• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Medicinal Advice?

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    I didn't really want to start a new thread for this... But I feel it's out of place in the Problem and Chit Chat threads. I'm really sick at the moment, throat is in agony simply to swallow and my eyes are watering and extremely bloodshot. I look like a turning infected from 28 Days Later, no exaggeration at all. The stems have even reached to my iris and split around it. Appears to be some sort of Viral infection but I can safely tell you that I am in agony and the little 2-3 hours sleep I normally obtain has been lost completely. I haven't slept in days. Does anyone have any idea to what is plaguing my body to make me suffer?

Before anyone spouts "Go to a doctor, stop wasting our time." I have my reasons for doing this, another factor on top of the fact that I hate doctors. Also, I don't take tablets. Paracetamol ect, I avoid as much as possible, so please don't suggest them. I'm already taking Strepsils for my throat but if anyone has any old remedies that they think might help my throat, head, or make me drowzy enough to sleep and relieve me of this absolutely agonizing pain if only for a short time I will be... indescribably grateful.

I normally never stoop this low to get advice but its come to the point where I simply can't ignore it anymore, my body simply aches too much. Also, please take this seriously. This isn't a cry for help, or attention, I'm simply asking for a mature person to give their opinion and maybe help remedy this or at least aid me to relieve the pain.

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
    I don't know of any "old remedies", but I'll look up your symptoms and see what comes up.

Insomnia, Sore throat and bloodshot eyes?
    Judging by a little googling and a few minutes of reading things, I've come to the conclusion that it could be: Vitamin B2 Deficiency.
    Please note that I am no doctor, medical employee, and I am in no way an official source for any medical information. This is just my guess, please do not take it too seriously.

If you want more info on B2 Deficiency, google it. It lists those as symptoms.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    ...I really, reallly wanna tell you to just suck it up and go to a doctor. Hate 'em all you want but they're there to help. If you can't/won't swallow pills, they can give other methods. Alternatively you could see if your pharmacist can suggest anything but you should probably get a proper diagnosis.

That aside, what's best right now is probably rest so I'd concentrate on just trying to get some sleep. Make sure you're in a (preferably dark) room with no distractions, no noises, etc. Try having a warm drink like hot chocolate or tea before you try to sleep. Cut out caffeine completely for the next little while. You should go to a doctor to ask for look up some sleeping tips in general since it sounds like your sleep habits aren't that great to begin with and this is only making it worse. :(

Remember, even if it doesn't *feel* like you're getting any rest, you are and that's still probably a lot better than being on the computer where your mind is actively taking in information the whole time. Sign off and read a book or something instead.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Well, if you can't see a doctor, there's really not much you can do. It IS a viral infection, meaning antibiotics are useless and they probably tell you the exact same thing - a waste of time and money. Wade it out, even though it's horrible, but if you start to get very high fevers, have difficulty breathing or anything else life threatening go right to a hospital. They won't be able to cure the illness but they're prevent you from getting worse.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    I don't know of any "old remedies", but I'll look up your symptoms and see what comes up.

Insomnia, Sore throat and bloodshot eyes?
    Judging by a little googling and a few minutes of reading things, I've come to the conclusion that it could be: Vitamin B2 Deficiency.
    Please note that I am no doctor, medical employee, and I am in no way an official source for any medical information. This is just my guess, please do not take it too seriously.

If you want more info on B2 Deficiency, google it. It lists those as symptoms.

Thanks, I looked it up but it's not the culprit it seems. The food that the vitamin is found in, such as apples and vegetables, I eat as part of my normal diet so it couldn't be that. Plus some of the deficiency signals such as cracked lips ect I don't have. I really appreciate you trying though, thanks.

Lightning said:
    ...I really, reallly wanna tell you to just suck it up and go to a doctor. Hate 'em all you want but they're there to help. If you can't/won't swallow pills, they can give other methods. Alternatively you could see if your pharmacist can suggest anything but you should probably get a proper diagnosis.

