• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
If the books are at all like the movie, I know I wouldn't enjoy them. That movie was a pile of garbage and I rue the day that my younger brother insisted that I go and see it.
From EVERYTHING that I have heard - the book is many times better than what the movie was. In fact, that generally is the case with movies based on books.

The characters aren't that great (with some execptions), but it's one of the 'flawed' stories that I've liked. Not that I wouldn't have prefered it to be un-flawed. Admittedly I haven't read it for a while though, and have learnt more about writing and characters, so I probably would be more critical of it now...

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
I've often heard that Eragon was a good book, but I really have my doubts. I keep hearing most people give it overall praise and just one flaw. The most common flaws I hear about are these: The characters are one dimensional, the atmosphere is a rip-off of Tolkien, and the plot is a rip-off of Star Wars. Those kinds of flaws are generally the ones that really get on my nerves, so I highly doubt that I would enjoy the books.

If the books are at all like the movie, I know I wouldn't enjoy them. That movie was a pile of garbage and I rue the day that my younger brother insisted that I go and see it.

That's without mentioning his extremely shallow and useless female characters (and yes, Saphira is included in that) and his... ugh, I don't even want to get into how annoying it is to read descriptions of Arya. I'm not talking about necessary ones. I'm talking about ones that are just thrown in on sight to hammer home the fact that this is one incredibly hot elf-babe we're talking about here. Who just happens to own everyone in sight with both swords and magicks. And have a shot at romance with Eragon. And did I mention that, despite the fact that elves are all atheistic vegans in the Inheritance-verse, she wears leather? This all just screams "hormones, hormones, hormones". On the bright side, Paolini has taught me something else: never write characters of the opposite gender until you're sure you can get them right without resorting to a stereotype. Or you'll end up with people screaming that they were either inserts of the ideal girlfriend, or just plain stereotypic. And yes, that is why I've had zero female characters in Thief in the Night as of yet. I may introduce one in the next chapter, but I'm not sure about making a female heroine just because I can't seem to find a way to write a girl who seems to act natural. Maybe I should try a female character in a one-shot first, to see if I can get that right? Aw, I dunno. >.<

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
Years
*Refuses to join in for fear of admitting that she was one of the few who read the books and loved them due to a ten-year obsession with dragons which started because of a friend she later fell in love with*

What's your lowest moment as an author? Your highest?

My lowest was re-reading the first chapter of an old story which I had closed, seeing all the mistakes and hating myself for being stupid enough to actually post it. My highest was and still is the day when Saffire Persian first reviewed Visions Of Fate. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

~Golden

Bay

Years
Thesis: XD I don't think you need to worry too much if you'll have the opposite sex being steotypical or not. In fact, I think even female writers can make female characters steyotypical. There are a few fics I read written by females where the girls are obessive with makeup, rude, and yells a lot but at the same time the boys still like him. Wish fullfillment, I guess?

I think the lowest moment is one of the reviews I got for "Forever Young" at another forum. I thought at first it would placed high after a couple of my friends told me it's good, but it's at the bottom and I didn't realize how very weak the writing style is. XD I plan to rewrite that one shot one day, but not sure when...^.^;

My highest moment is probably one of the reviews DarkPersian479 gave in which he comments on one of the scenes and in which it was the best one he has seen in quite some time. I too quite like that scene. XD

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
Years
I honestly don't remember any lows. While I have written a few bad fics before, I didn't see them to be bad when I was writing them, and nobody ever made me feel like I should stop writing. If I had to choose, it would probably be the fact that I missed the 666 views on my current fic. (I had the page on 665, and when I refreshed it was 669.) So yeah, I haven't experienced anything that bad at all yet.

As for highs, my current fic is full of them. ^^ Seeing a new post in my thread makes me get giddy and every views milestone gets me the same way. My absolute highest point would've been when I returned home after posting my prologue in the morning and receiving way more posts and views than I expected, all of them positive. Not to say that I haven't experienced that with other chapters, but I came in expecting absolutely nothing, so it really threw me off. :D EricDaRed's comment about my fic being better than some published works of fiction, icomeanon6's comment about my fic being done perfectly, and Mewtwo42's comment that mine is his favourite fic have all been high points for me as well. ^_^

Being an author has been a great experience for me.

