• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Medicinal Advice?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    Spoiler:

The best post in the entire thread. This offers the most plausible possibility, and I have one thing to add, just go to the doctor. It could be something easily fixed, but by not going you are risking your life...

EpsilonE

Banned
    Years
    As a practicee in medicinal help, try rubbing alchohol on a cloth and shifting it around your limbs on the body to help reduce the fever. For the throat and such, it's painful to even imagine this, but drink herbal chicken broth at high but tolerable temperatures, do not add salt as it may dehydrate you. Drink excess water to flush the system and kidneys, maybe even some prune juice or cranberry juice, all natural.

Some sunlight will give you vitamin D to combat the sickness. Do not drink milk, eat chocolate or any form of sugar.

Take lukewarm baths/showers. Never too hot or too cold.

Lay in bed, and try to get some form of assistance from family or friends.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Some sunlight will give you vitamin D to combat the sickness. Do not drink milk, eat chocolate or any form of sugar.

Good information.

Vitamin D takes the skin about two weeks to fully photosynthesize. It's a better bet to get it from a supplement or food source at this point.

Milk would be a safe choice too if you don't have gastroenteritis or diarrhea. It has calcium which is easily fixed due to the D uptake and also contains B12, B2, and D itself sometimes. It also contains protein for re-synthesis of all the cells your body is destroying. However, do not drink it if it makes you nauseous.

Also, I am not sure about this consumption of sugar thing, but if you decide to follow it, remember that sugar is also heavily present in peanut butter, some yogurt, and white bread, which are usually deemed "stomach friendly" foods. I'm not sure if the above poster also meant to stop eating fruits, as those contain a lot of sugars too, save stuff like the avocado.

UltraBlaziken

Cyber Trainer
    Years
    I am not experienced at giving medical advice, but your disease sounds fatal, so you should go to the hospital or see a doctor before that disease literally kills you.

Otherwise, if you REALLY don't wanna see a doctor, I can't give you any advice.

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    For your throat try tea with honey, or, if you can get it wherever you are, a brand of tea called Throat Coat. If you don't have tea or honey, get some. If you can't leave the house have a friend, family member, or neighbor get it for you. You have someone keeping an eye on you in case things take a turn for the worse, right?

Also try washing your face. If your eyes are being irritated by something like dust or pollen or whatever it can help. If it is an infection, well, no harm done. It might even relieve some of the discomfort.

Already been washing my face, does little effect. I'm 100% sure that it's not an allergy, I have none at all. Thank you though Scarf, I tried putting a spoonful of honey in with tea and I could actually breathe better for about 10 minutes. I'll keep making some when I feel able to swallow something down. You've been wonders.

Again, I can't really help much, but all the fingers are more or less pointing to anemia, or the inability to transport oxygen through the bloodstream. I'm going to list out some thing that I think.
    • Fever can induce the body to withhold or reject iron. Without iron, hemoglobin cannot be synthesized, and without hemoglobin, blood cells can't transport oxygen. In addition, you said you had been eating fruits and vegetables, which don't contain high amounts of usable iron, and instead contain nitrates which may take whatever usable iron you have in your blood and methyllate it, thereby making it useless.
    • The blood vessels in your eyes are dilated, evidenced by their prominence. Blood vessels dilate to allow more blood to pass through when needed. Vasodilation of the blood vessels in the peripherals may cause pain, comparable to that after having an intense workout; cramps may occur.
    • When anemia occurs, vasoconstriction occurs in the lung arteries in order to focus oxygen uptake in a smaller area. This causes heightened lung activity.
    • The yellowing of your eyes is most likely linked to jaundice. Skin does not have to turn yellow during mild cases of jaundice. In addition, anemia may cause liver damage and thereby jaundice. This is because when red blood cells are destroyed, their components are spilled into the bloodstream so the marrow can take the components and rebuild new cells. A certain chemical from this process, bilirubin, can build up in the body and make your epithelial cells turn yellow.
    • Anemia causes the body to undergo immense fatigue due to lack of oxygen.
    • Heat in the head is caused by increased blood flow, likely due to the body trying to focus the majority of its oxygen supplies at the brain.
    • Lymph nodes may swell (and the ones in the throat are large targets).

Some irrelevant symptoms:
    • Dry heaving and nausea are most likely the body's attempt to purge itself of any unwanted material it may have taken in.
    • Loss of voice is most likely linked to swelling of the throat.
    • Mild headache and eye pain is most likely linked to lack of sleep. Some sores may arise from this as well.
    • Insomnia, which is most likely purely psychological.
    • Cooled breath is comparative to temperature of the throat.

