• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hikari's English Name Revealed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
Years
  • Reposting from another Pokemon site I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention (I posted it originally there too =D)

http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/pokemon/index.html

Click Characters Tab, Her Name is Dawn o.o

First Episodes Revealed Too...

1. Following a Maiden Voyage!
    2. Two Degrees of Separation!
    3. When Pokemon Worlds Collide!
    4. Dawn of a New Era!
    5. Gettin' Twiggy With It!

In the Episode Summaries, Shinji was confirmed to be named Paul, and Nando is the name of the trainer with the budew/roselia that battles dawn first.

Last edited:

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
  • Dawn.. *dies* That's a little let down after I was building up Hikari and all. Oh well, they could have made it worse, I just hope they get a good voice for her.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    I like it... And the new episode titles aren't any better or worse than the last season. Bad puns galore!

Years
  • Um, A) if we're focusing Hikari, that really belongs in the Pokemon General section and B) we have a upcoming Dub Episode Title thread. I was going to post it and you beat me to it. So, for now, I'm debating what to do with this. It will be open, just don't know what to do it.

Still, I hate the final title. Headdesk.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Well, since it was a general anime info, and episode titles, I figured it'd fit in best with the TV shows forums <.<

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It could be worse actually.
    Dawn is kinda pretty, in my opinion.

It sure is better then Solidad, or whatever Soari's dub name was... x__x

.Bastion

O a t h k e e p e r
    Years
  • I agree with Drew. Dawn is actually pretty cool. I may be wrong but doesn't the name Hikari mean 'light'? Then Dawn makes perfect sense. I think it flows with her pretty well.

Paul on the other hand could've been a bit better. Shinji actually could've worked IMO, but I tend to not harp on names because eventually I get used to them anyway.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    It'll sound like 'Don' when they say it... which is my grandpa's name.. D:
    Hikari shall forever remind me of my grandpa when I watch the dub. xD

Years
  • I like it. Dawn is a pretty name. I'm just really happy they didn't do some totally weird name, like what they did with Saori... so sad. xD

Eh, Paul's an ok name, I guess. No worse than 'Ash', imo. xD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Dawn? I suppose it could have been worse. But I dont really think it'll fit in well.

I prefer Hikari, it would have good if the dub name was just Kari. xD that's just IMO~

Dee Trier

Drageon The Dragon Type Eevee
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Feb 19, 2010
    Even I like the word "dawn" (I use that as mystery dungeon team name) I just don't think it's suitable for a girl name....

It just because i know the japanese name earlier or the 4rd gen related englsih name are worse than japanese in general?

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Hikari means light. And Dawn? Somehow suits the Japanese name. But not a good name

Years
  • John, the character names like Dawn and Paul are usually anime-specific, so the topic is still suitable to this anime forum.

I know, but it's more the "I got beaten to it to post". Of course, I just found out and was about to, but someone beat me to it. Ah, well. On the plus side, that forever summed things up.

Moving on, I have a Paul joke from MST3K, but my brain has gone away. I'll repost it later as the thread is getting major traction.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
  • I'm really pissed off that they named Shinji Paul because he doesn't look like one, nor does the name suit him. It's sooo plain and boring.
    ... but now that I think about it, isn't that super popular Beatle member named Paul too?
    Should I be disgusted or honored?

Hikari, I dont really like Dawn for her because whenever I read Dawn, I read the Dawn from the Baby-Sitters Club. I wonder what Jedi Amara will think of this since I see her on the BSC livejournal community a lot.
    So until Hikari dies her hair blond and wears casual 80s clothes, she's Hikari for me and not Dawn.
    Hikari's not Dawn. Dawn's not Hikari. If anything, I think Misty would be more suited for the name Dawn than Hikari because Misty is pretty similar to this girl.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back