• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
  • I missed you peoples! -huggles-

*hugs back* I've missed you too. ;_;

Who are your literary influences?

I get a few bits from Shakespeare, but I've modeled most of my style after contemporary British authors like Neil Gaiman and, when I actually write humor, Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett. Straightforward and dark with serious fics, random or dryly ironic with comedies.

Bay

Years
  • Who are your literary influences?
    Ernest Hemingway and Tim O' Brian. Ernest as I read one of his books and love how he develop the characters, has powerful themes, and also his writing style. Tim O' Brian I love his writing style too and how his characters are really realistic.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    I've always been a fan of the better Science Fiction writers (I don't mean redundant Star Wars novels, I mean actual Science Fiction.) I got a great deal of influence for my current fic from Michael Crichton, I'm trying out his style of mixing a good deal of science (or at least pseudo-science) into the story. Isaac Asimov was another great writer, I've seen only a few novels with the same psychological depth that Foundation has.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Other fic writers, mostly. Honestly, I don't read enough literature:/

With that said, the Comfort Inn/Sleep Inn/Quality Inn hotel directories heavily influence my writing lol.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

Terry Brooks, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Shakespeare, Brian Jacques, Anne McCaffrey, Christopher Paolini, John Milton, and many, many more.

Other, non-literary works that influence my literature are the R-Type series, the Pokemon series *shot for being painfully obvious*, Okami, The Legend of Zelda series, the Myst pentilogy (I think that's a word), The Final Fantasy...thirteenilogy, Kingdom Hearts, Battlestar Galactica, and many, many more again.

I could just say my entire life, but that would be boring.

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2009

My main literary influence is Stephen King, but my other favorite authors are J.K. Rowling and Douglas Adams, so they may have influenced me as well.

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years

Stephen King, J. K. Rowling (even though I don't really like her books much any more, they still inspired me to write), Judith Clarke, Kerrie O'Connor, James Patterson, C. S. Lewis and Philip Pullman. I read all of their stories over and over.

~Golden

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Have you ever been frustrated at receiving purely positive reviews that don't offer any advice?
    Not really that frustrated, maybe annoyed at times though when I get the one liners that seem to crop up more and more often... sigh. Especially when I've seen a few more post, expect some nice constructive reviews to see several 'OMG it's teh best!', when I know it isn't the case to boot.
    Then again, they are good for the ego and happiness boosting. :)

*insert long and extensive list of authors who's books I have read, and some fanfic writers as well*

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016

I inspire me, to be honest. I honestly don't read as much as everyone else.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • What are your literary influences?

To be honest, I don't keep track. I try to write so that I can't look back at my own chapters and think "Oh my gosh, this sounds just like something written by/out of...". I get inspiration for character designs and a few aspects of personality from manga occasionally, but that's just about the only direct influence. I don't really try to emulate the styles of other writers. However, if we're talking about 'what authors do I enjoy and wish to be considered almost as cool as someday', I'd say that Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Edgar Allen Poe, and CS Lewis are all major favorites of mine. In terms of more contemporary authors... well, I'll just say that Christopher Paolini taught me how not to write fantasy. (Seriously, Eragon reads like a mish-mash of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Anne McAffrey's books. And Eragon turns into shiny canon stu by book two. And he's seriously bordering on wish-fulfilment character. Yeah, me no like.)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • well, I'll just say that Christopher Paolini taught me how not to write fantasy. (Seriously, Eragon reads like a mish-mash of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Anne McAffrey's books. And Eragon turns into shiny canon stu by book two. And he's seriously bordering on wish-fulfilment character. Yeah, me no like.)

I'm a little tempted to read these books now, just because everyone I know has said the same thing about them. XD

At the risk of sounding out of the loop, what exactly are they about? I know that there's a dragon involved and some sort of Chosen One, but...

And, really, is it worth it, if only to check them out/see why people say it teaches you how not to write a novel?