And then there's the list of culprits:
    • The aforementioned chemical poisoning -- this can arise from any number of factors, such as pesticides being present in the food or water you take in, animal/plant toxins, etc. The chemicals destroy blood cells (hence hemolytic anemia), and cause the body to be unable to transport oxygen.
    • Iron deficiency; can be remedied by eating iron-rich foods and vitamin C.
    • B12 deficiency, not caused by lack of uptake, but lack of absorption.
    • Failure of the bone marrow
    • Mononucleosis (aka. mono) -- check this one out. It has a bunch of symptoms you detailed, including pharyngeal inflammation, jaundice, fatigue, malaise, and can cause hemolysis.

It's a bit complicated because anemia can be both a symptom and a cause.
    This would be a lot easier with a blood test, however.

I'll call when I think of anything else.

Thanks Gymnotide, I have a better understanding now. I know it's probably not accurate compared to a professional but you're really trying. Thank you, I'll keep all you've said in mind and heed your words.

Go to a doctor, dammit. You're scaring the **** out of certain people.

The allergy theory sounds plausible enough. You've probably already been over this, but is there anything new that you've ingested? Even if it's just a different brand of carrots, there may be something wrong.

I don't know why you're being so damn stubborn about consulting a medical professional, but dammit, your stoicism is worthless if you die.

At least get a blood test. Please?

I don't mean to scare others, like I keep saying, I have my reasons not to go. Anyway, if it's a viral infection which I'm almost positive it is, tablets do absolutely nothing anyway... Thanks for your concern though Chronic, but please don't get on my back. I have enough to deal with without others suffocating me more.

Spoiler:

All horrible insensitivity aside.. If your eyes are turning yellow, you could be having some sort of liver problem. You need that to live. Go to a hospital. Your health isn't something you should play around with. You don't "weigh the pros and cons". Pain is the body telling you something is wrong, and if it's increasing, that probably means it's getting worse. It doesn't matter what your 'reasons' are, just go. Any doctor will tell you that waiting isn't a good thing.

If you aren't going to go, then you should at least call over a friend or family member over to make sure you don't just drop dead or something.

As for the throat pain, maybe try to drink something really cold, as steadily as you can. I had a really awful sore throat a few months back. I drank a milkshake and glasses of ice water as much as I could without getting brain freeze. It sorta numbed it.

You might be fine, and you might just have to wait it out, but if you DO need medical attention, you definitely should not be putting it off.

The best post in the entire thread. This offers the most plausible possibility, and I have one thing to add, just go to the doctor. It could be something easily fixed, but by not going you are risking your life...

Thanks for being so insensitive, gave me a laugh and some pain along with it. Anyway, I'm going to clear this up, I'm sick of hearing about it. My reason not to go is because it concerns anothers blood pressure, they can do without the extra stress of knowing I'm sick. Okay? Trust me, I would have went by now, but I'd rather bear it down upon myself. Please stop telling me what I know I should do but I won't do either way unless it gets to catastrophic levels. Then I'd have to work out a way to go without them knowing, which is near impossible. There, that's why. Satisfied everyone? Can't believe I told you guys this, dammit.

As a practicee in medicinal help, try rubbing alchohol on a cloth and shifting it around your limbs on the body to help reduce the fever. For the throat and such, it's painful to even imagine this, but drink herbal chicken broth at high but tolerable temperatures, do not add salt as it may dehydrate you. Drink excess water to flush the system and kidneys, maybe even some prune juice or cranberry juice, all natural.

Take lukewarm baths/showers. Never too hot or too cold.

Lay in bed, and try to get some form of assistance from family or friends.

Unfortunately I don't have any rubbing alcohol and... are you insane? I know you seem to know what you're talking about but drinking anything at a high temperature is like drinking boiling acid. I'd probably end up screaming. I don't take any excess salt at all except those found in foods so I'm safe there, as for sunlight... I hardly go out. Once a week at most... I don't have any way to get out either, not like this.

Sugar wise... I bet all that Lucozade didn't help... Okay, I'll lay off it. I know I should lay in bed but I can't, I won't sleep and I end up being in more difficulty to swallow. I just end up on here as a distraction. You've all been great, I want to thank you all for your help and for putting up with me.

Greene1516

Scratching the surface...
    Years
    You most likely have a bad case of the flu and have a terribly shot immune system. Trust me, everyone hates Doctors, but if you aren't healingon your own you need the drugs.

BTW, it's medical, not medicinal.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
    Does no one know of anything to relieve my throat pain? A drink of some kind? Or something to help my joints... I just need... something, this pain is absolutely maddening.

I know, very late reply, but Lemsip is great. It's soothing for your throat, is hot and comforting, and has paracetamol to help with the pain.