I obviously know this, it's the first thing that comes to anyone's head when they're sick but like I said, I have my reasons. I'm not being a stubborn child simply not going because they don't want or feel like it. Plus you try having what I have and "sucking up" to it. Trust me, I hardly if ever complain when I'm sick. I brush it off, even when I've collapsed before. I don't like gaining attention or wanting others to worry about me but this...

Lightning said:
    That aside, what's best right now is probably rest so I'd concentrate on just trying to get some sleep. Make sure you're in a (preferably dark) room with no distractions, no noises, etc. Try having a warm drink like hot chocolate or tea before you try to sleep. Cut out caffeine completely for the next little while. You should go to a doctor to ask for look up some sleeping tips in general since it sounds like your sleep habits aren't that great to begin with and this is only making it worse. :(

Already tried that days ago, I've avoided coffee for weeks so that isn't an issue here. I can barely lie down, I'm wracked with pain. It's throbbing even as I type this, I end up coughing anyway and having to get up because I start dry heaving. I am drinking Lucozade though, don't know if this affects it at all.

Lightning said:
    Remember, even if it doesn't *feel* like you're getting any rest, you are and that's still probably a lot better than being on the computer where your mind is actively taking in information the whole time. Sign off and read a book or something instead.

Tried yesterday, I've been on and off here because I can't sleep and this is a sort of distraction. Reading a book, I can barely focus on the words of any page, including this one. Thank you for your help though.

Maybe I should list in more detail what I'm going through. Well, first, my eyes water. Constantly, I'm having to wipe them so much that it feels like I'm rubbing sandpaper over them, they're extremely sore. The skin on my fingers are dry and split, painful to flex them. My throat is very painful to swallow and I'm having to breathe consciously and deeply, if quite rapidly to focus and stop myself feeling as nauseous. This also however irritates my throat. I get jolting pains in my legs, a little like muscle cramp and my bones just feel like they're aching. Lastly, if I start coughing, I now start to dry heave which I didn't do a few days ago when this was starting to get to the stage that it's at now.

Thanks again for all your help though, I appreciate all and any of it.

Edit:
    Well, if you can't see a doctor, there's really not much you can do. It IS a viral infection, meaning antibiotics are useless and they probably tell you the exact same thing - a waste of time and money. Wade it out, even though it's horrible, but if you start to get very high fevers, have difficulty breathing or anything else life threatening go right to a hospital. They won't be able to cure the illness but they're prevent you from getting worse.

I hope it doesn't come to that but I'll keep it in mind, if my breathing becomes worse I'll seek professional help. I'm sure it's a viral infection, the Strepsils are doing nothing for my throat, hardly feels like they've made any difference at all. Temperature is a little high but not too high I don't think, so I'm safe in that aspect for now. Thank you.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    Is it possible that you have hayfever or another airbourne allergy? Because a lot of your symptoms of sore eyes and a scratchy throat are indicative of airbourne allergies.

As for your general body pain, there are a lot of viral infections going around that can cause those, and if they persist for longer than 7 days, it's advisable to go to your doctor just to get looked at. I know you don't want to go, but it's best to get it done and get feeling better.

Source: I've had severe hayfever and dust allergies my entire life, my mum is a nurse and I've just recently recovered from a viral & bacterial infection myself.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
    You're alot like me. XD I hate doctors too and I also hate taking pills too. I always try to find liquid to help though, maybe you could try that? The only problem is, I don't think it comes in adult form as far as the pain reliever stuff goes. :/

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Maybe I should list in more detail what I'm going through. Well, first, my eyes water. Constantly, I'm having to wipe them so much that it feels like I'm rubbing sandpaper over them, they're extremely sore. The skin on my fingers are dry and split, painful to flex them. My throat is very painful to swallow and I'm having to breathe consciously and deeply, if quite rapidly to focus and stop myself feeling as nauseous. This also however irritates my throat. I get jolting pains in my legs, a little like muscle cramp and my bones just feel like they're aching. Lastly, if I start coughing, I now start to dry heave which I didn't do a few days ago when this was starting to get to the stage that it's at now.