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • I've only read half of Eragon and seen the movie, but
    Spoiler:

Bay

Years
  • I'm a little tempted to read these books now, just because everyone I know has said the same thing about them. XD

At the risk of sounding out of the loop, what exactly are they about? I know that there's a dragon involved and some sort of Chosen One, but...

And, really, is it worth it, if only to check them out/see why people say it teaches you how not to write a novel?

I actually have one friend who likes the book and said they're quite good. XD

Anyways, I too wonder if it's worth it to be taught on how not to write...^.^;

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I've read both Inheritance Series books (Eragon and Eldest) and am anticipating the third book, which is coming out in September. I admit, Eragon is a horrible stu but I got into Star Wars and LoTR after reading the first book, so the similar plot-lines don't bother me much.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I actually hate reading.

Most of the people I've listed I've only read one or two works by them, mainly Ambrose Bierce(and that was actually a movie we watched).

I could go on a rant on why I dig their style, but you don't want to read that. xD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I missed you peoples! -huggles-
    Silver! *glompth*

It's not who you think. XD

Actually, Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman, first writers of the DragonLance series, were the ones who taught me a lot about writing. I would spend hours just reading those books, picking up their control of characters, thoughts, actions, and the world that they created, trying to place that in my own writing. Of course, they were influenced by J.R.R. Tolkein, so... But I've never read TLotR.

Lord of the Flies on the other hand is a definite favorite of mine.

Anti-Shur'tugal is love. <3 Cruise around the site and be amazed at how people can point out the errors of Paolini's ways!

The main character is a rather large Stu. I believe it was said that the magic of the world is a difficult thing to learn, but he picks it up quickly. Because he has t3h dragon, who really does nothing and is more like a horse. Neigh.

That said, I am buying the third book when it comes out, only because I have the first two (blame my mother. She's all like "He's young and published! He should be your hero!" And I'm all like "I have a hero! His name is Orson! ;-;") and I couldn't live without the complete set.

Of course, Paolini's all like "I might bring out a fourth book to not disappoint my obsessive fans!" So...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Silver! *glompth*

I've been glomped so much today, I think I'll break [virtual] bones.

Lord of the Flies on the other hand is a definite favorite of mine.

Ew. We read that at the beginning of my -cough- sophomore year. But, that's all over now. I am...-cough- a junior.

It was a pretty interesting book. The movie was weird. The little British choir boys were marching down the shore singing something about Cheerios.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Of course, Paolini's all like "I might bring out a fourth book to not disappoint my obsessive fans!" So...
    Eh, actually it was just that he decided (or, more likely, the publisher convinced him) that the third book was becoming way too long and that it would be better split into two books. The third and fourth books together will just have the content of the originally planned third book.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, seeing as we have taken to discussing Eragon, I too shall join in. There are flaws in the story, yes, but I found it enjoyable to read - story is decent, if a bit unlikely with all of the Chosen one-ness and the Gary-stu-ness of Eragon, who is also a tad one-dimensional (omg they killed my uncle I feel... that I want revenge. Yes, just revenge. Not remorse or sadness or anything - just a lust for REVENGE!)

But still a good read in my opinion.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Well, seeing as we have taken to discussing Eragon, I too shall join in. There are flaws in the story, yes, but I found it enjoyable to read - story is decent, if a bit unlikely with all of the Chosen one-ness and the Gary-stu-ness of Eragon, who is also a tad one-dimensional (omg they killed my uncle I feel... that I want revenge. Yes, just revenge. Not remorse or sadness or anything - just a lust for REVENGE!)

But still a good read in my opinion.
    I've often heard that Eragon was a good book, but I really have my doubts. I keep hearing most people give it overall praise and just one flaw. The most common flaws I hear about are these: The characters are one dimensional, the atmosphere is a rip-off of Tolkien, and the plot is a rip-off of Star Wars. Those kinds of flaws are generally the ones that really get on my nerves, so I highly doubt that I would enjoy the books.

If the books are at all like the movie, I know I wouldn't enjoy them. That movie was a pile of garbage and I rue the day that my younger brother insisted that I go and see it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back