~ A FireRed ROM
This tutorial will teach you how to edit the four default options for names for your RIVAL at the beginning of the game. You know, the GREEN, GARY, KAZ, TORU part? Yeah. Editing those four names.
1. Load your ROM in A-Text and open the Search Tool.
2. In the left textbox, enter your RIVAL's first name - GREEN (make sure it's in capital letters.)2a. Yeah, for Green, Green Path/Pattern Bush will appear. We don't want that, though, do we? Nope. So we click the Resume button twice. Now back to step 3...3. Once you've found the correct piece of text, click WRITE TO INI.
4. In the first textbox, type in, for example, Naming. Then, in the second one, entitled: Text Name (Enter), type in the name that you are editing (i.e. GREEN).
5. Repeat the above processes for the rest of the names (GARY, KAZ, TORU), but this time ignore step 2a.
6. Load your ROM in VBA and test it out! Here's my output from Kyanpu, my hack:
2a. Yeah, for Green, Green Path/Pattern Bush will appear. We don't want that, though, do we? Nope. So we click the Resume button twice. Now back to step 3...
~ A FireRed ROM
This tutorial will teach you how to edit the thirty-seven default names for the player - the ones you get if your say you've finished inputting your name and you've really just left it blank. Really, this is more of a resource than anything.
1. Repeat the steps done in the above tutorial, however, instead of just searching for the four default names (GREEN, GARY, KAZ and TORU), search for the thirty-seven(?) different names that the male and female character has, combined.
2. The list is as follows: HINT: If, for example, you have to scour through many different results with the same word/name in as the name you are trying to edit, go for the ones who's offsets begin with 1857.
GIRL FIRE (Same as Boy, I presume)
RED (Same as Boy, I presume)
7a. If you edit the L/R part, remeber to shorten it to two lines of length. For some reason, if you just keep it as a three-liner, it put the red-arrow thing after the text, and you can't view anymore of it. I shortened it to say:
If you need help playing the game, push the A or S keys.
- 1695 - Bag (Male)
- 1696 - Bag (Female)
- 2009 - Titlescreen Text - Pokémon FireRed Version
- 2011 - Charizard (Titlescreen)
- 2013 - Press Start, (C) 2004 GAMEFREAK
- 191 - Worldmap -gulp-