But the crux of this is that's it's advisable to see a doctor. However, it's your body, and I hope you get well soon!

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Switchback, do you at least have someone to watch over you? I really can't offer much advice other than rest and going to a doctor, but since you apparently can't do that could you at least get someone to help you get through this?

Years
    Since you haven't said anything about this yet I think it bears repeating:

Tell someone in real life that you are ill.

When you've done this, or if you already have, let us know so we don't wonder whether you're going to die alone and unnoticed in your room.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    If you're throat is very sore, then one of the things that we always do in our family is to whip up some honey and hot lemon - boil the kettle, fill a mug about 2/3 full, splash in some lemon juice and add a spoonful of honey :D

It's very good for soothing your throat and if you can't drink anything hot, you could always just let it cool dow a bit first .

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    Well, I did a bit of extra Research last night and finally found out what is plaguing me. All the symptoms, pictures and early signs match up exactly so there's no doubt in my mind. I have the viral type of something called Conjunctivitis, also known as "Pink Eye." It's a contagious virus too, so basically I should be in quarantine and apparently it doesn't clear up until about 3 weeks. I've only had it for about a week so... I have a long way to go to recovery. More information can be found here if others are curious but I warn you, if you're easily sickened, I advise that you don't click. Can't be making other people sick aswell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjunctivitis

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to try and diagnose me, but I still ask that if anyone knows of anything that can help relieve my throat pain or help me sleep easier without the use of medication since it's useless because of the infection type, I'd be very grateful.

You most likely have a bad case of the flu and have a terribly shot immune system. Trust me, everyone hates Doctors, but if you aren't healingon your own you need the drugs.

BTW, it's medical, not medicinal.

I wrote medicinal because I'm looking for a way to relieve the pain, not exactly a diagnosis. Drugs don't work, viral infection just makes them completely useless. Any type of medicine is inaffective, I hardly if ever take tablets normally but in this case, I'm more than willing because of the pain. Unfortunately, I was cursed with something that makes them absolutely useless.

I know, very late reply, but Lemsip is great. It's soothing for your throat, is hot and comforting, and has paracetamol to help with the pain.

But the crux of this is that's it's advisable to see a doctor. However, it's your body, and I hope you get well soon!

The Paracetamol won't work but I guess it's worth a try, thanks.

Switchback, do you at least have someone to watch over you? I really can't offer much advice other than rest and going to a doctor, but since you apparently can't do that could you at least get someone to help you get through this?

Since you haven't said anything about this yet I think it bears repeating:

Tell someone in real life that you are ill.

When you've done this, or if you already have, let us know so we don't wonder whether you're going to die alone and unnoticed in your room.

There is one person who knows of my illness, however they are not here very much because of work and going out ect. I can look after myself, trust me I'm used to it. When it comes to possibly vomiting though... I'm not sure I can handle that well. I'll tackle that when I come to it though. I appreciate your concern though, really.

If you're throat is very sore, then one of the things that we always do in our family is to whip up some honey and hot lemon - boil the kettle, fill a mug about 2/3 full, splash in some lemon juice and add a spoonful of honey :D

It's very good for soothing your throat and if you can't drink anything hot, you could always just let it cool dow a bit first .

Lemon juice? Odd, but it definitely sounds like a good remedy. I'll have to buy some lemon juice first though, don't really like lemons but anything is good at this point. Thanks a lot.

Greene1516

Years
    I wrote medicinal because I'm looking for a way to relieve the pain, not exactly a diagnosis. Drugs don't work, viral infection just makes them completely useless. Any type of medicine is inaffective, I hardly if ever take tablets normally but in this case, I'm more than willing because of the pain. Unfortunately, I was cursed with something that makes them absolutely useless.

It's actually really ironic; the one way this normally happens to someone is because they take too much medication and they become immune. Yet you claim to have taken none. But you see the thing is, the key to good medicine is believing it will work.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    As per usual with my posts i will be taking a lot of flak for what i am about to say.

It is human nature to preserve itself. This dictates that the human will go to unsual lengths to insure its survival.

Another is that humans try to shy away from pain. As such your illness is causing you pain yet you seem to not want to try the one thing that will help you the most.

As such with these conjections i can say that you are either lieing about being sick, or you are sick but not to the degree to which you state.

Either way i don't care.

So to finish this...

I have had a few bad encounters with doctors as well (Most involved needles and a doctor that can't tell the diffrence between a blood vain and a bone.) and i agree that i will try to stay away for as long as i can but really... If you are having problems drinking water and eating yogurt then it is time for you to get some professional help, instead of talking to (Mostly) uneducated children on a pokemon forum.