Ok, well, let's take a quick glance at your sysmptoms. You're saying that you're eyes are hurting and watering - that's often a reaction to hayfever, an allergy, or more commonly, a cold or flu. Alternatively, it could just be because you're not sleeping. You have a sore throat, you feel sick, you're aching and stiff and you're dry heaving a bit. To me, that honestly just sounds like a bad flu. However, at present, anything that could be a 'bad flu' could also be the dreaded 'swine flu' and so, I cannot urge you enough to see a doctor. I get that you have some sort of fear of doctors and tablets or whatever, but really, when there's a chance that it could be this potentially FATAL disease, you need to at least get a professional diagnosis.

I know it might not be what you want to hear, but really, it's the best thing to do. Hope yoou fell better soon.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    Is it possible that you have hayfever or another airbourne allergy? Because a lot of your symptoms of sore eyes and a scratchy throat are indicative of airbourne allergies.

As for your general body pain, there are a lot of viral infections going around that can cause those, and if they persist for longer than 7 days, it's advisable to go to your doctor just to get looked at. I know you don't want to go, but it's best to get it done and get feeling better.

Source: I've had severe hayfever and dust allergies my entire life, my mum is a nurse and I've just recently recovered from a viral & bacterial infection myself.

Well, I've never had an allergy in all my life or hayfever. I'm pretty much immune to that, so it isn't that. Thanks anyway, I'll keep that in mind.

You're alot like me. XD I hate doctors too and I also hate taking pills too. I always try to find liquid to help though, maybe you could try that? The only problem is, I don't think it comes in adult form as far as the pain reliever stuff goes. :/

... I do hate doctors, but I have a reason for not going. It has blood pressure to do with it, that's all I'll say. I know I should go, I'm old enough to look after myself and know better, I have to be. Anyway, children medicine I doubt would even do anything at all with what I have, it's far too severe. Thanks again though.

Ok, well, let's take a quick glance at your sysmptoms. You're saying that you're eyes are hurting and watering - that's often a reaction to hayfever, an allergy, or more commonly, a cold or flu. Alternatively, it could just be because you're not sleeping. You have a sore throat, you feel sick, you're aching and stiff and you're dry heaving a bit. To me, that honestly just sounds like a bad flu. However, at present, anything that could be a 'bad flu' could also be the dreaded 'swine flu' and so, I cannot urge you enough to see a doctor. I get that you have some sort of fear of doctors and tablets or whatever, but really, when there's a chance that it could be this potentially FATAL disease, you need to at least get a professional diagnosis.

I know it might not be what you want to hear, but really, it's the best thing to do. Hope yoou fell better soon.

You must remember, when I say bloodshot eyes, I'm not talking about your normal bloodshot. Basically, the stems have spread so far that they almost surround the iris of my eye and the white looks yellow. Infected, obviously. You can tell from a glance, it's like I've kept my eyes open underwater in a swimming pool full of claurine then threw yellow gunge into the mix. It hasn't faded for days, I highly doubt its just an allergic reaction. I don't have any allergies at all.

It's occured to me that it could be potentially dangerous considering just how severe it is, I can barely speak without my voice being cracked and raspy. I've decided to wait a couple of days and if it's still here... I'll have to decide from then what course of action to take. For now, I'm just going to have to pull one-nighters. Sleeping is simply impossible.

Does no one know of anything to relieve my throat pain? A drink of some kind? Or something to help my joints... I just need... something, this pain is absolutely maddening.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    I love how all of these people come to a Pokemon forum for advice on their health.

