• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Aug 27, 2009
What's your lowest moment as an author? Your highest?

Unfortunately my lowest is going on right now, as I have only had one reader on my fic actually post. On the flip side, my highest moment is also going on right now, because I've finally gotten fully immersed in the fic, and planned out an extremely big chunk of it today after seeing the new Indiana Jones.

What motivates you to keep reading and writing fanfics?

I love writing, plain and simple. I also love drawing, but I'm actually good at writing, thus I write. Simple as that- plus, I love reading fanfics that are good. Sorry, but there's no big secret motive for me, haha.

Bay

Years
What do you think about the first fic you ever wrote?\

Well, the first parts I would hate because I don't like how my grammar and description was weak. I love the later parts in the story though as I improved a lot with that same fic and also quite like how the ending turned out. ^^

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I hate you. >.>

But wait! xkcd says we don't have to do that anymore! And whatever xkcd says must be true!

what motivates you to keep reading and writing fanfics?

A combination of sheer masochism and sheer sadism.

I mean, I like reading. I love writing. I adore picturing my favorite characters in bed together. So, I figure why not?

What do you think about the first fic you ever wrote?

I really want to pretend I never wrote it. It really was that bad.

Now that I think about it, The Chronicles of Spritt (mentioned in another thread) wasn't my first, either. It was this weird fanfic that basically was about Ash finding out that Pikachu is actually the reincarnation of his father. It was typed on a reply box and therefore had terrible pacing and grammar (hence why I'm a huge advocate of not doing that), and it was an angstfest that my friends luckily took for being a humor fic. It was pretty much the definition of crackfic because you really had to have been on crack to take it remotely seriously.

And now I'm tempted to find it again. Blast.

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
Years
I enjoy writing and reading. Occasionally writing-intensive schoolwork will get in the way (like it's about to do soon), which will sap up a lot of my motivation to write, as after writing for homework writing some more doesn't seem like a suitable leisure activity, you know?

Bay

Years
I mean, I like reading. I love writing. I adore picturing my favorite characters in bed together. So, I figure why not?

Me too! XD

And also, haha would actually love to see that fic of yours Jax just for laughs. Really need it as I'll be needing to study for finals soon. >.>

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023

My lowest memory as an author was when someone told me to stop writing because I made his eyes bleed. But then I saw the cross in his name and his usertile stated that he was banned, so I naturally assumed that he was a troll and I lived happily ever after.

My highest would either be writing various chapters for Operation Main Frame and completing one-shots, because we know how pathetically lazy I am or it would be when de tals ov ultmat desstny got rave reviews.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
My lowest memory as an author was when someone told me to stop writing because I made his eyes bleed. But then I saw the cross in his name and his usertile stated that he was banned, so I naturally assumed that he was a troll and I lived happily ever after.

Wow. That's rude.

I almost fell for the 'banned' user title. xD

Unless...you really are...-shifty eyes-

But wait! xkcd says we don't have to do that anymore! And whatever xkcd says must be true!

That goes past the rules...but who cares! :D

-snorts and looks at AmberShipping banner-

Oh God!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Since on PC, the "banned" user title is "Booted out", and his name isn't crossed out, then he's not banned.

I figured that out...at first glance I was like 'ZOMG what'd Oni do?!'

If I'm interested in what the story has to do with, then yeah, I'll be back. You can bet on it. Mostly PokeSpe fics, in my case. Especially Fast Times at Samuel Oak High. I love stuff centered around high school, considering I'm a -cough- junior, and it's PokeSpe,

Writing them...I like to write. Crime? I think not.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Lowest: When one of my long-time readers decided to plagiarize my fic.

Highest: Chapter 37. Included my best piece of writing - a songfic scene that is sweet, heartwarming, and sappy all at once. I might post that as a one-shot here if folks don't mind spoilers for a fic that might not even get that far...

Writing: Right now, on the other forum, the end of my fic is very close at hand... about ten chapters to go! I feel the motivation to finish up my long-running project.

Reading: The few fics I still keep up with have engaging storylines and characters, and I just feel compelled to find out where the author is going with the story.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Oh, gee. Accept my apologies for being helpful. Won't make that mistake again.

-superglompAstinusinslowmotion-

Writing: Right now, on the other forum, the end of my fic is very close at hand... about ten chapters to go! I feel the motivation to finish up my long-running project.