Anyway one last thing (I hope) I would recommend not getting on the computer for a while kk? The light from the monitor can cause a persons eyes to be in pain. A normal healthy person is largely uneffected by this (Unless they stare at the monitor for 8+ hrs a day) but in your case the light is only making your eyes feel worse.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Sorry to be blunt, but...

Thanks for being so insensitive, gave me a laugh and some pain along with it. Anyway, I'm going to clear this up, I'm sick of hearing about it. My reason not to go is because it concerns anothers blood pressure, they can do without the extra stress of knowing I'm sick.

So... relieving any possible worry they might have by actually seeking professional help (which would, yes, entail actually detailing your situation to the point where you can tell this doctor what medicines don't usually work for you so s/he can figure out what might work instead) is outweighed by risking damage to yourself through a possible misdiagnosis, inappropriate self-treatment, or otherwise attempting to wait out the disease because you're worried someone (who would probably be able to tell that you're sick just by looking at or listening to you, given your symptoms) will make a fuss over you?

Yep. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Otherwise...

Mr. X said:
    If you are having problems drinking water and eating yogurt then it is time for you to get some professional help, instead of talking to (Mostly) uneducated children on a pokemon forum.

This.

Or, in other words, yes, it's admirable that you're thinking about someone else, but if you can barely eat, chances are, whatever you've got is pretty bad. Instead of constantly telling us what you can't do (which, frankly, makes this whole thing seem like a circular argument because you're asking for advice and then promptly shooting everything down) while you wait for your problem to worsen (which would, in turn, give whoever you're worried about even more to make a fuss over), it might be prudent to, you know, actually consider our advice or otherwise go do something about it.

And yes. I'm sorry that you're sick, and I don't mean to be overly insensitive to what you're going through. I know it sucks, and I know I'm not a medical expert. I'm just saying it's rather unusual (read: rather frustrating to read) that people are offering advice, and everything they try to give you gets shot down, either because your body doesn't work the way they think it does or because you just don't want to try it. (Yes, I also don't know you, but the point still stands.)

Last edited:

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    It's actually really ironic; the one way this normally happens to someone is because they take too much medication and they become immune. Yet you claim to have taken none. But you see the thing is, the key to good medicine is believing it will work.

I'm not saying I've never taken tablets before, because I have. I simply very very rarely take them because I'd rather not. In this case, I did take some and like I keep saying over and over, they did nothing. It's a viral infection, tablets don't work. That's why I'm asking people here if they have any common knowledge of alternative ways to help my throat because taking antibiotics simply does absolutely nothing at all. Good medicine is believing it will work? Trust me, I've been praying for them to work but you can't change what a Viral infection does.

As per usual with my posts i will be taking a lot of flak for what i am about to say.

It is human nature to preserve itself. This dictates that the human will go to unsual lengths to insure its survival.

Another is that humans try to shy away from pain. As such your illness is causing you pain yet you seem to not want to try the one thing that will help you the most.

Not true, the one thing that would help me most doesn't work. Strepsils have two antibiotics in them, what have they done to help my throat? ... Nothing. All tablets have been made useless because of the infection.

Mr. X said:
    As such with these conjections i can say that you are either lieing about being sick, or you are sick but not to the degree to which you state.

Why on everything on earth would I lie about being sick? Let me tell you, I would happily swap this with you. What would I get out of lying about my condition and its state? I hate liars and I would never have went as far as to ask others to help with my illness if it wasn't that bad in the first place. What motive or reason would I have to do that in the first place? It makes no sense at all.

Mr. X said:
    Either way i don't care.

So to finish this...

I have had a few bad encounters with doctors as well (Most involved needles and a doctor that can't tell the diffrence between a blood vain and a bone.) and i agree that i will try to stay away for as long as i can but really... If you are having problems drinking water and eating yogurt then it is time for you to get some professional help, instead of talking to (Mostly) uneducated children on a pokemon forum.

Anyway one last thing (I hope) I would recommend not getting on the computer for a while kk? The light from the monitor can cause a persons eyes to be in pain. A normal healthy person is largely uneffected by this (Unless they stare at the monitor for 8+ hrs a day) but in your case the light is only making your eyes feel worse.

That's funny, uneducated children? I think this thread proves that they are quite intelligent, at least more so than what you seem to be trying to pull. Yes, seeking professional help seems to be everyone's answer but what would they do? They'd give me tablets that don't even work and tell me to be on my way, there's nothing they can do about this. As taken from the article:

"Although there is no specific treatment for viral conjunctivitis..."

Your right, I shouldn't be on here. However, it does not affect my eyes. I simply come on here as a distraction and for some help with alternative remedies I can try. Through the time I've had this I've posted as little as possible except on this thread, I've been mostly resting off the laptop.

