• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Gamecube most durable game system!

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Shadow said:
    If you haven't noticed, Sony products are lazy pieces of dookie that always break; game consoles, walkmen, headphones, CD players, etc. made by Sony all break down within the first year of use 87% of the time (I got one of the lucky PS2s, my dads doesn't play half of his games [in perfect condition themselves] though).

Well saying Sony headphones are bad isn't saying much. >>
    *has a huge pile of Sony and non-Sony headphones that all stopped working after a month of use*
    Even so, this experiment didn't demonstrate it well. They could have proved the same point by using mroe realistic situations. Results could be compared too, rather than 'broken after one drop' vs 'not broken after one drop'. By dropping it from a lower hieght, you would get realistic info, not to mention, multiple drops.

Results could be like:
    GCN- 12
    PS2- 7
    X-Box- 5

Instead of:
    GCN- Not Broken
    PS2- Broken
    X-Box- Broken

Although they demonstrate the same thing, one is a little more misleading than the other statistic-wise, and less realistic too.

Shadow

Original Flavor Darkness
    Years
    Brittany said:
    Even so, this experiment didn't demonstrate it well. They could have proved the same point by using mroe realistic situations. Results could be compared too, rather than 'broken after one drop' vs 'not broken after one drop'. By dropping it from a lower hieght, you would get realistic info, not to mention, multiple drops.

Results could be like:
    GCN- 12
    PS2- 0
    X-Box- 1

Instead of:
    GCN- Not Broken
    PS2- Always Broken
    X-Box- Broken

Although they demonstrate the same thing, one is a little more misleading than the other statistic-wise, and less realistic too.
    I corrected some errors in your information. And people aren't going to sit there and drop their consoles repeastedly, they might drop them once or twice by mistake and its good to know that the PS2 and X-Box would probably break from that mishap.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Shadow said:
    I corrected some errors in your information. And people aren't going to sit there and drop their consoles repeastedly, they might drop them once or twice by mistake and its good to know that the PS2 and X-Box would probably break from that mishap.
    Thanks for the two cents, it's much appreciated :P
    *puts the pennies in pocket*

Anyway, the second part of your statement is exactly my point. You're right, it is realistic to drop it one or two times- not out of a window though. A more realistic drop would be... waist-chest high, no? And because the test goes down to the death, repeating it is the only way to get accurate information.

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
    Actually, believe it or not, Mullet tells me he once accidentally dropped his gamecube out a two story window off the balcony of his hotel room when he had gone on vacation. Still worked like a dream afterward too. so that height drop test isn't so implausible as you might think.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    Pogiforce-14 said:
    Actually, believe it or not, Mullet tells me he once accidentally dropped his gamecube out a two story window off the balcony of his hotel room when he had gone on vacation. Still worked like a dream afterward too. so that height drop test isn't so implausible as you might think.
    Even so. How often does that happen?

NaVeR

That Guy from that Place
    Years
    I hope my Gamecube never has to go through that kind of punishment oO; *hugs GCN*

It probably could've been more accurate to just measure how much PSI of force a console could withstand.
    But it wouldn't be anywhere near as funny as dropping it off a balcony, now would it? ;)

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    Kairi said:
    I didn?t mean it to come off like that. I wouldn?t say that hate the GCN, either. I just mean the nature of the last test really hurt the Xbox because of its weight.

The X-Box also has a greater area to disperse the force.

The GCN's laser has been known to break after time (two to three years), and it can break much easier if you drop it. If you looked at the long-term effects of the test, the GCN would suffer, too. At least you would get some short-term use out of it after dropping it, unlike the other consoles.

FireEmporer

I win. You lose.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 3, 2006
    PS2 isn't extremly frail... I stood on in and jumped... Just tonight, and I am currently playing now! Not broked! I still love my GCN though!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    My GCN is actually annoying me now. It takes it a few tries to read the discs. And the discs aren't dirty either. I open a game on Christmas straight from the package and it won't read it on the first try. << Most tries it's taken has been about seven I think. Bareable but annoying.

I went on a cleaning spree once and I think (I was stupid) may have attempted to clean the lens that reads the games. Stupid idea that was.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    The laser wears out on the GCN very easily. GCNs that were bought near their release date (2001) or even a bit later (2002) are now having disc reading errors because the laser has weakened with use.

I had to buy another GCN, and I take great care of my electronic devices. The old one is rubbish now. I could increase the laser power, but then the laser will have a shorter life and will suffer from the same problem again.

Mullet

Banned
    Years
    Pogiforce-14 said:

That was so cool, I ropped it off a second story landing, at my condo, when I was on vaction, and it ecapsed without a scratch! :D

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    HellishHades said:
    The laser wears out on the GCN very easily. GCNs that were bought near their release date (2001) or even a bit later (2002) are now having disc reading errors because the laser has weakened with use.

I had to buy another GCN, and I take great care of my electronic devices. The old one is rubbish now. I could increase the laser power, but then the laser will have a shorter life and will suffer from the same problem again.
    I got it the day it came out, so that could be a problem. Drat. There is a Nintendo repairing place around here, I wonder if they could do anything.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    You know, with the Gamecube's durability, they ought to just make new Bulletproof Vests out of the same material...

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that the hosts of X-Play are on something reeeeeeeeally great. And Mass System Destruction simply proves my theory.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    HellishHades said:
    They charge about the same as getting a new one, at least in Canada. Bloody money-hungry leeches they are.
    Hmm...yes, especially consider their price now. *is Canadian, Btw* Gives me things to think about.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    Ultimately this has nothing to do with the gameplay performance of either console.

Back