner226
April 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Whenever my dad sees me playing pokemon, he comments that it.....doesn't look very fun.

But he doesn't really care whether I play or not, though.

Aurora01
April 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM
My Mom doesn't really bother me about it.
She'll sometimes ask about how I'm doing, but never more than that.

NamelessGuy
April 24th, 2011, 11:04 AM
My mom has this little infatuation with Pikachu when Pokemon first came out. She would say how cute it is countless times, and even bought Pokemon Yellow for my birthday only because she liked the game's cover. She thankfully stopped after a while.

ISA56 2.0
April 24th, 2011, 12:07 PM
When I was around 10 or 12, I had a strange aversion to anything Japanese, which unfortunately meant Pokemon was not my thing. Thankfully, one of my friends showed me a Pokemon game...

Anyway, my dad doesn't mind if I play Pokemon (as long as I do what I'm supposed to do first), but my mom gets peeved at me if I play too long. If I play for over 5 hours at a time, she snaps at me and says I should stop caring so much about Pokemon. Sheesh, doesn't mean you have to yell at me >_>

Haberdasher
April 24th, 2011, 01:07 PM
My parents don't comment on it too frequently. Sometimes my mom will point to it as an example of how I procrastinate and avoid doing productive things (not half wrong). My dad thinks Pikachu is cute.

Mr Cat Dog
April 24th, 2011, 01:15 PM
They wouldn't care. I don't think they're aware that I still play the games, but they'd probably just comment on it and move on with their lives: they're nice and open-minded like that, which is nice!

TheMysteryEgg
April 24th, 2011, 02:47 PM
My parents call them "ugly, mythical creatures". But occasionally, I hear my dad hum the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl battle music. "Dun, dun, dun-dun, dundundundun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dundundund, dun, dun, dun, dun-dun, duny, duny, dun, dun, dun-dun..." sometimes it annoys me. When ever any other adult comes by, they pronounce it, Pokey-man.

Timbjerr
April 24th, 2011, 04:05 PM
My parents just think of it as one more facet of being a Nintendo fan, and they're well-aware of my tendency to play video games as a stress-reliever. XD

My dad in particular though loved playing the old Red/Blue for my brother and me if we ever got stuck, or if he ever wanted to just sit down and waste time. He even has his own favorite pokemon. XD

baseballa34657
April 24th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Believe it or not my entire family is infatuated with it. My dad and I play Gen 5 together (He has black I have white.) And everyone has their own PBR team. This probably happens since I was made when they were young.

Zayin
April 24th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I think my parents think I'm retarded when playing/watching it! :D I sometimes find it funny, but it can become annoying as well. They both have something against anime, manga and videogames, for being "super stupid and time consuming", but I don't really care. I'm just like yeah, whatever, just go watch your silly TV show =P.

My dad takes it more likely than my mom though. He laughs a bit more about the thing than she does. Sometimes he randomly says "hey Mewtwo is really the most powerful of all isn't it?" or he imitates Pikachu. It's funny even though he said the same thing 6 years ago.

Shorty-
April 24th, 2011, 10:12 PM
My parents never really said much about it to me. My Momma has always liked Jynx for some odd reason, and back in the day when I collected the cards, she just had to have a Jynx card to put on her desk at work.

Danikamakaze
April 24th, 2011, 11:31 PM
My Mum doesn't really say anything,
I mean on the odd occasion I sometimes get "Don't you think you're a little too old for this?"
and I just reply with "No. There are 30 year olds that play it, Mum :s ..."

My boyfriend and I snuggle up in bed and play it together all evening when I get home from college... Either that or we toss it up between playing Minecraft. Heh.
I'm definitely going to support my future kids if they like Pokemon.

luf100
April 25th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Well my dad once asked me what I was playing and when I told him he said "aren't you a little too old for Pokemon?" Of course I just said no, a lot of people my age and older play it. After that, he doesn't care. My mom really doesn't care either, although I don't think she knows I follow the anime as closely as I do. I have bought merchandise and stuff but I think she mostly thinks my love of Pokemon comes from the games when really it's more from the anime. The only thing is the anime is aimed towards kids so I think if she knew I kept up with it, she might think I was just slightly weirder than she already thinks I am, not even counting the fact that I like Pokemon. :D

For some reason people just seem to find the games more acceptable. Around some people, if you say you still play Pokemon, no one cares. But if you say you still watch Pokemon, it's like, what? Why would you still watch a little kid's show like that? I don't get it. -_- I watch and play Pokemon both for the same reason, I just enjoy it. *shrug*

silence27
April 25th, 2011, 12:18 AM
oh good question my step dad's like huh n my moms like jeez n my old dads like who are you n my new REAL dad is like...he doesnt know because i am...ashamed but my girlfriends mom is like that purugly ain got nuttin on my supah dupah

Zeffy
April 25th, 2011, 12:39 AM
Its my hobby, so they can't complain. Heck, my mum's hobby is being on Facebook and playing a bunch of games but I don' judge her for that.

