• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Medicinal Advice?

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
  • I'm sorry, I know the illness is probably making you very irritable and paranoid, and I don't want to sound like a jerk, but here's the bottom line: You should just suck it up and see a doctor. All your symptoms sound very serious. Unless you want to die or be seriously injured, you should get the opinion that matters.

You say that you have no allergies, but an allergy can disappear or crop up at any time. You never know for sure unless you talk to a doctor. It's much better than making a thread about on a Pokémon forums, and getting answers from people who have little to no medical experience, then outright denying those answers anyway. It doesn't matter that you hate doctors. The pain (or whatever it causes you) of being around a doctor only lasts a little while, however if your condition persists you have much more physical pain to look to in the future, along with what you've already been prolonging. Doctors can help you. We cannot, either that or you will not let us do so.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I know that this is not my place to ask but i have a few other points i want to make but they will only be valid if i get a certian answer from you.

So the question is... what year were you born?

Anyway one point i can make without this knowledge is this.

If you get sicker and continue to refuse medical help, and a person does call for a ambulence you MAY in theory be forced to receive medical attention. In some places you can be forced to receive medical attention if the doctors deem your condition dangerous enough to warrent it.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
  • Taken from the back of my Strepsils packet: Each lozenge contains: A combination of 2 antiseptics to fight the infections which can cause sore throats and mouth infections.

I've taken almost two whole packets since I've fell down with this and well, they really haven't helped at all. Not with any symptom. Again, I've tried some tablets and again, they've had no effect. Forget about tablets, I've taken some to know they don't work. Your right if I had a headache or a common cold, no problem there but unfortunately, my throat is the culprit and the virus prevents any medication from working.
    And now the bigger picture starts to unfold. Antiseptics are numbing agents, not anti-biotics. The fact that you don't understand the stuff you are saying speaks more words than all you have said so far. If are as sick as you say you are, you need help.

On top of that, you earlier said you were convinced that you had conjunctivitis yet now you are saying your throat is the culprit. Also, there is no such think as stopsmedicinefromworkingitis. I am now convinced that Mr.X is correct.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I read up to where you said you have conjunctivitis/pink eye. I've had it before, go to your nearest pharmacist and tell them it's what you have and they'll give you some eye drops which will work wonders for you.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • When i saw antiseptics the only thing i could think of if the stuff they put in spetic tanks lol.

Anyway i am going to take shots on both sides now. It is possiable that the medication does not work. Its called, the virus just mutated into a stronger virus.

but really... If the OTC medication (Or even the UTC medication) has no effect then it is time to go to the doctors to get some stronger stuff.

Also... you've taken... some? In some cases with medication (And prescribed medication) it does take time for the medication to take affect.

Edit - also switchback... i've decided to make a comment about your response to a earlier post that i made.

If i was as sick as you you know what i would do? I would quit being emo about the whole thing and get some proffesional help.

Anyway the last thing i will say in this post is that... really... just grow up and get over your childish fears.

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • tl;dr, but viruses don't stop medication from working. It's just that a virus can never leave your body, which may or may not be a bad thing. You can cure the ailment and still have a virus hanging out in you, doing nothing.

Years
  • Before anyone spouts "Go to a doctor, stop wasting our time." I have my reasons for doing this, another factor on top of the fact that I hate doctors.
    Do NOT seek medical advice on the internet. There is no rational excuse to do it. Many of us hate them, so don't be a wimp and go see a doctor. That's about the best advice I can possibly give you.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
  • So essentially, you're all saying that I'm a liar and that I'm scared to go to the doctors, which is the most ridiculous thing I've heard so far. I understand where you're coming from, I'm sick, I should go. However, I'm in a situation where doing so makes it difficult which I haven't explained fully in the thread, granted. Maybe because it's personal and I like to keep to myself. Regardless, I suppose your looking out for my best interests or maybe you all just don't give a damn. I'm fine about that, even if you think I'm being "emo" about the whole situation which in itself if stupid.

All I asked for is a way to relieve the pain because tablets and such don't seem to cut it at all. I didn't ask for advice on what would be best for me in the end, I understand where you're all coming from, but in the end I can't go because of certain circumstances which make it difficult. It's in no way because I'm "scared," far from it. Anyway, I realise yes I may sound cold and if I offended you, then I'm used to it. Apparently I "scare" quite a few people. Yes, I understand I shouldn't seek medical help over the internet but people seem to know the best alternative medicine, that's why I asked.

Whatever you think, if you've come to nag at me then ignore this thread completely like it was never here and I'll suffer in silence. As for my age, all I can say is stop treating me like a 5 year old. I have my reasons, however "emo" I may seem about them. People do have problems, not everything is a ray of sunshine like some peoples lives. No matter how many times you tell me to see a doctor, which I knew I should have done from the start, will actually make it happen.

Thank you anyway for looking out for me, even if your just telling me the same thing over and over which I can't do. Not won't. Yes I hate doctors but I never said I feared them. Don't assume things which are completely unfounded. Again, to everyone who suggested help, thank you. Now if everyone has nothing better to do but tell me what I should be doing, then don't bother replying anymore, it's simply not helping.

Years
  • Switchback, ignore the idiots that are calling you a lier.

It seems to me, from a quick read, that you have a Riboflavin B2 deficiency. Now, you don't have all of the symptoms, unless you aren't telling us all of them, because some can be embarrassing.
    I don't know the reason for the hatred of doctors, but I think you need to seriously consider, is it a bit enough fear to risk pain and suffering?
    Surly no fear can be that great? That is just me though.

