• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] The Pirates of the Whirl Islands - REVAMP - OOC (M)

The1mm0rt41One

Dovahkiin
Years
Pirates of the Whirl Islands
148.jpg

This is the OOC thread. To post in the RP, see the IC thread located here.​

There is an old pirate tale…

One that has been told for hundreds of years, of the lost treasure that belonged to the greatest pirate of the age, Captain Whirl Swamp. Whirl Swamp was a very adventurous Swampert who set out on a voyage to a group of islands of the coast of Olivine Port. As there had been no documentation of any other Pokémon exploring these islands, Whirl Swamp decided to make an expedition to these islands. However, Whirl Swap didn't think about what might be inside, aside from lost treasures. It was said that Whirl came into contact with a giant monster that took his life. The monster than had the sea claim Whirl's ship along with his crew and all the treasure he had on board. The group of islands was named the Whirl Islands, after Whirl Swamp.

This story has caught the attention of many adventurers, explorers and pirates. But all who have attempted to follow in Whirl's footsteps have all ended up with the same fate, dead with their ships and treasures being claimed by the sea. Yet adventurers, explorers and pirates still try to explore the islands, finding the treasure and the most importantly, finding out what happened to Whirl Swamp. Perhaps the island isn't meant to be explored nor Whirl Swamp's treasure found. But what is certain is that there is something yet to be unravelled about the Whirl Islands.

The islands themselves are cursed…

There is no question about that. The Whirl Islands aren't only named after the pirate that lost his life inside, but also named after the giant maelstroms that surround the island. The islands are constantly covered in storm clouds with a strong breeze always blowing. However the storm clouds themselves are a signal. They are the signal of a Pokémon's attempt to enter the islands. Whenever an adventurer, explorer or pirate has attempted to enter the islands, the clouds begin to let lose a wicked storm, almost like a hurricane, that is meant to stop set Pokémon from entering the islands caverns. If the whirlpools don't stop you, the storm usually will. No one knows what lies inside the island caverns as the select few who have managed to make their way inside have never seen the light of day again.

As stated above, there is said to be a monster inside of the island caverns. This monster is said to be quite large, larger than any Pokémon. It is also said that the monsters wails and growls can be heard by the folks living in Cianwood Port. Though no one really knows what is inside, Pokémon across the seas of Johto fear this monster and pray they will never witness the horrific beast.

But the islands aren't the only thing trying to stop them…

It is said that there is also a ship that guards the islands, one that is crewed by minions of the monster within the Whirl Islands. The captain is said to be one of the evilest, cruellest and wickedest Pokémon to ever sail the seas of Johto. There are stories of him and his crew completely annihilating ships and sending their ships back to Davey Bones's locker. The ship is known as The Cursed Hydro and has never met any sort of challenge. Ever ship it has come into contact with has been utterly demolished. It is enough to scare even the bravest of Pokémon out of attempting the expedition.

Yet adventurers, explorers and pirates alike still try to unravel the mystery…

And one of those Pokémon has a story that could even compare to that of Whirl Swamp. His story begins atop Mt. Ember in the Sevii Islands. His name is Toro Blaze, born to the king and queen of the Blaze tribe. After Toro's birth, the elders of the tribe had come to a decision that Toro should be sacrificed in order to please their God's Moltres and Entei. Toro's parents did not agree to this notion and had Toro sent away on a trade's ship that was on its way to the seas of Johto. Toro was eventually found on the ship and raised by the owners of the ship. But when Toro was still at a young age, the trade's ship was attacked by pirates of The Revenge of the Sea and Toro was the only surviving member of the trade's ship. The pirates, who believed they were doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, took Toro alive and had him serve on their ship as a cabin boy. It was then when he started to develop a close bond with the captain of the ship. The captain of the ship, Razor the Kabutops, was fascinated by the story of Whirl Swamp and wanted to find the sunken treasure. So his crew set sail for the Whirl Islands with hope that they may be the first ones to ever make it out alive.