Scytheteen

What is mine is yours
Years
  • Age 29
  • NY
  • Seen Jan 29, 2014
Who are your literary influences?

Stephanie Meyer, S.E. Hinton, J.K. Rowling, and many more.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
I only started writing fanfiction a few months ago, so I don't think I've written anything devastatingly bad in that regard. However, I wrote some non-Pokemon related stories when I was younger, and several of them make me want to go back in time and slap myself upside the head. I think my worst was when I was around seven or eight, and I tried writing a fantasy story that just ended up being a Tolkien rip-off. Fortunately, at that age it didn't occur to me to post my stories on the internet. (whew.)

I would say that my best moment as an author was probably the comment from jeffback I got for my April FFC story. It was the first comment I had gotten that was more than 2 lines long, and it gave me the confidence I needed to keep going with my current fic.

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
Years
  • Age 36
  • Utah
  • Seen Nov 7, 2011
Who are your literary influences?

Uhh... I don't have as many literary influences anymore, but I remember thinking how cool Jonathan Stroud was when I read his Bartimaeus trilogy. In my younger years, Brian Jaques influenced me, because of my love for talking animal stories. (He was the one who inspired me give my first story's [which included talking cat-things called Felida, dragons, and Cerberus] Cerberus character and Irish-ish accent. xD

Umm, right now, influences are usually manga or anime-based, because I enjoy the series I watch (Like I'd love to have a twisty-turny plot like Baccano!'s that works). I still read a ton, but very few books are extremely influential at the moment that I'm reading.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Eh, actually it was just that he decided (or, more likely, the publisher convinced him) that the third book was becoming way too long and that it would be better split into two books. The third and fourth books together will just have the content of the originally planned third book.
I don't keep on top of news about those books, only what's posted in the anti-community that I'm a member of. And no one really feels like posting news unless it's mock-able.

And can I add that I really just don't care? Perhaps if he stopped running to the thesaurus for every word and writing paragraph after paragraph of things no one really cares about (and that are probably wrong anyway, such as the pristine butcher shop in medieval times), then the third book won't be as long? It's just a suggestion that's going to be thrown back at me because I is bein' mean to the prodigy. :s

Oh! Can I toss "lack of emotion" onto the list of flaws with the Inheritance series? Because I tried reading those books out loud, and it still wasn't doing anything for me.

Ew. We read that at the beginning of my -cough- sophomore year. But, that's all over now. I am...-cough- a junior.

It was a pretty interesting book. The movie was weird. The little British choir boys were marching down the shore singing something about Cheerios.
Perhaps I only enjoyed that book because of the undertones that I read into it? =D *loves her undertones that she reads into books that the author never meant to be*

Sydian

fake your death.
Years

My lowest...was when...no one read my story because they did not support the pairing. I know realize that was the problem, but at the time, I thought it meant I was really bad...

Highest...was when someone told me I write Shakespearian. And for more of my highest, just click the link in my sig and read all my reviews. -points at bobandbill- :]

Perhaps I only enjoyed that book because of the undertones that I read into it? =D *loves her undertones that she reads into books that the author never meant to be*

I'm hoping to read things more intersting in my -cough- junior year.

Gee. What's with all this coughing? Did anyone else cough when they became a -cough- junior?

darkcowboy

Gibbs is EVERYWHERE!
Years

well... my lowest moment was back in Jan. when I decided it would be cool to have some kind of super-clone of the main character. then i realized it's been done, so i scrapped the entire fic.

my highest was apparently the last chapter I wrote of AGC (A Guilty Conscience). A reader on another site told me that I had given excellent description, and chosen my words very well. Along with the fact that he enjoyed the action.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Astinus said:
I don't keep on top of news about those books, only what's posted in the anti-community that I'm a member of. And no one really feels like posting news unless it's mock-able.