While it is your opinion and I respect that fact, I suggest you maybe read on what I've been saying earlier before jumping to all these conclusions.

So... relieving any possible worry they might have by actually seeking professional help (which would, yes, entail actually detailing your situation to the point where you can tell this doctor what medicines don't usually work for you so s/he can figure out what might work instead) is outweighed by risking damage to yourself through a possible misdiagnosis, inappropriate self-treatment, or otherwise attempting to wait out the disease because you're worried someone (who would probably be able to tell that you're sick just by looking at or listening to you, given your symptoms) will make a fuss over you?

Yep. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clearing that up.

Basically, they have enough to deal with without worrying over me at the same time. I understand where you're coming from but I'm 100% sure I've found what I have. Every single thing on it adds up, if I was still floudering around to what's wrong with me by now I would have went to the doctors. Going to the doctors I feel would put more stress on them, I really don't want that.

Valentine said:
    Or, in other words, yes, it's admirable that you're thinking about someone else, but if you can barely eat, chances are, whatever you've got is pretty bad. Instead of constantly telling us what you can't do (which, frankly, makes this whole thing seem like a circular argument because you're asking for advice and then promptly shooting everything down) while you wait for your problem to worsen (which would, in turn, give whoever you're worried about even more to make a fuss over), it might be prudent to, you know, actually consider our advice or otherwise go do something about it.

Who says I haven't considered it? I don't mean to act like I'm, "shooting everything down" in a somewhat circular argument but simply... I asked for alternative ways to help with my symptoms. I didn't ask for people to tell me what I should do or get a lecture. I've tried what people have suggested and they've worked a treat, again, tablets do nothing here. I do consider your advice, but simply I suppose I'm avoiding it because it's not what I asked for.

valentine said:
    And yes. I'm sorry that you're sick, and I don't mean to be overly insensitive to what you're going through. I know it sucks, and I know I'm not a medical expert. I'm just saying it's rather unusual (read: rather frustrating to read) that people are offering advice, and everything they try to give you gets shot down, either because your body doesn't work the way they think it does or because you just don't want to try it. (Yes, I also don't know you, but the point still stands.)

You can be as insensitive as you like, I'd just brush it off. I don't want your sympathy, or your pity, simply a way to relive the pain that doesn't involve tablets because once again, they don't work. Why would I ignore people's advice because I don't want to try it? I listened to what they've said and I have tried most things, which have worked without adding extra pain with it. This isn't twenty questions on, "how my body works." I understand I'm being a little defensive but I really don't understand while people seem to be causing arguments, which is the last thing I want to deal with right now.

All I'd like is more suggestions on how I can relieve the pain that doesn't involve medication which is useless in this case. I don't want an argument on what I should do, this is ultimately my choice in the end. I'm going to ride this virus out, there's nothing much else I can do, doctor or not.

Last edited:

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Basically, they have enough to deal with without worrying over me at the same time.

Everyone has a lot to deal with on a daily basis, but if you end up getting worse the way you're going, you're just going to give them a lot more to worry about when they find out. (I say when in this case because if things don't improve... yeah, it's probably going to be inevitable if they care that much about you.) In fact, postponing actually giving them a heads up (even by downplaying it and saying, "It's just a minor cold. I'll get over it soon. Really.") will probably just end badly when they start wondering why you didn't tell them in the first place.

I understand where you're coming from but I'm 100% sure I've found what I have.

The problem with an internet diagnosis is that it makes everyone a hypochondriac. It's usually a good idea to get a second opinion from a professional because you'll end up thinking your symptoms match up to a description you've found when in actuality, the description is talking about a set of symptoms that are slightly different but vaguely defined. Alternatively, you end up listing obvious symptoms and missing one or two because you aren't trained to notice them, even if it is your body.

Going to the doctors I feel would put more stress on them, I really don't want that.

Again, if you're talking about your loved ones, not telling them, letting things worsen, and then having them find out later will actually probably put more stress on them.

Who says I haven't considered it? I don't mean to act like I'm, "shooting everything down" in a somewhat circular argument but simply... I asked for alternative ways to help with my symptoms.

And we offered. You didn't say you were actually trying things. You just said they didn't work. You don't even actually fully explain what you mean. You just say "I can't do this" or "this doesn't work for me." The latter could mean anything from you have an antibiotic-resistant disease (i.e., yes, virus), your immune system is faulty (which could contribute a bit here), you actually tried it and didn't immediately get the results you were hoping for, or you just didn't think it would work but haven't tried it. *shrug* It's really not possible to tell which one it is right off the bat, so, yeah, you're not giving us enough information. Hence, it feels like a circular argument with people giving you pretty much the same advice over and over again (or different pieces of advice that might not even be relevant) because we don't exactly know your body or know what you're doing between posts.