Upon reaching the island, the crew left Toro and a few other members aboard the ship while the remaining members attempted to reach the island. But the crew's failure was inevitable as they began running back to the ship. The only thing they forgot about was The Cursed Hydro. As the ship started to set sail, The Cursed Hydro chased after them. Although The Revenge of the Sea was said to be the fastest ship in Johto, the plagued crew of The Cursed Hydro managed to board The Revenge of the Sea. The cursed pirates then started to kill every member of The Revenge of the Sea. However, Toro managed to hide in a cupboard in the captain's quarters. After it had seemed they had killed every last member of the crew, they left the ship afloat in the ocean as a sign of their dominance. But what they didn't know is that one Pokémon survived, Toro. Toro climbed out of the cupboard and approached his captain. Razor bestowed the ship to him and made him captain. Toro, though still in adolescence, took the honour from his captain. His captain's dying wish was to be buried with some of the treasure from the island cavern. So Toro made a promise that he will gain some of the treasure, find his captains grave and bury some of the treasure with him.

It has been ten years since then, and Toro has been trying to get a crew together for all of those years. And after ten years, he finally has.

So enough with the stories, where do I fit into this…?

Fair enough, not one for the pointless chit-chat. I like that. You'll fit in well in this crew. That's right; you are one of the new members of Toro Blaze's pirate crew. You, along with eight others, are the new crew of The Revenge of the Sea. Your task is simple, follow Toro's orders and crew his ship to reach the Whirl Islands to achieve Toro's goal of finding the treasure. The treasure will be divided equally amongst the crew members and can be used however the owner wishes. However most of Toro's treasure will be buried along with Razor. The required members of the ship are as follows:

-a 1st Mate
-a Quartermasters
-a Boatswains
-a Master Gunner
-5 Gunners

For reference to your position in the crew, please visit:
http://www.brethrenofthegreatlakes.com/forum/index.php?topic=72.0

The current crew members are as follows:

Captain – Toro Blaze (The1mm0rt41One)
1st Mate –
Quartermaster –
Boatswain –
Master Gunner –
Gunner –
Gunner –
Gunner –
Gunner –
Gunner –

Reserrvations:

Once you have signed up to join the crew, you are to meet the captain at "The Spotted Wingull" tavern at New Bark port. That is where Toro will be awaiting his crew. Keep in mind, this voyage is not for the faint of heart. This will be the most dangerous voyage you will ever face. After all, no Pokémon that has ever stepped foot on the island has returned. Only the strong survive here. Are you willing to put your life on the line in order to be known as one of the greatest pirates to ever sail the seas of Johto? Toro is anxious to find out.

How will this RP work?

- The story will be told in chapters. I will give a brief overview of what is happening during the time period that the chapter is in. There will be a checklist of things that will have to be done during the chapter before the next chapter begins. In the OOC thread, we as a group will decide who will do certain things. I won't force you to do certain things unless the story requires it, but you may volunteer to do one of the tasks that needs to be done.

- The routes of the Johto are all underwater and must be traveled by boat. As such, there will be a certain time period that this RP will take place on the boat when the crew is traveling. This could range anywhere from three days to a week real-time.

- In addition to the submerged routes, each town is now a port. We will be stopping at each port on our way to the Whirl Islands to get supplies and search for treasure along the way. However if you'd like to make a stop by a local tavern or brothel, no one is stopping you. Time spent at each port ranges the same amount of time as travel, three days to a week real-time.

- There is not weapons in this RP. As Pokémon have the ability to use their attacks, those will supplement the use of swords and flintlocks. The only weapon used in this RP is the cannons on the ship which are manned, or Pokémoned, by the Gunners.

