PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Gamecube most durable game system!

Pokemon Master #1
December 31st, 2004, 08:53 PM
Has anybody seen the episode of X-play where Morgan Webb starts dropping and smashing The Nintedo Gamecube Sony Playstation 2 and Microsoft X-box?Well if you haven't then here's the results:
PS2-Is unable to turn on after dropping a weight on it from the top of a ladder.
X-box-Is unable to turn on after droppin a weight on it from the top of a ladder, pounded on the side with sledge hammer, and dropped off a high balcony.
GCN-Got a weight dropped on it from the top of a ladder, punded on it's side with sledge hammer, and dropped off high balcony and still worked!
And afterwards they tried it again and the results came out exactly the same.
After that the PS2 and the X-box got smashed up some more for breaking (this has to be console abuse)!
I think Nintendo deserves a hand for making a tough game system!

Shinin
December 31st, 2004, 08:55 PM
That's awesome. This shows that Nintendo is better.

Kairi
December 31st, 2004, 09:12 PM
I saw that episode. All three consoles are tough, but the tests were pretty biased. The Xbox’s weight would obviously cause it to take the last test pretty hard.
And all it shows is that the console can take more wear and tear it should never see. o_O

Shadow
December 31st, 2004, 09:45 PM
I saw that episode. All three consoles are tough, but the tests were pretty biased. The Xboxs weight would obviously cause it to take the last test pretty hard.
And all it shows is that the console can take more wear and tear it should never see. o_O
Well the last test would probably be the most likely to happen as an accident in real life, that and the first one. I don't think anyone would accidently whack a console like a golf ball though (meh, none lost in that round anyways). Though, especially at times like when moving, dropping the consoles/stuff onto the consoles could happen, and its nice to know the PS2 and X-Box couldn't survive them but the Gamecube can =]

I remember some video game magazine saying they flushed a GBA down the toilet and it still worked. That and someone sent in a letter saying they accidenlty froze/unfroze their GBC several times in late winter and it still worked (with the save file on Pokemon Silver, which was in it at the time, intact).

Kairi
December 31st, 2004, 10:48 PM
Yeah, true. Still though, it was really funny to watch the weight in the first test just deflect off of the Xbox. XD They dropped it from awfully high though, and same with the weight. Dang. Not to mention the GCN cover wouldn’t close without excessive force after. Ahh, X-play. Last good show on G4TechTV.

ravenstorture
December 31st, 2004, 10:56 PM
I love XPlay, even though I didn't see that episode. Personally, I don't think these tests should even matter, because you should be taking care of your consoles, considering they are really expensive.

WolfWood
December 31st, 2004, 11:59 PM
Lol I agree, Nintendo has always made durable systems and games.

Kairi
January 1st, 2005, 10:34 AM
Now would be your chance to catch it Piro, with X-day going on all day today. XP

Shinin
January 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM
I saw that episode. All three consoles are tough, but the tests were pretty biased. The Xboxs weight would obviously cause it to take the last test pretty hard.
Biased? X-Play? Gamecube? Yeah right. X-Play hates the GCN.

Kairi
January 1st, 2005, 10:45 AM
I didn’t mean it to come off like that. I wouldn’t say that hate the GCN, either. I just mean the nature of the last test really hurt the Xbox because of its weight.

Pogiforce-14
January 1st, 2005, 10:51 AM
well then that is the x-box's fault for making a system that heavy.

Mullet
January 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM

Accually, I forgot that my GC was in my travel bag, and I dropped it off a 2nd story landing, it was on the bottom of the travel bag with a lot of magizines, books, graphic novels, and other heavy electronic cords, and it still works like it did when I pulled it fresh out of the box! :D

Dratini927
January 1st, 2005, 02:59 PM
It's good to make them durable. Since Nintendo knows that many of us are accidents waiting to happen, they probably went ahead and just made it more stronger for the sake of it. They probably know that someone will drop it sooner or later. :P

Flaming Torchic
January 1st, 2005, 04:49 PM
Well, it's good to know that I can drop my Gamecube from a ladder, pound it with a sledge hammer, and drop it off a balcony, and it will still work! I'll keep this in mind the next time I feel like doing that.

Simmons_2.0
January 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM
if they can make the systems that durable why not houses? But theyd make em even more durable then thier consoles.