Which reminds me...I still haven't posted the last chapter of my first fic. xD That is really sad...I should be grilled to well done for that.

Shows how much I hate that story...

Hey, anyone notice the sudden incline of fan fics? There's like...so many. I was shocked to find a lot of the ones I read during school on the...what, fourth and fifth pages? Kinda weird.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016

Reading: The story has to be interesting to me. Not many fics interest me for some reason, however, the ones that do interest me, return a lot.

Writing: I think reading the Manga motivates me to write more. I hate the DP Manga so much that it motivates me to make my fic better than it.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Highest: Chapter 37. Included my best piece of writing - a songfic scene that is sweet, heartwarming, and sappy all at once.
I also agree - yes, it means I'm getting close to being on track with your fic! Sorry for being slow, but the other fics are also interesting. :)
And for more of my highest, just click the link in my sig and read all my reviews. -points at bobandbill- :]
*Points back*

Lowest? Eh, I don't think I've had enough experiances to grant me a definite 'lowest' moment thus far... maybe whenever I have not writen for a while (like now :/), also when I was naive and had posted my prologue for the first time, and then waited some days for any sort of response for it... was wondering if anyone read it but at least had the sense not to go whinging or anything. Then I got one, and I was happy. :)

Highest - well, recently from responses to recent chapters, although I don't have a particular 'highest' moment just yet, methinks... bleh, I suck with this question.

The enjoyment of writing the chapters and coming up with ideas/jokes for it, and also the reviews are quite good as well. :) For reading - well, simply the distraction and enjoyment level it offers from homework/writing/other, and reviewing and helping others imporve is also enjoyable. Always liked reading books, and it's no different from reading fanfiction. Only with a higher chance of reading a bad story...

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years

Currently, absolutely nothing. My love triangle is taking up all my attention ^^;

Most of the time, just thinking of my characters is enough to inspire me to write, even though sometimes even I don't like what I'm writing. And I've sort of fallen out of reviewing except for my friends, and I can barely take anything in so my reviews are mostly advice and pointing out errors, and commenting on an event or two if I can manage it.

~Golden

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Several, in different ways.

My lowest in the "I am personally very embarrassed about this" sense would be when I, in my naivety, thought it would be a good idea to waltz into Farla's LiveJournal to protest a couple of her off-hand comments about how stupid my fic was, making myself look even stupider in the process. I'm still kind of hoping most of the people involved have forgotten about it. It was also rather low when it took me six months to get chapter 34 of The Quest for the Legends done. And when a ten-year-old plagiarized that fic by rewriting some chapters in her own words but copy-pasting others, turning it into first-person, changing the names and genders of the main characters, stealing some fake Pokémon to put in instead of the Pokémon characters that were originally in it, and butchering all the minor characters by mixing them together, randomly making them evil or whatever.

My highest moments would be when I won NaNoWriMo 2007 with The Fall of a Leader, when I figured out the final pieces of The Quest for the Legends' plot, and when Negrek recommended Morphic in a fic recommendations thread on Serebii (yeah, I'm pathetic).

I don't need outside motivation. I love my fics and want to finish them for my own sake. Even if nobody read my stuff, I'd still keep writing.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014

Lowest- My writing on 4kids. -shudders-

Highest- Eh, I got really honorable mention on this other site which is dead now ;;

Oh, and, against my will, Alter Ego says 'hi'.

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
Years

My lowest was writing the first Blazing Dreams saga. I got only a handful of reviews the entire time (through fifteen chapters), and at the end I had practically no reviewers at all. Which was depressing. And it's why I have no reviewers left from back then (besides Griff, of course).

My highest...was the launch of The Eternal Night. Within an hour (over at the green lagger) I had two (very good) reviews. One of which was easily the best one I had ever gotten, and I had sigged part of it for a long time. Since then, it seems, I've been on a roll where TEN is concerned. Especially as since the last chapter I've gotten three new reviewers as well. XD

Well...for me, it's a desire to continue improving. I know I'm not a perfect writer, and I will never be. But what keeps me going is just me improving from chapter to chapter, even if it's only a small improvement. For reading...for some, like the really good ones (and these I can count on two hands) I need no motivation to read them. For the rest, be them decent or just plain bad (I try to stay away from these in large part) I do it to help the writer improve. And it's nice to help them out, and then they'll start looking up to you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back