- WEAPONS ARE NOW PREMITTED!!! ONLY SWORDS, NOT FIREARMS

Rules

1. Please abide to all of the PC and RP Corner rules and regulations.
2. Be friendly to each other in the OOC. I'm not about that angry life. Respect each other because PC is a nice place where we should all just get along.
3. Reservations last a maximum of 2 days unless you have a good enough reasoning for a longer one.
4. This RP is rated M. I am okay with some language. The reason I'm marking this M is because we are pirates! We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot! Plus Pokemon will die. Just try to keep your posts from being far too graphic.
5. Remember, as I am the GM, I make the final judgement on what goes through. I am still open for suggestions however. (And also bribes, hehe)

Name:
Pokémon Race:
Appearance: (Any significant differences to your characters appearance go here)
Reason for Joining the Crew: (Why is your character here? Are they after the treasure themselves? Do they want fame and glory? What's there reasoning?)
Personality: (What is your character like? Are they kind, mean, sassy, confident? What goes one in that Poké-brain of theirs? Minimum 100 words)
History: (What is your story? What was your characters life like as a child? How did you hear about the voyage to the Whirl Islands? Minimum 250 words)
Moves: (6 moves maximum. Egg moves and TM moves are A-O.K)

Example Sign Up

Name: Toro Blaze

Pokémon Race: Blaziken

Appearance: Toro looks like an average Blaziken, aside from the scars he's acquired over the years. Some notable ones include a scar over his left eye and an "R" burned into his right triceps as a symbol of him being part of the crew. For clothing, he wears only a black pirate hat that he bought on a voyage he went on in the Kanto region.

Reason for Joining the Crew: When Toro first became a member of The Revenge of the Sea, it wasn't his choice. The merchant ship who had taken him in was ravaged by the crew and they had taken Toro in as their cabin boy. Toro grew close to the captain of the vessel known solely as Razor. When the captain was killed in an attempt to take the treasure of Whirl Swamp, he bestowed the ship onto Toro who promised him he would get the treasure and bury some of it with the captain.

Personality: Toro is a strong silent type. He is known for not saying much aboard the vessel as he is too focused at the task at hand. None the less, he cares a great deal for his crew as he gets to know them. But in the beginning, expect him to come off as cold and harsh. But as time progresses, you'll started to see the brighter side of Toro. Toro is also known for his tremendous bravery and expert swordsmanship. He can weild a blade like no other. Overall, Toro is the type of person who will give his life for the better part of the crew.

History: Toro Blaze was born to the king and queen of the Blaze tribe located in the Sevii Islands. After Toro's birth, the elders of the tribe had come to a decision that Toro should be sacrificed in order to please their God's Moltres and Entei. Toro's parents did not agree to this notion and had Toro sent away on a trade's ship that was on its way to the seas of Johto. Toro was eventually found on the ship and raised by the owners of the ship. But when Toro was still at a young age, the trade's ship was attacked by pirates of The Revenge of the Sea and Toro was the only surviving member of the trade's ship. The pirates, who believed they were doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, took Toro alive and had him serve on their ship as a cabin boy. It was then when he started to develop a close bond with the captain of the ship. The captain of the ship, Razor the Kabutops, was fascinated by the story of Whirl Swamp and wanted to find the sunken treasure. So his crew set sail for the Whirl Islands with hope that they may be the first ones to ever make it out alive.

Upon reaching the island, the crew left Toro and a few other members aboard the ship while the remaining members attempted to reach the island. But the crew's failure was inevitable as they began running back to the ship. The only thing they forgot about was The Cursed Hydro. As the ship started to set sail, The Cursed Hydro chased after them. Although The Revenge of the Sea was said to be the fastest ship in Johto, the plagued crew of The Cursed Hydro managed to board The Revenge of the Sea. The cursed pirates then started to kill every member of The Revenge of the Sea. However, Toro managed to hide in a cupboard in the captain's quarters. After it had seemed they had killed every last member of the crew, they left the ship afloat in the ocean as a sign of their dominance. But what they didn't know is that one Pokémon survived, Toro. Toro climbed out of the cupboard and approached his captain. Razor bestowed the ship to him and made him captain. Toro, though still in adolescence, took the honour from his captain. His captain's dying wish was to be buried with some of the treasure from the island cavern. So Toro made a promise that he will gain some of the treasure, find his captains grave and bury some of the treasure with him.