Brittany
January 1st, 2005, 08:51 PM
I agree with Abby, it's a kinda biased test. Though I still think Nintendo may have the most durable system, most of those situations will never happen.
well then that is the x-box's fault for making a system that heavy.
But balcony/ladder dropping and sledgehammer abuse isn't very realistic. Possible, but not realistic. Perhaps.. dropping it waist-high multiple times? I dunno.

fudge01
January 1st, 2005, 09:03 PM
Actually i know a few people who have dropped there gamecube out of there 2 story window/balcony eh... they still work perfectly :P

SBaby
January 1st, 2005, 09:23 PM
You know, it strikes me as odd that Sony has the least durable system out there, and they made it even skinnier. What the heck is up with that?

That said, All I can say to you all who drop your systems on purpose to see if they still work is, I'm not replacing them. Not my problem. Of course, they didn't put "durable enough to withstand sledgehammer bludgeoning" on the side of the systems, so THEY probably won't replace a shattered system either.

Accidental, I understand, but when you do things like that on purpose... yeah... There's some issues that need to be worked out...

"OK. Today, we're going to see if the PS2, XBox and GCube can handle an accidental sledgehammer bludgeoning. Let me just hit the bottle one more time... ... (Bubbling Sounds)... ... Ok, man. We're all set."

(Slams hammer down on the three systems.) "Dude, did you see those pieces go everywhere? Man, I didn't know those systems could break into that many pieces... Dude, I think that's your Memory Card..."

Sorry, ranting again.

Cherrim
January 1st, 2005, 09:57 PM
What if you're just moving into your apartment on the second floor and your TV is near the balcony? You're bringing the console over to your TV and you trip, sending your X-Box/PS2/GCN out the door and over the railing. Doesn't it make you feel safer to know that the system will be okay? XD

Heh, I saw this episode, actually. :3 It really amused me. ^^; I wasn't too surprised, either. Nintendo is known for their durable systems, I believe. I remember reading an issue of Nintendo Power in which people wrote in about things that had happened to their Gameboys without rendering them useless. o_O

Shadow
January 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM
You know, it strikes me as odd that Sony has the least durable system out there, and they made it even skinnier. What the heck is up with that?
If you haven't noticed, Sony products are lazy pieces of dookie that always break; game consoles, walkmen, headphones, CD players, etc. made by Sony all break down within the first year of use 87% of the time (I got one of the lucky PS2s, my dads doesn't play half of his games [in perfect condition themselves] though).

Well saying Sony headphones are bad isn't saying much. >>
*has a huge pile of Sony and non-Sony headphones that all stopped working after a month of use*

Brittany
January 2nd, 2005, 10:54 AM
If you haven't noticed, Sony products are lazy pieces of dookie that always break; game consoles, walkmen, headphones, CD players, etc. made by Sony all break down within the first year of use 87% of the time (I got one of the lucky PS2s, my dads doesn't play half of his games [in perfect condition themselves] though).

Well saying Sony headphones are bad isn't saying much. >>
*has a huge pile of Sony and non-Sony headphones that all stopped working after a month of use*
Even so, this experiment didn't demonstrate it well. They could have proved the same point by using mroe realistic situations. Results could be compared too, rather than 'broken after one drop' vs 'not broken after one drop'. By dropping it from a lower hieght, you would get realistic info, not to mention, multiple drops.

Results could be like:
GCN- 12
PS2- 7
X-Box- 5

Instead of:
GCN- Not Broken
PS2- Broken
X-Box- Broken

Although they demonstrate the same thing, one is a little more misleading than the other statistic-wise, and less realistic too.

Shadow
January 2nd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Even so, this experiment didn't demonstrate it well. They could have proved the same point by using mroe realistic situations. Results could be compared too, rather than 'broken after one drop' vs 'not broken after one drop'. By dropping it from a lower hieght, you would get realistic info, not to mention, multiple drops.

Results could be like:
GCN- 12
PS2- 0
X-Box- 1

Instead of:
GCN- Not Broken
PS2- Always Broken
X-Box- Broken

Although they demonstrate the same thing, one is a little more misleading than the other statistic-wise, and less realistic too.
I corrected some errors in your information. And people aren't going to sit there and drop their consoles repeastedly, they might drop them once or twice by mistake and its good to know that the PS2 and X-Box would probably break from that mishap.

Brittany
January 2nd, 2005, 01:00 PM
I corrected some errors in your information. And people aren't going to sit there and drop their consoles repeastedly, they might drop them once or twice by mistake and its good to know that the PS2 and X-Box would probably break from that mishap.
Thanks for the two cents, it's much appreciated :P
*puts the pennies in pocket*

Anyway, the second part of your statement is exactly my point. You're right, it is realistic to drop it one or two times- not out of a window though. A more realistic drop would be... waist-chest high, no? And because the test goes down to the death, repeating it is the only way to get accurate information.