True Reign

  
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2010
    I didn't really want to start a new thread for this... But I feel it's out of place in the Problem and Chit Chat threads. I'm really sick at the moment, throat is in agony simply to swallow and my eyes are watering and extremely bloodshot. I look like a turning infected from 28 Days Later, no exaggeration at all. The stems have even reached to my iris and split around it. Appears to be some sort of Viral infection but I can safely tell you that I am in agony and the little 2-3 hours sleep I normally obtain has been lost completely. I haven't slept in days. Does anyone have any idea to what is plaguing my body to make me suffer?

Before anyone spouts "Go to a doctor, stop wasting our time." I have my reasons for doing this, another factor on top of the fact that I hate doctors. Also, I don't take tablets. Paracetamol ect, I avoid as much as possible, so please don't suggest them. I'm already taking Strepsils for my throat but if anyone has any old remedies that they think might help my throat, head, or make me drowzy enough to sleep and relieve me of this absolutely agonizing pain if only for a short time I will be... indescribably grateful.

I normally never stoop this low to get advice but its come to the point where I simply can't ignore it anymore, my body simply aches too much. Also, please take this seriously. This isn't a cry for help, or attention, I'm simply asking for a mature person to give their opinion and maybe help remedy this or at least aid me to relieve the pain.
    I hate doctors with a passion, but when I'm extremely sick it's time for me to man up and head to my doctor's office. I think you should do the same.

Also don't think of it like "I have the next Black Plague!! Aww, I'm goin' to die!!". Just imagine it as a simple cold and your just taking a trip to the doctor as a precaution.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    I love how all of these people come to a Pokemon forum for advice on their health.

Well that's a completely unverified reason. Yes, I posted on an Other Discussion section regarding my health, doesn't mean I joined solely to do this. I doubt anyone else did either... Sorry. I'm just a little... edgy. Being in pain and all.

I hate doctors with a passion, but when I'm extremely sick it's time for me to man up and head to my doctor's office. I think you should do the same.

Also don't think of it like "I have the next Black Plague!! Aww, I'm goin' to die!!". Just imagine it as a simple cold and your just taking a trip to the doctor as a precaution.

As I said before, I have my reasons. Personal reasons, just because I don't like doctors doesn't mean I would act like a 5 year old and simply not go even though I am obviously suffering. Just because I don't like doctors doesn't mean I have some kind of unfounded phobia, where are people getting these accusations from? Who said I'm thinking that I'm going to die?

I simply weighed my available options and weighed the pros and cons of each one. Afterwards I decided that my health should not affect anothers, that is the reason and it's a personal one. I understand where you're coming from and I would honestly take your advice but I'm looking for some knowledge of a way to ease the pain I have and not what I know I should be doing. Thank you anyway, I do appreciate your concern.

Gizamimi Pichu

The Medic
    Years
    As much as I want to urge you to see a professional about this (especially if you're not improving within a few days), that really wouldn't be helping you.

I'm not going to try and diagnose you, but I will say that trying to rest as much as possible, drinking lots of fluids (aside from water, I'd recommend something like gatoraid, since it has electrolytes in it), and eating foods with a lot of antioxidants (berries in particular.)

You mention your eyes being a touch on the yellow side, which makes me potentially quirk a brow and think jaundice, but then your skin might have slightly yellowish tint as well. Either way, not something I can really give an opinion on via the internet, but just a thought.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    As much as I want to urge you to see a professional about this (especially if you're not improving within a few days), that really wouldn't be helping you.

I'm not going to try and diagnose you, but I will say that trying to rest as much as possible, drinking lots of fluids (aside from water, I'd recommend something like gatoraid, since it has electrolytes in it), and eating foods with a lot of antioxidants (berries in particular.)

You mention your eyes being a touch on the yellow side, which makes me potentially quirk a brow and think jaundice, but then your skin might have slightly yellowish tint as well. Either way, not something I can really give an opinion on via the internet, but just a thought.