It has been ten years since then, and Toro has been trying to get a crew together for all of those years. And after ten years, he finally has.

Moves: Blaze Kick, Thunder Punch, Slash, Crush Claw, Dynamic Punch, Sky Uppercut

ACCEPTED CHARACTERS

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
Hey there! This looks like a really interesting RP, so I thought I'd stop by and say hello :3 The idea behind the RP is very interesting to start with, and I had a character from a previous RP that I thought would fit very well into this one, given a bit of changing around.

The issue being that.. well, he was a Dewott whom, due to the setting, wielded a katana. Nothing overly huge, but one of the ones where the hilt and the sheath are basically the same long piece of wood, giving the sword no guard. There was a backstory reason for him having it too, and he basically had his moves and attack-style focused around fighting with said sword, rather than a pair of shells, which made for more interestingly varied fights, which weren't neccesarily blood (Since I made sure not to make them gory just 'cause he had a sword :P).

Now, I know you wrote that there are no weapons in the RP, but I kind of feel like I couldn't write up a good, new character for this RP, so I'm hoping that you would allow it. It's of course fair enough if you won't, but I wanted to hear what you had to say. If you need more info on the planned backstory or what I had planned with him, let me know :) I'd be happy to answer your questions!

The1mm0rt41One

Dovahkiin
Years
@Sir Bastian If you can write up a sign-up and I can see just how the katana thing works than I might be able to work some way around it. As it stands I wouldn't allow it. But I would need to see how it works. So if you write up a sign-up then I'll see what I can do. Reserved

@Alby4t5 Sure thing. Remeber reservations last 2 days. Reserved

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
Alrighty then! I'll write up an SU that should satisfy you and I'll get to work on it right away :3 A sidequestion though, I couldn't really find what species Toro is, which I'd like to know when I write up my SU!

The1mm0rt41One

Dovahkiin
Years
Oh my gosh >.< I forgot to put that in.

Toro Blaze is a Blaziken. My apologizes I will put that into the main post right away!

@Sir Bastian I have changed my mind. I think I want weapons in this RP, but just swords, not flintlocks. Anyways, carry on.

Last edited:

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
*Cough* Actually, I was talking to Alby, and I feel like Vincent (The name of the character I had in mind) just wouldn't fit in very well in this RP, so... uhm, Alby and I are making two characters with an interlocking background. Uhm, without any swords. Sorry for the previous bother :x

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
It's no issue. You may have swords if you wish, I think I'd like the use of them in this RP as oppose to solely using moves.

Sounds great! I can imagine alot of fun can be had with swords :3 And it only makes sense that they would invent weapons for the physically weaker Pokémon to use to gain an EDGE in battle. And yes, that pun was my doing.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
Aaaand here's my SU! Sorry it took a little longer than expected, but do let me know if you have any questions, want me to change anything or... well, anything :3

Also, let me know if the colour for the header is too... sharp. I don't want to hurt anybody's eyes when reading my posts :P

678-female.png
Eliza Minette - New Bark Port

Name: Eliza Minette

Pokémon Race: Meowstic

Appearance: Aside from looking like a typical white and dark-blue, female Meowstic, Eliza keeps a midnight-blue sash wrapped around her waist with a few pouches and occasionally a small bag hanging from it. Aside from this, she makes sure to keep her fur nice and fluffy-looking, despite travelling around a lot.

Reason for Joining the Crew: After hearing about Toro's venture to the Whirl Islands, Eliza felt unable to pass up the chance at retrieving the legendary treasure hidden within the islands. Not to mention possibly picking up a bounty or two on the way. Ultimately, she wants enough money to buy herself a mansion, or at the very least, a very large ship.

Personality: Eliza doesn't like trusting others, at least not at first. Once you get to know her, she'll slowly evaluate you and your ways of acting around her and will eventually deem you a threat or not. Despite being very suspicious at heart, Eliza isn't all business and no pleasure. She enjoys a drink as much as the next person, and she very much enjoys having fun, although she never seems to lose sight of the possible dangers around her, and her idea of having fun, could just as easily be innocently listening to music, as it could be toying with or tricking someone else. She can be very fickle and seem very arrogant at times, but deep down, she cares a lot for those who have earned her trust.