Pogiforce-14
January 2nd, 2005, 06:47 PM
Actually, believe it or not, Mullet tells me he once accidentally dropped his gamecube out a two story window off the balcony of his hotel room when he had gone on vacation. Still worked like a dream afterward too. so that height drop test isn't so implausible as you might think. http://pokecommunity.com/images/smilies/Normal/silly.gif

Brittany
January 2nd, 2005, 07:01 PM
Actually, believe it or not, Mullet tells me he once accidentally dropped his gamecube out a two story window off the balcony of his hotel room when he had gone on vacation. Still worked like a dream afterward too. so that height drop test isn't so implausible as you might think. http://pokecommunity.com/images/smilies/Normal/silly.gif
Even so. How often does that happen?

NaVeR
January 2nd, 2005, 08:24 PM
I hope my Gamecube never has to go through that kind of punishment oO; *hugs GCN*

It probably could've been more accurate to just measure how much PSI of force a console could withstand.
But it wouldn't be anywhere near as funny as dropping it off a balcony, now would it? ;)

HellishHades
January 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
I didnt mean it to come off like that. I wouldnt say that hate the GCN, either. I just mean the nature of the last test really hurt the Xbox because of its weight.

The X-Box also has a greater area to disperse the force.

The GCN's laser has been known to break after time (two to three years), and it can break much easier if you drop it. If you looked at the long-term effects of the test, the GCN would suffer, too. At least you would get some short-term use out of it after dropping it, unlike the other consoles.

FireEmporer
January 7th, 2005, 07:04 PM
PS2 isn't extremly frail... I stood on in and jumped... Just tonight, and I am currently playing now! Not broked! I still love my GCN though!

TRIFORCE89
January 8th, 2005, 05:33 PM
My GCN is actually annoying me now. It takes it a few tries to read the discs. And the discs aren't dirty either. I open a game on Christmas straight from the package and it won't read it on the first try. << Most tries it's taken has been about seven I think. Bareable but annoying.

I went on a cleaning spree once and I think (I was stupid) may have attempted to clean the lens that reads the games. Stupid idea that was.

HellishHades
January 8th, 2005, 06:00 PM
The laser wears out on the GCN very easily. GCNs that were bought near their release date (2001) or even a bit later (2002) are now having disc reading errors because the laser has weakened with use.

I had to buy another GCN, and I take great care of my electronic devices. The old one is rubbish now. I could increase the laser power, but then the laser will have a shorter life and will suffer from the same problem again.

Mullet
January 8th, 2005, 06:32 PM

That was so cool, I ropped it off a second story landing, at my condo, when I was on vaction, and it ecapsed without a scratch! :D

TRIFORCE89
January 9th, 2005, 11:07 AM
The laser wears out on the GCN very easily. GCNs that were bought near their release date (2001) or even a bit later (2002) are now having disc reading errors because the laser has weakened with use.

I had to buy another GCN, and I take great care of my electronic devices. The old one is rubbish now. I could increase the laser power, but then the laser will have a shorter life and will suffer from the same problem again.
I got it the day it came out, so that could be a problem. Drat. There is a Nintendo repairing place around here, I wonder if they could do anything.

HellishHades
January 9th, 2005, 05:05 PM
They charge about the same as getting a new one, at least in Canada. Bloody money-hungry leeches they are.

SBaby
January 10th, 2005, 10:47 AM
You know, with the Gamecube's durability, they ought to just make new Bulletproof Vests out of the same material...

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the hosts of X-Play are on something reeeeeeeeally great. And Mass System Destruction simply proves my theory.

TRIFORCE89
January 10th, 2005, 04:11 PM
They charge about the same as getting a new one, at least in Canada. Bloody money-hungry leeches they are.
Hmm...yes, especially consider their price now. *is Canadian, Btw* Gives me things to think about.

GenoMew
January 10th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Ultimately this has nothing to do with the gameplay performance of either console.

TRIFORCE89
January 10th, 2005, 04:25 PM
Ultimately this has nothing to do with the gameplay performance of either console.
Usually, no it wouldn't. But after been thrown out a window...it might. o.o

Brittany
January 10th, 2005, 04:26 PM
Yeah XD
I don't really care if I can drop my consoles off a cliff anyway XD

WolfWood
January 10th, 2005, 04:57 PM
I wonder why X-Play hated the GCN so much? But they adore Wario Ware, but who doesn't?