If I was you, and it is easy for me to say, I would maybe ring up the NHS (If you live in England) or a hospital. That way, there is no physical contact. Get some advice and tell them your situation. You won't be the only one to have this phobia.

Hope this helps.
    Let me know how it goes?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • So essentially, you're all saying that I'm a liar and that I'm scared to go to the doctors, which is the most ridiculous thing I've heard so far. I understand where you're coming from, I'm sick, I should go. However, I'm in a situation where doing so makes it difficult which I haven't explained fully in the thread, granted. Maybe because it's personal and I like to keep to myself. Regardless, I suppose your looking out for my best interests or maybe you all just don't give a damn. I'm fine about that, even if you think I'm being "emo" about the whole situation which in itself if stupid.

Ok then... explain the situation to us and we might change our opinions a bit.

All I asked for is a way to relieve the pain because tablets and such don't seem to cut it at all. I didn't ask for advice on what would be best for me in the end, I understand where you're all coming from, but in the end I can't go because of certain circumstances which make it difficult. It's in no way because I'm "scared," far from it. Anyway, I realise yes I may sound cold and if I offended you, then I'm used to it. Apparently I "scare" quite a few people. Yes, I understand I shouldn't seek medical help over the internet but people seem to know the best alternative medicine, that's why I asked.

You asked for a way to releive pain and we told you. Its called going to the doctor's and getting the proper medical dignosis and proper the proper medication(s) for your troubles.

And if you understand that you shouldn't then why are you doing it? You don't know what you got, I don't know what you got so why not talk to a medical professional about it? And there is no alternate to having to go to the doctor. Its a fact of life that you must go to the doctor some times.

Whatever you think, if you've come to nag at me then ignore this thread completely like it was never here and I'll suffer in silence. As for my age, all I can say is stop treating me like a 5 year old. I have my reasons, however "emo" I may seem about them. People do have problems, not everything is a ray of sunshine like some peoples lives. No matter how many times you tell me to see a doctor, which I knew I should have done from the start, will actually make it happen.

I'l stop treating you like a little kid as soon as you stop acting like one. And yet again, please, state these reasons of yours that are so important that you are putting you health and the health of those around you at risk.

Thank you anyway for looking out for me, even if your just telling me the same thing over and over which I can't do. Not won't. Yes I hate doctors but I never said I feared them. Don't assume things which are completely unfounded. Again, to everyone who suggested help, thank you. Now if everyone has nothing better to do but tell me what I should be doing, then don't bother replying anymore, it's simply not helping.

There IS no can't. Only won't. And we have offered you help. Its called stop posting on a pokemon forum about medical advice and seek professional help.
    And how can we help you if you refuse to help yourself?

I'll restate the opinion of most of the more intelligent members who have posted on this thread. GET SOME PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL HELP

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    tl;dr

Oh wow. Check out all the e-doctors armed with the power of Google. Seriously, if you want advice- taking advice from a bunch of teenagers who accomplished Biology in High school is not the way to go.

Your symptoms could be anything and until it's found out, you can't just use random meds to combat it. Professionals also are able to do a simple test for the most common/susceptible infections.

If you're truly in agony, an over the counter ibuprofen or paracetemol will relieve the pain from inflammation and possibly reduce a fever (if one is present), this will manage symptoms if it is infectious, but not control it.
    Also 'alternative medicine' is named 'alternative' as beneficial effects (besides placebo) have been unproven, stick with real medicine and treatment or don't bother.

Also it's hugely unlikely you have a B2 deficiency unless you're a raging alcoholic or you live in the third world. Ignore that BS.
    Finally, no one suggested Strep throat despite the age? Shame on you all. If it clears up about 5days from the start though...

Do NOT seek medical advice on the internet. There is no rational excuse to do it. Many of us hate them, so don't be a wimp and go see a doctor. That's about the best advice I can possibly give you.
    ^ Probably the only sensible post I've seen here. Doctors don't hate you back, they're just doing their job. Even if the symptoms go, it doesn't mean that you're in the clear as infections can still carry.

<--- btw I'm a med student and I gave you about as much useful advice you can find on a cereal box.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
  • Jaimes, did you read what I put before? I'm not even going to bother repeating myself. Anyway, I know what I have now and I won't see a doctor. No one seems to be listening to me so I'm going to ask if a mod could please lock this thread because I feel like I've put up with this long enough. I understand what everyone is getting at but I didn't ask for your opinion about going to the doctors ect. Overall this is just making me feel worse and I don't appreciate being falsely accused of things which are completly unfounded. I asked for advice on here because it's a community, people might have been able to suggest ways to help ease my pain without the use of medicine based products.

Apparently I was wrong. If anything I've simply been chastised and accused of things wrongly, some immature enough to even take it to another level. If you don't agree with me, then you could have simply ignored this thread. The fact that you didn't and took your time to rant on me is immature in itself, don't you think?

I realise I may be acting quite cold, but if you were feeling and recieving this sort of dare I say it, abuse, wouldn't you? I never wanted this. I don't want this. So I'm going to ask a mod to please close this.

Again, thank you to those who actually gave me things to try that helped me, you've all been wonderful. As for the people who did nothing but accuse me and tell me the same thing over and over again in which I had personal reasons not to do, I hope you enjoyed whatever perverse pleasure you got out of this and I hope you're happy now. If anything, you've simply not helped at all.

Back