• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon and your Parents...?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • One day, while your playing your pokemon yellow, or cuddling your prescious reuinclus doll, your mom, or dad walks by and notices you. Now, the main question I want to ask you is...

Has your parents or guardians ever said anything between you and pokemon? What did they say about pokemon? Do you agree with them? Why or Why not?

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • My Grandmother or Mother (cant remember which) bought me my first Poke game, Yellow, with that special yellow Gameboy Color. Every game after that, they continued to support my quest for beating each and every game. They bought me R/S/E, Lg/Fr. And the ones before, like G/S/C. After that I lost interest in Pokemon for awhile. *shrugs* But anyway, they dont really care, and like that I take an interest in something so fun :D. Even though im too old for it ;_;. Hey, my 12 year old sisters watch Barney and those little kids shows (<3 that purple dino) So I guess what I do isnt as bad eh?;D. Thoug I dont care what they think ^_^. I used to have a Pikachu camera and a pillow..And when I used to cuddle mah pillow they were like "Ahhhh so cuuute" XD.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • When I was a kid, I was actually raised with the belief that Pokemon was rubbish, and it took me a long time to get over that prejudice. I don't know why they even had that opinion, but it was there. Maybe it tied in with Mum's attempt to raise me Catholic, I don't know.

Even now they occasionally ask me why I still play the games. I tell them - truthfully - that it's because they're fun and I love them. It's all there is to it. On the whole, they're pretty accepting of what I do, even if they don't get it. There's a good bit of give and take - they don't ask what I find so interesting about anime, and I don't ask what Dad finds so interesting about motorsports, or why Mum loves mystery novels so much. It works.

Dragonite's Wrath

Dragons are my Heart and Soul
    Years
  • My step dad is always saying games(especially pokemon) are all I care about, and he's saying that because I have ADHD. He's gonna pay for all he's done to me( don't ask what he's done, because my answer will be 5 pages). All he cares about is his computer, so I'm gonna sabotage it. I hate what he's said about pkmn, and I hate him.

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
  • My step dad is always saying games(especially pokemon) are all I care about, and he's saying that because I have ADHD. He's gonna pay for all he's done to me( don't ask what he's done, because my answer will be 5 pages). All he cares about is his computer, so I'm gonna sabotage it. I hate what he's said about pkmn, and I hate him.

Dont sabotage his computer, get back at him through more practical means. Stuff cockroaches in his ears at night, up his nose. Put bricks in his pillows. Disrupt his cars battery. Anything but the computer! And dont say you hate him..Just say you dislike him a lot. I personally am Half and Half with my step father, but on a whole I really..love him. Even though we get into fights a lot, and he makes me so mad I punch a hole in a wall..*shrugs* Anyway, do what you want to :D.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • They just kind of shrug it off. I've had a Pikachu plushie since I was 10 years old. They know how important it is to me. They know I like Pokemon, but they've never really made a big deal out of it because I haven't, too.

Years
  • My parents don't care because it's just a game?
    They're well aware I play as are anyone who knows me and noones ever even brought up that it might be a problem..

Years
  • My parents know that I play the games, but they don't mind it. I mean, it's just a game after all.

Spanner226

Millefiore Mechanic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2011
    Whenever my dad sees me playing pokemon, he comments that it.....doesn't look very fun.

But he doesn't really care whether I play or not, though.

Aurora01

Goodbye
    Years
  • My Mom doesn't really bother me about it.
    She'll sometimes ask about how I'm doing, but never more than that.

NamelessGuy

<Insert Witty Title Here>
    Years
  • My mom has this little infatuation with Pikachu when Pokemon first came out. She would say how cute it is countless times, and even bought Pokemon Yellow for my birthday only because she liked the game's cover. She thankfully stopped after a while.

ISA56 2.0

The one and only!
    Years
  • When I was around 10 or 12, I had a strange aversion to anything Japanese, which unfortunately meant Pokemon was not my thing. Thankfully, one of my friends showed me a Pokemon game...

Anyway, my dad doesn't mind if I play Pokemon (as long as I do what I'm supposed to do first), but my mom gets peeved at me if I play too long. If I play for over 5 hours at a time, she snaps at me and says I should stop caring so much about Pokemon. Sheesh, doesn't mean you have to yell at me >_>

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • They wouldn't care. I don't think they're aware that I still play the games, but they'd probably just comment on it and move on with their lives: they're nice and open-minded like that, which is nice!

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • My parents call them "ugly, mythical creatures". But occasionally, I hear my dad hum the Pokemon Diamond/Pearl battle music. "Dun, dun, dun-dun, dundundundun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dundundund, dun, dun, dun, dun-dun, duny, duny, dun, dun, dun-dun..." sometimes it annoys me. When ever any other adult comes by, they pronounce it, Pokey-man.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • My parents just think of it as one more facet of being a Nintendo fan, and they're well-aware of my tendency to play video games as a stress-reliever. XD

My dad in particular though loved playing the old Red/Blue for my brother and me if we ever got stuck, or if he ever wanted to just sit down and waste time. He even has his own favorite pokemon. XD

Last edited:

baseballa34657

Roleplaying Assasin
    Years
  • Believe it or not my entire family is infatuated with it. My dad and I play Gen 5 together (He has black I have white.) And everyone has their own PBR team. This probably happens since I was made when they were young.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I think my parents think I'm retarded when playing/watching it! :D I sometimes find it funny, but it can become annoying as well. They both have something against anime, manga and videogames, for being "super stupid and time consuming", but I don't really care. I'm just like yeah, whatever, just go watch your silly TV show =P.

My dad takes it more likely than my mom though. He laughs a bit more about the thing than she does. Sometimes he randomly says "hey Mewtwo is really the most powerful of all isn't it?" or he imitates Pikachu. It's funny even though he said the same thing 6 years ago.

Shorty-

Unique is an Understatement.
    Years
  • My parents never really said much about it to me. My Momma has always liked Jynx for some odd reason, and back in the day when I collected the cards, she just had to have a Jynx card to put on her desk at work.

Back