History: Growing up as the daughter of a trader was very nice, compared to how most kids grew up in this water-filled region. Eliza's mother owned several ships that made a living off of transporting, buying and selling goods all across the region, and at the very top of it all, was Eliza's mother. Also a Meowstic, Eliza's mother cared greatly for her daughter, despite her father having disappeared very early on in her childhood, according to her mother. Eliza was happy, though, because of her mother constantly caring for her.

As she grew up, the young Espurr was taught very thoroughly, her mother believing that one should be able to both read, write, count as well as the more well-guarded tricks of the trade. Eliza was thus taught everything her mother knew, groomed to take over the business once her mother had made enough money to retire.

However, that day came a lot sooner than expected. During a trip to the north-eastern edge of the region, Eliza's mother's ship was attacked by pirates, the crew killed and the ship burned down. A messenger had brought Eliza the news, quickly followed by the news that the remaining few ships in her mother's little fleet had suffered similar attacks. Now sitting in the town of Ecruteak with the remains of the family's coins and a small house to her name, Eliza wanted revenge for her deceased family. Her mother had, amongst other things, trained the young girl to fight with her natural, Psychic abilities, but her skills were still lacking. Spending the remainder of their money, Eliza hired instructors to teach her how to fight, both offensively and defensively, in order to prepare her for the life she was ready to undertake to get what she wanted.

Only a few years later, Eliza had established a slight name to herself, as a bounty hunter, sailing around the region and taking out marauders and pirates to make enough money to get by. During one particular hunt, she bumped heads with a Scizor named Lydia Branda, who was apparently after the exact same bounty as her. After a brief argument and a scuffle over who was going to take the prize with them, the two realized one another's qualities and decided to work together from there on out. They would hunt a couple of bounties together, split up for a while and meet to go hunt once again, having been doing so for a while now, to the point of them knowing each others' weaknesses and strengths and clearly enjoying their partnership.

Recently, however, they've heard rumors of a daredevil captain deciding to make his trip towards Whirl Islands. Most people hearing of this turned away and laughed at the gall and stupidity this man had, thinking he could conquer the islands, but Eliza and Lydia had had their eyes on this prize for a while now, and something about the sound of this guy was just too… interesting to pass up. They're now both headed for the New Bark Port, in order to sign onto his ship, if only for the time being.

Moves: Psychic, Charge Beam, Protect, Psybeam, Attract, Substitute

Last edited:

The1mm0rt41One

Dovahkiin
Years
@<Challenger> I'll reserve you for now. Keep in kind that reservations are 2 days in length Reserved

@Sir Bastian You are ACCEPTED I will place you on the accepted players list and we will work out your position on the crew later

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
Years
Putting this here

Name: Jack "Black-Fire" Shaw
Pokémon Race: Infernape
Appearance:
Spoiler:

Reason for Joining the Crew: Jack signed up for the crew with one particular purpose: Adventure. Jack, as eccentric as he is, looks forward to spending the money he earns on a massive house in the middle of nowhere and all sorts of exotic decorations.

Personality: Jack is the very definition of eccentric. He could be described as crazy, kind, excitable, and serious, all in the same day. Shaw doesn't necessarily have multiple personalities, but his mood is always in flux. There are few things that never change with this man, though.

Jack is always kind, making sure never to offend anybody unless they know he is joking. People tend to think that he is only deceiving them, waiting only to take advantage of them the next day, but he would never dream of such a thing. The man's honor is to be accepted without a question. He will never take advantage of someone, fight someone who cannot defend themselves, or betray a friend. He frowns upon such things. Another thing that never changes is his ravenous consumption of alcohol. Jack loves to party and have fun more than anything. He'll be the first to lead a roaring drinking song or bust open a new keg.