PlatinumDude
April 25th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Generally, my mom and dad are okay with me liking Pokemon, but my mom thinks that I should move on to other things. Despite this, I chose to stay with Pokemon.

Sabrewulf238
April 25th, 2011, 02:13 AM
My parents are ok with it, I don't think my dad even really cares what games I'm playing (or even knows what I'm playing) It's not a topic that has ever come up between us. He doesn't have the slightest interest in video games.

My mum is fine with it, sometimes I'll tell her what games I'm hoping to get....she's more of a listener than anything else. She has never once said anything like "aren't you too old for this"

If I have ever have kids, I think for the most part I'll trust my kids judgement if they like certain games.....even if I think it's a bit odd. I suppose that is within reason though.

If I ever meet somebody as a partner, I wonder if they'll be open to pokemon....or even like it too. I'd hate to be with someone who wasn't at least ok with it. (and video games in general)

Chillout
April 25th, 2011, 11:36 PM
When i did live at home my parents just saw it as another game they did not really care either way

Nutella
April 26th, 2011, 01:59 AM
My mum thinks it's funny. She shows a very slight interest every now and then. Seeing as it was thanks to her that I love it!

King Gumball
April 26th, 2011, 03:57 AM
My parents don't care. They think I use GPX and PC too much though and want me to spend less time there when there is work to do. But as for the games they don't care at all as long as I manage my time properly.

ShinyMeowth
April 26th, 2011, 04:09 AM
My parents have a strong hatred for Pokemon. They occasionally bug me about how it is "immature" to be involved with the franchise, but then I will bring up how I am smarter, and how they have no right to judge me, and that usually stops them.

Crimson5M
April 26th, 2011, 09:42 AM
My Mum and Dad say I'm too obsessed with it and I need to play other games too, but they really don't mind it. Heck,my Mum used to play my Pokemon Sapphire and my her and my Dad used to play my Pokemon Snap xD

Pokemon Trainer Touko
April 26th, 2011, 07:37 PM
My mom and dad thinks that Pokemon is for little kids. They get really annoyed when they see me play. :<

Astinus
April 26th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Ever since I became a fan, my parents were fans of Pokemon. My mother was the one who dragged me down to the movie theater four times to watch the first movie. My father played Blue far longer than I did. They learned how to play the trading card game. They watched the anime, read a few books and my fics (poor them), and collected some merchandise.

Now, though, they really only ask me who my favorite Pokemon are in case they want to surprise me with something. But I can still talk to them about it if I want to, like showing them the new Pokemon they might like or some feature of B/W. They really don't care that I'm still a fan of Pokemon. It's being a fan of someone else that they don't like much.

Aafi
April 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Eh, my parents don't really care, it's just like any other video game. But I make sure that I take time away from Pokemon, just so I don't over obssess about it. ;3

Ninjutsu95
April 28th, 2011, 07:44 AM
My parents know I play Pokemon, and they don't understand why, but they typically pay it no mind and leave me to my own devices.

Exact same thing here! They really don't care, have tried it at least once, and... nothing.

Aura.Lucario
April 29th, 2011, 03:32 AM
they say

"Pokemon again?" X ~200 times.

apparently they think Pokemon's for kids, and they think Pokemon is as childish as Teletubbies.

When will they ever learn.

Mew~
April 29th, 2011, 03:51 AM
Neither of my parents really care to be honest, though I guess it did annoy my mum when I was younger when I used to ask for money for a new game or cards, but I buy most of my games myself now and neither of them really take any notice, they just let me get along with it. :3

BenjiTheKid
April 29th, 2011, 03:17 PM
My mom never cared that I played Pokemon. Actually, she was glad that I had finally found a hobby that helped me make friends because when I was really young, I had trouble making friends. Playing Pokemon encouraged me to meet others so we could battle, trade Pokemon, trade cards, etc. She encouraged the hobby when I was young. She didn't buy me my first game (my sister actually gave it to me) but she did buy me my second and third games. Sometimes, she would even watch Pokemon with me and really get into the show. She never got into the cards or the games, but seemed to love the show. (Then again, this is the same mother that also enjoyed Sailor Moon!)

Now that I'm older and playing again, she does joke about me being a bit too old for it, but she still doesn't say anything about it. She knows that it's just a hobby and realizes it isn't her place to say anything about it because I'm an adult these days. :P

LatiasSoulDew
April 30th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Well, my parents not really think about me playing games, not only Pokemon games.