And can I add that I really just don't care? Perhaps if he stopped running to the thesaurus for every word and writing paragraph after paragraph of things no one really cares about (and that are probably wrong anyway, such as the pristine butcher shop in medieval times), then the third book won't be as long? It's just a suggestion that's going to be thrown back at me because I is bein' mean to the prodigy. :s
Uh. You act like I'm some sort of rabid fan defending him. I know the books are bad and that it could probably all fit into one book if he'd lay off the purple prose. I do, however, severely dislike misquotations and other general misconceptions about other people, and if I see somebody spreading something decidedly untrue (like your statement that he was bringing out a fourth book "to please his rabid fans"), I'll step in to correct it. It's not an attack on you or expecting you to care why there's going to be a fourth book; it's just correcting what you said because it was not true so that this misconception doesn't spread any further.

txteclipse

The Last
Years

Lowest is right now. It's been three months and seven days since my last chapter release, and my readers more or less hate me right now.

My highest was probably my last three chapters in my book. Two chapters of intense action, and then an emotional chapter that made one of my readers cry. Not that I intentionally try to get my readers to cry...but it was a response that would be normal given the subject material (character confronting his brother's death).

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years

Lowest is right now. It's been three months and seven days since my last chapter release, and my readers more or less hate me right now.
Don't worry, I don't hate you!

(Then again, I'm not one of your readers, either, but whatever.)

Phanima

That servant of the evil one
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011

Well, I've only posted two fanfics on PC so far, let alone anywhere else on the net, so both my highest and lowest moments were right here. My first Other Writing fanfic went unnoticed even though I thought I did a pretty good job on it (not anymore though, looking back on it now is just...ugh) and so I thought I'd just give up FF-ing and focus more on RP-ing, which was what I actually did.

My highest moment would've been last night, when I posted my first chapter for the March FFC (2 months late xDD) and got comments almost immediately after submitting it. But I can see now why my first one didn't do so well, in comparison to Waste Days, my CCS FF is just...trash. Cx

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!!

I hate you. >.>

What do you think about the first fic you ever wrote?

-grabs the five sheets of paper, tears them up, puts them in the fire, throws water on the fire, eats the ashes, throws them up, burns them again, and throws them to the deepest part of the ocean-

I hate that thing. Hate it. I still didn't post the last chapter. Because...it sucks. Period.

But...I'm almost over that fiasco. I've decided to take another shot at ViridianShipping, but in oneshot form.

Phanima

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011
YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!!

I hate you. >.>

What do you think about the first fic you ever wrote?

-grabs the five sheets of paper, tears them up, puts them in the fire, throws water on the fire, eats the ashes, throws them up, burns them again, and throws them to the deepest part of the ocean-

I hate that thing. Hate it. I still didn't post the last chapter. Because...it sucks. Period.

But...I'm almost over that fiasco. I've decided to take another shot at ViridianShipping, but in oneshot form.

Is that a quote from said FF? And that was a rather graphic description of your feelings. C:

But in terms of what I think about my first FF, despite it being based on one of my most favouritist series evar, I can't help but dislike it. I actually can't comprehend what I was thinking when I was writing it and that I actually thought it was decent.

Hopefully, in the not too distant future I'll go back to it and do the series some justice.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Is that a quote from said FF? And that was a rather graphic description of your feelings. C:

No...I don't get on there; Thanks. xD

Mine is still up...sadly. To be riduculed forever. ;-; I can provide a link...if anyone likes ViridianShipping. -hides-

Phanima

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Oct 11, 2011
Not a big fan of the YellowxSilver-ness. :x But it does look interesting. *rumages trough SSS' old threads xP

And this has probably been asked already, considering the 236 pages, but what motivates you to keep reading and writing fanfics?

Personally, I have a really hard time sitting down and reading lengthy blocks of text, which is a little conceit but even my own FFs get a little daunting when I think about proof reading them. Of course, my attention span is tiny, so the only thing that'll keep me interested for long periods of time is if the story's about something I really like.

Strange since I love RP-ing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back