I didn't ask for people to tell me what I should do

...But you're asking for alternative medicinal advice. Isn't that telling you what you should do?

or get a lecture.

When you're asking about this kind of thing, you just have to expect one, really. You're not offering enough information, your list of symptoms sounds pretty bad, and all we know is you don't want a doctor and the usual treatments don't work for you. What else can we really say?

I don't want your sympathy, or your pity, simply a way to relive the pain that doesn't involve tablets because once again, they don't work.

I never said they do. I just said go seek professional help. Not every doctor will tell you you should be taking tablets or whatnot.

Why would I ignore people's advice because I don't want to try it?

That's basically what you've been implying with all this, "I don't want to go to a doctor even though my symptoms seem pretty bad because I don't want to worry someone else" business, really. In the case of your refusal to go to a doctor, you nearly outright state it with the quote I filched in my last post.

This isn't twenty questions on, "how my body works."

Never said it would be, either, although it would actually somewhat help to tell us if you've got some other condition that prevents you from being able to take some of our advice. But other than that, I said if you sought professional help, you'd be able to lay out what you're feeling and what else the doctor needs to know for you to get the help you probably really need.

I understand I'm being a little defensive but I really don't understand while people seem to be causing arguments, which is the last thing I want to deal with right now.

Because it seems like you could very well solve the problem with a solution that's a lot less painful than you think it will be. Granted, I don't know your loved ones, but it would be rather logical that you'd probably want to go get some help before the disease does some permanent damage that your loved one will notice anyway. (Side note for a case in point, but a friend of mine ended up half blind thanks to an eye virus that wasn't exactly treated right away. If you've got pink-eye or whatnot, yes, you'll probably want to get that checked out. 'Course, that's more of a worst-case-scenario thing going on, but it's still a possibility.)

I don't want an argument on what I should do, this is ultimately my choice in the end.

This is true, but if you don't want to take advice that people keep giving you, it might be better to just not say, "This won't work for me. I can't take your advice." (The latter of which is pretty much implied.) I mean, come now. We're trying to help you, but being defensive in response isn't exactly the best thank you for some of the efforts here.

Last edited:

Greene1516

Years
    Praying/hoping and believing are entirely different concepts. And only anti-biotics will have little effect on a virus, though they can still help manage symptoms. Mr.X does have a good point too.

And for the record, Strepsils do not contain anti-biotics, do you really they could be bought on a shelf if they did?

Switchback

Flare Counsellor
    Years
    Everyone has a lot to deal with on a daily basis, but if you end up getting worse the way you're going, you're just going to give them a lot more to worry about when they find out. (I say when in this case because if things don't improve... yeah, it's probably going to be inevitable if they care that much about you.) In fact, postponing actually giving them a heads up (even by downplaying it and saying, "It's just a minor cold. I'll get over it soon. Really.") will probably just end badly when they start wondering why you didn't tell them in the first place.

If I get worse, I'll tell them that I'll go to the doctors. For now, I'm happy to go on saying that I'm dealing with it.

Valentine said:
    The problem with an internet diagnosis is that it makes everyone a hypochondriac. It's usually a good idea to get a second opinion from a professional because you'll end up thinking your symptoms match up to a description you've found when in actuality, the description is talking about a set of symptoms that are slightly different but vaguely defined. Alternatively, you end up listing obvious symptoms and missing one or two because you aren't trained to notice them, even if it is your body.

Every single thing listed there is what I have, the pictures are pretty much identical to what I've had to see in the mirror for most days now. I understand that yes the internet isn't the most reliable source but on this occasion I could even wager that it's what I have.

Valentine said:
    Again, if you're talking about your loved ones, not telling them, letting things worsen, and then having them find out later will actually probably put more stress on them.

They know now. Leave it there.

Valentine said:
    And we offered. You didn't say you were actually trying things. You just said they didn't work. You don't even actually fully explain what you mean. You just say "I can't do this" or "this doesn't work for me." The latter could mean anything from you have an antibiotic-resistant disease (i.e., yes, virus), your immune system is faulty (which could contribute a bit here), you actually tried it and didn't immediately get the results you were hoping for, or you just didn't think it would work but haven't tried it. *shrug* It's really not possible to tell which one it is right off the bat, so, yeah, you're not giving us enough information. Hence, it feels like a circular argument with people giving you pretty much the same advice over and over again (or different pieces of advice that might not even be relevant) because we don't exactly know your body or know what you're doing between posts.