Although he is generally a light-hearted soul, he can be dead serious. Jack will be the first to punch a person who would do so much as lay a finger on a friend.

History: (What is your story? What was your characters life like as a child? How did you hear about the voyage to the Whirl Islands? Minimum 250 words)

Moves: Mach Punch, Thunder Punch, Flare Blitz, Fire Punch, Close Combat, Flamethrower

Last edited:

GastlyGibus

I'm battin' a thousand!
Years
Alright, here's mine. If there are any issues, let me know and I'll correct them ASAP. :P

*****​

Name: Leo Riley

Pokémon Race: Wartortle

Appearance:
Leo stands slightly taller than average for his species at 3'07". His shell is slightly scratched from the numerous brawls and fights he's gotten himself into. In addition, his shell is also adorned with various markings, similar to tattoos.

Reason for Joining the Crew:
While gold, treasure, and riches are all well and good for Leo, it's the thrill and sense of adventure that led to him seeking after Toro's crew. Going after the famed treasure of the Whirl Islands once was bold. For someone to go after it again after having failed once before, that took guts, and it presented a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for Leo.

Personality:
Cocky, ambitious, wild; Leo has been called many things over his life. He is an adventurer at heart, taking up the lifestyle he has simply for the thrill and excitement it offers.

With a sharp wit and an even sharper tongue, Leo can come across as arrogant and vain at first. He's not afraid to speak his mind, always cracking wise and offering snappy comebacks, which often gets him into trouble. Because of this, many people don't take him seriously, seeing him as a carefree and impulsive young outlaw.

However, it's not always fun and games for Leo. Despite his reputation as a ruffian and a pirate, he has a certain sense of justice that guides him. He can't stand to see people being abused or mistreated, especially when they have no means to defend themselves. He is quick to rise to the defense of others, even if it means endangering his own life. When it comes to his friends, he is fiercely loyal, and will do whatever it takes to protect them.

History:

Leo grew up in Olivine city to a family of merchants. Although they made enough to support themselves, they were still considered a lower class family. Regardless of their financial woes, Leo's parents were an optimistic bunch, always making the best out of situations, which in turn rubbed off on Leo.

Content as they were, Leo couldn't help but yearn for more. Living in Olivine city, Leo was always enthralled by the stories the sailors had to share during their visits. Tales of adventure, fantastic voyages, fierce battles; it sparked a desire in Leo that could never be quenched. When he was 18 years of age, he had left his family to pursue his dreams, promising them he would one day return with a fortune to bring them out of poverty.

He made a living as a mercenary, joining up with various different crews, never settling with any particular captain or ship. He made decent money, more than he had ever seen living back home, but the life of adventure never ceased to call on him. He had made a reputation as a skilled fighter and a slippery trickster during his travels, narrowly avoiding several run-ins with the law. True, Leo was a pirate of sorts, but he never preyed on the weak, only targeting those whom he deemed "corrupt" or "evil."

Throughout his travels, he had heard numerous rumors about all manner of hidden treasures and ancient sea monsters, but one legend persisted among them: the tale of Captain Whirl Swamp. The story went that a Swampert captain has amassed a huge fortune, and had been killed during a voyage to the unknown archipelago which had come to be called "The Whirl Islands." Doing some digging of his own, Leo had heard of a captain named Toro Blaze, who had once made a failed trip to the Whirl Islands and survived, and who was now planning a second voyage to discover the treasure. While many pirates and explorers had lost their lives chasing the legend, Leo couldn't help but feel compelled to join him. Once he heard that Toro was assembling a crew for his second voyage, Leo jumped at the opportunity, confident that they would be successful.

Moves: Aqua Tail, Iron Defense, Rapid Spin, Surf, Skull Bash, Mist.

*****​

Sorry, no fancy formatting. I don't know how to do that yet... >_>

Last edited:

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 1, 2023
Eh... well you can say inspiration hit me hard and I came up with this guy. He's rather different than my other characters that's for sure, but I hope that he can fit in well enough. Yes it is long, I hope that isn't a problem.

Spoiler:

Back