HellishHades
January 10th, 2005, 05:15 PM

broken system = no gameplay || performance;

BigBoss
January 12th, 2005, 04:40 PM
The thing is, my PS2 has fallen only once, and my San Andreas was in there, it somehow got messed up. I wonder how..... Had to buy a new one. also on my PS2 the open button is VERRRRY loose.(sometimes does not work) but the PS2 is still alive. my GCN has fallen like 5 times, and I got it when it first came out, the worst thing that happened to it was the one of the rubber thing on the bottom fell of, and it got a very small chipped off piece, and it works perfectly fine still, and it fell of the top of a 32' TV.

!Verb
January 12th, 2005, 05:06 PM
That's awesome. This shows that Nintendo is better.
No it isn't, well its just on if you keep droping it or don't have a safe place to put it and leave it at the edge o_O;

Yeah XD
I don't really care if I can drop my consoles off a cliff anyway XD
LOL, I know same here.

GenoMew
January 12th, 2005, 09:48 PM
broken system = no gameplay || performance;

Cough, how often do you pick up your ps2 and drop it on the ground and then step on it? "Oops, accidently hit it with a sledge hammer."

Brittany
January 13th, 2005, 10:00 AM
Cough, how often do you pick up your ps2 and drop it on the ground and then step on it? "Oops, accidently hit it with a sledge hammer."
Definetly. Frankly, I wouldn't care if a GameCube could survive an Atomic bomb. If it's games suck [in my opinion], I won't waste my money on it.

*[i]accidently drives over GameCube* :P

Hmm. I hope I'm not getting repetitive XD

!Verb
January 13th, 2005, 11:16 AM
I didn't buy the gamecube (my brother did) he liked some games on it.. now we don't play it anymore and its stashed inside the cabinet. But the ps2 & xbox we do play :P

Gamecube has to be strong when droped, because oh so many people drop it to the ground when they realized what they bought. :)

Pokemon Master #1
January 13th, 2005, 04:54 PM
Definetly. Frankly, I wouldn't care if a GameCube could survive an Atomic bomb. If it's games suck [in my opinion], I won't waste my money on it.

*[i]accidently drives over GameCube* :P

Hmm. I hope I'm not getting repetitive XD
Gamecube games don't suck they rule.*Sends the Gamecube that Brittany ran over to Nintendo for fixing*.And even if you did drive over the Gamecube, who would leave it on the ground?

HellishHades
January 13th, 2005, 05:28 PM

That depends on how many crazy friends you have...

If you abuse your electronics, they will break, no matter which brand you have.

Knuckles
January 14th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Well,my friend's PS2 two from a 3 and a half inch tv. It was broken. My GameCube fell twice and it's fine.

Pogiforce-14
January 14th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I'm gonna have to protest now. This is starting to sound more like a Gamecube bash thread, and frankly that isn't fair.

Regardless of who you are, bashing anything, even if it's jsut a video game system, is against the rules.

Triumphant Chaos
January 14th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Hmm... I've seen problems with nintendo systems, of course it was the old gameboy pocket, and it's because of my brother's stupidity that it happened.

Note to all - Gameboys will not survive batteries exploding inside them.

:) On another note, I love my PS2, and never considered even buying GameCube because I wouldn't use it. As many people have said in many different words - You bought the system to play games on, not to drop it, or hit it, or do anything else that could possibly cause it to break. Accidents happen, yes, but let's not do anything accidentally-on-purpose that could cause big bucks to fix.

Pogiforce-14
January 14th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Though even in such simple accidents such as it falling from a coffee table can be devastating to a PS2. And unless you want to cradle it like an egg for the rest of the time you have it, then it's good to know that Gamecube is much more durable. A friend of mine, named Nick, his PS2 hardly went anywhere. It stayed on his coffee table almost all year long. And do you know what happened to it? I'll tell you. It started with a disk read error on occasion. Nothing too serious. a week later, it woudl only read certain games, one or two of his collection. a month later, it would only read one game and woudl do nothing else. A week after that, it stopped completely. and he did nothing to it. He in the end had to replace it. Another 200$ dollars out of his pocket. after barely a year of play.

My friend's gamecube, however, was accidentally dropped from a two story window during a vacation and worked liek he'd just taken it out of the box.

My gamecube which i've had for two years has out lived a Ps2 gotten around teh same time by half a year. and my gamecube is in such a condition that promises to run for several years afterward.

So in teh end, I'm glad I can trust my gamecube to work for me. At least I don't get that annoying disk read error that every PS2 gets eventually. :P