Sorry but is it really this hard to comprehend? I have a viral infection. Normal tablets, paracetamols, anti-biotics, anti-septics, do not work. So people suggesting to take them, I already tried so it's useless to try again. That's why I haven't really answered apart from the ever popular, "they don't work." Between posts, I'm pretty much coughing my heart out and going with some remedys suggested on here such as mixing honey in tea.

Valentine said:
    ...But you're asking for alternative medicinal advice. Isn't that telling you what you should do?

There's a difference between, "Try this" and "Go to the doctors." I'm asking for suggestions yes, nothing wrong with asking. I won't put up with people telling me exactly that I have to go to the doctors because it's what they would do if they were me and yet they're not, they don't know my full situation. I won't fully explain it either, it doesn't need to be known just to be given some alternative medical help.

Valentine said:
    When you're asking about this kind of thing, you just have to expect one, really. You're not offering enough information, your list of symptoms sounds pretty bad, and all we know is you don't want a doctor and the usual treatments don't work for you. What else can we really say?

Now what is that supposed to mean? People have told me alternative ways to ease the pain, that's all I really asked for. Not you assuming things. How about turning the tables here, what can you say? Your not suggesting anything, why should I have to answer to you? I honestly don't know why you're doing this and why I'm even replying other than I won't stand here and listen to you trying to make me feel what, guilty? What is your motive?

Valentine said:
    That's basically what you've been implying with all this, "I don't want to go to a doctor even though my symptoms seem pretty bad because I don't want to worry someone else" business, really. In the case of your refusal to go to a doctor, you nearly outright state it with the quote I filched in my last post.

I don't want to go to a doctor, what you just said is exactly what I've been saying in the first place anyway. Have I offended you in some way? Oh no, look, someone who doesn't want to see a doctor! Blasphemy. It's my choice in the end, I appreciate you looking out for my best interests in a way but why are you pushing me, what is your point exactly?

Valentine said:
    Never said it would be, either, although it would actually somewhat help to tell us if you've got some other condition that prevents you from being able to take some of our advice. But other than that, I said if you sought professional help, you'd be able to lay out what you're feeling and what else the doctor needs to know for you to get the help you probably really need.

I found out what's wrong with me, I feel no reason to go unless it gets any worse than what I already have to deal with. No amount of people saying to go will change my mind.

Valentine said:
    Because it seems like you could very well solve the problem with a solution that's a lot less painful than you think it will be. Granted, I don't know your loved ones, but it would be rather logical that you'd probably want to go get some help before the disease does some permanent damage that your loved one will notice anyway. (Side note for a case in point, but a friend of mine ended up half blind thanks to an eye virus that wasn't exactly treated right away. If you've got pink-eye or whatnot, yes, you'll probably want to get that checked out. 'Course, that's more of a worst-case-scenario thing going on, but it's still a possibility.)

Conjunctivitis is linked to the eyes but it will not inflict any damage. My eyesight has been perfectly clear apart from the times I've had water discharge, obviously it would be blurry because of the water. Again, they know now. It's not a case of noticing, you can tell from glancing at me.

Valentine said:
    This is true, but if you don't want to take advice that people keep giving you, it might be better to just not say, "This won't work for me. I can't take your advice." (The latter of which is pretty much implied.) I mean, come now. We're trying to help you, but being defensive in response isn't exactly the best thank you for some of the efforts here.

I have thanked people, what you're implying or almost practically saying is that I'm asking for advice and then basically telling everyone that they're useless. Read back, people who suggested remedies I thanked, I have also thanked everyone on a whole for being helpful. True, people who suggested anti-biotics and such I simply told they wouldn't work, but they would have known this if they read the first post I made. I'm sorry Valentine but if you have nothing to suggest apart from seemingly pick at me, then why are you continuing this? I didn't start this thread to have people like you at my back, I started it to find ways to ease my pain. Some people have been very helpful and I am extremely grateful, however, you're not helping at all. Do you even have a reason for getting at me or are you simply bored? I may sound very cold at this point but I'm not exactly feeling great, I will probably feel a little guilty about this when I'm feeling better but basically, your point is?

Praying/hoping and believing are entirely different concepts. And only anti-biotics will have little effect on a virus, though they can still help manage symptoms. Mr.X does have a good point too.

And for the record, Strepsils do not contain anti-biotics, do you really they could be bought on a shelf if they did?

Taken from the back of my Strepsils packet: Each lozenge contains: A combination of 2 antiseptics to fight the infections which can cause sore throats and mouth infections.

I've taken almost two whole packets since I've fell down with this and well, they really haven't helped at all. Not with any symptom. Again, I've tried some tablets and again, they've had no effect. Forget about tablets, I've taken some to know they don't work. Your right if I had a headache or a common cold, no problem there but unfortunately, my throat is the culprit and the virus prevents any medication from working.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Every single thing listed there is what I have, the pictures are pretty much identical to what I've had to see in the mirror for most days now.