I don't have any Gatorade where I am but I do have one bottle of Lucozade so I'll grab that. Only problem is that the carbonate just burns my throat something bad. Antioxidants, I've been over that with berry yogurts but swallowing is quite difficult. Skin isn't yellow but the whites of my eyes are, it's a sickly yellow, not unlike the one in the highlight icon in the message window. The bloodshot is worse than what it was a few hours ago now. Thank you for trying though.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    • Is the pain in your joints/bone or the muscle?
    • Is the pain stinging or numbing?
    • Have you eaten any badly processed food lately?
    • Have you eaten any food at all?
    • Have you been sweating a lot? Do you have night sweats?
    • Is your breath warmer than usual? Is your tongue inflamed?
    • Do you have a headache? If so, stinging or numbing?
    • Do you have abdnominal pains?
    • Have you been near pesticides or any other type of poison lately?
    • Is breathing hard? When you are not consciously breathing, is it quicker than normal?
    • Are you dizzy? Can you walk in a straight line?
    • Have you been urinating as per normal?
    • Are there any temperature discrepancies in your body?
    • How is your heart?
    • Have you vomited?

And since I don't have nearly enough information, I'm going to suggest that you may have any number of the following: (1) hyperallergic reaction; you can gain new allergies and lose old allergies over time; (2) hemolytic anemia or other anemia; (3) chemical poisoning; (4) abdominal cancer; (5) hypochondria.

Also, probably check your body for bite marks or anything, since most of the symptoms you describe all trace back to some sort of poison.

Last edited:

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    • Is the pain in your joints/bone or the muscle? Mostly joints and bone.
    • Is the pain stinging or numbing? I'd say stinging.
    • Have you eaten any badly processed food lately? Not at all.
    • Have you eaten any food at all? What I can manage, bit of fruit and yogurt, vegetables mostly.
    • Have you been sweating a lot? Do you have night sweats? No night sweats but definitely trouble sleeping.
    • Is your breath warmer than usual? Is your tongue inflamed? Breath actually seems cooler than normal, tongue looks normal, if a little discolured.
    • Do you have a headache? If so, stinging or numbing? A vague dull one, but it isn't very prominent.
    • Do you have abdnominal pains? No.
    • Have you been near pesticides or any other type of poison lately? No.
    • Is breathing hard? When you are not consciously breathing, is it quicker than normal? Quicker yes, and it can get a little difficult at times.
    • Are you dizzy? Can you walk in a straight line? Nauseaous but I can walk straight.
    • Have you been urinating as per normal? Little more than normal because of extra fluids however.
    • Are there any temperature discrepancies in your body? Throat, definitely hotter than normal and my head and face are a little hotter than normal aswell.
    • How is your heart? A little fast paced than normal but not enough to worry I don't think.
    • Have you vomited? Dry heaving but not yet.

And since I don't have nearly enough information, I'm going to suggest that you may have any number of the following: (1) hyperallergic reaction; you can gain new allergies and lose old allergies over time; (2) hemolytic anemia or other anemia; (3) chemical poisoning; (4) abdominal cancer; (5) hypochondria.

Also, probably check your body for bite marks or anything, since most of the symptoms you describe all trace back to some sort of poison.

I definitely haven't been bitten by anything but I can barely swallow now. I get soaring pain simply drinking a sip of water and my eyes are still watering. I get a kind of blotch over my eyes where I have to blink it away to focus and swallowing takes a lot of effort. The blood veins in my eyes seem more promenint now too, definitely more noticable. Definitely in more pain than I was yesterday... It's 4:03 AM as I type this, I tried sleeping but... well, shutting my eyes and lying still seems to make it worse.

Years
    For your throat try tea with honey, or, if you can get it wherever you are, a brand of tea called Throat Coat. If you don't have tea or honey, get some. If you can't leave the house have a friend, family member, or neighbor get it for you. You have someone keeping an eye on you in case things take a turn for the worse, right?