But, when I play games, my dad once said "You can play games, but don't forget your obligation."

So I conclude that they think playing games is not a problem as long as I know the limits, and doing my obligation well.
And I agree with my father mindset, for giving the obligation not coercion.

solarowl
April 30th, 2011, 10:19 PM
My Mom has become really annoyed of me playing Black and White too much.
My dad doesn't really care, but my mom is really angry about me playing.

s0nido
May 1st, 2011, 04:34 AM
My parents don't really care. XD As long as it doesn't get in the way of my school work, it's perfectly fine whatever game I play. They're unwilling to buy me games or anything unless it's a present or something like that. I usually have to buy my own games. I bought Black and White on my own, and I also bought RSE on my own. They know I play Pokemon, but they just don't really say anything about it. XD;

Blaziken15
May 1st, 2011, 04:56 AM
My dad always brings up that, "Not many high school kids play Pokemon."

But thats not true. Look at everyone around here.

He tells me I'll get beat up or something but that won't happen because no one will no.

Shining Raichu
May 1st, 2011, 05:41 AM
My parents have never said a word about it, which I like. And I'd like to see them try.

Owl
May 1st, 2011, 06:33 AM
My mom doesn't mind, my dad on the other hand thinks it's childish and that I need to grow out of it. The rest of my family doesn't know, but if they did, I'm pretty sure I'd be the laughing stock of my family :/ I'm the only one in my family who even watches anime or cartoons in general.

Haowakeorden
May 1st, 2011, 10:43 AM
My dad used to complain about how Pokémon was obsolete/outdated/whatever, but that was many years ago. Now neither of my parents complain about my interest in Pokémon, as long as they don't think it's negatively impacting my studies.

Ruhn
May 1st, 2011, 11:08 AM
Well. Speak of which... my father hates games related to computer, consoles or hendhelds... he not even knows that i bought an ndsi xl (well i couldn't afford the 3ds T.T). when my mum first saw the hendheld and the pokemon game she said: isn't that pokémon? how old are u? aren't u too old for a children's game? i just answered: well, gess i'm just five years than if u say that. i don't have a problem with it :P.
my brother just said i waste my money for stupid things... i also contered with: well it's my money and i'm buying what i like.
but nevertheless. my friends are ok with it. wether if it's a children's game or not, they don't care just saying: if i like it i should play it. about the fact it's a children's game. i'm not sure about it really. cause pokemon now has it's 5th generation running and ppl who played the first games may also played the following ones *gg*.

ps: just a funny story in the end. i managed to get an game boy color and the pokemon gold version (my first pokemon game >.<) cause i told my unlce to by it for my as a birthday present. my father was really upset about it and angry with everyone. it was ok with my mother but well... that's how it works out. and one's for sure. the games are fun and with the 5th generation they managed to inlcude a good story too which follows the manga's concept :). honestly: i just like it (wether if i'm too old or not, i don't care XD).

Pika-power
May 1st, 2011, 11:24 AM
Nobody knows in my family, so there you go.

It's hard trying to hide it though.

heroherohero
May 2nd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Playing Pokemon has been one thing that kept me and my siblings so close. My parents never really cared, and sort of supported anything I ever did really. I'm sure they got tired of buying Pokemon cards when I was a kid though.

Soul Eater
May 2nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
My mom is stuck wondering why on Earth I still like Pokemon, but past that, she's fine with it really. I like what I like.

Raiskit
May 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
My mom doesn't mind that I like pokemon since I'm still only fourteen. :p

shenanigans
May 2nd, 2011, 12:38 PM
Haha, no-one's known that I ever play Pokémon since I was like, 10. x) I prefer to just keep it quiet.

Eucliffe
May 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
My parents...do not really care. They know I love Pokemon, and while they'll crack jokes every now and then, they aren't serious about it. Heck, my mom's even done a couple of Pokemon stuff with me, and both her and my stepdad have favorite Pokemon. My dad also stood watching the anime with me and even recorded it on separate tapes back when it was on WB.

Seki
May 6th, 2011, 01:01 AM
My mum used to play pokemon for me. (seriously, not lying) I still remember that time when my hands were very tired trying to catch a Zaptos. My mum asked me what I was doing and I told her I am trying to catch this Pokemon. She helped me while I went to eat. And when I went back, she caught it! Unfortunately, she does not help me now.

Zaspien
May 6th, 2011, 02:33 AM
My parents know I'm into various aspects of Pokemon but they don't mind at all. As long as I play, watch and read it with moderation they don't mind. When I was younger, they took the game from me sometimes because all I did was play it but now that I'm older, they don't even monitor me because I don't play it in the amounts I used to.

I hope I'm making sense here. XD