Symptoms can sometimes match up to different diseases -- sometimes even combinations of such. I wouldn't trust just a self-diagnosis, really.

Sorry but is it really this hard to comprehend? I have a viral infection. Normal tablets, paracetamols, anti-biotics, anti-septics, do not work.

That's nice, but it's not the whole story. There could be more going on than what you're telling us or what you know, which was the point to the entire paragraph you quoted here.

There's a difference between, "Try this" and "Go to the doctors."

Actually, there's not much of a difference except the ones you accept as "try this" are temporarily relief for a possible serious problem. "Go to a doctor" is still a "try this," however. Just a more involved one that involves doing a bit of pride-swallowing.

Now what is that supposed to mean?

It means that if you're asking for advice for a problem that's not exactly simple, some people offer lectures because what they have to say can't be said in a short paragraph.

Your not suggesting anything, why should I have to answer to you?

I did, actually. I suggested you listen to some of the advice you're passing over because you said you didn't want to trouble people in order to do it. I said sometimes, you have to trouble people because if you don't, your problems will probably get worse.

I honestly don't know why you're doing this and why I'm even replying other than I won't stand here and listen to you trying to make me feel what, guilty? What is your motive?

I'm not trying to make you feel guilty, actually. While I understand "go seek medical attention" is something you've gotten multiple times, I'm just saying it's rather odd that instead of saying "thank you," you're pretty much telling them they're not being helpful. They're really trying, and you end up sounding ungrateful to them. Probably without meaning to, but you do.

I don't want to go to a doctor, what you just said is exactly what I've been saying in the first place anyway.

This was in response to my comment that you didn't want to try a possible solution because you didn't want to do it, really. So... *motions back to the post before this one* Yes.

Have I offended you in some way?

To be honest, yes, actually, just by your attitude towards people who are trying to help you, but that's mostly my problem to deal with. I understand that it's your choice in the end, but my point is that, again, we're really trying to help. You already say you've diagnosed yourself and have come up with a way to cure yourself, but you ask for ways to ease your pain. When people keep coming up to you offering advice for how to take steps towards getting rid of the disease altogether, you respond by saying their advice is worthless, probably because you've gotten it so many times, probably because you're sick and probably a little irritable at the moment, and most definitely because we don't exactly know what you're trying or what your motivations for not doing X, Y, Z are (other than the fact that you've got a virus and that medicines aren't helping -- which is really the only thing I'm not really touching here because it's beside the point I'm trying to make), so we end up repeating ourselves because we're assuming you haven't tried X, Y, or Z. Yes, it's not good to make assumptions, but if you tell us what you're actually doing and trying and for how long, it might give us a heads up for which direction to go from here.

I found out what's wrong with me, I feel no reason to go unless it gets any worse than what I already have to deal with.

...And coughing your heart out and barely being able to eat isn't already worse than it should be? O_o

I have thanked people,

You've thanked a few people, but glancing back over this thread, you've offered the people who told you to go to the doctor's a line about how you don't want to trouble people, you asked EpsilonE if he was insane, detailed your symptoms and explained why offered remedies wouldn't work for several suggestions, and outright asked in this post if no one knew anything to help you, after a few posts of suggestions and attempts to identify what it is you were going through in order to actually be of any service to you.

In other words, you might say thank you, but the rest of your posts/post content seem(s) to blow people off. That's probably not what you intended, but it does seem like that to some readers, which is probably why for half this page, you've been getting arguments (not only from myself, either).

however, you're not helping at all

Actually, I'm trying to help you by seconding pretty much a lot of the ideas people have said and attempting to reassure you that if you're worried about someone else, it's better that you go see a doctor. The reason why you don't think I'm trying to help is probably because that's not what you want to hear.

Frankly, I'm not trying to guilt you or force you to do anything except just reassure people that you're taking their advice into consideration. I know an illness doesn't exactly put you in the right mindset, but from what I've seen, you've been rather defensive towards people who are actually trying to help you. (Not in all posts. Just in a number of them that had advice you didn't exactly want to hear. For example, was it really necessary to bold the bit about not wanting to go to a doctor because of someone else's blood pressure?) Yes, some of it is repeat advice, but we all just want to offer the best help we can because you asked.

With that said, I might leave this thread alone, maybe even take things to VMs if you want to respond. I personally don't want to argue much further, and you seem to be in a defensive mindset in general at the moment. All I can say is if you've been able to look up what you have on the internet, you might be able to Google some remedies to ease your pain (link is just an example) as well.

Last edited:
    Back