Also try washing your face. If your eyes are being irritated by something like dust or pollen or whatever it can help. If it is an infection, well, no harm done. It might even relieve some of the discomfort.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Again, I can't really help much, but all the fingers are more or less pointing to anemia, or the inability to transport oxygen through the bloodstream. I'm going to list out some thing that I think.
    • Fever can induce the body to withhold or reject iron. Without iron, hemoglobin cannot be synthesized, and without hemoglobin, blood cells can't transport oxygen. In addition, you said you had been eating fruits and vegetables, which don't contain high amounts of usable iron, and instead contain nitrates which may take whatever usable iron you have in your blood and methyllate it, thereby making it useless.
    • The blood vessels in your eyes are dilated, evidenced by their prominence. Blood vessels dilate to allow more blood to pass through when needed. Vasodilation of the blood vessels in the peripherals may cause pain, comparable to that after having an intense workout; cramps may occur.
    • When anemia occurs, vasoconstriction occurs in the lung arteries in order to focus oxygen uptake in a smaller area. This causes heightened lung activity.
    • The yellowing of your eyes is most likely linked to jaundice. Skin does not have to turn yellow during mild cases of jaundice. In addition, anemia may cause liver damage and thereby jaundice. This is because when red blood cells are destroyed, their components are spilled into the bloodstream so the marrow can take the components and rebuild new cells. A certain chemical from this process, bilirubin, can build up in the body and make your epithelial cells turn yellow.
    • Anemia causes the body to undergo immense fatigue due to lack of oxygen.
    • Heat in the head is caused by increased blood flow, likely due to the body trying to focus the majority of its oxygen supplies at the brain.
    • Lymph nodes may swell (and the ones in the throat are large targets).

Some irrelevant symptoms:
    • Dry heaving and nausea are most likely the body's attempt to purge itself of any unwanted material it may have taken in.
    • Loss of voice is most likely linked to swelling of the throat.
    • Mild headache and eye pain is most likely linked to lack of sleep. Some sores may arise from this as well.
    • Insomnia, which is most likely purely psychological.
    • Cooled breath is comparative to temperature of the throat.

And then there's the list of culprits:
    • The aforementioned chemical poisoning -- this can arise from any number of factors, such as pesticides being present in the food or water you take in, animal/plant toxins, etc. The chemicals destroy blood cells (hence hemolytic anemia), and cause the body to be unable to transport oxygen.
    • Iron deficiency; can be remedied by eating iron-rich foods and vitamin C.
    • B12 deficiency, not caused by lack of uptake, but lack of absorption.
    • Failure of the bone marrow
    • Mononucleosis (aka. mono) -- check this one out. It has a bunch of symptoms you detailed, including pharyngeal inflammation, jaundice, fatigue, malaise, and can cause hemolysis.

It's a bit complicated because anemia can be both a symptom and a cause.
    This would be a lot easier with a blood test, however.

I'll call when I think of anything else.

Last edited:

ChronicEdge

Space Lion
    Years
    Go to a doctor, dammit. You're scaring the **** out of certain people.

The allergy theory sounds plausible enough. You've probably already been over this, but is there anything new that you've ingested? Even if it's just a different brand of carrots, there may be something wrong.

I don't know why you're being so damn stubborn about consulting a medical professional, but dammit, your stoicism is worthless if you die.

At least get a blood test. Please?

Years
    Spoiler:

All horrible insensitivity aside.. If your eyes are turning yellow, you could be having some sort of liver problem. You need that to live. Go to a hospital. Your health isn't something you should play around with. You don't "weigh the pros and cons". Pain is the body telling you something is wrong, and if it's increasing, that probably means it's getting worse. It doesn't matter what your 'reasons' are, just go. Any doctor will tell you that waiting isn't a good thing.

If you aren't going to go, then you should at least call over a friend or family member over to make sure you don't just drop dead or something.

As for the throat pain, maybe try to drink something really cold, as steadily as you can. I had a really awful sore throat a few months back. I drank a milkshake and glasses of ice water as much as I could without getting brain freeze. It sorta numbed it.

You might be fine, and you might just have to wait it out, but if you DO need medical attention, you definitely should not be putting it off.

Back