• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hikari's English Name Revealed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taemin

move.
Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    D: I agree, Shinji doesn't look like a Paul.. at all.
    I like Hikari being called Dawn, better then I like Shinji being called Paul...
    and I muchly dislike the whole 'Dawn' thing.

But, like I said, Dawn could be worse...
    Not too sure that 'Paul' could be though.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
  • I like the name Dawn. It sounds really pretty just like her. I kinda saw that name coming since I heard that Hikari means light in Japanese and I heard about the M thing with Misty and May but how they like to translate the girl's name to something that is similar to what their meaning is. Like I heard Misty's Japanese name means something like mist and like May's Japanese name means spring so when I heard Hikari's name meaning light the idea of dawn came to me for a little bit. It was kinda hard to think of a name that means light and starts with an M.

Paul? Okies. Can somebody explains where that name came from? It makes no sense to me. Still it kinda like Ash's name because I never got where they got him first name from.

The names are okies. I mean they are not the best but to me they are much better the the 4Kids dub names which always were horrible puns on pokemon names. I like it better that they are making puns of the character names. My fave of the five are the last two. The last one makes me laugh when I say it a loud. Teeheehee. Twiggy.

Years
  • There is something that Dogasu said on his site this morning.

Now I understand that these are main characters and that people have wanted to know their names for a while now, but this isn't exactly front page news, people. There's an eight page thread on Bulbagarden and an eleven page thread on Serebii...doesn't that seem a bit excessive? Is the drought for new things to talk about THAT severe?

I know this will sound ridiculous coming from a 24-year old webmaster of a Pokemon fansite, but...get a life, people.

Considering we have 25+ posts so far, I rather agree. Heh. But I kid of course (mostly). Either way, April 22nd won't come too soon for me.

Unown_

Sep.2003 - Mar.2010. Resigned
    Years
  • I don't if it is true that "haru" means "spring". What I do know is that "Haruka" means "far away". Source:
    https://www.cojak.org/index.php?function=kJapaneseKun_lookup&term=haruka
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haruka
    https://www.freedict.com/onldict/jap.html (under "Japanese to English Dictionary" fill in "Haruka" press "Search"

To be more on topic, Dawn is okay I guess. It's not terrible. As for Paul... with all the weird names like Solidad, Saridaki or Galea you would think PUSA would give Shinji a less "normal" name.

gilbertman

Where am I?
    Years
  • Well the names could be better but then again it could be worse, but hey to me the names don't really matter too much, I mean it's just a way to identify someone, I mean their names aren't going to change who they are or what they look like they'll still have the same personalities and such I think it was said best in Romeo and Juliet:
    "What 's in a name? That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

same can be said about characters too.

dannichols

A Theodore Tugboat Fan
    Years
  • Okay, I have to say Dawn is an unusual name for a girl, but, oh well. I think I may get used to it and I'm noit going to complain about her name, but what's her mother's english name is going to be?

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    Reposting from another Pokemon site I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention (I posted it originally there too =D)

https://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/pokemon/index.html

Click Characters Tab, Her Name is Dawn o.o

First Episodes Revealed Too...

1. Following a Maiden Voyage!
    2. Two Degrees of Separation!
    3. When Pokemon Worlds Collide!
    4. Dawn of a New Era!
    5. Gettin' Twiggy With It!

In the Episode Summaries, Shinji was confirmed to be named Paul, and Nando is the name of the trainer with the budew/roselia that battles dawn first.
    and www.seribii.net has that information too :)
    dawn isnt all that bad , im actually starting to grow to it , (notice my new avaytar/ banner )

Last edited:

Animehero

Elite PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • She messed up the whole "M" thing. Every femal traveling partner Ash had, had a name that started with M! Now Dawn comes along and messes it up! 10 years of "Mnes" down the drain...

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • She messed up the whole "M" thing. Every femal traveling partner Ash had, had a name that started with M! Now Dawn comes along and messes it up! 10 years of "Mnes" down the drain...

The fact that Ash has only travelled with two female characters kinda doesnt really create a pattern.

Years
  • I like the name Dawn, I haven't really seen any episodes with her except for the first two eps, but it seems to fit her.

As for Paul...I'm not really feeling it, but who knows maybe when I hear them call him that in the dub, I'll get a liking to it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2008
    Dawn's...not really that bad of a name/translation, really. I mean, I will always prefer the Japanese names to the English ones, but if they're trying to maintain the whole "light" theme in the dub then it's probably the best they could really come up with. Mmm. They could've gone with something else, I guess, but there would just be complaints about that. XP. I don't think it's possible to satisfy the sub-watchers as a whole with one name.

Years
  • I think we went as far as we could with this. But I'll wait til the "special movie" next week airs and then lock this. 41 replies, wow. We really are bored. Heh.

Myzou

Lost and Confused xD
    Years
  • Okay, I have to say Dawn is an unusual name for a girl, but, oh well. I think I may get used to it and I'm noit going to complain about her name, but what's her mother's english name is going to be?

I'm guessing you don't live in the US? It's a very common name for girls, my best friend is named Dawn...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back